- ✓ Check Prices
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Wine hotels in Piedmont
For some people, the true home of Italian wines is the Piedmont region. It has more DOCGs (the highest classification of Italian wines) than any other region within Italy. Piedmont is often likened to Burgundy because of its numerous small-scale, family wineries, and their demandingly high standards. As you’ll see from our guide, some of the best wine hotels of the Piedmont are around the hills of Le Langhe.
.This is where the majestic red tannic wines Barolo, Barbaresco and Barbera d’Asti are produced and where the Nebbiolo grape is revered. Amongst the white wines, sparkling Moscato d’Asti and Asti Spumante are the most famous.
Wine hotels in Piedmont for food-lovers
- Overlooking the vineyards around Asti, Castello di Villa is a raspberry-pink castle where elegant rooms have open beams and four-poster beds; some have hand-painted murals. It has an excellent wine list and menus of locally sourced food plus it’s within striking distance of around 50 Michelin-starred restaurants.
- Surrounded by its own vineyards, and with another exceptional wine list, Agriturismo Villa Tiboldi is a country house set in a dreamy location to the north of Alba. Enormous bedrooms have rugs on polished floorboards, lavish drapes and four-poster beds. The fine-dining restaurant is set amongst exposed brick walls and huge arched windows.
- Cookery lessons are just one of the treats on offer at La Villa, near Canelli - horse-riding, cycling, truffle-hunting are some of the others - a grand country mansion with contemporary-style, creamy bedrooms. There’s an outdoor pool, atmospheric restaurant and a 200-plus wine list.
Wine hotels in Piedmont for romance
- The pale blue Casa Pavesi, in Grinzane Cavour south of Alba, is a charming 19th-century townhouse hotel with pretty wrought-iron balconies, quiet gardens and a terrace where you can breakfast over views of Le Langhe hills. Generous-sized rooms, some with balconies and beamed ceilings, are floaty with drapes and the palest of colours.
- Tucked in a quiet village in the Langhe hills, Villa Beccaris, is a softly furnished, romantic retreat with beamed and frescoed ceilings. Walks from the villa take you deep into vineyards and truffle country. There’s also a stunning glass-walled dining room.
Wine hotels in Piedmont - agriturismi
- For complete relaxation, and set amongst its own vineyards, La Casa in Collina near Canelli takes some beating. This beautiful farmhouse - ice cream pink with pale blue shutters - has just six, antique-filled rooms (some with exposed stone walls), relaxing gardens and an infinity pool from which you can gaze over the vines.
- Tenuta La Romana, near Nizza Monferrato, is a handsome 18th-century farmhouse (built for a Count) surrounded by vineyards, and good truffle-hunting countryside. Rooms are large and traditional, with terracotta tiles and exposed beams, as befits the style of house.
- Nearby La Granica could not be more different. A barn conversion, its four bedrooms are crisp and uncluttered with honey-coloured woods, white walls and contemporary furnishings. A chic bar, elegant terrace and colourful gardens make for a relaxing stay.
Wine hotels in Piedmont - castles
- Set amongst the vineyards of Verduno and Barbaresco, south west of Alba, the 15th-century Real Castello does indeed feel like the ‘real thing’. Rooms are vast and traditional in style with highly polished floors, antique furnishings and painted wall-panels. The views from the terrace are stunning plus there’s a chance to take cookery lessons in the hotel’s kitchens.
- Set amongst the same vineyards, a little to the south-east, Castello di Sinio has a more contemporary take in its furnishings. Rustic-chic rooms are bright and colourful, often with white-painted exposed stone walls or beams. The dining-room extends into the herb-filled garden.
Wine hotels in Piedmont for townies
- Minutes from the centre of Alba, on a quiet backstreet, Palazzo Finati has airy, elegantly furnished rooms - some with balconies - a quiet courtyard and plenty of contemporary art; it often holds exhibitions, plus a vaulted basement breakfast room. It’s walking distance to restaurants.
The Piedmont region, particularly around Alba, is also famed for its heady - and expensive - white truffles. Choose to visit one of these wine hotels in Piedmont during the autumn harvest season and you will be in for a true gourmet feast.
La Villa, Piedmont 14 rooms from $217Piedmont
Set in spectacular Piedmont country this delightful hotel is the epitome of good taste. A perfect combination of comfort, good food, modern essentials, child and dog friendly, pool, bikes, riding, plus the largest concentration of top chefs and gourmet restaurants in Italy - ticks most of the boxes.Local markets - The region is well-known for its markets, seasonal local produce: truffles, cheese, hams, Amaretti biscuits, wineGood wine list - Over two hundred wines, Piedmont is one of the classic wines of Italy, and the Vatican's favouriteRestaurant - Recommended.Cooking classes - Learn how to cook pasta properly!Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Castello di Sinio 18 rooms from $189Piedmont
A delightful castle hotel set amongst vineyards. Modern rustic style with wooden beams, antique furniture and stone floors. Lovely gardens with herb plants, jasmine and bubbling fountains. Sweeping views, excellent Umbrian cuisine. A great choice for couples and gastronomy fans.Foodies - Extensive vineyard and wine tasting tours, cheese tasting, chocolate tasting, truffle hunting and various annual food festivalsRomantic Break - Stunning Baroque chuch and belltower sitting atop a medieval village and sweeping views of forest and vineyardsSights nearby - Sinio, Serralunga, Alba, La Morra and Monforte D'AlbaLocal markets - Food markets in Alba, Dogliani, Asti
Real Castello 17 rooms from $145Verduno, Piedmont
A beautiful and authentic hotel in a former castle. Large rooms are filled with antiques and elegant furnishings. Traditional restaurant with sweeping views over stunning grounds. Lots of wine tasting in the region. A great choice for families or couples, especially those interested in wine.Views - Fab views over the Langhe district, the Tanaro valley, the Roero district and the AlpsHistoric - A beautiful 15th century castle with whitewashed walls and green shutters.Wine tasting - Vineyards of Verduno and Barbaresco and tours of hotel wine cellarsFoodies - Many vineyards nearby including Verduno Pelaverga
La Casa in Collina 6 rooms from $91Canelli Asti, Piedmont
A gorgeous Italian farmhouse still retained as a private residence with its own vineyards. Traditional rooms have stone walls, iron bedsteads, and antique furniture. Lovely gardens, buffets in the summer, and a pool to cool off in. The perfect spot to unwind in the tranquil countryside.Views - Wonderful views over the hotel's vines.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorGreat walks - Good for walkers.
Casa Pavesi 12 rooms from $160Grinzane Cavour, Piedmont
Pretty hotel in 19th century house. Elegant rooms feature four poster beds, wooden floors and views of Langhe Hills. Large gardens and sun terrace where breakfast is served. Great value, superb location with plenty to do.Local exploring - Dozens of cycling trails, wine tasting, historic castles and traditional eateries near this charming hotelSights nearby - Grinzane Cavour and its castleRomantic - Good for couples.Great walks - Good for walkers.
La Granica 4 rooms from $177Asti, Piedmont
Chic hotel amongst vineyards. Rooms inside the barn building are contemporary- high ceilings, Japanese-style four-poster bed, chandeliers and French windows. Outdoor pool, terrace and gardens. Elegant bar and sumptuous hotel lounge. Bohemian, authentic and relaxed.Country Escape - Chic interiors in idllyic surroundings; day trips abound or simply enjoy the vineyards and outdoor poolSights nearby - Fontanile, a small village crowned by a magnificent church domeLocal markets - Wednesday morning produce market at AstiGreat walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
Villa Beccaris 23 rooms from $160Piedmont
Lovely hotel in the hills with glorious views. Elegant rooms have either wooden beamed or frescoed ceilings, antique furniture and cream furnishings. Outdoor pool, gardens and sun terrace. Breakfast is served in glass dining room. Romantic and ideal for wine lovers.Foodies - Hotel is in the Langhe vineyard region, and guests can also go on white truffle huntsGreat walks - Seven routes originating in the village that lead to delightful farmsteads, chapels, woods and vineyardsSights nearby - Scarampi palace and the Piazza dell'Antica ChiesaRomantic - Good for couples.
Tenuta La Romana 20 rooms from $91Nizza Monferrato, Piedmont
Built by an 18th century Count, enjoy the rural life at this former farmhouse. Truffles are the local speciality and you will see them, as well as other regional delicacies & wines on the menu. Rooms are traditional in style with terracotta tiles, exposed beams, large windows and four poster beds.Great walks - There are scenic walks a plenty through the Rocchetta Tanaro Natural Park.Cooking classes - Learn the arts of the 'Cuisine of Piedmont'.Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolFull of character
Agriturismo Villa Tiboldi 10 roomsCanale Cuneo, Piedmont
A glorious country house surrounded by its own vineyards and boasting an extensive wine cellar. Beautiful romantic bedrooms and suites have four poster beds and soft pastel furnishings. Lovely gardens, views, and a pool, as well as a fine dining restaurant. Perfect for a romantic break.Foodies - Extensive wine list and gourmet Italian cuisine.LuxuryRomantic BreakFour poster beds - For romantics.
Castello di Villa 14 rooms from $87Isola d'Asti, Asti
Stunning castle hotel overlooking vineyards. The large rooms have four poster beds, murals, beamed ceilings and big bathrooms. Outdoor pool, manicured gardens, terrace and library. Outstanding menu of locally sourced produce, excellent wine list. Ideal for a stop on a foodie trip of the region.Foodies - Over 50 Michelin starred restaurants to choose from in Piedmont, as well s day trips to the vineyards of BaroloSights nearby - Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta and San Gottardo di AstiLocal markets - In nearby AlbaRomantic - Good for couples.
Palazzo Finati 4 rooms from $171Alba
A lovely little B&B set on a quiet backstreet moments from the centre of Alba. Charming rooms and suite have lots of space, elegant furnishings, and all the mod cons. The hotel hosts contemporary art exhibitions. Breakfast in the basement and walking distance to all the attractions.Outstanding location - Located on a quiet backstreet but moments from the city centre.Sights nearby - Piazza del Duomo, the town main square.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Fodors