The Best Pubs with Rooms in the South West
England’s South West is one of the sunniest, warmest and, arguably, the prettiest parts of the UK. This is where you’ll find Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, and Somerset. And the Scilly Isles. And for a lot of folk from other parts of the country, and from further afield, those names mean holidays. The South West has two entire national parks: Dartmoor and Exmoor, plus some of the New Forest, plus Stonehenge, Jurassic Coast and the Eden Project. Then there’s that beautiful, long coastline sotted with fishing villages and wonderful rural hamlets in the interior, beside some exquisite stately homes. What better way to explore the area than to start by basing yourself in one of the best pubs with rooms in the South West?
Because the South West has so much to offer, we at the Hotel Guru think it’s ripe for exploring along the old highways and byways, and of course you’ll want to stay in some of its best taverns along the way. Not every region is as rich in old coaching inns and friendly roadside pubs with rooms as this one is, and our Guru’s collection of the best pubs with rooms in the South West includes some great foodie options, some prefect walkers' retreats and some wonderfully rural refuges from modern life.
Our recommendations for the best pubs with rooms in the South West are a collection of friendly properties, all offering a great meal, a comfortable night's rest and a friendly welcome. Staying in these kinds of properties leaves you open to local suggestions and the chance to meet new friends. Or of course to entirely escape from everything, if that’s your preference.
The Most Memorable Pubs with Rooms
- The Lamb at Hindon has been a great Wiltshire pub with rooms for 800 years! A few hundred miles south of Scotland, these days it’s the country outpost of Boisdale, the Scottish-themed Belgravia restaurant. Tartan is everywhere and rooms all have a bottle of whisky in them for a night cap in bed.
- Leased from Lord Bath's Longleat Estate, the rooms in The Bath Arms feature exotic throws, black marble bathrooms, enormous beds and quirky pieces of furniture. Indian inlaid furniture sits comfortably with hand-painted wallpaper depicting English eccentrics.
- The Acorn Inn claims to be Hardy's "Sow and Acorn" in Tess of the D'Urbevilles and it certainly has a long history - it dates back to the 16th century. Now however it offers individually decorated rooms in a traditional style and an award winning restaurant dishing up seasonal fare.
The Most Romantic Pubs with Rooms
- The Stapleton Arms in Buckthorn Weston is a reinvented English country pub with boutique-style decor which has retained many of the original features. There are four individually designed rooms and a gourmet, locally sourced pub menu. Don’t miss the breakfasts fit for a king or the Sunday Roasts.
- The Red Lion Inn is in pretty Babcary, around 45minutes from Bath and right in the heart of Somerset. The roof is thatched, the six rooms have been individually decorated and there’s smart linens and toiletries. There’s also an award-winning restaurant with a menu which changes daily.
- The Queen’s Arms in Corton Denham is a quintessentially English, Georgian inn with eight comfortable and elegant rooms and well priced gourmet food. There are some great walking trails nearby, plus several notable National Trust properties.
- The Cott Inn in Dartington, right between Dartmoor and the South Devon coastline, is a picturesque building in a picturesque spot. It’s one of England’s oldest inns and the perfect country escape with a snug bar and an excellent restaurant.
- Gurnard’s Head Hotel in Zennor is a charming, Cornish inn surrounded by breathtaking countryside. There are seven traditional-feeling rooms and an informal gastro-pub to keep you sated. Simple, homely and full of character.
- The Ragged Cot is a lovely, 17th century inn in a beautiful spot overlooking 600 acres of National Trust land around Stroud. There are nine comfortable rooms and a modern bar and restaurant specialising in seafood.
The Best Foodie Pubs with Rooms
- Wiltshire’s Red Lion Freehouse, which overlooks the river Avon is a great foodie getaway. Here you don't just get gastropub fayre - it's Michelin starred! Rooms are understated luxury with as much attention to detail here as there is in the kitchen, and all have decks with view of river or countryside.
- The Swan in Wedmore is a small gourmet pub-with-rooms in a charming village. The rooms are pretty luxurious with huge stand-alone bathtubs and every mod. con., and the menu is by Tom Black from the River Cottage.
- The Museum Inn is a picturesque country pub in the pretty village of Farnham, north Dorset, on the Cranborne Chase (an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty). There are eight individually designed rooms in the main house and converted stables building, plus a separate large cottage which sleeps up to 16. Plus there’s both gastro pub and fine dining options.
- The Stapleton Arms in Buckthorn Weston is a reinvented English country pub with boutique-style decor which has retained many of the original features. There are four individually designed rooms and a gourmet, locally sourced pub menu. Don’t miss the breakfasts fit for a king or the Sunday roasts.
The Best Family Friendly Pubs with Rooms
- Northleach’s The Wheatsheaf Inn is an old inn recently converted and imaginatively decorated. There are 14 comfortable rooms, great food, a pretty, enclosed garden, a rustic treatment rooms and a cask ale bar. There's a fabulous family room which sleeps 2 adults and 2 kids and delicious mini menu for your little ones.
- The White Hart in Somerton is a charming gastro-pub with six beautifully decorated rooms - and one suite - and great food. Expect lots of natural light, a lovely dining area and a big garden. Great for families or for couples, and rooms start from around £70 per night.
For a country escape
- Recently refurbished and redecorated, The Beckford Arms, on the edge of the Fonthill Estate in south Wiltshire, is cosy but modern with natural materials everywhere. Everything, from the Bramley toiletries to the DVD selection to the art has been carefully selected by the owners, and the food is excellent. The menu changes daily but might include whole suckling pig spit-roasted on the bar’s open fire, the kitchen's own hams and piccalilli, game pies with homemade pastry and aged Wiltshire steaks.
- The King John Inn in Tollard Royal, near the Dorset border, is owned by a wine merchant and an interior decorator, meaning that the King John has a wine shop as well as five luxurious en suite bedrooms. The public areas are sophisticated with country touches, and the menu is brief and to the point with local produce, well cooked.
The Best Value Pubs with Rooms
- Didmarton’s 17th Century King’s Arms coaching inn has a great position in the heart of the Cotswolds, and six, stylish rooms featuring Stubbs paintings and antique furniture. The food is great pub grub. Rooms start from around £90 per night.
- The Red Lion in Clovelly, Devon, overlooks the harbour, and has 17 neutral, but attractive rooms, some of them with sea views. The bar and restaurant are cosy and friendly and it’s got a very traditional seaside holiday feel to it. Rooms start from around £100 per night.
- The Talbot Inn in Frome is a charming village pub with eight country chic rooms and a friendly feel. Rooms start from around £90 per night.
- The Compasses Inn in Tisbury is a part-thatched 14th century inn with exposed timber frames, open fires, flagstone floors and locally sourced food. The four rooms are in the more modern part of the property and are simple, comfortable, and start from around £85 per night.
If you haven’t found your idea of the best bups wth rooms in the South West on our Guru’s list you could:
- Browse through our list of Somerset’s best pubs with rooms,
- or of great Wiltshire pubs with rooms,
- or refine your search to Gloucestershire’s best pubs with rooms,
- or the best pubs with rooms in Devon or Dorset,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
The Best Pubs with Rooms in the South West
The Lamb at Hindon 19 rooms from £119Salisbury, Wiltshire
Intimate English village Inn full of charm and history - an institution for 800 years. Renovated, elegant rooms are cosy and plush. Guests are welcomed by roaring fires, hearty meals, and beautiful surroundings. A country escape or a stopover en route further West.Romantic Break - Recently refurbished rooms are elegantly decorated with crisp linens and antique pieces, plus there's cosy dining in the bar.Country Escape - A picture perfect English country Inn, complete with inglenook fireplaces, flag-stone floors and heavy wooden beams.Great walks - The hotel has compiled a range of walks starting from the doorstep.Sights nearby - Stonehenge is a short drive away and well worth checking out.Recommended by - Sawdays
The Bath Arms 15 rooms from £115Warminster, Wiltshire
Nestled on the Longleat Estate, this stylishly decorated pub reflects the boho-chic of Lord Bath. Modern and comfortable rooms above the quintessentially English pub serving traditional food. Located between Bath and Stonehenge, this pub is a great base for local exploring and family mini breaks.Families - Very child friendly, with extra beds, cots, highchairs and babysitting all readily available- plus Longleat next door!Value chic - With double rooms starting from as little as £115 per night including breakfast, The Bath Arms is excellent value.Sights nearby - On the Longleat Estate, with safari, extenisve landscaped gardens and spectacular Elizabethan House.Local markets - Frome farmers' market, on the second Saturday of the month, is one of the West Country's best.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Sawdays
Stapleton Arms 4 rooms from £110Buckhorn Weston, Dorset
A reinvention of the English country pub, boutique style. Original highlights - wooden beams, inglenook fireplaces - retained, with addition of stylish, freshly designed rooms. The gourmet pub food has gained a reputation for Sunday Roasts, inspired menus and a breakfast fit for a king.Foodies - Locally sourced, responsibly reared meats, veggies from the back garden, homemade pork pies, scotch eggs and relish- heaven!Families - Child and dog friendly, with kids menu, highchairs, crayons, and plenty of fun countryside activities.Great walks - They will show you where to go, supply you with wellies, umbrellas and picnics- so get out there and explore!Local markets - Towns of Shaftesbury and Gillingham both have markets to explore.Recommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
Gurnard's Head Hotel 7 rooms from £130Zennor, Cornwall
A charming Cornish Inn surrounded by breathtaking countryside. A magnet for walkers, the traditional rooms are designed to afford every comfort to these weary travelers. An informal coastal gastropub serves up the best local ingredients, cooked to perfection. Simple, characterful and homely.Exclusive offer - Winter EscapeRestaurant - Excellent locally sourced food - the pub is consistently recognised for its high standards by the Cornish Tourist Board.Great walks - Take part in the interesting and informative foraging walks with Caroline Arkley.Surfing - Sennen Cove is the best known beach in the area, and very popular with surfers.Views - Sweeping coastal viewsRecommended by - I Escape, Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
The Cott Inn 5 rooms from £110Dartington, Devon
The picturesque Cott Inn brims with history and charm. One of England's oldest remaining thatched inn's, between the Dartmoor National Park and the spectacular South Devon coastline. The perfect country escape with a snug bar, an excellent restaurant and delightful upstairs rooms.Country Escape - The perfect country escape in a historic thatched house surrounded by lovely gardens and bordered by the Dartmoor National Park.Local exploring - Perfect for exploring the beautiful surrounding Devonshire countryside.Great walks - This area is packed with excellent walking trails and routes, ask at the bar for personal favourites.Sights nearby - History buffs will be glad to hear, Dartmouth Castle is within ten miles.
Red Lion Freehouse 5 rooms from £120Pewsey, Wiltshire
Michelin starred pub with rooms overlooking the River Avon. Food is exceptional with all ingredients either as local as possible or the best possible quality. Rooms pay great attention to detail and all have a lovely deck with river and countryside views.Views - Either of the beautiful Wiltshire countryside or the River AvonSights nearby - Just 9 miles from StonehengeFull of characterGreat walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Sawdays
The Beckford Arms 8 rooms from £95Salisbury, Wiltshire
Great new look for a favourite old inn – immaculate attention to detail will satisfy the most demanding townie. Excellent food, chic bedrooms & relaxed ambience all amid the lovely South Wiltshire countryside.Restaurant - Recommended.Fishing - Fly fishing on the Fonthill estateGreat walks - On the Fonthill EstateLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - I Escape, Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
King John Inn 8 rooms from £90Tollard Royal, Wiltshire
The King John Inn is a sophisticated country pub with exceptional meat, fish and game and stylish design. Behind its ivy covered exterior you will find stylish and urbane interiors. Idyllic English village with rambling country walks on your doorstep. A charming abode.Great walks - Rushmore Park is just five minutes away whilst Cranbourne Chase and West Wiltshire Downs are near.Sights nearby - Salisbury Cathedral, an easy drive away, is a must visit.Restrictions on children - Children older than 8 years are welcome.TraditionalRecommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
The Red Lion 17 rooms from £100Clovelly, Devon
A charming family friendly hotel overlooking Clovelly Harbour. Seventeen attractive rooms decorated in a neutral palette with splashes of blue and green to reflect the nautical feel. Cosy bar and restaurant serving up the best of day's catch. Great option for a traditional seaside holiday.Views - All rooms boast either sea or harbour viewsGreat walks - South West Coastal Path on the doorstepFull of characterSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Compasses Inn 4 rooms from £85Tisbury, Wiltshire
This 14th century inn has everything one would expect from a country stay. Exposed timber frames, thatched roof, an open fire and flagstone tiles. Rooms are in a more modern part of the property and are decorated in a traditional country style. Food is locally sourced or from the kitchen garden.Great walks - The 'Tisbury' walk can be accessed almost directly from the property.Sights nearby - The ancient site of Stonehenge is within a short drive.Full of characterSecluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
Museum Inn 8 rooms from £110Blandford Forum, Dorset
The Museum Inn is an award-winning country pub located in a picture-postcard village in rural north Dorset. Eight individually designed rooms either in the main house or converted stables feature plush decor with Bramley bathroom accessories. Plus a separate large cottage for families or groups.Foodies - Both gastropub and fine dining options at the Museum Inn offer locally sourced, wholesome food, expect game from nearby shoots.Groups - Moles cottage sleeps up to 16 and is popular with shooting parties in the season and families in the summer.Traditional - There is a period feel throughout the Museum Inn, with flagstone floors & roaring fire in the bar and antique furnishings.Fishing - Damerham Fisheries offers Trout fishing and Gorcombe Farm boasts fishing, clay pigeon shooting and archery.Recommended by - Sawdays
Grosvenor Arms 16 rooms from £100Shaftesbury, Dorset
After a makeover, this former Georgian inn in the middle of Hardy country oozes casual elegance. Retire to stylish rooms upstairs after dinner in the first-rate revamped restaurant. Great service and classy accommodation without the high price tag.Sights nearby - Walking distance to all Shaftesbury's sightsLocal markets - Good for local colour.Great walks - Good for walkers.
Acorn Inn 10 rooms from £99Dorset
The Acorn Inn oozes historic charm. Built in the 16th century from local honey coloured stone, the decor maintains much of the original features; exposed beams, oak panelling and flagstone floors are in abundance. Award winning food in the restaurant. A stylish base for exploring Hardy country.Lively - The Hardy Bar is very popular with the locals with quiz nights, skittles competitions and yard of ale drinking challengesGreat walks - Guests have access to the adjacent 600 acres Melburg Estate and Deer Park with walking and artistic opportunitiesFull of character - Each of the rooms is named after an aspect of Thomas Hardy's 'Tess of the d'Urbervilles'Sights nearby - Manor houses and their gardens are in abundance in this areaRecommended by - Sawdays
The Crown 16 rooms from £105Exford, Somerset
This 17th century former coaching inn is ideally situated for the rugged terrain of Exmoor. The surprisingly grand rooms are decorated with antique pieces like Empire style armchairs, dark woods and ornate fabrics. The restaurant, serving real ales and traditional pub grub is one of the highlights.Great walks - Exmoor has some of the most beautiful moorlands in the country, the UK's highest cliffs and rugged coastlines - take your pick!Fishing - Hidden amongst this property's 3 acre grounds is a trout stream.Full of characterTraditionalRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide
The Queen's Arms 8 rooms from £125Corton Denham, Somerset
Quintessentially English Georgian Inn nestled in the Dorset/Somerset countryside welcomes guests with winter fires, bare boards and comfortable rooms. Enjoy the Moor Queen’s on tap and extremely enjoyable food. A little country treasure, with great walks from the front door.Foodies - They rear their own pigs, sell their own eggs, as well as dry-curing and smoking their meats and fish- local, seasonal heaven!Value chic - Well priced elegant rooms with an even better priced gourmet cuisine downstairs, a real find.Sights nearby - National Trust properties close by include King Alfred Tower, Lytes Cary, Tintinhull House, Forde Abbey and Montacute House.Great walks - For a lovely long walk Macmillan and Monarch ways are close by, plus the pub will pack your lunch.Recommended by - Sawdays
The Talbot Inn 8 rooms from £95Frome, Somerset
Charming village pub run by a proven team. Friendly local feel backed up by excellent food for all ages. Bedrooms are country style with egyptian cotton and siberian goose down duvets. Chillax.Great walks - Good for walkers.TraditionalFour poster beds - For romantics.
The Devonshire Arms 9 rooms from £100Langport, Somerset
This former hunting lodge, overlooking the village green, is an intimate stay for food and nature lovers. Rooms are contemporary and light offering en suite bathrooms. The restaurant prides itself on using only the finest produce and a menu revolving around this, matched with a well-stocked bar.Country Escape - With fantastic gourmet pub food, a fine selection of booze, comfy beds and plenty of outdoor activities.Birdwatching - Witness the yearly starling murmurations, where Somerset starlings flock together over the Levels.Great walks - Get out and explore the coastal walks all along the Somerset Levels.Lively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Sawdays
The Swan 7 rooms from £85Wedmore, Somerset
A gourmet little pub in a charming village with gorgeous rooms. Luxurious rooms have enormous stand alone bath tubs, contemporary furnishings and DVD players. Fabulous restaurant and acclaimed chef. The perfect spot for a romantic jaunt in the Somerset countryside.Foodies - Fantastic food from River Cottage's Tom Blake.Value chicSights nearby - The medieval cathedral in Wells.Great walks - Mendip Hills to the north.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
Red Lion Inn 6 rooms from £90Babcary, Somerset
Traditional thatched country pub in the heart of Somerset. Six individually designed rooms with super comfy beds, smart linen and toiletries. Award winning food with daily changing menus. Great location for exploring the area and just 50 mins from Bath. Perfect for a country escape.Sights nearby - Great base for exploring the surrounds including Glastonbury Tor and Lytes Cary Manor. Only 50 mins from Bath.Full of characterLocal markets - Good for local colour.Great walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Sawdays
The White Hart 7 rooms from £71Somerton, Somerset
A charming gastro pub with impeccably decorated rooms and fantastic food. Rooms and one suite attractively furnished with lots of natural light and luxurious bedding. Lovely dining area and bar, big garden, lots to do in the surrounds. Ideal for couples or families.Sights nearby - Glastonbury Abbey.Fishing - Viaduct fishery.TraditionalRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith