20 Best Hotels in Amsterdam for Couples
Amsterdam is rife with opportunities for romantic moments, what with the canals, the floating flower market, the art galleries and museums, the pokey streets lined with bars and boutiques, and the historic atmosphere. It’s fun too! A great city to share with someone special because it’s so easy to explore on foot and so lively and varied. Our Gurus had no trouble recommending the most romantic hotels in Amsterdam. From stunning canalside historic property conversions, to five star grand dames and even a cosy little hideaway just out of town. Use our guide to the best hotels in Amsterdam for couples and start planning your special getaway!
For the Romance of Amsterdam
- The Hotel Mercier is in a gorgeous old building in bohemian Jordaan, and offers lovingly restored original features combined with stylish contemporary comforts that err slightly towards the minimal. There are 48 rooms and suites, all individually designed and laid out — the largest offer split level living, with loads of space, and vintage pieces. The bar is elegant, and there’s a chic cafe too, plus a comfortable lounge.
- The hotel Seven One Seven Hotel is a beautiful nine room hotel converted from a former sugar merchant’s residence on the Prinsengacht, close to the Rijksmuseum. Each room and suite is individually decorated with antiques that make the most of original features, a chic colour scheme, and original art. There’s also an extremely elegant sitting room, and a lounge, plus a chic dining room that serves an elegant breakfast. The service is attentive without being fussy, and it feels very personal.
For the Album
- The Andaz Amsterdam is a showcase of bold design. Everywhere you look someone has taken time to create something special for the Andaz, from the garden to the spa, the lobby, restaurant, bar, library and the122 rooms and suites. Expect murals, chandeliers in bells, giant spoons or fish, pod-like bathtubs, contemporary stained glass and unexpected artworks. Unforgettably wow.
- The Hotel Twenty Seven is a small, extremely elegant hotel, super centrally located, in Dam Square, close to Centraal Station. Occupying an old townhouse, the Twenty Seven has just 16 rooms and suites, opulently dressed, with golden velvet furnishings, marble bathrooms, luxurious details, and seriously fancy design pieces — including a circular bed and a telescope in the attic suite. The views are incredible, and the bar and restaurant are nothing short of beautiful.
For a Special Occasion
- The Hotel de L'Europe is a stylish, central, luxurious pick, right on the water at the corner of the Amstel and the Rokin. Maybe luxurious deserves to be mentioned first, because the Hotel de L’Europe does classical luxury brilliantly; think beautiful lighting, oil paintings, mahogany, large windows, fine linen and large, marble bathrooms. There are 88 rooms and suites in all, plus two Michelin recommended restaurants and a state-of-the-art spa.
- The Hotel Toren is an opulently dressed, 40 room hotel converted from neighbouring 17th century townhouses on the Prinsengracht canal. If your idea of romantic includes velvet drapes, oil paintings, elegant lampshades, gilt and dark wallpapers, then Toren is for you. Each room is different, so make sure you pick your perfect match. There’s a lounge, where small bites are served, and a cocktail bar, which doubles up as a breakfast room. There’s also a leafy terrace.
For an Intimate Escape
- The Ambassade Hotel is another beautifully converted collection of 17th century townhouses in central Amsterdam, surrounded by canals. Ten houses have been joined to make the hotel, which has 58 rooms and suites, all individually decorated with bags of style, contemporary art, and plenty of luxurious detail. The hotel also has a gorgeous library, a breakfast room and salon with fantastic canal views, and a fine dining restaurant.
For a City Break
- Pestana Amsterdam Riverside is a five star hotel in De Pijp, on the Rijksmuseum side of the Amstel. Its 154 rooms and suites are split between the original historic building and a neighbouring contemporary building. The interiors of both are elegant, crisp and contemporary, with a soft grey colour palette, and a range of luxury extras. The hotel has a spa and gym too.
For Art Lovers
- Breitner House is a two room boutique hotel converted from an elegant townhouse on the edge of the Oosterpark. This is a special building, beautiful decorated, with large light-giving windows, and a history of artist residents, including George Breitner and Isaac Israel. Expect books, antiques, chandeliers, murals, plants, a music room and plenty of art. You’re off centre, but only 15 minutes from the Museum Quarter by public transport.
For a romantic Weekend
- The Pulitzer Amsterdam has an impressive 225 rooms and suites, spread through an even more impressive 25 interlinked 17th and 18th century canal houses. It provides a wonderful combination of traditional Dutch living and architecture, and contemporary style and comfort. Guests can expect plenty of canal views, and charming original features in some of the rooms, plus contemporary art and design and all the mod cons. The Pulitzer is in cool Jordaan, close to all the main sights of Amsterdam. and surrounded by hip boutiques, bars and restaurants. The courtyard, which spreads between the buildings, is incredible, and the Jansz restaurant is superb.
- The Dylan Hotel is a cool, canal-side pick, with 40 rooms in a range of shapes and sizes. The decor is a smart blending of the building’s original features and contemporary style and ideas. There’s also a courtyard, a sophisticated bar and a Michelin-starred restaurant. There’s also a small spa and gym. This is a smaller, but very vibrant choice.
For First Timers
- The Hotel V Nesplein is a slick and spacious city break hotel, with Victorian industrial chic decor in its 42 rooms and suites, and in its buzzing bar and restaurant — which are popular with locals as well as visitors. The central location makes it perfect for a flying visit, but it’s on a side street, so you should get a peaceful night’s sleep. And the staff are definitively of the sort who’ll help you fit in and have the best possible visit you can.
- The Hotel Estherea is on a stretch of the oldest canal in Amsterdam, a magically converted 17th century townhouse, now offering 71 rooms and suites. Guests can expect chandeliers, vibrant wallpapers and fabrics, panelling, and incredible detail. Breakfast is worth waking up for, and drinks are worth staying up for.
For Cool Design
- Morgan & Mees is a cool yet cosy boutique hotel in the chic Westerpark district close to Jordaan. The exterior has a post-factory vibe, and there’s something of the industrial in the monochrome interiors, but a lot going on beside — like contemporary art, individually laid out rooms, and really cool rugs. There are just nine rooms, which vary in size and luxury; book a suite for living space and a freestanding bath. The restaurant and bar are cool too.
- The Hotel Okura is a high-rise hotel outside Amsterdam’s canal circle, but with a great view of it from many of its higher floors. It has 300 rooms and suites in a range of sizes and shapes, but all of them are simple, but luxurious, with plenty of space and elegant details. It also has an extensive spa, with a hammam, sauna steam room and hot tubs, and four restaurants — two with Michelin stars.
For Something Different
- The Hotel Arena is a large hotel just outside the centre of Amsterdam right by leafy Oosterpark. The best of its 139 large and inviting rooms and suites have panoramic views of the city, or of the Oosterpark, and all of them feature vintage and contemporary design pieces, high ceilings, large windows and enough light to have pot plants. All very bright and inviting. The hip cafe/restaurant has great options for each meal, and a fresh choice of cocktails too.
- The Inn on the Lake is outside of Amsterdam, on a picturesque lake in Broek in Waterland. It’s peaceful and beautiful, and well linked to Amsterdam by train. The inn has just four suites, all elegantly decorated in muted colours, with large, comfy beds, lovely terraces, and original features. Meals are offered on request.
- The Mokum Suites comprises two B&B suites in an historic property in the canal district. This is the perfect place to stay if you want to pretend you’re a local. Large windows guarantee incredible canal views, but also a light, airy space. The high ceilings and original features help too, and the white walls, and white furnishings are fresh and crisp.
- La Remise is another small, stylish B&B in a chic and central residential district. Its three rooms are decorated in pastel colours and feature contemporary art and design pieces — book the Sud Room if you’d like a King Size bed and extra living space. Breakfast is complimentary, and served in the breakfast room, which also has cooking facilities.
Still not sure where to book?
- You could browse our recommendations for all the best places to stay in Amsterdam
- Refine your search to just the best hotels near the Rijksmuseum, the Van Gogh Museum, the best hotels near Dam Square or the Vondelpark
- Or else refine by the type of hotel, and consider our lists of the coolest hotels in Amsterdam, the best spa hotels in Amsterdam or the best guesthouses in Amsterdam
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice?
Hotel V Nesplein Amsterdam 42 rooms from £239Short break - Just a10-minute walk to Centraal Station (one tram-stop) — this is convenient for a quick city breakChic - The style is eclectic (classic of the Dutch) giving the feel of staying in a friend's very chic homeLocal exploring - You could hardly get more central – a minute from the Dam, on the edge of the red-light districtTheatre - Set on a street that is a focus of Amsterdam’s alternative theatre scene
A chic modern hotel located slap-bang in the heart of the city. Industrial-chic rooms and suites have dark wood floors and stylish bathrooms. There's a buzzy restaurant and bar area which occasionally hosts live music. A central and cool spot for a weekend away in Amsterdam. See More
Mokum Suites Amsterdam City Centre 2 rooms from £195Local exploring - Located close to the city centre and the main attractions, this B&B makes a great base for local exploringCity Style - Situated in a heritage property in the charming canal district, this hotel has lots of local styleRomantic Break - The hotel's contemporary, stylish suites are great for a romantic couples' getawaySights nearby - Stroll through town to Dam Square, Amsterdam's lively central plaza and home to the Royal Palace, a neoclassical gemRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
This unique B&B is located a heritage property in the heart of Amsterdam's canal district. Suites are contemporary, featuring chic design pieces and homely soft furnishings; book the airy Star Suite for high ceilings, original architectural details and pretty canal views. A charming city bolt-hole. See More
La Remise Amsterdam City Centre 3 rooms from £170Local exploring - This hotel is in a great location, close enough to visit all the main attractions while still being able to sleep peacefullyRomantic Break - Couples love this cosy B&B; book the Sud Room for a king-size bed with plush linensCity Style - With chic, contemporary interiors, this modern B&B has lots of city styleSights nearby - Stroll along to Dam Square, one of Amsterdam's central squares and within walking distance of the B&BRecommended by - Tablet
This unique, luxury bed & breakfast is located in Noorderstraat, Amsterdam. Rooms are dressed in a pastel palette and feature innovative design pieces, cosy soft furnishings and contemporary artworks; book the Sud Room for extra living space. Enjoy the complimentary breakfast; an intimate city stay. See More
Inn on the Lake Amsterdam (AH Broek in Waterland) 4 rooms from £213Foodies - There may not actually be a restaurant, but Pamela's homemade breakfasts & excellent dinners make this a foodie destinationShort break - Set just 11 minutes from Amsterdam’s central station, this couldn't be more convenient for a quick weekend getawayRomantic Break - Gorgeous rooms with high ceilings, chandeliers, and free-standing tubs at the end of the bed ensure a romantic stayHotel boats for hire - The hotel's private boat will ferry you on days out along picture-perfect lakes and riverwaysRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Michelin Travel
A gorgeous lakeside guesthouse with beautiful views. Four elegant rooms are each individually styled and feel traditional yet fresh. All have a free-standing bathtub, high ceilings, and chandeliers. The host is an outstanding cook and rustles up excellent breakfasts and dinners. A romantic hideaway. See More
Morgan & Mees Amsterdam (Westerpark) 9 rooms from £191Local exploring - Located close to the artsy neighbourhood of Jordaan, this hotel is perfectly placed for local exploring in AmsterdamCity Style - With contemporary interiors featuring designer furnishings and toiletries, this hotel has lots of chic city styleRomantic Break - Couples love this hotel's cool, modern feel; book the luxury suite for added indulgence on your romantic getawaySights nearby - Stroll down to Dam Square and visit the Royal Palace, a neoclassical gem and the setting for Dutch royal events
This cosy boutique hotel is located in the bohemian Amsterdam West district. Stylish guestrooms boast COCO-MAT beds, unique artwork and Marie Stella Maris toiletries; book the luxury suite for living space and a freestanding bathtub. Dine at the contemporary hotel restaurant; a chic city guesthouse. See More
Hotel Mercier Amsterdam 48 rooms from £193City Style - Nestled in the trendy Jordaan district of Amsterdam in a historic property, this hotel has reams of local styleLocal exploring - Located in a fashionable, central area of Amsterdam, this hotel makes the perfect base for local exploringRomantic Break - Couples love the hotel's chic, Art Deco style and the cosy hotel suitesSights nearby - Visit the Westerkerk, a famous 17th-century Dutch church located within walking distance of the hotelRecommended by - Tablet
Located in a heritage building in Jordaan, the Hotel Mercier has been lovingly restored, offering rooms with an Art Deco style, unique artworks and vintage furnishings; the best suite offers split-level living. Relax with coffee and cake at the Ons Huis café. A smart hotel. See More
Hotel Arena Amsterdam 139 rooms from £129Foodies - Foodies are spoilt for choice at the hotel restaurant, with local and international dishes and a focus on fresh produceCity Style - Located in a beautiful heritage building on the outskirts of the city centre, this hotel has reams of local styleRomantic Break - Book a luxury suite with a freestanding bathtub for added indulgence on your next couples' getawayGreat walks - Explore Oosterpark, the pretty public park which neighbours the hotel, on a long walk
This chic, four-star hotel is located in a heritage property on the edge of Amsterdam's city centre. Rooms are bright and inviting with vintage design pieces; book a suite for beautifully appointed living space and panoramic views of the city or Oosterpark. Eat at the airy bistro; a charming hotel. See More
The Pavilions Amsterdam, The Toren Amsterdam 40 rooms from £198Romantic Break - Rooms are equal parts boudoir as they are bedroom and bathrooms feature hot tub baths - very romanticCity Style - Enjoy cocktails at the lively bar before an evening exploring the vibrant restaurants and barsSights nearby - Dam Square, the Royal Palace and several museums are within walking distance of the hotelClose to nightlife - Set in the Jordaan area there is a wide range of restaurants and typical Amsterdam cafésRecommended by - Frommers, Michelin Travel, Tablet
Lavish boutique encompassing two 17th-century canal-side townhouses in central Amsterdam. Romantic rooms and suites are decorated in moody hues with rich fabrics and theatrical details. Enjoy a cocktail at the bar (where breakfast is served) or small bites in the lounge. A great city crashpad. See More
Andaz Amsterdam Amsterdam 122 rooms from £328Contemporary - Modern touches make for easy living with work spaces, numerous sockets, & a tv that accesses the hotel's video art collectionDesigner - Designed and decorated by Marcel Wanders who has let his imagination run wild in keeping with the Andaz's whimsical designCity Style - Andaz always does city chic just right with flamboyant design, luxe touches, and well-trained staffSights nearby - The Anne Frank House, Wester Church, Royal Palace, and the Red Light District are all nearbyRecommended by - Tablet, Kiwi Collection
A spectacular five-star hotel, the ultimate in fantastical design. The suites, garden, spa, restaurant, bar and library are designer showcases — fish head centrepieces, chandeliers, ornate cornicing, murals, porcelain, metallic gold etc. Canalside-cool and splendour for a unique city stay. See More
Pestana Amsterdam Riverside Amsterdam (Oud Zuid) 154 rooms from £202City Style - Situated in a heritage building on the canalside in central Amsterdam, this hotel has lots of city styleRomantic Break - Book the romantic Mezzanine Suite for your next couples' getaway and enjoy a freestanding bathtubLocal exploring - With a privileged location in De Pijp, this hotel is perfectly located for local exploringLuxury - The large swimming pool and spa offer some extra luxury at this chic stay
This five-star luxury hotel is located in De Pijp, Amsterdam. Guests can choose between rooms in the historic municipal building or contemporary studios at River House. Interiors are elegant and modern with crisp white linens; book the penthouse suite for charming heritage details. A chic city stay. See More
Hotel de L'Europe Amsterdam 111 rooms from £515Luxury - For serious luxury pick one of the Dutch Masters suites, luxury artists’ lofts with replicas of paintings from the RijksmuseumFoodies - Four restaurants serve up something for everyone, from Bord’Eau's two Michelin stars to Freddy’s BarLocal exploring - It’s hard to get more central than the De L’Europe Amsterdam, on the banks of the AmstelGood wine list - Bord'Eau has an impressive wine collection with over 850 bottlesRecommended by - Tablet, Kiwi Collection
A five-star hotel set on Amstel's banks with Michelin-starred restaurants and a state-of-the-art spa. Decadent traditional living areas lead up to opulent rooms and suites. Rich wallpapers, marble bathrooms, mahogany furniture, and Old Master replicas. Undeniably one of the city's grand dames. See More
Pulitzer Amsterdam Amsterdam 225 rooms from £429Romantic Break - Beautiful accommodation, splendid cuisine and one of Europe's finest cities on your doorstep — perfect for a romantic getawayCity Style - An achingly cool and contemporary spot, set within 25 linked canal houses dating back to the 17th centurySights nearby - The Royal Palace, Dam Square and Leidesplein are some of the many attractions just a short distance awayRestaurant - Jansz serves a fine menu of newly imagined modern classics.Recommended by - Tablet, Mr & Mrs Smith
Pulitzer Amsterdam consists of 25 interlinked 17th and 18th century canal houses offering luxurious accommodation in the city's centre. They combine modern and traditional Dutch architecture to give it a classical fresh feel and their superb Jansz restaurant is a must visit. A top-notch city stay! See More
Hotel Twenty Seven Amsterdam City Centre 16 rooms from £499Local exploring - Perched on one of Amsterdam's central squares, this hotel is the perfect base for local exploringRomantic Break - Book a luxury suite with a private hot tub for added indulgence on your next couples' getawayCity Style - Located in a beautifully restored heritage building, this hotel has lots of chic city styleSights nearby - Visit the Royal Palace, used by the Dutch Royal House; tours are available, the hotel can book ahead for youRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
This boutique hotel is located in Dam Square, in the heart of Amsterdam's city centre. Suites are opulent, featuring textured walls and luxury prints in a regal palette; book a signature suite for stylish living space and breathtaking city views. Enjoy a cocktail in the cosy bar; an exclusive hotel. See More
Hotel Okura, Amsterdam Amsterdam 300 rooms from £2395* Luxury - For those who want all the luxury trimmings this is a great option with standout service, fine dining, and a spaFoodies - Two Michelin awarded restaurants, with the Ciel Bleu being the flagship with its impressive two Michelin starsSwimming Pool - The hotel boasts the city's largest swimming pool - suitable for unwinding in or doing some morning lapsViews - The higher you go, the better the views. It is worth booking one of the suites to enjoy these
The Okura is the pinnacle of luxury. With a vast variety of rooms and suites, all lavishly decorated with stunning views of the city, the Okura will cater to your every need. There is an extensive spa onsite, and a selection of 4 restaurants two of which hold Michelin stars. A has-it-all stay. See More
Seven One Seven Hotel Amsterdam 9 rooms from £456Local exploring - Location lends itself nicely to exploring the city whether you want to explore the nearby museums, restaurants or designer shopsTotal relaxation - Relax and recharge in this homely hotel, afternoon tea in the library, and an evening glass or two of wineDesigner - Interiors by former owner, the fashion designer Kees van der Valk — this is a very stylish stayOutstanding location - Overlooking Amsterdam's most beautiful canal, PrinsengrachtRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, Kiwi Collection, Michelin Travel
A grand 17th-century sugar trader's residence oozing with old-world charm on the UNESCO canal network. Marble floors, oak panelling and beautiful paintings adorn the rooms. Enjoy breakfast in the dining room, relax with a book in the antique-filled sitting room or explore the city with ease. See More
The Dylan Hotel Amsterdam 40 rooms from £345City Style - A wonderfully balanced design hotel with the perfect mix of style and practicality, ideally set within the grachtengordelFoodies - Michelin starred Vinkeles restaurant serves impeccable cuisine and the lounge bar is one of the hottest spots in the cityClose to nightlife - Located on one of the city's most beautiful canals, packed with chic cafes, hip bars and trendy restaurantsBoutique - A chic boutique stay where period charm perfectly meets contemporary stylingRecommended by - I Escape, Tablet, Frommers, Kiwi Collection, Small Luxury Hotels, Michelin Travel
Hotel Estheréa Amsterdam 91 rooms from £195Full of character - The feel is much like you've stepped into a period drama with patterned wallpaper, detailed fabrics, & not a hint of uniformityLocal exploring - Set on the oldest canal on the city in the heart of the historic centre and surrounded by hip shops, cafes and restaurantsIntimate - The hotel may be large, but it is a family-run affair and that really shows in the genuinely friendly serviceHistoric - Set in a beautiful seventeenth-century building on Amsterdam’s oldest canal, the SingelRecommended by - Frommers, Michelin Travel
17th century townhouses make up this boutique hotel on Amsterdam's oldest canal. Chandeliers, mahogany panelling and extravagant decor adorn the rooms. Large suites are all unique with luxurious fabrics and vibrant wallpapers. Breakfast is worth waking up for; drinks at the bar worth staying up for. See More
Ambassade Hotel Amsterdam 58 rooms from £274Writing a novel - A favourite amongst writers; signed copies of famous author's books adorn the library, perfect for some inspiration!Traditional - Stretching through 11 canal houses, this is a resplendent stay with original art and antiques a-plentyMuseums - Rijksmuseum, the Van Gogh Museum and the Stedelijk Museum are all walking distanceHistoric - For more than half a century this was the go-to hotel for Dutch publishersRecommended by - Fodors, Frommers, Good Hotel Guide, Michelin Travel
17th Century waterfront hotel in the heart of Amsterdam's canal district. A clever conversion of 11 canal houses, rooms are Louis XVI in style, filled with traditional antiques and complemented with modern art. There's fine dining at Brasserie Ambassade and drinks in the library. A city gem. See More
Breitner House Amsterdam 2 rooms from £516City Style - A private home with beatifully ornate interiors and the owner present to give you personalised city tipsTownhouse - The house is decorated with period antiques, original fireplaces and Italian chandeliers, and brocadesHistoric - Once home of a celebrated 19th-century Dutch artist, the building still keeps its lavish designLuxury - Touches such as the exceptional champagne breakfast make this a very luxurious stay
Expect champagne breakfasts and architectural treasures in this elegant and romantic boutique hôtel. Just two exquisite suites in this fascinating and beautiful house where impressionists such as George Breitner and Isaac Israel worked in these splendid rooms. An unforgettable treat. See More