6 of the Best Hotels in Cannaregio, Venice
The Cannaregio district of Venice is where most visitors first arrive - it includes the train station - but is also where they rapidly leave, to head down the Grand Canal to San Marco. Which is a pity as the Cannaregio has some of the most peaceful and most attractive areas of the city. But one of the main attractions is the Jewish Ghetto area with its poignant history and several synagogues. And the best hotels in the Cannaregio district ensure you a memorable stay in Venice without having to fight the crowds.
There are a number of lovely churches including Madonna dell’Orto - Tintoretto’s parish church (he’s buried here and the church includes some of his works) - marble-clad Santa Maria dei Miracoli with its intricate interiors, and Santa Maria Assunta with its green-and-white marble-clad interior. There’s also the Gothic palace Ca’ d’Oro with its art collection.
6 of the Best Hotels in Cannaregio
Some of the best luxury hotels in Cannaregio
- Stay at Palazzo Abedessa and you feel like a family guest; not surprisingly, as the 16th-century palazzo is the home of its owner, Marissa Rossi. Rooms are richly furnished and frescoed - silk wallpapers, Burano glass - and there’s also a shady, walled garden.
- With an enviable position on the Grand Canal, the 14th-century Ca’ Sagredo has everything you would expect of a Venetian palazzo: frescoes, stucco work, gilded furniture and rich fabrics. There’s both a canal-side terrace for dining and a rooftop terrace for drinks and stunning views.
Great Value Hotels in Cannaregio
- Elegant and understated, the nine-room Locanda del Ghetto, whose name indicates its location, is a beautifully simple 15th-century townhouse. A quiet retreat; two rooms have balconies overlooking the campo (small square).
- On the third floor (lift available) of a 15th-century palazzo, Locanda ai Santa Apostoli is a large apartment that has been converted into nine terrazzo-floored and open-raftered airy rooms, dotted with antiques. Cool, elegant and simple with a sitting room and small library.
- Overlooking a canal, 3749 Ponte Chiodo is another elegant choice with six traditionally furnished rooms, a small garden and a veranda for breakfast on summer days.
- Antico Doge offers superb value for central Venice. Set in a medieval townhouse, the nine rooms are traditionally furnished with parquet flooring and rich fabrics, the two largest rooms overlooking the canal.
If you want to be within easy reach of the city’s sights but to stay somewhere less frenetic choose one of Venice’s best hotels in the Cannaregio district. Nothing here you fancy? Widen the net and check out all our Venice recommendations, or contact a friendly guru for advice.
Locanda del Ghetto Venice 9 rooms from £91Local exploring - Explore this hisotrical and fascinating area of Venice, with monuments, museums, cultrual centres and even Kosher restaurants!Great walks - Cannaregio has remained mostly unchanged by the floods of tourists, explore its narrow streets and discover the 'real Venice'.Sights nearby - The hotel is located directly above the Schola Italiana Synagogue, one of the five Synagogues of the Old Jewish Quarter.Full of character
An understated and romantic 15th Century Locanda, in the old Jewish Ghetto of Venice. Off the beaten track, quiet and good value, you get the chance to see a new side of the city away from the throngs of tourists. Simple rooms, some with terraces overlooking the square, are charming and comfortable. See More
Locanda ai Santi Apostoli Venice 11 rooms from £78Local exploring - A wonderfully central location, just minutes from Piazza San Marco, perfect for exploring on foot.Local markets - The hotel sits right opposite the Fish Market, a wonderfully unique experience.Sights nearby - The beautiful Piazza San Marco is just down the road.Views - Some rooms have views of the Grand Canal
This stylish third floor apartment guesthouse has a sitting room, small library and views of the Grand Canal. Classically styled rooms are comfortable and come with a complimentary breakfast. Location is perfect for exploring, making this the perfect budget way to get a great view. See More
3749 Ponte Chiodo Venice (Cannaregio) 6 rooms from £87Local exploring - The untouristy Cannaregio area gives easy access to central Venice but also plenty of restaurants and sights to explore locallyValue chic - Excellent value for money in the centre of Venice with rooms from as little as €70 including breakfastSights nearby - Rialto Bridge is just 10 minutes' walk away, and all of Venice's highlights are within easy reachViews - Lovely views either over the garden or canalsRecommended by - Fodors
Antico Doge Venice 19 rooms from £129Romantic Break - Traditionally romantic interiors feature opulent fabrics, swags and tails and antique furnishings.Sights nearby - Walking distance from St Mark's square and Rialto bridgeLocal exploring - Just a stone's throw from many of Venice's highlights.Views - The two superior rooms have views onto canalRecommended by - Fodors
An elegant and traditional hotel set in a 13th century gothic house. Luxurious rooms have beautiful parquet floors, silk furnishings, and modern en suite bathrooms. Excellent buffet breakfasts, and just a stone's throw from Venice's sights. A great choice for couples or group weekend. See More
Palazzo Abadessa Venice 15 rooms from £213Writing a novel - Be inspired by the enchanting setting- think authentic 17th-century frescoes, silk-lined walls and secret walled gardens.Local exploring - Well situated in the bohemian Cannaregio quarter, beside a quiet canal perfect for private watertaxis.Local markets - Browse the Rialto market for local produce, leather goods and perfumes, just across the Grand Canal.Sights nearby - A short walk away is Ca' d'Oro a splendid gothic style building overlooking the Grand Canal.Recommended by - I Escape, Fodors
Restored 16th-century palazzo with spacious frescoed rooms, full of antiques and Murano glass. Bursting with history and character. Four poster beds, heavy curtains and patterned wallpaper adorn the rooms. Drinks are served in a walled terrace with shaded seating. Truly regal living. See More
Ca’ Sagredo Hotel Venice 42 rooms from £239Honeymoons - This hotel drips in spendour and opulent romance- think frescoed ballrooms, palatial suites, elegant drapes and orginal artwork.Foodies - The trendy and effortlessly elegant L’Alcova restaurant serves up regional specialities with a modern twist.Sights nearby - Nestled between Ca DOro and the Rialto Bridge you're not more than a short walk or boat ride to Venice's main attractions.Local markets - The ancient Rialto Market happens just across from the hotel, a spectacle for all the senses and well worth a visit.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Michelin Travel, Fodors, Great Small Hotels