7 of the Algarve’s Best Golf Hotels
The region’s year-round attractive climate - temperatures averaging 25-30° in summer, 15-18°C in winter - makes the Algarve a huge draw for golfers. Add in the proximity of beautiful beaches, warm seas and top-class hotels, restaurants and other sports facilities and it’s no surprise that the Algarve is often top of the list for golfers looking for a short-haul, guaranteed-sunshine break. Our selection of the best Algarve hotels for golfers offers a wide range from value chic close to the fairways to all-singing-all-dancing resorts with excellent private courses.
The downside is that green fees to use the courses are not particularly cheap. The solution? Choose a hotel that’s either attached to a golf club or is part of a specifically designed golf resort. These hotels usually offer guests heavily discounted rates. They also often have a range of other sporting activities and pools - children’s clubs and spas in the bigger resorts - to keep everyone in the family happy. Generally, the bulk of the best Algarve hotels for golfers are found to the west of Faro.
7 of the Best Algarve Hotels for Golfers
For a luxury stay
- There’s a good choice of golf courses near Vila Valverde, a contemporary hotel filled with glass, natural materials and neutral colours. Designed for both the active guest and those seeking relaxation, there’s riding, fishing and walking as well as nearby golf, plus a sauna and in-room spa treatments.
- For cliff-top golfing in luxury surrounds, Vila Vita Parc, near Porches, offers light and contemporary rooms plus a host of other sporting activities, including deep-sea fishing and tennis as well as a spa and children’s club. Hungry golfers will not be disappointed: there are eight dining options, including a Michelin-starred restaurant.
- Also with a cliff-top position and Michelin-starred restaurant, Vila Joya is a luxury boutique retreat. There’s a variety of golf packages, plus a resident golf Pro and Golf Academy. For non-golfers, there’s a pool, spa and yoga classes.
- With a choice of four championship courses on site, and eight more nearby, no golfer is going to be bored at Hotel Quinta do Lago, a luxurious resort with a private beach, spa, pools and tennis courts. Rooms are spacious and classically elegant, many with balconies.
For those on a budget
- A good-value choice, and one offering self-catering options, is Casa Beleza do Sul, in the largely unspoilt town of Tavira in the eastern Algarve and close to several quality courses. Combining traditional and contemporary style, the apartments make a lovely cool retreat after a day on the golf course or beach. The shady roof terrace has stunning views over the many church domes of the town.
- Also in Tavira, and a little more sophisticated, the Pousada Convento de Tavira is a former 16th-century convent. Choose from the cool, airy rooms in the original building to chic and contemporary options in the newer extension, overlooking a hidden pool.
- Close to the golf courses near Lagos and surrounded by beautifully romantic gardens, the white-washed Quinta Bonita offers just eight traditional country-house-style rooms with tiled floors, soft colours and private balconies. Golf clubs can be hired from the hotel, plus there’s a pretty pool.
Due to the mild autumn temperatures, golf can be a year-round activity on the Algarve. This means you can avoid the peak holiday seasons and be sure of getting the pick of the best Algarve hotels for golfers. Nothing here for you? Expand your search to include all our Algarve recommendations or contact a friendly guru for advice.
Casa Beleza do Sul Tavira 4 rooms from £74Self catering - Self-catering studio and apartments have well-equipped kitchenettes, terraces with tables and sun loungersTown - Tavira is a charming and unspoilt old town, pretty squares and gardens, fishermen at work on their netsGolf - The Algarve is famous for its golf courses and some of the best are close to TaviraBeach nearby - Beautiful sandy beach close byRecommended by - Sawdays
Beautifully restored 19th-century house in the unspoilt, delightful town of Tavira in the Algarve. Stylish suites and self-catering apartments have been designed by the architect owner. Original mosaic floors and features have been left intact. Shady roof terraces with panoramic views. A gem. See More
Pousada Convento Tavira Tavira, Algarve 36 rooms from £113Value chic - Reasonably priced charming Baroque and Renaissance Pousadas steeped in history with, plush rooms and pretty courtyard garden.Sights nearby - Within walking distance of the town’s great sites, such as the 16th-century Igreja da Misericórdia.Great walks - With wonderful walking around the hilly countryside and through the historic town.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool
A beautifully restored 16th Century convent on Tavira’s castle hill. With Renaissance cloisters, courtyard pool and central garden. Pretty rooms with splashes of bright colour and private balconies. Enjoy the traditional regional cuisine and wide range of Portuguese wines. See More
Quinta Bonita Lagos, Algarve 8 rooms from £91Romantic Break - A wonderfully private and secluded spot, beautiful gardens and fabulous beaches, romantic walks or simply poolside heaven.Sights nearby - Plenty to do and see in nearby LagosViews - Panoramic ocean viewsLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Sawdays
Vila Valverde Valverde, Algarve 15 rooms from £119Total relaxation - Crafted for relaxtion, with comfortable suites, massage treatments, sauna and laid back atmosphere.Great walks - Explore the Monchique hills on foot, the hotel will provide a light packed lunch.Fishing - The hotel will organise big game fishing trips on request.Restrictions on children - This is an adults only property
Lavish accommodation surrounded by orange groves and olive trees. Contemporary white building with lots of natural light, huge terraces, and beautiful views over the grounds. Portugese specialities in the restaurant and lovely swimming pool. A real hideout in supreme comfort. See More
Vila Joya Albufeira, Algarve 22 rooms from £304Foodies - Chef Dieter Koschina runs the Two Michelin Star restaurant- phenomenally tasty, locally sourced and utterly inspired cuisine.Spa breaks - An indulgent spa with extensive therapies including Swedish massage, aromatherapy and reflexology.Lively - Hip and happening.House party feel - Be prepared to meet people.Recommended by - I Escape, Kiwi Collection, Fodors
Vila Vita Parc Porches, Algarve 170 rooms from £174Families - Loads of kiddie stuff so parents can unwind- playground with trampoline, swings and slides, kids club, creche and pool.Foodies - Eight onsite restaurants to choose from- we recommend the tasting menu from two Michelin Star Ocean with wine pairing.Diving - Vila Vita Parc run dive certification courses as well as courses in underwater photography& deep sea diving.Fishing - The concierge will organise for guests to head out on the ocean and try their hand at deep sea fishing.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection
Hotel Quinta do Lago Almancil, Algarve 141 rooms from £291Active Holiday - A golfers paradise with four courses within the Quinta do Lago development, plus ping pong, hiking, cycling, and watersports.Total relaxation - With five star facilities, top of the range spa treatments, Hammam and plenty of poolside lounging.Great walks - Wonderful walks along the Quinta do Lago and along the private beach area.Swimming Pool - Outdoor and indoor poolsRecommended by - Kiwi Collection
A prestigious 5* star property in the Algarve with fantastic facilities, panoramic views and private bridge to the beach. Suites are spacious and well decorated with balconies and a great selection of restaurants. Enjoy the luxurious beach life with a range of activities, pools and spa treatments. See More