The 6 Best Hotels in the Heart of Old Rome
Old Rome, the Centro Storico, or the Historic City of Rome, was the former city centre and where you’ll find many of Rome’s ancient treasures, including the Pantheon, the Colosseum, the Spanish Steps and the Forum. This is also a great place for old piazzas filled with small shops and centuries-old architecture, and of course where you’ll find the best hotels in the heart of Old Rome.
You’ll find the best hotels in the heart of Old Rome within the Aurelian walls, to the left of the Tiber river. There are 22 different districts to choose from, from the Campo Marzio, which is where you’ll find the Spanish Steps and the ‘Water Clock’ to the Trevi, which has a number of great fountains and palaces, to the Pigna, which is where you’ll find the Pantheon and the Piazza Venezia and the Celio which is where you’ll find the Colosseum, several basilicas and the Arch of Constantine.
Each district has its own treasures, but it’s feasible to walk between all of them. As well as finding some incredibly historic views in the best hotels in the heart of Old Rome, you’re also surrounded by a wealth of cafes and restaurants, littering the architecturally magnificent squares and piazzas.
For A Special Occasion
- Or you might try the Palazzo Manfredi, with just 16 luxurious rooms, suites and apartments, many of which actually have views onto the Colosseum and Forum, as well as an excellent rooftop restaurant with amazing views.
For a city break
- The Capo d'Africa is a sleek, retro, mid-sized hotel with a gorgeous roof terrace overlooking the Colosseum and the bell tower, a gym, bar and a restaurant which serves great pasta.
- Along the same vein is Forty Seven, a contemporary boutique hotel, also with a fantastic roof terrace restaurant, and plush bedrooms, some with private terraces.
- Or you might try the Locanda Cairoli, a chic, comfortable hotel with a charming garden and the air of a private home.
- The Due Torri is surprisingly peaceful, considering its central location, and offers 26 elegant rooms and four family apartments, in a building which was once home to Cardinals, Bishops and famous noble families.
- The Inn at The Roman Forum is a beautiful hotel with 14 charmingly decorated bedrooms, suites and family rooms and a lovely rooftop terrace, positioned right between the Colosseum and the Roman Forum.
Still not sure which to book?
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Rome
- refine your list to great hotels near the Colosseum, or the best hotels in Trastevere
- You might consider our Guru’s list of the best hotels near the Vatican, or our recommdendations for great hotels near the Colosseum
- You could also review our articles recommending the Best boutique hotels in Rome or the 10 Best Family Hotels in Rome?
- Alternatively you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Palazzo Manfredi Rome 16 rooms from £276Local exploring - Located besides the Colosseum, as a location, it doesn't get much better than thisFamilies - Children are well looked after with a babysitting service and kids' menus5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Sights nearby - Next to the Colosseum and Roman ForumRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Relais & Chateaux, Tablet
Capo d'Africa Rome 65 rooms from £162Roof terrace - A roof terrace is pretty specatucualr in Rome, and this roof terrace is no exceptionSights nearby - Located in the heart of Imperial Rome, a stone's throw from the ColosseumTownhouse - The hotel was once a school built in the early 20th-centuryRestrictions on children - Adults only propertyRecommended by - Tablet
Contemporary, sleek hotel in the shadow of the Colosseum in the centre of Rome. Gorgeous roof terrace over looking the city bell tower and Colosseum. Attentive staff. Bedrooms are retro and stylish. Excellent gym, cool Centrum bar and La Terrazza serves the best pasta. Near perfect urban hotel. See More
Forty Seven Rome 61 rooms from £148Romantic Break - The suites have a private panoramic terrace, an ideal spot to enjoy a glass of wine with your significant otherCity Style - With each floor dedicated to a master of twentieth-century Italian art, this is a very stylish staySights nearby - Located across from the Roman Forum's Temple of VestaLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Tablet
Contemporary boutique hotel with a fantastic roof terrace restaurant. Plush bedrooms and suites have parquet floors, huge comfy beds and all the modern gadgetry. Magnificent views from private terraces and the roof top. Romantic and stylish enough for the modern traveller. See More
Locanda Cairoli Rome 15 rooms from £95Great walks - Wander the streets towards the Spanish Steps and explore the rabbit warren streets.Local markets - Explore the nearby Portico d’Ottavia, the Jewish quarter of Rome.Sights nearby - Close to Piazza Navona and The PantheonLively area - In the thick of the action.
Due Torri Rome 26 rooms from £104Local exploring - Location is perfect for those wishing to emerce themsevles in Rome and explore like a local.Historic - Previously the building housed Cardinals, Bishops, and famous noble Roman famillies.Families - Four small apartments are ideal for accommodating families.Great walks - Right in the historic heart of Rome, wander the streets and get a feel for the Eternal City.
The Inn at The Roman Forum Rome 14 rooms from £160Romantic Break - As the name suggests this property is just a stones throw from one of Rome's major attraction, the Roman ForumHideaway - It may be in the heart of the city, but the quiet alley it sits on feels hiddenSights nearby - Located between the Roman forum and the Colosseum and there's many other attractions in walking distanceRecommended by - Tablet, Small Luxury Hotels