17 Great Rural Hotels in Sicily
Sun drenched and beautiful, Sicily’s rural landscape is dramatically diverse, with views that range from neat, lush green grapevine rows, to sprawling meadows, to rough, scrubby mountains, to smoke-coloured volcanoes. And of course the food is perennially good, grown in the rich, volcanic soil, under the warmth-giving sun. And the wines equally so. All best experienced on a terrace with a view of whence they came. Which is why we think our recommendations for great rural hotels in Sicily probably have a direct cross-over with our recommendations for the best places to stay in Sicily. If you’re here to eat and drink, or to walk, or explore, or discover, or to learn, or if you’re looking for an escape, or for a romantic bolt-hole, then our list of the best country hotels in Sicily is for you.
Hotels with a fabulous view
- In the foreground are rows of vines, then comes the pinky walls of the vineyard buildings and wine press, and beyond that the mountains, all the way up to Etna. That’s the view from the pool of the Cavanera Etnea Resort. This ten room hotel is part county wine estate, part luxury resort. As well as touring the grounds and winery you can also do plenty of tastings, and the staff know all the best places to eat and drink in the vicinity. The rooms are simple but luxurious, with fantastic floor tiles made from local black lava!
- La Foresteria Planeta Estate is another luxurious wine estate with incredible views. In this instance beyond the bright rows of grapes you can see all the way to the ocean. And all of the 14 rooms have private terraces or balconies, so every room has a private view. Plus the view from the pool, and the pool terrace, and the restaurant with its beautiful outdoor dining area and from the sitting room’s vast windows. Each of the rooms has been individually decorated with unfussy period pieces. The restaurant is excellent, and has a huge kitchen where they also offer authentic Sicilian cooking classes.
- The Masseria Agnello has been converted from a wine estate just outside Realmonte, which is renowned for its beautiful vineyards and incredible views of hills that roll into mountains, and of the coast. The main building has been carefully restored and now houses the restaurant and public rooms, plus there are ten hotel rooms converted from the servants quarters and stables. Everywhere you look, there are original features. There’s also a pool, a patio with a view, and a garden. And a traditional Italian restaurant where guests can also take cooking classes.
For a rural escape
- For privacy and stylish luxury in a serene setting consider the Country House Villadorata, an extremely elegant guesthouse set on a vineyard close to Noto. This is an ideal spot for a country escape, with just eight beautifully dressed rooms and suites, and a private villa with its own pool. There’s plenty of space if you want to bring your family, but space enough so that you can just be on your own if you’re looking for somewhere romantic. The organic restaurant is excellent, and the pool has a wonderful view.
- Southeast Sicily’s Wine Relais Feudi del Pisciotto is an elegantly converted country farm estate, which dates from around 1700, with just ten rooms and suites — some very large, and an impressive seafood restaurant, which also specialises in the local wines. This is a wonderful bolt-hole surrounded by vineyards, and on the edge of a nature reserve, so the views are really something. The building’s original stone walls, heavy iron doors and wooden beams are shown off, but now there’s also an indoor spa with a sauna.
- Dimora Delle Balze is a beautifully converted masseria in a pristine part of rural Sicily — it’s something like a gorgeous old stone farm complex with a semi-fortified wall and towers, plus ancient olive trees and orchards. It has just 12 rooms, all very chicly decorated with contemporary fabrics and a few choice artefacts and plants, to make the most of the wonderful stone walls and other original features. There’s also the sort of pool you could expect to see in a tropical island resort. Remote, quiet and traditional, you’re not far from Syracuse and the coast, and they have family suites and plenty of space for kids to enjoy themselves without bothering anyone.
Sicily’s Best Rural Hotels for Foodies
- The Masseria Susafa is a converted 18th century farmhouse surrounded by olive groves, vineyards and views of green, rolling hills. As well as admiring the views, this is a wonderful place for food, with a well-known and respected Sicilian restaurant onsite, that has a famous five course menu which changes daily based on what’s available on the farm. Inside, the 18 rooms are rustic and chic, with terracotta floors, exposed stone walls and antique furniture to suit. There’s also a pool with a view, and farm animals. And it all comes together to give a sense of the slower, pleasurable pace of Sicilian life of bygone days. It’s the perfect place to learn about Sicilian cuisine and culture too.
- You know when a property has a name like: the Tale Restaurant & Suites that much emphasis will be put on the food. And it’s a nice idea to have rooms when your restaurant is in such a beautiful, rural spot. These ten suites are in a very stylishly modernised country house in Piedimonte Etneo, which is a spectacular region close to Mount Etna. Family and pet friendly, expect minimalist style in the suites, an elegant breakfast bar and a gourmet restaurant. There’s also a pool, and a feeling of relaxation prevailing. Along with intimacy and luxury.
- The Baglio Sorìa Resort is set on a wine estate, complete with vineyard, in Trapani. The resort is a contemporary build, but in a style that fits with the rest of the estate, and the 11 rooms and suites are also stylish and contemporary in decor. The best suites have living space and private balconies. And there’s a great pool, with fantastic views. This is a relaxing place to stay, and of course, fantastic if you’re interested in local wines — they offer tastings in their wine bar, and great pairings with their organic menu. The resort can also arrange cooking classes.
- Another wine resort our Gurus recommend is the Wine Resort Villagrande, a wonderful country house on a wine estate, with just four rooms, all with balconies or terraces with vineyard views. This is a traditional feeling wine estate, with great Sicilian decor, and all of the rooms are quite charming, with high ceilings, traditional tiles on the floor and huge windows. There are numerous terraces, one where meals are served, and a sitting room with a fireplace. Families are welcome.
Best Rural Seaside Hotels
- Baglio Giammaccaro is a charming rustic chic, five room B&B with mountain views from the front of the property and a sea view from the back. Within the borders of the Monte Cofano Nature Reserve, this is an exceptionally beautiful bolt-hole, and it’s not just because of the views and pristine surrounds, inside there are hand painted tiles and carefully restored antiques, an extremely elegant sitting room, and an impressive traditional kitchen. There’s also a glorious garden of local flora. Breakfast is served al fresco on the terrace. And there's a choice of pretty beaches very close by.
- Just outside Agrigento, and only 800 metres away from the beach, the Baglio della Luna is a great little four star option, converted from a beautiful old Sicilian mansion house and outbuildings, complete with sprawling terraces and a lush, green garden. The 23 rooms are traditionally decorated, and quite charming, and the restaurant has a reputation all over the island for its fantastic Sicilian cuisine, and its wonderful views from its verandah over the Valley of Temples.
For a romantic stay
- You might not find the idea of staying in converted monks' cells romantic, or the idea of staying somewhere with its own archaeological dig, but some of you will, and for those of you we highly recommend the Eremo della Giubiliana. This beautifully converted former monastery is now more like an aristocratic country house, with a really wonderful collection of treasures and relics, and an incredible dining room where excellent meals are served. If you don’t fancy the cells, but you like the idea of the lush gardens, pool, courtyards, views and other elegant surroundings you could stay in one of the six suites or five cottages, which offer even more privacy and charm. The hotel also offers wine tastings and cooking classes.
Great Rural Hotels for Families
- Close to the ocean, and on the edges of both the Vendicari National Park and the vineyards of Nero d’Avola, Scilla Maris has just six large, luxurious rooms, all with their own balcony or terrace to make sure you don’t miss a moment of this view. It's an elegant property with carefully collected and up-cycled antiques, furniture and objets d’art, but it’s not fussy, and it’s very family friendly. It’s an excellent base for exploring, and a lovely place to come back to, with a big pool and a small restaurant specialising in local cuisine, with a lot of their ingredients grown onsite.
- Simple, charming and elegant, the Castello Camemi is an historic, as well as off-the-beaten-track choice, with just 13 rooms and suites, including several perfect for families. All the rooms are large, and all are elegant, with original stone floors and carefully chosen fabrics and fittings in muted shades. There’s an outdoor pool and bar, set amid sprawling grounds, and a gourmet restaurant. The Castello will make a great base for exploring the local towns and the rest of Sicily’s south east corner, but it’s also a great place to just relax.
- Converted from a farm in the beautiful Ragusan countryside, the Kinanto Bioresort has just seven rooms and suites. All of them are large and light, the biggest of which sleeps five people in its two bedrooms — plus kitchen and private balcony. But there are others which sleep four, and all have self-catering facilities, so there’s plenty of choice for families. There’s also a pool and a pretty garden, and the surrounds are peaceful, whilst still being a good base for exploring the island. And the whole owner-managed resort is cleverly ecologically friendly.
Best Value Rural Hotels
- A fantastic escape, the Case Marianeddi is a remote and rustic hotel within the Vendicari National Park, with just six rooms spread between two properties. All of the rooms are simply dressed in an elegant, earthy palette, and the best have their own private terraces and exposed stone walls. There are plenty of nice spots to retreat to within the grounds, and a cosy restaurant and terrace.
Still not sure which to book?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Sicily.
- Or you could refine your search to just the best hotels in Palermo, the best hotels in Taormina or the best hotels in Catania or Syracuse.
- You could consult our Guru’s recommendations for 20 of the Best Boutique Hotels on Sicily, 15 of the Best Luxury Hotels in Sicily or the 13 of the Best Beach Hotels in Sicily.
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Cavanera Etnea Resort Sicily 10 rooms from £104Total relaxation - With an endless selection of wine, a pool and the surrounding Sicilian countryside, this hotel offers total relaxationCountry Escape - Located on a country estate with a vineyard at the foot of Mount Etna, this hotel is a glorious country retreatRomantic Break - Couples love the hotel's chic wine bar and the enormous outdoor poolGreat walks - Explore the beautiful natural setting of the hotel on a long walk; enquire at the hotel for recommended routesRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
This luxury wine resort occupies a renovated country estate at the foot of Mount Etna. Rooms blend modern and classic interior design; the best have an exquisite four-poster bed. All rooms offer views of the vineyard and black tiled floors made from volcanic lava. Relax by the pool; a stylish stay. See More
La Foresteria Planeta Estate Menfi, Sicily 14 rooms from £226Cooking classes - Chef Angelo Pumilia teaches authentic Sicilian cooking in the hotel's spacious kitchenWine tasting - Have a guided wine tourGreat walks - Walk the vineyards and olive groves that surround La ForesteriaFull of character
Luxury wine resort in south west Sicily. Nestled amongst the vineyards, rooms are individually decorated with period pieces, all have private terraces and wonderful sea views. Authentic Sicilian cuisine and cookery lessons for the very keen! A family friendly, foodie haven, close to the beach. See More
Masseria Agnello Realmonte, Sicily 10 rooms from £113Local exploring - This hotel is perfectly located for taking a trip to Agrigento, known for the ruins of the ancient Greek city of AkragasHideaway - Hideaway at this hotel, a rural getaway on a traditional Sicilian countryside estate away from the bustle of the townsBack to Nature - Set in the beautiful Sicilian countryside, this hotel makes a great back to nature retreatSights nearby - Visit the Valley of the Temples, an ancient archaeological site with temples and the ruins of the city of AkragasRecommended by - Tablet, Great Small Hotels
This unique hotel occupies a former 19th-century Sicilian estate in Realmonte. The 'Massaro' or main house has been restored and retains many original features. Rooms are dressed in a simple but elegant palette of earthy tones with wood accents. Relax by the pretty outdoor pool; a rustic retreat. See More
Country House Villadorata Noto (Sicily) 8 rooms from £484Country Escape - Set within the rolling hills of the Sicilian countryside, this hotel makes a great escape to the countryHideaway - Set outside of the city on a private vineyard, this hotel is the perfect hideaway holiday destinationRomantic Break - The serene natural setting and the pretty outdoor pool score highly with couplesSights nearby - Visit the Cattedrale di Noto, a beautiful example of Sicilian Baroque architectureRecommended by - Tablet
This guesthouse is nestled within a vineyard in Noto, a city in the Sicilian countryside. Rooms are modern, dressed in a pleasing pastel palette with luxurious linens; a private residence with a separate pool is available for ultimate discretion. Eat at the organic restaurant; a delightful retreat. See More
Wine Relais Feudi del Pisciotto Niscemi, Sicily 10 rooms from £156Hideaway - Nestled in the countryside in southeast Sicily, this hotel makes a great hideaway holiday destinationBack to Nature - Perched on the edge of a huge natural reserve, this hotel makes a great escape to natureFamilies - The split-level suite is perfect for families travelling with older childrenGreat walks - Explore the neighbouring Niscemi Nature Reserve on a long walk; enquire at the hotel for recommended routes
This hotel occupies a thoughtfully restored feudo in southeast Sicily dated to 1700. Rooms are in the property's former palmento and boast exposed stone walls and local artisan pieces; the best suite is split level and has a living area. Dine at the hotel restaurant; an authentic country bolt-hole. See More
Dimora Delle Balze Noto 12 rooms from £345Hideaway - An idyllic hideaway in glorious rural Scicily.Sights nearby - Take a tour straight from the hotel of the ancient city of Noto.Great walks - Embark on long scenic walks starting straight from the property.Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolRecommended by - Tablet
A beautifully converted 'masseria' situated in a pristine part of rural Sicily. Chic bedrooms perfectly mix the old and new with tiled floors, stone walls, contemporary fabrics and a few choice artefacts. Expect a glorious pool and plenty of quiet spots to curl up with a book. See More
Masseria Susafa Palermo, Sicily 18 rooms from £100Country Escape - Rural Sicily at it's best. Unwind in the tranquil hotel, dine on regional delights and take gentle walks.Sights nearby - Due to the masseria's central location most of Sicily's top sights can be reached in an hour by car.Great walks - Take gentle ambles through the surrounding olive groves and vineyards.Cooking classes - Learn how to cook Sicilian style in the hotel's cookery school.Recommended by - Sawdays, Tablet
A charming converted farm house, situated amidst olive groves and vineyards. Rustic chic interiors are totally enchanting with exposed stone, terracotta tiled floors and antique furniture. The cuisine is particularly special, home-cooked style Sicilian fare. The perfect spot to completely unwind. See More
Baglio Sorìa Resort & Wine Experience Trapani (Sicily) 11 rooms from £117Local exploring - The hotel's location makes it a good base for local exploring of Trapani and the natural surroundingsCountry Escape - Located in the countryside of Trapani, this hotel has all the rural charm of a great country escapeRomantic Break - Couples will love the tranquil hideaway setting and the pretty outdoor poolCooking classes - Take a cooking class through the hotel and learn the tricks to making perfect Italian foodRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
This modern resort is located in a renovated country estate in Trapani with a vineyard. Rooms are bright and modern, with wood accents and rich linens nodding to the hotel's origins. The best suites have a living area and balcony. Relax by the pool before a tasting at the wine bar. A stylish hotel. See More
Wine Resort Villagrande Milo, Sicily 4 rooms from £121Local exploring - A great base for wine enthusiasts or simply exploring the area.Views - All rooms have views over the Ionian coastGreat walks - Etna National ParkBack to Nature
Tale Restaurant & Suite Piedimonte Etneo, Sicily 10 rooms from £121Hideaway - With its remote location and excellent on-site facilities, this hotel is a perfect hideaway holiday destinationLocal exploring - There is lots of local exploring to do in nearby towns and on the coast, reachable by car from the hotelCountry Escape - Located in a beautiful natural setting in Sicily, this hotel makes a great country retreatBarefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels , Sawdays
This stylish hotel is located in a renovated country house in Piedimonte Etneo. Rooms are modern with warm soft furnishings and original features, such as exposed stone walls and wooden beams. Enjoy sea views from the pretty outdoor pool before eating at the gourmet restaurant. A tranquil retreat. See More
Baglio della Luna Agrigento 23 rooms from £95Views - Perfect views from the verandah restaurant over the Valley of Temples.Foodies - The restaurant is renowned for its culinary flair.Exclusive use - Excellent Sicilian wines.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - Fodors
A fantastic little four star option just outside Agrigento and only 800 metres from the beach. An historic Sicilian house surrounded by sprawling terraces, luscious green gardens, and fantastic views over the Valley of Temples. Traditional and charming rooms, and a restaurant renowned far and wide. See More
Baglio Giammaccaro Castelluzzo, Sicily 5 rooms from £113Beach Life - Situated in close proximity to a range of pretty, sandy beaches, this hotel makes a great base for a seaside getawayLocal exploring - Located within a national park, there is plenty of exploring to do in the area surrounding the hotelCountry Escape - With a peaceful setting next to the mountains, this hotel is a great escape to the countrySights nearby - Drive out to the Temple of Segesta, an important Greek archaeological site where there is a well-preserved Doric temple
This charming B&B is nestled between the mountains and the sea in the Monte Cofano Nature Reserve, Sicily. The elegant guestrooms feature restored antique furniture and hand-painted tiles; book a luxury suite for a private terrace. Eat breakfast al fresco with mountain views; a beautiful bolt-hole. See More
Eremo della Giubiliana Modica 25 rooms from £179Views - Incredible seaviews. On a clear day you can make out Malta and TunisiaCountry EscapeSights nearby - The hotel has its own archaeological site part of which dates back to 5BC.Cooking classes - Learn the art of Sicilian cuisineRecommended by - Tablet
Scilla Maris Casa Maccari, Sicily 6 rooms from £126Country Escape - Retreat to the country at this beautiful B&B, nestled within a vineyard with views of the neighbouring nature reserveFamilies - Suites are spacious and good for families; kids will love the hotel's outdoor poolLocal exploring - The B&B is well-located for local exploring, with towns Ortygia and Noto close byBirdwatching - Spend a quiet morning birdwatching at neighbouring Vendicari Nature Reserve, which has flamingos in the lagoon year-round
This four-star luxury hotel faces the Vendicari Natural Park in the vineyards of Nero d’Avola. Rooms have a vintage feel, dressed in a blend of antiques and upcycled materials; the best suites have exposed stone features and all rooms offer a private patio. Relax by the pool at this charming hotel. See More
Kinanto Bioresort Ispica, Sicily 7 rooms from £121Eco break - This bioresort is designed for guests to experience a relaxing holiday in harmony with the natural landscapeHideaway - Situated in the heart of the Sicilian countryside, this hotel makes a great hideout holiday destinationFamilies - The larger, self-contained apartments are perfect for parents travelling with childrenCooking classes - Brush up on your Italian repertoire with a cooking class run by a local chef, available through the hotelRecommended by - Sawdays
This eco retreat is located in the Ragusan countryside on a former agricultural site. There are a range of bright and airy rooms and suites; the largest accommodates up to five people and has two bedrooms, a kitchen and balcony. Relax by the pool or in the pretty garden. A tranquil country getaway. See More
Castello Camemi Sicily 13 rooms from £194Country Escape - Lying in a secluded setting of the beaten track, this hotel is an ideal place for rest and tranquillityActive Holiday - The sea and the Iblei mountains offer an abundance of outdoor activities to keep you busyLocal exploring - Guests can spend their days exploring Sicilian towns steeped in ancient cultureSights nearby - This corner of Sicily is dotted with ancient towns dating back to classical antiquity, highlights include Syracuse and ModecaRecommended by - Sawdays
Lying in the south-east corner of Sicily, Castello Camemi delivers authentic hospitality within its historical walls. The stone-floored rooms and suites have an understated elegance. There is an outdoor pool and bar and the restaurant's gourmet cuisine is sourced locally. Simple charm. See More
Case Marianeddi Noto, Sicily 6 rooms from £113Back to Nature - Situated within a nature reserve, this hotel is the perfect base for a back to nature retreatLocal exploring - Start your exploration of the Vendicari Nature Reserve from this friendly, comfortable hotelHideaway - Hideaway at this remote hotel, located within the tranquil grounds of a protected parkBirdwatching - The oasis in the nature reserve where the hotel is located is a prime location for birdwatching
This rustic hotel is situated within the grounds of the Vendicari Nature Reserve. Guest rooms are split across two properties and are simply dressed in an earthy palette; the best rooms have exposed stone walls and a private terrace. Enjoy dinner at the cosy hotel restaurant; a back-to-nature treat. See More