- ✓ Book Online Now
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
The Best Places to Stay in the Sacred Valley
Peru’s Sacred Valley was a stretch land so special that it wasn’t part of the Incan Empire, but belonged to the Emperor personally. Lush and beautiful, along this winding stretch of the Rio Urubamba Valley numerous major Incan towns and structures were built, including Ollantaytambo (now an extensive ruin, this was one of the last Incan towns to fall), Pisac, which has beautiful ruins, but also a thriving weekly market, and, of course, Machu Picchu.
It has become quite popular to trek through this region, but there’s a lot to see and it’s worth taking your time and seeing as much as you can. So maybe add a few days onto your trip and consider booking into one of our Guru’s recommendations for the best places to stay in the Sacred Valley?
If you’re primarily here for Machu Picchu, then you’ll find many of the best places to stay in the Sacred Valley are around Aguas Calientes - or ‘Machu Picchu Town’, but if you just want to see as much as you can then choosing a few of our Guru’s recommendation might work for you. They’ve picked some great properties in Cusco, and some very comfortable properties close to Machu Picchu - some with views of the site - so these might be good places to start looking.
The Best Places to Stay in the Sacred Valley
Once in a Lifetime Hotels
- You might recognise some of the name, and yes, the Belmond Hotel Monasterio is the same Belmond as the Orient Express. So you can expect a similar kind of luxury and charm here. Built in the 16th century, this converted monastery, with its leafy courtyard gardens, antique furnishings and original art and features, is a really memorable place to stay.
- The Belmond Palacio Nazarenas shares the first bit of the name too, so you can expect the same service and luxury, but this time in a remodelled palace with walls made of stones carved by the Incas. There are 55 rooms and suites, all elegant, but the suites come with their own bar and butler. There’s also a wonderful spa.
- Inkaterra La Cason is an 11 room hotel in in a beautifully converted colonial mansion. If you’re interested in the history of this city this is The place to stay. It’s decorated with antiquities dating back to the days of the Spanish Empire. The Peruvian restaurant is superb. And you’re just two minutes walk from the cathedral.
For the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu
- The Belmond Sanctuary Lodge is in an unbeatable position, right by the entrance to Machu Picchu. There are 32 charming rooms decorated with contemporary art work against white-washed walls. The views from the terrace are bound to be spectacular and the cuisine is fantastic too.
- The Inkaterra Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel is in a beautiful, riverside spot about half an hour away from Machu’s Picchu’s entrance, in Aguas Calientes. The 80+ rooms are atmospheric, with working fireplaces and exposed beams, and there’s a great restaurant and cosy lounge.
- The Sumaq Machu Picchu Hotel is in a beautiful spot at the foot of the mountain below Machu Picchu, close to the Vilcanota River. There are 56 rooms and the decor is richly coloured but contemporary in style. The views are amazing
The Best Places to Stay in the Sacred Valley - Cusco Highlights
- El Mercado offers a fabulous mix of tradition and contemporary decor in the centre Cusco. There are exposed beams and white washed walls but there are also some great pieces of modern art. There are 31 rooms plus a gorgeous terrace, perfect for drinks in the evening.
- The Palacio del Inka is an elegant, 203 room hotel right in the heart of town. The decor is colourful, from the smallest room to the excellent Andean restaurant. There’s also a range of spa treatments available.
- The Fallen Angel guesthouse is just a few hundred feet from Cusco’s main square. Its five quirky rooms are decorated with bright contemporary art and the restaurant, which specialises in local cuisine, is top notch.
The Best Places to Stay in the Sacred Valley for Adventurers
- The Belmond Hotel Rio Sagrado is a collection of luxurious rooms and villas in a breathtaking spot close to Ollantaytambo. As well as an excellent spa there are all sorts of outdoor activities the hotel can set you up with.
- The Explora Valle Sagrado is a wonderfully designed, 50 room hotel with contemporary decor and gorgeous views of the Urubamba Valley. The hotel puts on more than 20 exclusive guided excursions and bikes are available for guests to use.
The Best Places to Stay in the Sacred Valley to Relax
- Tambo del Inka, close to Urubamba is a luxurious hotel with 128 elegant rooms and extensive spa facilities. There’s also a superb Andean restaurant. Perfect if you want to see the sights in style.
- El Albergue is about 19miles from Machu Picchu, in a peaceful spot on the outskirts of Ollantaytambo. There are just 15 rooms, decorated in a chic, rustic style, plus beautiful gardens and beautiful views. If you’re fresh off the trail you’ll appreciate the sauna and possibility of booking a massage.
- Off the beaten track, Sol y Luna is a collection of charming bungalows overlooking the Urubamba Valley. The decor is Peruvian and there’s a wonderful restaurant - during lunch they even put on a horse show.
The Best Places to Stay in the Sacred Valley on a Budget
- Right in the heart of Cusco, just a short walk from the Plaza de Armas, Unaytambo is a large, colonial house with 14 rooms - many with private balconies. There’s a beautiful terrace and the decor is colonial too. Rooms start from around £80 per night.
- For around £110 per night you can stay in the much larger Costa del Sol Ramada Cusco, a converted 17th century mansion in the centre of Cusco. There’s still something rather splendid about this 90 room hotel. It’s arranged around an arcaded central courtyard and there’s an excellent Peruvian restaurant.
- El MaPi is a good compromise and offers great value, considering how close you are to Mach Picchu. Stylish and contemporary, the hotel has 140 rooms with large windows, a great restaurant and the option to treat yourself to a massage, or a soak in the hot tub if you’ve been on the trail for a while.
If you haven’t found your idea of the best places to stay in the Sacred Valley on our Guru’s list you could:
- Consult our Guru’s guide to where to stay when you visit Machu Picchu,
- or our Guru’s guide to the best places to stay in Cusco,
- or our guide to the best places to stay in Machu Picchu town,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
The Best Places to Stay in the Sacred Valley
Belmond Hotel Monasterio 122 rooms from $347Cusco (Plazoleta Nazarenas)
This stunning former monastery is situated in the heart of Cusco's historical centre. Boasting luxurious colonial-style accommodation with plenty of artwork, the hotel also has a beautiful courtyard garden and several bars and restaurants. Be treated like royalty at this utterly gorgeous city spot.City Style - This property is situated in the heart of Cusco's historical centre, a perfect location for getting to know the cityGreat walks - The hotel puts on a two-day trek to Machu Picchu if you're looking for a truly unforgettable experienceSights nearby - Visit Santa Domingo Church, Sacsayhuaman archeological site or the ancient Coricancha templeLocal markets - The vibrant and diverse San Pedro Market is an absolute must visit
Belmond Palacio Nazarenas 55 rooms from $645Cusco (Plaza Nazarenas 276)
This remodelled Palace is situated in central Cusco and has walls made of Inca stones. It features elegantly decorated suites which each come with their own bar and butler! Go for a refreshing dip in the pool or totally relax in their wonderful spa. An absolutely magical spot and unforgettable stay.City Style - The hotel enjoys a fabulously central location and is the perfect base from which to explore CuscoLocal exploring - Go for a meander around the city and check out all the sightsGreat walks - Head for long walks along the beach and take in the sea views or simply wander through the cityLocal markets - The quintessentially Peruvian San Pedro market is an absolute must visitRecommended by - Tablet
Inkaterra La Cason 11 rooms from $539Cusco (Plazoleta Nazarenas)
Brimming with heritage, Inkaterra La Cason offers a glimpse into the rich history of Cusco. Set in colonial mansion, the hotel is packed full of antiques and artefacts dating back to days of the Spanish Empire. Luxurious rooms and a superb Peruvian restaurant complete this magnificent hotel.Romantic Break - Set in a colonial mansion steep in romance, it's perfect for couples looking to unlock the historic city of Cusco.Local exploring - Perfect for exploring the historic city of Cusco.Sights nearby - Two minutes walk from the Cathedral of Cusco.Local markets - Explore the bustling local markets of Cusco.
Palacio del Inka 203 rooms from $169Cusco
This stunning property is situated in the heart of Cusco, a great base from which to get to know the city. It offers extremely elegant rooms with stunning use of diverse colours and has its own excellent restaurant focusing on Andean ingredients. A top-notch and classy choice for a city stay!Romantic Break - Luxurious accommodation to make you feel like royalty, superb cuisine and a range of spa treatments-perfect for a romantic tripCity Style - Make the most out of the property's excellently central location to fully explore all that Cusco has to offerSights nearby - Coricancha, the Incas' temple of the sun, is located less than a mile away and is a must visit!Great walks - Stroll around the streets getting a feel for the city and Cusco's unique atmosphere
Belmond Hotel RIo Sagrado 23 rooms from $250Urubamba (Carretera Urubamba-Ollantaytambo)
Situated in the Sacred Valley of the Incas in Ollantaytambo, featuring a range of luxury rooms and villas. Forget about all your worries as you make use of their extensive spa facilities or get stuck in with the outdoor activities offered. A breathtaking and peaceful country retreat!Back to Nature - The hotel is situated amidst the Sacred Valley of the Incas surorunded by green fields, mountains and the Urubamba RiverTotal relaxation - Bask in your tranquil countryside surroundings, pop into the sauna or book yourself a massageRemote - Off the beaten track.Secluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection
El Mercado 31 rooms from $309Cusco
A fabulous mid-ranged property in the heart of Cusco. Stunning rooms mix tradition and contemporary styles; think exposed beams, white washed walls, in-room free standing baths and modern art. A gorgeous terrace is perfectly primed for evening drinks. Walking distance to the cities' sights. Superb.Local exploring - Centrally located walking distance from restaurants, museums and Cusco’s main Plaza de Armas.Local markets - Explore the authentic and oldest market of Cusco; San Pedro Market.Sights nearby - Be sure not to miss the fascinating Inca 'Temple of the Sun'.Restrictions on children - Not suitable for children.
Explora Valle Sagrado 50 rooms from $1100Urubamba (Fundo Salabella Silvayoc)
Featuring a quirky architectural design with plenty of wooden influences in Urubamba's Sacred Valley. It offers full board accommodation and spacious, contemporary rooms with gorgeous views. Spend the day romping around the area before relaxing with a good book by the fire. A unique spot.Country Escape - The property enjoys a stunning setting in the dramatic Valle Sagrado, far from the hustle and bustle of modern lifeActive Holiday - The hotel puts on more than 20 exclusive guided excursions and bikes are available if you fancy staying activeGreat walks - Hike across the valley's wonderful mountains and take in the breathtaking viewsFishing - The nearby Urubamba River is known for its excellent trout fishingRecommended by - CN Traveller
Fallen Angel 5 rooms from $190Cusco
Fallen Angel guest house is located just a few hundred feet from Cusco's main square. It features individually decorated and quirky rooms with a strong contemporary art influence. Be sure to eat in their wonderful restaurant which serves local cuisine. A truly unique city stay in a fantastic spot.Local markets - A trip to Cusco is not complete without a trip to San Pedro market which is as authentic as Peru comesSights nearby - Go visit the Santo Domingo Church, Sacsayhuaman archeological site or the Qenka Inca ruinsGreat walks - Amble through historic Cusco and take in its unique atmosphereFull of character
Tambo del Inka 128 rooms from $268Urubamba (Sacred Valley)
Tambo del Inka enjoys a wonderful location in the dramatic Sacred Valley of the Incas, Urubamba. This luxurious hotel features elegant rooms with marble bathrooms, an indoor pool, extensive spa facilities and a restaurant serving typically Andean cuisine. A superb choice to get away from it all.Total relaxation - Read a book on the terrace basking in your peaceful surroundings and treat yourself to sessions in the spaActive Holiday - Head out hiking, hop on a bike or workout in their gym-an ideal choice for those looking to stay activeGreat walks - Spend your days hiking around the mountains and taking in the breathtaking viewsRemote - Off the beaten track.
Unaytambo 14 rooms from $105Cusco
Unaytambo is located in the heart of Cusco just a short walk from Plaza de Armas. Set in a large house it features rooms with a traditional colonial decor which offer private balconies and plasma TVs. Sit out on the terrace and relax or explore the area! A charming stay in a brilliant spot.City Style - The hotel enjoys a wonderfully central location and so is the perfect base from which to explore the cityValue chic - Great accommodation in a fantastic location. Doubles from $105 per night.Sights nearby - Check out San Blas Church or head to Sacsayhuaman archeological site which is less than a mile from the hotelLocal markets - A visit to Cusco is incomplete without a visit to the bustling San Pedro market
Sol y Luna 43 rooms from $313Urubamba
Sol y Luna consists of a series of charming bungalows in the beautiful countryside overlooking the Urubamba Valley. It features classically Peruvian decor and a wonderful restaurant-be sure to enjoy lunch there while enjoying a special Peruvian Paso horse show. A peaceful and unique place to stay.Outstanding locationRemote - Off the beaten track.SpaSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Costa del Sol Ramada Cusco 90 rooms from $147Cuzco, Peru
The Marquis of Picoaga's converted 17th century mansion in the centre of the ancient city of Cusco. Retaining its old splendour, the more characterful rooms are set around a charming arcaded courtyard. The restaurant serves international and Peruvian dishes. Ideally placed to explore the city.Local exploring - This central 17th-century mansion is the ideal jump off point for exploring this ancient city by foot.Sights nearby - Just two minutes from La Merced Church, one of Cuscos most important churches dating back to the sixteenth century.Local markets - Just steps from Mercado Central de San Pedro, Cusco's central food market, open everyday.Views - Great views from hotel
Belmond Sanctuary Lodge 32 rooms from $1200Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu)
A chic boutique property with an unbeatable location right at the entrance to Machu Picchu. Charming rooms are simply styled with contemporary artwork contrasting against the white washed background and pretty terraces boast spectacular views. The cuisine is fantastic too. A winning combination.Active Holiday - The only hotel at the entrance of Machu Picchu.Local markets - Search for artefacts at the lively central market in Cusco.Sights nearby - Take a guided tour of the Inca citadel.Remote - Off the beaten track.
Inkaterra Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel 83 rooms from $838Aguas Calientes
A charming lodge located just half an hour to Machu Picchu. Atmospheric rooms are complete with working fireplaces, exposed beams, tartan fabrics and warm lighting. A cosy lounge is the ideal spot to unwind with an evening tipple. Gorge on regional dishes and sip Peruvian wines. Superb.Active Holiday - One of the best hotel's in the town closest to Machu Picchu complete with excellent guides.Sights nearby - The knowledgeable guides give the best experience of Machu Picchu Historical Sanctuary.Birdwatching - Up to 214 bird species including the golden-headed quetzal.Outstanding location - Beautiful riverside setting.
Sumaq Machu Picchu Hotel 59 rooms from $468Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu,)
A beautiful setting at the foot of the sanctuary of Machu Picchu, close to the Vilcanota River. Rich Peruvian colours create a welcoming interior echoed in the rooms giving a sumptuous feeling of luxury. Delicate Andean & Asian flavours influence the cuisine to great effect. A memorable stay.Sights nearby - Inca ruins, The sun temple and The temple of the three windows.Views - Fabulous views not only of the Andean mountains but also of ancient ruins.Great walks - Amazing views, make sure you are acclimatized.Cooking classes - Culinary demonstrations & mini-chef classes.
El Albergue 15 rooms from $199Ollantaytambo (Av Ferrocarril 1)
This inn is situated in Ollantaytambo which is 19 miles away from Machu Picchu. It features rooms decorated in a chic, rustic style and has wonderful views of the surrounding area. Relax in the sauna after a long day hiking or book yourself a massage to fully unwind. A peaceful and unique spot.Sights nearby - Given the location you've absolutely got to go visit the stunning archeological site Machu PicchuBack to Nature - The hotel is situated amidst the mountains with great views and has a beautiful gardenGreat walks - Roam around the mountains and take in the wonderful viewsRemote - Off the beaten track.
El MaPi 130 rooms from $220Aguas Calientes (Pachacutec 109)
This stylish contemporary hotel is situated in the heart of Machu Picchu town. It boasts smart rooms with large windows and black out curtains whilst the food on offer is simply excellent. Treat yourself to a massage after an afternoon outside hiking for the perfect end to the day! A top-notch spot.Sights nearby - Don't miss out on the chance to see the archeological site generally considered one of the 7 New Wonders of the WorldGreat walks - Head out on excursions led by the hotel or explore on your own as you romp around the mountainsSpa