- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ Save time, save money
The best rural hotels on Menorca
Menorca is not just about beach life. It has a peaceful interior of fields and gentle hills that are perfect for walking, cycling or horse-riding. Two of the major features of the landscape are the rocky mounds and megalithic monuments that litter the interior; a reminder of the island’s prehistoric past. These make good landmarks for any walks, and many of the best rural hotels on Menorca are well located with walks from the doorstep
You can combine inland walks with stretches of coastline. Restoration work to many of the island’s original coastal paths means you can walk between many of its hard-to-reach coves. There are also plenty of cycle lanes criss-crossing the interior.
One of the best times to visit is in early spring when the almond blossom is at is most bewitching. Temperatures in the months at either end of the peak season are still warm enough for pleasant T-shirt strolling.
Our choice of tMenorca's rural hotels includes agriturismos, country houses and adults-only retreats. Use the guide below and start to plan your break.
For excellent value
- With just eight bright and simple rooms - exposed beams and terracotta-tiled floors - and wrapped in peaceful gardens with a pool, plus an outdoor dining terrace, Binissafullet Vell offers excellent value for money for an away-from-the-crowds retreat.
- Another village hotel, S’Engolidor Restaurante e Fonda, offers a charming, traditional slice of Menorcan life. Rooms are pretty and homely while the popular restaurant has a lovely dining terrace with views of the S’Engolidor Ravine.
For a rural hideaway
- In the countryside yet only a mile or so from the beach, Alcaufar Vell is a large, country mansion with 21 cool and airy rooms with terracotta-tiled floors and white-washed walls. Family-run, it offers a relaxed retreat plus a pool and outdoor dining under olive trees.
- A former farmhouse in extensive grounds, Binigaus Vell offers 15 large and airy, contemporary-country rooms plus a stunning freeform pool. This hotel will suit active families with bikes to borrow, walks from the front door, tennis courts plus horse-riding and sailing are easily arranged.
- Also with walks from the door, Hotel Es Mercadal, in the centre of Menorca, is a traditional village house in sleepy surrounds. Rooms are contemporary-rustic with light colours, exposed beams and tiled floors.
For an agriturismo
- With bright, fresh rooms - including seven self-catering villas - the agriturismo Biniatram has the best of both worlds; surrounded by countryside yet only a mile from the beach, and with a pool, too. It’s a place which oozes authentic charm.
- Son Triay Nou is a simple agriturismo in the heart of Menorca. There’s a choice of rooms or apartments, in simple, traditional style, plus a large pool. Excellent value.
- For an away-from-the-crowds, adults-only retreat, try Agriturismo Son Vives. With just five sleek bedrooms, that mix contemporary styling with original features, some with terraces, and stunning views from the pool, it is totally relaxing.
For adults only luxury
- With chic white-on-white rooms, the adults-only Ca Na Xini is a romantic retreat converted from a traditional country house. With just eight rooms, a pretty pool and barrels of wine ageing in the cellar, you will feel private and pampered.
- Also adults-only, Biniarroca Country House Hotel is a charming 16th-century farmhouse with traditional rooms given a light touch and surrounded by tranquil gardens with plenty of romantic corners.
- Another adults-only choice, Son Tretze is a simple but stylish eight-room B&B, just outside Sant Lluis village. With a small pool, shady dining area and all rooms with a lounge area or private terrace, it provides a quiet retreat yet it’s only two miles to the coast.
- The former farmhouse and outbuildings of Torralbenc have been converted into light and sleek contemporary rooms, most with balconies or terraces, and some with private pools. Plus there’s an elegant pool and an award-winning chef overseeing the restaurant.
- Set in beautiful, flower-filled gardens, Hotel Rural Morvedra Nou offers 19 rustic-chic rooms spread throughout its grounds, many with private terraces. With a pool and nearby walks, and a beach and the town of Ciutadella within striking distance, it offers the best of all worlds.
- Also, do check out the adults-only Agriturismo Son Vives, in the above section.
Menorca may have plenty of lovely beaches but the island’s interior is the place to be if you want a relaxing holiday with the option of some great walking. Our choice of the best rural hotels on Menorca will help you find the perfect retreat. But if you're still undecided expand your search to include all the best placdes to stay in Menorca or conact a friendly guru for advice.
Alcaufar Vell 21 rooms from $162Sant Lluis, Menorca
Located just outside Sant Lluis and only 1.5km from the nearest beach, Alcaufar Vell has been created from an old stone mansion. Twenty one simple yet stylish rooms all with whirlpool baths. Dine under the olive trees on Mediterranean & Menorcan specialities.Restaurant - Superb restaurant serves Mediterranean cuisine with Menorcan specialities. Much of the produce is grown on the estate.Swimming Pool - Outdoor PoolFull of characterTraditional
Binissafullet Vell 8 rooms from $88Mahon
Set in a peaceful garden with swimming pool, this secluded hotel offers an escape from the coastal crowds. The bedrooms have a traditional feel - with exposed beams and tiled floors. Enjoy meals at the hotel or take a short drive to the nearby seaside town of Mahon. A great value stay.Hideaway - Tranquil gardens, inviting pool, away from the hustle and bustle of townValue chic - Traditional accommodation and a welcoming stay all at a great priceKayaking - Hire kayaks to explore island cavesGreat walks - Explore the famous Cami de Cavalls
Binigaus Vell 15 rooms from $137Menorca
This former farm house is walking distance from the amenities of town. The exterior is all white-washed walls whilst inside the rooms are decorated in a country style with terracotta floors. Breakfast and dinner are served whilst a packed lunch is available. Perfect for exploring the nearby beaches!Great walks - Cala Binigaus, Santo Tomas and San Adeodato beaches are a cross-country walk away. Walking maps are available from reception.Sights nearby - Nearby points of interest include Sant Agustí prehistoric settlement and the Cave of the DovesSailing - Boats can be arranged through the hotelSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - I Escape
Hotel Es Mercadal 6 rooms from $171Es Mercadal, Menorca
A traditional Menorcan house dating back to 1869 set in a quiet village in the rural heart of the island. Four bedrooms and two suites individually decorated with exposed wooden beams and terracotta tiles in a charming rustic style. A haven of peace and quiet away from the crowds.Local exploring - Situated right in the rural heart of the island, so there's easy access to all other partsTraditional - The property dates back to the 19th century and has been restored in keeping with the period.Great walks - Menorca is a paradise for hikers and the property is located at the foot of Monte ToroHideaway - A rural hideaway, far from the crowds on the beach
S'Engolidor Restaurante e Fonda 5 rooms from $57Es Migjorn Gran, Menorca
A quaint country house dating back to the 1800s offering guests five homely bedrooms. Terracotta tiles, exposed beams and comfortable beds. The hotel has a popular restaurant with outdoor terrace dining and views of the S’Engolidor ravine. A charming spot with lots of character.Hideaway - Located in a charming village experience a more rural side to MenorcaDiving - Diving on offer at nearby beachesViews - Great views from hotelGreat walks - Good for walkers.
Biniatram 8 rooms from $109Ciutadella de Menorca
Family owned agriturismo offering both B&B and self catering accommodation. Countryside location just a mile from the beach at Cala Morell and close to Ciutadella too. Simple clean rooms, plus lovely outdoor pool. The perfect place for a spot of authentic local charm.Swimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolFull of characterTraditionalBack to Nature
Son Triay Nou 7 rooms from $87Ferrerias, Menorca
Family friendly authentic agriturismo in the centre of Menorca. Seven rooms and six apartments are simply and traditionally furnished. Ideal rural island getaway for groups or families with lovely poolSwimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolsTraditionalBack to Nature
Agriturismo Son Vives 5 rooms from $137Ferreries, Menorca
A quiet, adults only retreat away from coastal crowds with a swimming pool, sun terrace and BBQ area. Bedrooms have a modern farmhouse-chic feel with exposed wooden beams, crisp white-washed walls and some with private terraces. Come for total relaxation and glorious panoramic views.Local exploring - The entire island is fairly accessible from this central location.Views - From its elevated hilltop position the property has wonderful panoramic viewsGreat walks - Good hiking routes for all abilities on your doorstep.Restrictions on children - No children
Ca Na Xini 8 rooms from $211Ferreries, Menorca
A romantic hideaway amidst lush countryside and vineyards, just 3km from the beach. A traditional country house with boutique contemporary interiors. Minimalist white washed rooms have lots of natural light and balconies. Lovely gardens, and swimming pool. Adults only retreat.LuxuryRomantic BreakSights nearby - Castle of Santa Àgueda, the 18th century Saint Bartholomew's church and a Neolithic settlement.Restrictions on children - Over 18s welcome.Recommended by - I Escape
Biniarroca Country House Hotel 18 rooms from $149Sant Lluis, Menorca
16th century farmhouse converted to provide boutique accommodation, just outside the village of Sant Luis. Stylish rooms, delicious food either grown on site or locally sourced and delightful gardens. A beautiful pool set in a flower filled courtyard. A spoiling, adults only retreat.Hideaway - A picturesque and peaceful adults only country abode, nestled amongst bougainvillea filled gardens with a charming pool.Sights nearby - Near to the British fort of Marlborough, the cove of San Esteban and several archaeological sites like Trepucó and Trebalúger.Restrictions on children - Adults onlySwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Fodors
Son Tretze 8 rooms from $177Sant Lluis, Menorca
A short walk from Sant Lluis Village, Son Tretze is an adults only B&B offering a peaceful haven. Spacious bedrooms are tastefully decorate in rustic chic style - all with private lounge area or sun terrace. Just five mins from the beach yet a world away from the crowds.Local exploring - Well placed for exploring Mahon and the surrounding area.Great walks - An abundance of hiking tracks in Menorca for all abilitiesSailing - Departure from the port of MahonSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Torralbenc 27 rooms from $189Alaior, Menorca
A collection of contemporary chic farmhouses surrounded by grass plains. Modern minimalist rooms and suites have all white everything, parquet floors, balconies, some have private pools, and all the mod cons. Award-winning chef, extensive spa, and relaxing vistas. Peace and tranquility.Views - Wonderful views over to the MediterraneanFoodies - Award-winning chef.LuxurySpa breaksRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, CN Traveller, I Escape
Hotel Rural Morvedra Nou 19 rooms from $217Ciutadella (Menorca)
A beautifully restored 17th century home set in luscious flower-filled gardens with swimming pool, just a short drive from Ciutadella. Rustic chic rooms with terracotta tiled floors, exposed stone walls and beamed ceilings. Comfy communal lounge areas and authentic Menorcan cuisine.Local exploring - A great base for exploring Ciutadella and the surrounding area.Hideaway - Off the beaten track location perfect for a holiday away from the crowdsViews - The property benefits from both country and sea views.Sailing - Enjoy a sailing trip from nearby Ciutadella