The 20 Best Boutique Hotels in Rome
Historic Rome is arguably one of the world's most exciting cities to visit with its world-renowned historic sites, art galleries and museums, and then (of course) the food. So it is hardly surprising that the city is also packed full of excellent hotels. However, when pushed, our Hotel Gurus always lean towards a boutique stay due to their independent feel and unique design. With this in mind, our hotel experts have compiled a collection of the best boutique hotels in Rome selected on their design, location, service, and amenities. Whether you want a crash pad in the heart of the city, an all-out luxury base, a design-led hotel, or a property fit for romance — there is something to suit most tastes and budgets here. So why not browse through our collection to start planning your next city break?
For the location
- Casa Fabbrini is a 16th-century townhouse turned five-room boutique B&B set right beside the Spanish Steps. Interiors are rustic-meets-design chic which creates a warm and welcoming feel. Each room is unique and there are lovely public spaces too.
- The Gigli d’Oro Suites is a sophisticated collection of six suites in an aristocratic residence close to the Piazza Navona and the historic centre of town. The decor is modern, but with beautiful parquet floors and oil paintings. Very private.
- Close to the Colosseum and the Forum, the Palazzo Manfredi has exceptional views of both from its excellent rooftop restaurant. It also has 16 chic rooms, suites and apartments decorated in a contemporary style. This is how to do Rome in style.
- Four hundred metres from the Pantheon, G-Rough is a hip collection of ten rooms and suites in a converted 17th-century townhouse. There are beautiful parquet floors and original tiles, an eclectic mix of retro style furniture and a great roof terrace and bar.
- Close to the Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain, the Piazza di Spagna 9 has six individually decorated rooms plus its own contemporary art gallery. There’s also a Turkish steam bath.
- Spagna Royal Suite is a stylish hotel in the heart of the Piazza de Spagna (Rome's city centre), where you'll find urbane and luxurious rooms with fashionable furnishings and mosaic ensuite bathrooms. The perfect launchpad for a weekend exploring Rome.
For great value
- Want to stay in a great little boutique hotel, but not blow the budget? We'd recommend the Relais Rione Ponte. It's less than five minutes from the Pantheon and Piazza Navona, offers five-star amenities in its nine chic rooms and also hosts a permanent art exhibition. A fantastic boutique find!
- D.O.M Hotel is an intimate five-star hotel occupying a former 17th-century palace on the elegant Via Giulia. Rooms are contemporary with hand-selected artisanal and design pieces. Complete with a contemporary Italian restaurant. Pick this stay for the location and the service.
- Hotel Vilon is a luxury boutique hotel set in a heritage building annexed to Palazzo Borghese. The 16th-century property has been renovated to offer bright modern rooms with unique design pieces. With a gourmet restaurant, this is a very comfortable stay.
For city style
- Eitch Borromini is a plush hotel overlooking Piazza Navona. This property lies within a 17th-century palace designed by Italian architect Francesco Borromini. Suites have a classical feel and feature antique furnishings and luxurious linens. Complete with a chic rooftop bar, this is a stylish choice.
- Domus Libera is an intimate boutique hotel located in the historic centre of Rome. Rooms are dressed in a simple elegant style. Expect Italian design pieces, Hermès toiletries, and plush Rivolta Carmignani bedding. A classic stay.
- Corso 281 is an exclusive hotel occupying an 18th-century building on Via del Corso. Rooms are dressed in an aristocratic style and combine hand-selected design pieces with unique artworks. While adults will enjoy the private art collection, the spacious family suite makes this a good choice for families.
- Campo Marzio Luxury Suites is a boutique hotel situated in the heart of Rome. The individually styled rooms feature international design pieces and luxury linens. The most spacious suites offer a free-standing bathtub and a modern fireplace and easily accommodate a small family. A sleek and modern city bolt-hole.
- If you’re looking for something both beautiful and special, the Villa Spalletti Trivelli may be your answer. A quintessentially noble Roman townhouse with 12 tranquil rooms and suites and beautiful living spaces decorated with tapestries, oil paintings and doric columns. The food is excellent and there’s a library, spa and gardens.
- Peaceful and romantic, San Anselmo is a rather flamboyant Baroque style hotel with all the mod. cons. and plenty of personality. Overlooking the Sant’Anselmo Church, you’re in range of all the main attractions, but in a quieter pocket of town.
- Residenze Torre Colonna is a luxury boutique guesthouse set in the centre of Rome. Romantic rooms have four-poster beds and modern art. A roof terrace with a hot tub and wonderful city views complete the picture.
For a design hotel
- Nerva Boutique Hotel is a chic boutique hotel boasting the most central of locations. Smart rooms are a design masterpiece with dog-tooth check fabrics and minimalist furniture set against dark blue walls. The marble bathrooms are equally luxurious. This property has it all.
- The Portrait Suites is a super-smart collection of luxurious suites in the fashion district. Each suite is large and light, with a private terrace, haute couture designer furniture, marble bathroom and kitchenette.
- The Villa Laetitia is a fashionable boutique hotel on the river Tiber with design by the Fendi family. They’ve gone for marble pillars, antique fabrics, black and white chequered flooring and Art Deco furniture.
- Leon’s Place is a contemporary design hotel just ten minutes from the Villa Borghese Park. There are 56 rooms, plus a sauna and spa.
- Horti 14 is an exclusive concept hotel located in the heart of Trastevere. Rooms feature original works by artist Lucamaleonte, crisp linens and wood accents. Complete with a roof terrace bar and garden, this is a smart contemporary hotel.
Still not sure where to book?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Rome.
- Expand your search to include the best luxury hotels in Rome or the best hotels in Central Rome or the best hotels in the heart of old Rome.
- Alternatively, contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Gigli d'Oro Suites Rome 6 rooms from £174Romantic Break - The elegant suites offer total privacy and are complete with whirlpool tubsCity Style - An old aristocratic house beautifully renovated mixing the old and the newFamilies - The one apartment is well suited to families and has a kitchenette tooSights nearby - Located just behind the Piazza Navona in the historic centre of town. Easy access on foot to most sights.Recommended by - Tablet
Palazzo Manfredi Rome 16 rooms from £383Foodies - Michelin starred regional and Mediterranean fare is created by chef Giuseppe Di Lorio and served on the spectacular terraceOther Activities - Live the ultimate Italian experience by taking the house Lamborghini out for a spinFamilies - Children are well looked after with a babysitting service and kids' menusLocal exploring - Located beside the Colosseum; it doesn't get much better than this!Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Five-star luxury next to the Colosseum and the Forum with exceptional views of both from an excellent roof top restaurant. Chic rooms, suites, and apartments are decorated in a contemporary-classic design. With fantastic food, unique views, and wellness too - this is Rome in style. See More
G-Rough Rome (Navona) 10 rooms from £334Boutique - Boutique style sees vintage pieces by leading Italian designers set in a stripped-back historic building — very chicHotel Entertainment - The hotel's ‘Unconventional Experiences’ include unique experiences like tours of the city via VespasChic - Cool from the outset: guests are checked in at the bar over a welcome coffee or proseccoCity Style - Achingly trendy interiors — certainly not one for traditionalists!Recommended by - Tablet
One of the hippest spots in town, at G-Rough you'll find a unique blend of luxury living and trendy design finishes giving this 17th century townhouse a very urban vibe. Parquet floors & original tiles come with an eclectic mix of retro style furniture. Roof terrace for chilling and buzzy bar. See More
Relais Rione Ponte Rome 9 rooms from £156City Style - Sleek, modern rooms and suites are beautifully appointed and all feature original contemporary artworksLocal exploring - With its central location on the Piazza Navona, most of Rome's highlights are accessible on footViews - Rooms overlook the Piazza di Tor Sanguigna and Piazza delle Cinque LuneValue chic - A great value option in the heart of Rome
Piazza di Spagna 9 Rome 6 rooms from £280Architectural - The passion project of interior designer Stefania Grippo who's created an unfussy architectural space with bespoke design piecesCity Style - The hotel doubles up as an art and design exhibition — it doesn't get much trendier than that!Sights nearby - Just next to the Spanish Steps and Fontana di Trevi — this is well placed for city exploringRomantic Break - Unwind in the Turkish steam bath, designed for twoRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Located in the heart of Rome, this designer Mansion is uniquely decorated and boasts its very own contemporary art gallery. There are six individually decorated guest rooms and a Turkish steam bath for relaxing after a day's sightseeing. The perfect blend of contemporary and classic Roman elegance. See More
Villa Spalletti Trivelli Rome 12 rooms from £382Families - A multitude of activities for children, including a gelato making class, make this a great choice for familiesCity Style - Elegant interiors are traditional and glorious, filled with antiques, this is a very stylish staySights nearby - 200m from the Quirinale Presidential Palace and 5 mins from the Trevi fountainAntiques - Antiques from the family's collection adorn the roomsRecommended by - Tablet
A quintessentially noble Roman townhouse renovated to perfection. Tranquil, classic, and aristocratic rooms, suites, and living areas in a peaceful neighbourhood. Marble fireplaces, oil paintings, Doric columns, and tapestries throughout. Excellent food, libraries, gardens, and a spa. Very special. See More
San Anselmo Rome 34 rooms from £104Charming - Interiors are charmingly traditional with period furniture, Liberty-style molding on the Venetian plaster, and framed mirrorsOther Activities - Experience the twilight hours on Palatine Hill with splendid views over the Roman Forum, Circus Maximus and the ColosseumHideaway - An off the beaten track location in a residential neighbourhood on Aventine Hill, perfect for a quiet city breakRomantic Break - For a romantic stay choose the Deluxe room with a clawfoot tub topped with a crown canopyRecommended by - I Escape, Tablet
Portrait Roma Rome 14 rooms from £649Luxury - A very exclusive feel with discreet service, a dedicated ‘lifestyle team’ and a guest-only rooftop barLocal exploring - Located right beside the Spanish Steps this is a very central location for exploring the cityDesigner - Owned and designed by the Ferragamo family, this is an unsurprisingly stylish boutique staySuites - An all-suite hotel (each is vast) and there are fun little touches like video fireplacesRecommended by - Tablet
Luxury boutique suites in Rome's fashion district. Like the shops below, these suites are just as fashionable and come with an equally expensive price tag, with good reason. Each suite boasts enormous space, haute couture designer furniture, marble bathrooms, kitchenettes and private terraces. See More
Villa Laetitia Rome 15 rooms from £195City Style - A very chic stay designed by one of the Fendi sisters expect original frescoes set besides well chosen contemporary artworksConcierge - Nothing is too much here whether you want a personal butler, a packing and unpacking service or just a bike to rentGood wine list - Anna carefully curated a signature wine collection of vintages hand picked from the best vineyards in ItalyLocal exploring - Well placed just a 15 minute stroll from Piazza del Popolo yet within a lovely quiet neighbourhood
Fashionable boutique hotel designed by the Fendi family. Set in luscious gardens alongside the river Tiber. Attention to detail throughout the rooms and living areas is spectacular - marble pillars, antique fabrics, black and white chequered flooring, 1930s art deco furniture. Tranquil and trendy. See More
Campo Marzio Luxury Suites Rome (Spagna) 5 rooms from £217City Style - The suites' individual styles and international design pieces make this hotel a high scorer in city styleLocal exploring - The hotel's central location makes it a great base for exploring RomeFamilies - The spacious deluxe rooms are perfect for a small familySights nearby - Visit the famous Piazza Barberini, a late medieval square with Gian Lorenzo Bernini's 17th-century Triton Fountain at its centre
These boutique suites are situated in the heart of Rome. The individually styled rooms are named after famous Roman figures and feature international design pieces and luxury linens. The most spacious suites offer a free-standing bathtub and a modern fireplace. A sleek and modern city bolt-hole. See More
Residenze Torre Colonna Rome 5 rooms from £203Boutique - With unique design, individualised service, and a top location — this is a luxurious boutique baseLocal exploring - Perfectly located at the bottom of Via Nazionale just moments from Piazza VeneziaCity Style - Stylish interiors mix medieval style with contemporary design to great effectArtworks - Works by contemporary artist Natino Chirico adorn the walls
A chic boutique hotel centrally located with spectacular rooftop views over Rome. Romantic bedrooms have four-poster beds, white-washed walls, and flashes of modern art on the walls. With exclusive rooftop views, a hot tub, and access to nearby galleries and designer shops - this is a trendy stay. See More
Leon's Place Rome 56 rooms from £189City Style - The hotel enjoys a wonderful location so go exploring on foot or make use of the many local bus routes to get to know the cityBusiness meetings - Situated in the business district and with its own meeting room facilities, this is a classy spot for a business get togetherRomantic Break - Stay in a beautiful room, go sightseeing together during the day and enjoy evening drinks in the glamorous Visionnaire CafèLocal markets - Plenty of local options whether it be Mercato Testaccio, Porta Portese Flea Market or Mercato Trionfale
This hotel is located in central Rome, just ten minutes away from Villa Borghese park. It features contemporary and spacious air-conditioned rooms, some of which have wonderful views of the city. Be sure to unwind in the sauna or hot spring bath after a long day sightseeing. A classy, upmarket spot. See More
Casa Fabbrini Campo Marzio Rome (13) 5 rooms from £164Value chic - This sleek and stylish B&B is great value, especially in the low season; plus it's centrally located and full of quirky charm.Local exploring - In a quiet and secluded street yet right in the middle of centro storico, the perfect spot for culture vultures!Great walks - Wander the narrow lanes and cobbled streets of Rome’s centro storico.Sights nearby - The nearby Spanish Steps cannot be missed
A 16th century townhouse, turned boutique B&B, in central Rome. Think country style interiors with a modern twist, with exposed wooden beams and designer furniture. The uniquely decorated rooms exude rustic charm and a warm welcoming ambience. Enjoy a hearty breakfast before checking out the sights. See More
Domus Libera Rome (Trevi) 6 rooms from £140City Style - With its central location and luxurious rooms featuring Italian design pieces, this hotel has reams of Roman styleRomantic Break - Couples love to luxuriate in the hotel's designer bedding; book a suite with a bathtub for added indulgenceHideaway - Book a plush suite and hideout indoors at this pretty boutique hotelSights nearby - Visit Piazza Venezia, Rome's central hub located a stone's throw from this hotel
This intimate boutique hotel is located in the historic centre of Rome. Rooms are dressed in a simple, elegant style and boast exposed wooden beams; expect Italian design pieces, Hermès toiletries and plush Rivolta Carmignani bedding. Book a superior room to enjoy a pretty balcony. A stylish stay. See More
Nerva Boutique Hotel Rome (Rione Monti) 19 rooms from £268Concierge - Whether you want a babysitter, a chauffeur driven Mercedes or a personal shopper — the concierge is on-handContemporary - Chic modern style includes pops of colour, bold patterns, geometric prints and limited-edition artworksLocal exploring - Ideally located just steps from the Colosseum and beside the wall of the Forum of NervaFamily Suites - The spacious Family Suite has two bedrooms and two bathrooms for a luxe family getawayRecommended by - Tablet, Mr & Mrs Smith
A chic boutique hotel boasting the most central of locations. Smart rooms are a design masterpiece with dog-tooth check fabrics and minimalist furniture set against dark blue walls. The marble bathrooms are equally luxurious. A short stroll from the city's main attractions, this property has it all. See More
Hotel Vilòn Rome (Spagna) 18 rooms from £619Romantic Break - The romantic views of the palazzo gardens from the cosy rooms make this hotel popular with couplesCity Style - Connected to a renowned, heritage palazzo in Rome, this hotel has plenty of city styleLocal exploring - Set in a central location in Rome, this hotel makes a great base for local exploringSights nearby - Visit the nearby landmark Sant'Agostino, one of the first Roman churches built during the RenaissanceRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Great Small Hotels
This luxury hotel occupies a heritage building annexed to Palazzo Borghese in Rome. The 16th-century building has been renovated to offer bright, modern rooms with unique design pieces; the best suites have a terrace with views of the palazzo gardens. Eat at the gourmet restaurant; a stylish stay. See More
Corso 281 Rome (Pantheon) 12 rooms from £423Local exploring - Located in the heart of historic Rome, and close to local shopping streets, this hotel is great for exploring the cityFamilies - The executive suite can host four people and is ideal for families travelling with childrenCity Style - The luxurious design of the suites has guests falling in love with this stylish hotelSights nearby - Visit the nearby Church of St Louis, the French national church in Rome and home to several Caravaggio paintingsRecommended by - Tablet
This exclusive hotel occupies an 18th-century building on Via del Corso. Rooms are dressed in an aristocratic style and blend hand-selected design pieces with unique artworks; the best suites have a pretty terrace with French doors. Discover the hotel gallery's private collection. A stylish break. See More
Horti 14 Rome (Trastevere) 17 rooms from £172City Style - This four-star boutique hotel has reams of chic Italian city style with smart design, elegant rooms, and a tranquil gardenLocal exploring - Located in a stylish neighbourhood in Rome, close to local attractions, this hotel is perfect for exploring the cityRomantic Break - Book a room with a luxurious Italian marble tub for added indulgence on your romantic getawaySights nearby - Visit nearby Basilica di Santa Maria in Trastevere, a church known for its 12th-century mosaics and lavish interior
This exclusive concept hotel is located in the heart of Trastevere. Rooms feature original works by artist Lucamaleonte, crisp linens and wood accents; book a deluxe room to enjoy a marble Italian bathtub. Relax with a drink on the terrace or in the roof garden. A smart, contemporary hotel. See More
Spagna Royal Suite Rome 19 rooms from £149Chic - With playful décor (think, a stiletto-shaped bathtub), live music, & a lively cocktail bar — this is a youthful and vibrant stayRomantic Break - A luxurious, romantic place to stay in the Italian capital, with sleek and stylish suites, funky modern art and design features.Local exploring - The hotel's central location places it within easy reach of Rome's major sights such as the Trevi Fountain and PantheonWellbeing - Book the one of the Classic Wellness rooms for a private sauna or steam bath in-room
A flamboyant hotel in the heart of the Piazza de Spagna, in Rome's city centre. Urbane and luxurious rooms have fashionable Italian furniture and mosaic ensuite bathrooms. Added luxuries in some rooms include saunas or steam rooms. With a chic cocktail bar, this is a youthful city base. See More
Eitch Borromini Rome (Navona) 18 rooms from £227City Style - Situated in a building designed by one of Italy's most famous architects, you can't get more Italian style than this hotelRomantic Break - The bright and airy suites and the hotel's historic surroundings make this a great romantic getawayLocal exploring - The central location makes this hotel a great base for local exploringSights nearby - Visit nearby Castel Sant'Angelo, commissioned by the Roman Emperor Hadrian as a mausoleum for himself
This plush hotel sits within a 17th-century palace designed by Italian architect Francesco Borromini overlooking Piazza Navona. Suites have a classical feel, featuring antique furnishings and luxurious linens; the best offer spectacular city views. Don't miss the rooftop terrace bar. A unique hotel. See More
D.O.M Hotel Rome (Navona) 18 rooms from £250Foodies - Verve Restaurant serves fabulous Roman cuisine using the freshest local ingredients. Opt for one of the fabulous tasting menus!Local exploring - With its central location, this hotel is the perfect base for exploring the local sights, most of which can be reached on footRomantic Break - Couples love the hotel's plush linens as well as the cosy, low-lit barSights nearby - The hotel is a few steps from Piazza Navona on one side and minutes from St. Peter’s Basilica and the Vatican on the other
This intimate, five-star hotel occupies a former 17th-century palace on the elegant Via Giulia, Rome. Rooms are contemporary with hand-selected artisanal and design pieces; a warm palette adds a homely feel to the suites. Sample modern takes on Italian classics at the restaurant. An inviting hotel. See More