The 20 Best Hotels in the Heart of Old Rome
Old Rome was once the city centre and therefore this is where you’ll find many of the city’s ancient treasures including the Pantheon, the Colosseum, the Spanish Steps and the Forum. This is also a great place for old piazzas filled with small shops and centuries-old architecture. The appeals to staying in this part of the city are obvious and there are a good selection of hotels to choose from. Our hotel experts advise that some of the best hotels in the heart of Old Rome have roof terraces or balconies to enjoy this beautiful part of the city from. Our collection of our Hotel Gurus' favourite hotels in the area have something for everyone whether you are looking for a converted palazzo, a stylish design-led stay, a family-friendly hotel, or a chic boutique. So why not browse through our list to start planning your next city break?
- Roma Luxus Hotel is a five-star hotel housed in a renovated 18th-century palace in the Roman Forum. Rooms are smart and spacious with hand-selected design pieces. The best suites offer a private hot tub and terrace. Complete with a spa and good restaurant, this is an indulgent choice.
- D.O.M Hotel is an intimate five-star hotel occupying a former 17th-century palace on the elegant Via Giulia. Rooms are contemporary with hand-selected artisanal and design pieces. Complete with a contemporary Italian restaurant, pick this stay for the location and the service.
- Hotel de'Ricci is a luxury hotel located off the exclusive Piazza De' Ricci. Suites are dressed in a vintage style, with frescoes and hand-selected antiques. The hotel's professional sommeliers will guide you through a private wine tasting before dinner. A very chic stay.
For a heritage hotel
- Le Quattro Dame is a heritage hotel occupying a former private residence in central Rome, close to Piazza Venezia. Rooms are dressed in a warm, neutral palette, allowing the building's classical features to do the talking; the best suites boast original frescoes and elegant Meridiani sofas. An elegant choice.
For a boutique property
- Argentina Residenza is a pretty boutique hotel that takes its name from the renowned archaeological site it faces in central Rome. Interiors beautifully mix modern styles with the building's original features. An exclusive choice with a stylish bar.
- Residenze Argileto is a contemporary design hotel located in the stylish Monti neighbourhood. Rooms boast four-poster beds and original artworks. Pick this for the extras including a hot tub, roof terrace, and spoiling spa. An upmarket boutique hotel.
- Nerva Boutique Hotel is a chic boutique hotel boasting the most central of locations. Smart rooms are a design masterpiece with dog-tooth check fabrics and minimalist furniture set against dark blue walls. The marble bathrooms are equally luxurious. This property has it all.
- Eitch Borromini is a plush boutique hotel overlooking Piazza Navona. This property lies within a 17th-century palace designed by Italian architect Francesco Borromini. Suites have a classical feel and feature antique furnishings and luxurious linens. Complete with a chic rooftop bar, this is a stylish choice.
- Hotel Monte Cenci is a boutique hotel located in the heart of Rome, a short walk from the Pantheon. Rooms blend modern interior design with classic Italian style influences, with all made-in-Italy furnishings. With a chic rooftop bar, this is a hip stay.
- HT6 Hotel is part of the prestigious Pantheon Collection. This new boutique hotel is located in the heart of Rome's old town. Individually styled rooms boast wooden flooring and Art Deco wallpaper; the best suites are split-level and offer a private Turkish bath. A very sleek option.
- Singer Palace occupies a 20th-century palace set between the Pantheon and the Trevi Fountain in central Rome. Rooms are warm and stylish with modern Italian furnishings, and breakfasts are served with a view on the rooftop terrace — this is a chic boutique.
- Hotel Raphael is an eco-hotel with a rooftop restaurant serving award-winning biodynamic cuisine with views of the Basilica. Rooms and suites are luxurious and opulent, featuring red and gold decor, High Renaissance artwork, and marble-clad bathrooms. Pick this for bygone grandeur with environmental sensibilities.
For a special occasion
- You might try the Palazzo Manfredi, with just 16 luxurious rooms, suites and apartments, many of which actually have views onto the Colosseum and Forum, as well as an excellent rooftop restaurant with amazing views.
For a city style
- In one of the hippest spots in town, G-Rough is both luxurious and hip. This townhouse, built in the 17th-century, still has its beautiful parquet floors and original tiles but it’s also got a fantastic collection of retro furniture in the rooms. Plus there's a cool roof terrace and it’s only 450 metres from the Pantheon and even closer to the Piazza Navona.
- The Capo d'Africa is a sleek, retro, mid-sized hotel with a gorgeous roof terrace overlooking the Colosseum and the bell tower, a gym, bar and a restaurant which serves great pasta.
- Along the same vein is Forty Seven, a contemporary boutique hotel, also with a fantastic roof terrace restaurant, and plush bedrooms, some with private terraces.
- Or you might try the Locanda Cairoli, a chic, comfortable hotel with a charming garden and the air of a private home.
- The Due Torri is surprisingly peaceful, considering its central location, and offers 26 elegant rooms and four family apartments, in a building which was once home to Cardinals, Bishops and famous noble families.
- The Inn at The Roman Forum is a beautiful hotel with 14 charmingly decorated bedrooms, suites and family rooms and a lovely rooftop terrace, positioned right between the Colosseum and the Roman Forum.
- Martis Palace Hotel is an elegant four-star hotel situated in a heritage building in central Rome. Rooms are modern with wooden floors and stylish design pieces. Dedicated family rooms are great for travelling with children. Complete with a roof terrace and restaurant, this is a refined hotel.
- Corso 281 is an exclusive hotel occupying an 18th-century building on Via del Corso. Rooms are dressed in an aristocratic style and blend hand-selected design pieces with unique artworks. While adults will enjoy the private art collection, the spacious family suite makes this a good choice for families.
Still not sure which to book?
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Rome.
- Refine your list to great hotels near the Colosseum or the best hotels in Trastevere.
- You might consider our Guru’s list of the best hotels near the Vatican or our recommendations for great hotels near the Colosseum.
- You could also review our articles recommending the best boutique hotels in Rome or the best family hotels in Rome.
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Palazzo Manfredi Rome 16 rooms from £383Foodies - Michelin starred regional and Mediterranean fare is created by chef Giuseppe Di Lorio and served on the spectacular terraceOther Activities - Live the ultimate Italian experience by taking the house Lamborghini out for a spinFamilies - Children are well looked after with a babysitting service and kids' menusLocal exploring - Located beside the Colosseum; it doesn't get much better than this!Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Five-star luxury next to the Colosseum and the Forum with exceptional views of both from an excellent roof top restaurant. Chic rooms, suites, and apartments are decorated in a contemporary-classic design. With fantastic food, unique views, and wellness too - this is Rome in style. See More
Capo d'Africa Rome 65 rooms from £118Boutique - With refined decor and exemplary service that caters to guests' every whim, this is a charming boutique staySights nearby - Located in the heart of Imperial Rome, a stone's throw from the ColosseumTownhouse - The hotel was once a school built in the early 20th-centuryHotel Entertainment - There is live jazz music every Tuesday and Friday eveningRecommended by - Tablet
A sleek contemporary hotel in the shadow of the Colosseum in the heart of Rome. A gorgeous roof terrace overlooks the city bell tower and Colosseum. Expect attentive staff and rooms with cool retro style. There's an excellent gym, a Centrum bar and La Terrazza serves standout pasta. A chic stay. See More
Forty Seven Rome 61 rooms from £213Romantic Break - The suites have a private panoramic terrace, an ideal spot to enjoy a glass of wine with your significant otherCity Style - With each floor dedicated to a master of twentieth-century Italian art, this is a very stylish stayHotel Entertainment - With an in-house cinema and a billiards rooms, there is plenty to do to unwind at the hotelArtworks - Expect to find striking contemporary art pieces throughout the propertyRecommended by - Tablet
A contemporary boutique hotel with a fantastic roof terrace restaurant. Plush bedrooms and suites have parquet floors, huge comfy beds and all the modern gadgetry. Magnificent views from private terraces and the roof top. Romantic and stylish enough for the modern traveller. See More
Locanda Cairoli Rome 15 rooms from £153Full of character - With a mix of original features, modern artworks, & traditional furniture this hotel feels much like staying in someone's homeLocal exploring - Well positioned in the city centre offering easy access to the Pantheon Temple and other major sitesClose to nightlife - Trastevere offers a unique and eclectic variety of nightlife optionsSights nearby - Close to Piazza Navona and The Pantheon
A chic, comfortable hotel in central Rome. Clean, crisp rooms follow a blue and yellow theme, with individual details such as floral arrangements and artworks. Close to the Piazza Navona, this is perfect for local exploring. A classic hotel with the air of a private home. See More
Due Torri Rome 26 rooms from £104Local exploring - Well located In a quiet alley just a few steps from Piazza Navona, the Pantheon, the Spanish Steps, and the VaticanFamilies - Spacious Family Suites sleep up to four people making this a comfortable option for those travelling with kidsDesigner Shopping - Conveniently located for shopping at the fashion boutiques at Via del Corso and Via Cola di RienzoHistoric - Previously the building housed Cardinals, Bishops, and famous noble Roman famillies
The Inn at The Roman Forum Rome 14 rooms from £200Local exploring - As the name suggests, this property is just a stones throw from one of Rome's major attraction, the Roman ForumRomantic Break - Pick one of the rooms with a balcony, four-poster, and a large whirlpool tub for a very romantic baseHideaway - It may be in the heart of the city, but the quiet alley it sits on feels hidden awayChic - The building is ancient, however, the interiors have a chic contemporary feelRecommended by - Tablet
A beautiful guesthouse well located near the Colosseum. Attractively decorated bedrooms, suites and family rooms have a contemporary classic style, while the best have mahogany four-poster beds, fireplaces, and private balconies. A lovely rooftop terrace is a bonus. Ideal for city exploring. See More
Roma Luxus Rome (Rione Monti) 30 rooms from £138City Style - With rooms featuring Italian design pieces, and a trendy restaurant and bar on-site, there is plenty of city style at this hotelRomantic Break - The dramatic setting and luxurious suites score highly with couples; book a room with a hot tub for added indulgenceLocal exploring - Located within the historic Roman Forum, this hotel is a perfect starting point for exploring the local sightsSights nearby - Explore Trajan’s Markets, 2 minutes’ away from the hotel; the site features remains of what was once the hub of imperial Rome
This luxury, five-star hotel is housed in a renovated 18th-century palace in the Roman Forum. Rooms are smart and spacious with hand-selected design pieces; the best suites offer a private hot tub and terrace. Relax in the exclusive spa before dining at restaurant Madre. An indulgent getaway. See More
Argentina Residenza Rome (Pantheon) 6 rooms from £140Local exploring - Sitting opposite one of Rome's most famous archaeological sites, this hotel is perfectly located for exploring the local sightsHoneymoons - Book a suite with a hot tub for a honeymoon with an added sense of luxuryRomantic Break - Couples love the luxurious suites and the romantic hotel barSights nearby - Explore Largo di Torre Argentina opposite the hotel, a famous archaeological site and home to a colony of catsRecommended by - Tablet
This pretty boutique hotel takes its name from the renowned archaeological site it faces in central Rome. Rooms are dressed with luxurious soft furnishings in soft pastels; book the Junior Suite to enjoy a private hot tub. Relax with a drink at the sleek hotel bar in this exclusive Roman guesthouse. See More
Le Quattro Dame Rome (Pantheon) 6 rooms from £156Local exploring - The location in Trastevere district and the apartment-style rooms make this ideal to dip in & out of like a localCity Style - The hotel's historic building, plus the thoughtful, designer touches, make it a stylish Italian staySights nearby - Visit the Pantheon and Piazza Navona, both within easy walking distance of the hotelRomantic Break - Couples will love the attention to detail at this beautiful heritage hotelRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
This heritage hotel occupies a former private residence in central Rome, close to Piazza Venezia. Rooms are dressed in a warm, neutral palette, allowing the building's classical features to do the talking; the best suites boast original frescoes and elegant Meridiani sofas. A stylish boutique hotel. See More
G-Rough Rome (Navona) 10 rooms from £334Boutique - Boutique style sees vintage pieces by leading Italian designers set in a stripped-back historic building — very chicHotel Entertainment - The hotel's ‘Unconventional Experiences’ include unique experiences like tours of the city via VespasChic - Cool from the outset: guests are checked in at the bar over a welcome coffee or proseccoCity Style - Achingly trendy interiors — certainly not one for traditionalists!Recommended by - Tablet
One of the hippest spots in town, at G-Rough you'll find a unique blend of luxury living and trendy design finishes giving this 17th century townhouse a very urban vibe. Parquet floors & original tiles come with an eclectic mix of retro style furniture. Roof terrace for chilling and buzzy bar. See More
Martis Palace Hotel Rome (Navona) 26 rooms from £181City Style - Situated in a historic, 16th-century Roman building, this hotel is full of local charm and styleLocal exploring - With its central location, this hotel is a great starting point for local exploring in RomeFamilies - The interconnected family suites are perfect for families travelling with childrenGreat walks - Stroll through the Giardini di Montecavallo: pretty, landscaped gardens with several nearby art galleries
This elegant, four-star hotel is situated in a heritage building in central Rome. Rooms are modern with wooden floors and stylish design pieces; family rooms are great for travelling with children. Enjoy panoramic views from the hotel's roof terrace before dining at the restaurant. A refined hotel. See More
Corso 281 Rome (Pantheon) 12 rooms from £423Local exploring - Located in the heart of historic Rome, and close to local shopping streets, this hotel is great for exploring the cityFamilies - The executive suite can host four people and is ideal for families travelling with childrenCity Style - The luxurious design of the suites has guests falling in love with this stylish hotelSights nearby - Visit the nearby Church of St Louis, the French national church in Rome and home to several Caravaggio paintingsRecommended by - Tablet
This exclusive hotel occupies an 18th-century building on Via del Corso. Rooms are dressed in an aristocratic style and blend hand-selected design pieces with unique artworks; the best suites have a pretty terrace with French doors. Discover the hotel gallery's private collection. A stylish break. See More
D.O.M Hotel Rome (Navona) 18 rooms from £250Foodies - Verve Restaurant serves fabulous Roman cuisine using the freshest local ingredients. Opt for one of the fabulous tasting menus!Local exploring - With its central location, this hotel is the perfect base for exploring the local sights, most of which can be reached on footRomantic Break - Couples love the hotel's plush linens as well as the cosy, low-lit barSights nearby - The hotel is a few steps from Piazza Navona on one side and minutes from St. Peter’s Basilica and the Vatican on the other
This intimate, five-star hotel occupies a former 17th-century palace on the elegant Via Giulia, Rome. Rooms are contemporary with hand-selected artisanal and design pieces; a warm palette adds a homely feel to the suites. Sample modern takes on Italian classics at the restaurant. An inviting hotel. See More
Singer Palace Rome (Pantheon) 30 rooms from £379Local exploring - Nestled between the Pantheon on one side and the Trevi Fountain on the other, you can't get a more central location than thisCity Style - Housed in a heritage property, updated with contemporary, chic interiors, this hotel has plenty of modern Roman styleRomantic Break - Couples love starting the day on the hotel's beautiful roof terrace with panoramic views of RomeSights nearby - Visit two of Rome's most famous sights, both a short walk from the hotel: the Pantheon and the Trevi FountainRecommended by - Tablet
This hotel occupies a 20th-century palace set between the Pantheon and the Trevi Fountain in central Rome. Rooms are warm and stylish with modern Italian furnishings; the best suite offers a private terrace and separate living space. Enjoy breakfast with a view on the rooftop terrace; a chic hotel. See More
Hotel De'Ricci Rome (Navona) 8 rooms from £364City Style - Located in an exclusive, high-end part of the city centre, in a plush, heritage building, this hotel has reams of Roman styleLocal exploring - With Rome's main attractions within walking distance of the hotel, this is a great base for your local exploringRomantic Break - Couples love the boutique feel of this hotel and the exclusive wine experiences on offerSights nearby - Visit the nearby Piazza Navona, an elegant square dating from the 1st century A.D. with a classical fountainRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
This luxury hotel is located off the exclusive Piazza De' Ricci in Rome. Suites are dressed in a vintage style, with frescoes and hand-selected antiques; the best offer a private balcony. Let the hotel's professional sommeliers guide you through a private wine tasting before dinner. A chic stay. See More
HT6 Hotel Rome (Pantheon) 21 rooms from £312Local exploring - Set within one of the most famous archaeological sites in Rome, this hotel is the perfect place to start your local exploringCity Style - WIth individually dressed rooms and unique design pieces, this hotel has plenty of Italian styleRomantic Break - Couples love the suites' plush linens and the cosy hotel barSights nearby - Visit the Roman Forum, one of the most famous sites in Rome and within walking distance from the hotel
Part of the prestigious Pantheon Collection, this new boutique hotel is located in the heart of Rome's old town. Individually styled rooms boast wooden flooring and Art Deco wallpaper; the best suites are split-level and offer a private Turkish bath. Enjoy an aperitif at the cosy bar; a sleek hotel. See More
Hotel Raphael Rome 50 rooms from £184Romantic Break - Relax in one of the hotel's sprawling top floor suites — marble-clad bathrooms, views of the Pantheon, and opulent decorFoodies - Award wining chefs lead rooftop restaurant Mater Terrae that serves exceptional vegetarian, gluten-free, and meat dishesCity Style - With rooms decorated with Picasso artwork, gold and red decor, and marble furnishings, this urban hotel exudes opulenceLocal exploring - Located just a stone's throw away from St Peter's Basilica and the Pantheon, this hotel is superbly locatedRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Hotel Raphael is an eco-hotel with a rooftop restaurant serving award-winning biodynamic cuisine with views of the Basilica. Rooms and suites are luxurious and opulent, featuring red and gold decor, High Renaissance artwork, and marble-clad bathrooms. Bygone grandeur and environmental sensibility. See More
Hotel Monte Cenci Rome (Pantheon) 30 rooms from £245Local exploring - Located in the historic Regola district just a stone's throw from Rome's sights, this hotel is a great base for local exploringRomantic Break - Pick one of the Deluxe rooms which offer romantic tubs and chromotherapy showers for a couples' hideawayCity Style - With Italian-made furnishings and chic interiors, this hotel has reams of city styleWalking distance restaurants - Some of the city's best dining is within walking distance
This new boutique hotel is located in the heart of Rome, a short walk from the Pantheon. Rooms blend modern interior design with classic Italian style influences, with all made-in-Italy furnishings; book the Prestige Room for a huge private terrace. Don't miss the chic rooftop bar; a stylish hotel. See More
Residenze Argileto Rome (Rione Monti) 20 rooms from £207Hideaway - With free access to the spa when you book a room, and a bar and roof terrace on-site, this is a great Roman bolt-holeCity Style - With its design focus and first-class facilities, this boutique hotel oozes Italian city styleRomantic Break - Couples will fall in love with the romantic rooftop terrace and hot tubSights nearby - Visit the ancient Roman Forum and the Colosseum, both a short distance from this hotel
This contemporary design hotel is located in the stylish Monti neighbourhood in Rome. Rooms boast four-poster beds and original artworks, as well as smartphones with local SIM cards. Relax in the hot tub on the hotel's roof terrace before a treatment in the tranquil spa. An upmarket boutique hotel. See More
Nerva Boutique Hotel Rome (Rione Monti) 19 rooms from £268Concierge - Whether you want a babysitter, a chauffeur driven Mercedes or a personal shopper — the concierge is on-handContemporary - Chic modern style includes pops of colour, bold patterns, geometric prints and limited-edition artworksLocal exploring - Ideally located just steps from the Colosseum and beside the wall of the Forum of NervaFamily Suites - The spacious Family Suite has two bedrooms and two bathrooms for a luxe family getawayRecommended by - Tablet, Mr & Mrs Smith
A chic boutique hotel boasting the most central of locations. Smart rooms are a design masterpiece with dog-tooth check fabrics and minimalist furniture set against dark blue walls. The marble bathrooms are equally luxurious. A short stroll from the city's main attractions, this property has it all. See More
Eitch Borromini Rome (Navona) 18 rooms from £227City Style - Situated in a building designed by one of Italy's most famous architects, you can't get more Italian style than this hotelRomantic Break - The bright and airy suites and the hotel's historic surroundings make this a great romantic getawayLocal exploring - The central location makes this hotel a great base for local exploringSights nearby - Visit nearby Castel Sant'Angelo, commissioned by the Roman Emperor Hadrian as a mausoleum for himself
This plush hotel sits within a 17th-century palace designed by Italian architect Francesco Borromini overlooking Piazza Navona. Suites have a classical feel, featuring antique furnishings and luxurious linens; the best offer spectacular city views. Don't miss the rooftop terrace bar. A unique hotel. See More