The 15 Best Boutique Hotels in Rome
Rome is beautiful and inspiring. A place to visit again and again. Because there are just so many reasons to want to be in this city. Home to astounding works of art and sites of great historical significance, modern Rome is also a great place to eat and drink and a breathtaking place to explore on foot. Use our guide to the best boutique hotels in Rome and start to plan your stylish Roman city break.
The mish-mash of Rome’s architecture, which includes the Colosseum, the Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps, the Forum, and other great ruins, statues and fountains is fascinating to get lost amongst. And in all this beauty you’ll find the highlights from our Guru’s list of the best boutique hotels in Rome. Some have been converted from 16th, 17th, 18th and 19th century buildings, some were once palaces or villas, while some are new additions to the landscape. Because, if you’re here to appreciate the beauty of Rome then you might want to treat yourself to beautiful surroundings when you’re in your hotel as well. And the best boutique hotels in Rome can certainly deliver.
The Best Boutique Hotels for a City Break
- The Gigli d’Oro Suites is a sophisticated collection of six suites in an aristocratic residence close to the Piazza Navona and the historic centre of town. The decor is modern, but with beautiful parquet floors and oil paintings. Very private.
- Close to the Colosseum and the Forum, the Palazzo Manfredi has exceptional views of both from its excellent rooftop restaurant. It also has 16 chic rooms, suites and apartments decorated in a contemporary style. This is how to do Rome in style.
- Four hundred metres from the Pantheon, G-Rough is a hip collection of ten rooms and suites in a converted 17th century townhouse. There’s beautiful parquet floors and original tiles, an eclectic mix of retro style furniture and a great roof terrace and bar.
- The Relais Orso is close by, also just steps from the Piazza Navona and the Pantheon. Converted from a 17h century townhouse into a 15 room hotel, its suites are cool and contemporary and there’s a roof garden with great views. There’s also a Mediterranean restaurant.
- Close to the Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain, the Piazza di Spagna 9 has six individually decorated rooms plus its own contemporary art gallery. There’s also a Turkish steam bath.
- Or you might try Babuino 181, which is almost right next door, a 24 room, boutique hotel with a fabulous breakfast terrace and easy access to the main shopping streets.
The Most Romantic Boutique Hotels in Rome
- If you’re looking for something both beautiful and special, the Villa Spalletti Trivelli may be your answer. A quintessentially noble Roman townhouse with 12 tranquil rooms and suites and beautiful living spaces decorated with tapestries, oil paintings and doric columns. The food is excellent and there’s a library, spa and gardens.
- Peaceful and romantic, San Anselmo is a rather flamboyant Baroque style hotel with all the mod. cons. and plenty of personality. Overlooking the Sant’Anselmo Church, you’re in range of all the main attractions, but in a quieter pocket of town.
- Pepoli 9 is a collection of six stunning, opulent suites in a grand building in a quiet part of Rome, but well within reach of the main attractions, and just five minutes walk from the Colosseum.
The Best Design Hotels in Rome
- The Portrait Suites is a super smart collection of luxurious suites in the fashion district. Each suite is large and light, with a private terrace, haute couture designer furniture, marble bathroom and kitchenette.
- The Villa Laetitia is a fashionable boutique hotel on the river Tiber with design by the Fendi family. They’ve gone for marble pillars, antique fabrics, black and white chequered flooring and Art Deco furniture.
- Leon’s Place is a contemporary design hotel just ten minutes from the Villa Borghese Park. There are 56 rooms, plus a sauna and spa.
The Best Boutique Hotels for Families
- Casa Fabbrini, right by the Spanish Steps, is a 16th century townhouse turned five room boutique B&B, with wonderfully rustic-meets-design chic style, which is warm and welcoming. Each room is unique and there are lovely public spaces too. And a hearty breakfast.
- Margutta 54 is a slick collection of six suites in a central, but peaceful mews. The suites are large and minimalist with all the modern gadgets you might require.
The Best Value Boutique Hotels in Rome
- For unbeatable value and indisputable boutique credentials, Relais Rione Ponte cannot be topped! With just nine rooms and suites, all beautifully finished and all adorned with seriously cool modern artworks, it's the place to book for any art lover who wants to be bang in the centre of the city (right on the Piazza Navona) but not break the bank!
- The Art Nouveau Lord Byron doesn’t call itself a boutique hotel, but it’s certainly along those lines, with 32 beautiful rooms and suites, all with marble bathrooms, many with fantastic wallpaper and details and some with private terraces.
Still not sure which to book?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Rome,
- expand your search to include the best luxury hotels in Rome?
- the 10 best hotels in Central Rome? or the best hotels in the heart of old Rome,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
The 15 Best Boutique Hotels in Rome
Relais Rione Ponte Rome 9 rooms from £129Exclusive offer - EXCLUSIVE RATES for clients of The Hotel GuruLocal exploring - With its central location on the Piazza Navona, most of Rome's highlights are accessible on foot.Value chic - A great value option in the heart of Rome.Sights nearby - The Pantheon and Trevi Fountain are both on the doorstep.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
Gigli d'Oro Suites Rome 6 rooms from £174Romantic Break - The elegant suites offer total privacy and are complete with whirlpool tubsCity Style - An old aristocratic house beautifully renovated mixing the old and the newFamilies - The one apartment is well suited to families and has a kitchenette tooSights nearby - Located just behind the Piazza Navona in the historic centre of town. Easy access on foot to most sights.Recommended by - Tablet
Palazzo Manfredi Rome 16 rooms from £276Local exploring - Located besides the Colosseum, as a location, it doesn't get much better than thisFamilies - Children are well looked after with a babysitting service and kids' menus5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Sights nearby - Next to the Colosseum and Roman ForumRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Relais & Chateaux, Tablet
G-Rough Rome (Navona) 10 rooms from £479Sights nearby - A stone's throw from the Piazza Navona and just 450m from the PantheonCity Style - Achingly trendy interiors - certainly not one for traditionalists!Local markets - Immerse yourself in the daily marketsFull of characterRecommended by - Tablet
One of the hippest spots in town, at G-Rough you'll find a unique blend of luxury living and trendy design finishes giving this 17th century townhouse a very urban vibe. Parquet floors & original tiles come with an eclectic mix of retro style furniture. Roof terrace for chilling and buzzy bar. See More
Relais Orso Rome 15 rooms from 249Restaurant - The restaurant Vicolo 88 offers traditional Medietrranean dishes and wine from the cellars of the houseSuites - Central glass walled showers built into the living rooms, suites with private jacuzzi and terraceRoof terrace - Sip cocktails on the roof deck with fabulous panoramic views of the citySights nearby - A stone's throw from Piazza Navona in the heart of Rome's historical centreRecommended by - Tablet
Just steps away from Piazza Navona and the Pantheon this sleek hotel, a 17th century town house in quiet cobbled street, is beautifully placed in the heart of Rome within walking distance of all the main sights. Cool contemporary suites, restaurant and pretty roof garden with city views. See More
Piazza di Spagna 9 Rome 6 rooms from £258City Style - The hotel itself doubles up as an art and design exhibition, it doesn't get much trendier than thatRomantic Break - Unwind in the Turkish steam bath, designed for twoSights nearby - Just next to The Spanish Steps and Fontana di TreviDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.
Located in the heart of Rome, this designer Mansion is uniquely decorated and boasts its very own contemporary art gallery. There are six individually decorated guest rooms and a Turkish steam bath for relaxing after a day's sightseeing. The perfect blend of contemporary and classic Roman elegance. See More
Villa Spalletti Trivelli Rome 12 rooms from £495City Style - Elegant interiors are traditional and glorious, filled with antiques, this is a very stylish stayFamilies - A multitude of activities for children, including a gelato making classSights nearby - 200m from the Quirinale Presidential Palace and 5 mins from the Trevi fountainLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Tablet
A quintessentially noble Roman townhouse renovated to perfection. Tranquil, classic, and aristocratic rooms, suites, and living areas in a peaceful neighbourhood. Marble fireplaces, oil paintings, Doric columns, tapestries throughout. Excellent food, libraries, gardens, and spa. Very special. See More
Pepoli 9 Rome 6 rooms from £164Local exploring - Look down from your window and admire the Roman Baths of CaracellaCity Style - Cool contemporary style accented with chic modern artworkSights nearby - Just a 5 minute drive from the Coliseum and ealking distance from Terme di Caracalla.Romantic - Good for couples.
Six elegant suites located within a grand building in a quiet part of Rome. Stunning suites are contemporary in style and design yet reminiscent of Roman opulence. Indulgent bathrooms, the best featuring enormous bathtubs. Well positioned to reach this historic city's attractions. A luxurious base. See More
Portrait Suites Rome 11 rooms from £555Local exploring - Located right beside the Spanish Steps this is a very central location for exploring the cityCity Style - Owned and designed by the Ferragamo family, this is an unsurprisingly stylish boutique stayDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Luxury boutique suites in Rome's fashion district. Like the shops below, these suites are just as fashionable and come with an equally expensive price tag, with good reason. Each suite boasts enormous space, haute couture designer furniture, marble bathrooms, kitchenettes and private terraces. See More
Villa Laetitia Rome 15 rooms from £126Local exploring - Well placed just a 15 minute stroll from Piazza del PopoloCity Style - A very chic stay designed by one of the Fendi sistersSights nearby - 15 mins walk to the Piazza del Popolo and easy access to the VaticanDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.
Fashionable boutique hotel designed by the Fendi family. Set in luscious gardens alongside the river Tiber. Attention to detail throughout the rooms and living areas is spectacular - marble pillars, antique fabrics, black and white chequered flooring, 1930s art deco furniture. Tranquil and trendy. See More
Leon's Place Rome 56 rooms from £189City Style - The hotel enjoys a wonderful location so go exploring on foot or make use of the many local bus routes to get to know the cityBusiness meetings - Situated in the business district and with its own meeting room facilities, this is a classy spot for a business get togetherRomantic Break - Stay in a beautiful room, go sightseeing together during the day and enjoy evening drinks in the glamorous Visionnaire CafèLocal markets - Plenty of local options whether it be Mercato Testaccio, Porta Portese Flea Market or Mercato Trionfale
This hotel is located in central Rome, just ten minutes away from Villa Borghese park. It features contemporary and spacious air-conditioned rooms, some of which have wonderful views of the city. Be sure to unwind in the sauna or hot spring bath after a long day sightseeing. A classy, upmarket spot. See More
Casa Fabbrini Rome (13) 5 rooms from £164Value chic - This sleek and stylish B&B is great value, especially in the low season- centrally located and full of quirky charm.Local exploring - In a quiet and secluded street yet right in the middle of centro storico, the perfect spot for culture vultures!Great walks - Wander the narrow lanes and cobbled streets of Rome’s centro storico.Sights nearby - The nearby Spanish Steps cannot be missed.
A 16th century townhouse, turned boutique B&B, in central Rome. Think country style interiors with a modern twist, with exposed wooden beams and designer furniture. The uniquely decorated rooms exude rustic charm and a warm welcoming ambience. Enjoy a hearty breakfast before checking out the sights. See More
Margutta 54 Rome 6 rooms from £217Local exploring - With a very central address and a very knowledgeable host (Alberto Moncada) who can give you endless local tipsFamilies - Well suited to families with the option of using the sofabed or otherwise booking interconnected roomsSights nearby - A stone's throw from the Spanish StepsDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet
Lord Byron Rome 32 rooms from £148City Style - An effortlessly stylish hotel designed in an Art Noveau style and located in the upscale Parioli districtGreat walks - Situated just behind the Borghese Gardens, perfect for a strollSights nearby - Be sure to take a tour of the Vatican CitySecluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Tablet, Small Luxury Hotels, Frommers