13 of the Best Rural Hotels in the Canary Islands
The Canary Islands are not all beaches and blue seas - though they have plenty of both. As volcanic islands, their interiors offer dramatic scenery from ancient calderas, rugged peaks and stark rock formations to lush, pine-clad hills and acres of almond blossom. These landscapes are a walker’s paradise. The adventurous can even aim for Mount Teide, Spain’s highest mountain, on Tenerife. Dotted amongst the natural landscapes you find quiet villages with buildings in the distinctive Canarian architecture of white-washed walls, wooden balconies and blue- or green-painted timbers. If you want a peaceful retreat, often with stunning views, and with the option of gentle strolls or more strenuous hikes, the best rural hotels on the Canary Islands are worth considering.
Gran Canaria - often referred to as a ‘continent-in-miniature’ due to its varied landscapes - offers scenery from pine-clad hills to rugged and dramatic mountains. One lovely area for walking is in the Guayadeque Ravine with its lush vegetation. For something tougher, head to Roque Nublo, the remains of an ancient volcano.
Lanzarote boasts some of the Canary Islands’ most dramatic volcanic landscapes - as well, curiously, as vineyards. The island’s biggest national parks are the Parque Nacional de Timanfaya and the Parque Natural de Los Volcanes, a series of volcanoes, calderas and lava fields.
But Tenerife is a fair rival to Lanzarote where, soaring above everything, is the perfect peak of Teide, Spain’s highest mountain (3718 metres) surrounded by a moonscape of dusty-red, volcanic rock formations that look the perfect backdrop for a Wild West movie. The walking here, in what is Spain’s largest national park, is as exhilarating as the views.
Tiny La Gomera offers perhaps some of the Canary Islands’ finest walking, with its ravines, forests and high cliffs - and with fewer visitors you really can get away from it all. On the other hand, La Palma - the greenest island - is often considered the prettiest island with a lush natural beauty. By contrast, Fuerteventura offers vast natural sand dunes and open plains dotted with cacti, scrub and goats. For a true escape, head to El Hierro, the smallest island of the group, with its stark volcanic interior, high cliffs, and slow pace of life.
Each island has a lot to offer those looking for a wonderful rural island experience, and here ar our Guru's recommendations for the 13 of the best rural hotels in the Canary Islands.
13 of the Best Rural Hotels in the Canary Islands
The Best Hotels in Rural Lanzarote
- With one of the island’s finest restaurants, La Casona de Yaiza is a timber-clad hotel with a terrifically relaxed atmosphere and a mix of rustic and traditional rooms.
- Between Yaiza village and the Fire Mountains (in the Timanfaya National Park) the 18th-century villa Casa de Hilario offers colourful interiors of contemporary and vintage furnishings, beautiful terraces and a serene atmosphere.
- Casa Tomaren is located right in the middle of the island, so you're well placed for visiting all points north, south, east or west! It offers six chic villas with influences from both Morocco and Indonesia, and is perfect for families or small groups looking for a smart rural stay.
Tenerife's Best Rural Hotels
- In a perfect location in the mountains near Teide National Park, the rooms - most with balconies - at Hotel Villalba enjoy stunning views. Rooms are unpretentious, plus there’s an indoor pool.
- With stunning views of Mount Tiede's cone and being Tenerife's only hotel in a nature reserve, you can't get much more rural than the Parador de las Canadas del Tiede. It's the ideal spot for nature lovers and keen walkers.
The Best Rural Hotels on Gran Canaria
- High in the heart of the island Parador Cruz de Tejeda is surrounded by craggy, tree-cloaked mountains and offers spectacular views. The 86 rooms are crisp and contemporary plus there’s a pool and spa.
- With just six rooms, and tucked high in the mountains, Hotel Rural Las Calas offers both a peaceful retreat and stunning views. Rooms are beautifully rustic plus there’s a pool and friendly, communal dining.
- The Hotel Rural las Tirajanas is a charming hilltop hotel with stunning views out over the Gran Canarian valleys. The characterful rooms are littered with antiques and quaint touches. The restaurant serves local specialities and boasts amazing views. Bicycles and cars are available to rent for day trips. A hillside gem.
- For a rural stay that's not a million miles from a beach, book Finca Las Longueras. This converted period manor has elegant, traditional rooms, lush gardens with swimming pool, and excellent table d'hote dinners.
The Best Rural Hotels on La Gomera
- Overlooking the Hermigua Valley, Hotel Rural Ibo Alfaro is as peaceful as it sounds, with traditionally furnished rooms - some with exposed-stone walls - and epic views.
- Also overlooking the Hermigua Valley, Casa Los Herrera is a family-run guesthouse with charming traditionally furnished rooms and a small pool.
Fuerteventura's Best Rural Hotels
- Far away from the seaside resorts, Mahoh is a traditional Canarian guesthouse with exposed-stone walls and tiled floors; simple and charming, and great value.
- In a remote location at the foot of the cliffs and on a beach, Parador de El Hierro enjoys the best of both the coast and rural tranquillity. Rooms are comfortably traditional; the best with sea views.
If you haven't spotted your idea of the perfect place to stay on the Canary Islands on our Guru's list of 13 of the best rural hotels in the Canary Islands you could:
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay on the Canary Islands?
- Or refine your search by island and consider only the best places to stay on Gran Canaria? or the best places to stay on Tenerife? or the best places to stay on Lanzarote?
- Or you could refine your search by the kind of hotel you fancy and check out our Guru's recommendations for the 10 of the Best Beach hotels in the Canary Islands? or for 7 Great Guesthouses and B&Bs in the Canary Islands? or 16 of the Best Hotels on the Canary Islands for Families?
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
13 of the Best Rural Hotels in the Canary Islands
Hotel Rural Las Tirajanas San Bartolomé de Tirajana, Gran Canaria 60 rooms from £130Total relaxation - Perfect for a relaxing break, set on a tranquil mountain side, with spectacular views and a deluxe spa.Local exploring - A great base for exploring San Bartolomé de Tirajana and the surrounding mountains.Sights nearby - Rent a bike and visit the fantastic Maspalomas Dunes, not far from the hotel.Great walks - Make the most of the beautiful walking in Palmitos Park.
A charming hilltop hotel with stunning views out over the Gran Canarian valleys. The characterful rooms are littered with antiques and quaint touches. The restaurant serves local specialities and boasts amazing views. Bicycles and cars are available to rent for day trips. A hillside gem. See More
La Casona de Yaiza Yaiza, Lanzarote 8 rooms from £69Foodies - Considered by many the best restaurant on the island, the menu is creative and exciting with bold splashes of flavour.Active Holiday - Jose will help you to arrange practically any activity you can think of, from diving to riding and hiking.Fishing - In season (May to December) head out deep sea fishing for big game such as marlin, tuna and wahoo.Great walks - Enjoy a sunset stroll along the beaches or in the manicured gardens of the hotel.Recommended by - I Escape
19th Century country hotel with stunning views, outdoor pool and manicured gardens. Lovely rooms and huge bathrooms are decorated in white, wooden floors and oil paintings. Enjoy the islands favourite restaurant with its popular Mediterranean and Canarian dishes. Rustic elegance and gourmet cuisine. See More
Casa de Hilario Yaiza, Lanzarote 9 rooms from £117Local exploring - Owner José is an indespensible local guide, whether you're into exploring secluded beaches, deep sea fishing or mountain biking.Value chic - This place is a steal- with charming rooms, chic interiors, phenomanal breakfast and Jose's personal touch.Swimming Pool - Outdoor PoolGreat walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - I Escape
Beautifully restored 18th-century cottage just outside Yaiza Village, boasting ocean and mountain views. Contemporary interiors with rustic touches, large bright bedrooms and hand painted decoration. A perfect base for exploring the Island, with owner José as your always helpful guide. See More
Casa Tomarén Mozag, Lanzarote 7 rooms from £98Families - Ideal for a family getaway, self catering villas with pool access, close to the beaches and babysitters on standby!Birdwatching - La Geria,the neighbouring nature reserve is an ideal spot for birdwatching.Great walks - Explore the national park and volcanic peaks.Swimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolRecommended by - I Escape
Hotel Villalba Vilaflor, Tenerife 27 rooms from £108Total relaxation - With a deluxe wellness centre, sauna, hot spring bath, lovely gardens and an outdoor pool, it's the perfect spot to unwind.Back to Nature - Set high in the mountains on Tenerife, just on the edge of the Teide National Park, it's removed from the tourist bustle.Great walks - Tucked away in this stunning landscape there are loads of walking routes around El Teide and beyond.Restrictions on children - Adult only.
Hotel Villalba is a relaxing hillside retreat set in the mountains near the Teide National Park. The rooms are modestly decorated and feature attached balconies with great views out over the surrounding valley. Explore the nearby UNESCO World Heritage El Teide and its lunar landscape. See More
Parador de Las Cañadas del Teide La Orotava, Tenerife 25 rooms from £95Views - Wonderful panoramic views of the Teide cone, the Chaorra crater, and the White Mountain.Sights nearby - The botanical garden in Puerto de la Cruz.Birdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.Traditional
Hotel Rural Las Calas San Mateo, Gran Canaria 6 rooms from £68Local exploringCountry EscapeContemporaryActive HolidayRecommended by - I Escape, Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
Parador Cruz de Tejeda Tejeda, Gran Canaria 86 rooms from £95Country EscapeViews - Wonderful views over the surrounding countrysideSwimming Pool - Outdoor and Indoor PoolsSpa
A large hotel surrounded by nature, mountainous ranges, and valley views. Large traditional chic bedrooms and suites with stunning views from private balconies. Excellent restaurants, bar, swimming pool, spa, and verdant gardens. A fabulous back to nature experience with excellent facilities. See More
Finca Las Longueras Agaete, Gran Canaria 10 rooms from £91Great walks - Great walking on the doorstep for all abilities.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool surrounded by palm treesBirdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - I Escape
Hotel Rural Ibo Alfaro Hermigua, La Gomera 17 rooms from £65Country Escape - This rural retreat offers startling views from rooms and terraces, and there is plenty of gorgeous countryside to be explored.Sights nearby - Wander through the historic village of Hermigua and be sure to visit the remarkable "Santo Domingo" church.Great walks - Discover the picturesque surrounding valley on long rambling walks.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
A traditional property commanding epic views of the Hermigua valley. Each of the 17 individually styled rooms has its own charm; think quaint prints, antique furniture and original features. The perfect spot to start out on a days hiking. Ideal for those in search of complete tranquility. See More
Casa los Herrera Hermigua, La Gomera 8 rooms from £69Country Escape - The hotel sits opposite the church square in the centre of Hermigua, a small rural town along a picturesque ravine.Great walks - Make the most of the stunning walking trails in Parque Nacional de Garajonay.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorTraditional
A charming family run guesthouse in rural La Gomera. The rooms are individually appointed with bespoke antique furnishings and have a distinctly rustic feel. Start the day well with a delicious breakfast before exploring the beautiful valleys and coasts of the island. An excellent low-cost option. See More
Mahoh Villaverde, Fuerteventura 9 rooms from £68Country Escape - Tucked away in the countryside, away from all the mega seaside resorts, with stunning views of the mountains.Great walks - This rugged landscape offers great walking, especially the nearby Malpais de la Arena.Sights nearby - Visit the charming fishing town of El Cotillo, six miles from the hotel.Full of character
Mahoh is a traditional 19th century Canarian house, awash with heritage and charm. The rooms are dominated by great antique beds and are given added character from their exposed stone walls. Sample typical Canarian food at the hotel's restaurant. A delighful, low-cost option. See More
Parador de El Hierro Villa de Valverde, El Hierro 45 rooms from £90Hideaway - Set directly on a beach at the foot of cliffs, is this perfect hideaway spot, on an island once considered the end of the world.Total relaxation - Unwind on this tiny, tropical island of El Hierro, with sauna, hot tubs and massages available.Diving - Diving can be arranged by the hotel and is a great way to explore the island from another perspective!Great walks - Guests will love exploring the rugged coastline, or wandering towards the mountains.