5 of Tenerife's Best Rural Hotels
If there’s one Canary Island where the interior really does equal - or outshine - its sunny beaches, it is Tenerife. Soaring above everything is the perfect peak of Teide, Spain’s highest mountain (3718 metres) surrounded by a moonscape of dusty-red, volcanic rock formations that look the perfect backdrop for a Wild West movie. And some of the best rural hotels on Tenerife are situated amongst this splendour.
The walking here, in what is Spain’s largest national park, is as exhiliarating as the views. And if you don’t feel you can manage the climb to the top of Teide, there’s a handy cable-car that gets you to within an hour’s walk of the top. The park also contains the Teide Astronomic Observatory offering one of the best places to stargaze in the northern hemisphere.
The Anaga Mountains, in the north, offer further walking opportunities as does the Parque Rural de Teno in the North West. Here, you’ll find the lovely mountain town of Masca. Another good base is La Orotava, inland from the handsome resort of Puerto de la Cruz, and a delight of cobbled streets, colonial mansions and flower-filled plazas. Surrounded by a pine-clad valley with vineyards and chestnut trees, it offers some of the best of town and rural Tenerife.
‘Casas rurales’ or hotels and guesthouses in one of the inland towns and villages offer some of the best rural hotels on Tenerife.
5 of Tenerife's Best Rural Hotels
Rural Escapes for Families on Tenerife
- La Casona del Patio is a 17th century manor house turned family friendly rural retreat. Comfortable rooms offer a wealth of period features, and the restaurant is renowned for its great seafood. For families there is flexible accommodation, kids' menus and loads of space for letting off steam!
The Best Mountain Retreats on Tenerife
- In a perfect location in the mountains near Teide National Park, the rooms - most with balconies - at Hotel Villalba enjoy stunning views. Rooms are unpretentious, plus there’s an indoor pool.
- Parador de Las Canadas del Tiede is a charming mountain lodge set amid the Tiede National Park. As well as simply stunning views, you'll find charming rooms, outdoor pool, gym and excellent restaurant.
Tenerife's Rural Luxury
- The adults-only Hacienda del Conde is tucked away near the sea and under mountains and well away from touristy Tenerife. Rooms are smartly contemporary, and there’s a choice of pools and restaurants, as well as a spa.
Rural Hotels by the Ocean
- Surrounded by banana plantations, yet also close to the beach, the adults-only Hotel Rural el Navio has simple but charming rooms - some with balconies or terraces - and a pool.
Still not found the perfect hotel amongst our pick of rural hotels on Tenerife?
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Tenerife,
- check out all our recommendations for rural hotels in the Canary islands
- or contact a friendly guru for advice.
Hotel Rural El Navio Alcalá, Tenerife 8 rooms from £87Views - Great views from hotelSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorBack to NatureTraditional
La Casona del Patio Santiago del Teide, Tenerife 20 rooms from £85Local exploring - Off the beaten track, ideal for exploring the stunning surrounding coastline, Teno Mountains and Chinyero Nature Reserve.Families - With family rooms, a special kids menus, and plenty of room for running around, it's perfect for a family holiday.Great walks - There are plenty of beautiful options for walking in the nearby Teno Mountains and Chinyero Nature ReserveSights nearby - Visit the stunning seaside village of Garachico, once submerged in lava.
A quaint and easy-going hotel, set in a restored 17th century manor house. The comfortable rooms boast a lovely blend of wooden vaulted ceilings, stone floors, funky furniture and antiques. Enjoy traditional recipes at the tasty seafood restaurant brimming with character and unpretentious charm. See More
Hotel Villalba Vilaflor, Tenerife 27 rooms from £108Total relaxation - With a deluxe wellness centre, sauna, hot spring bath, lovely gardens and an outdoor pool, it's the perfect spot to unwind.Back to Nature - Set high in the mountains on Tenerife, just on the edge of the Teide National Park, it's removed from the tourist bustle.Great walks - Tucked away in this stunning landscape there are loads of walking routes around El Teide and beyond.Restrictions on children - Adult only.
Hotel Villalba is a relaxing hillside retreat set in the mountains near the Teide National Park. The rooms are modestly decorated and feature attached balconies with great views out over the surrounding valley. Explore the nearby UNESCO World Heritage El Teide and its lunar landscape. See More
Parador de Las Cañadas del Teide La Orotava, Tenerife 25 rooms from £95Views - Wonderful panoramic views of the Teide cone, the Chaorra crater, and the White Mountain.Sights nearby - The botanical garden in Puerto de la Cruz.Back to NatureBirdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.
Hacienda del Conde Tenerife 117 rooms from £208Romantic Break - With intimate luxurious suites, an extensive range of restaurants and an adults only policy it's perfect for a romantic break.Total relaxation - Soak up the soothing seculuded atmosphere, excellent service and deluxe spa with a range of treatments.Sights nearby - Visit the picturesque seaside village of Garachico, five miles from the hotel.Sailing - Sail around the coastline to the stunning cliffs of Los Gigantes.
A fabulous five-star hotel off the Tenerife tourist trail. With plush rooms, three restaurants, two swimming pools and an extensive spa, it caters to all preferences. Golfers will cherish the superb Ballesteros designed course facing the sea. Adults only - perfect excuse to leave kids at home. See More