14 Best Hotels for the Kentucky Bourbon Trail
Just as a wine’s flavour is influenced by where it’s grown, bourbon takes on a different character and flavour based on where it’s produced and distilled. And the Kentucky Bourbon Trail is designed to show off the best of Kentucky’s bourbon whiskey. The number of distilleries included on the trail route is in flux, and there’s now an offshoot trail called the ‘Craft Tour’, where small, artisanal distilleries are included - but let’s just say you need to imbibe quite a bit of bourbon to get through the trail. The distilleries of the Kentucky Bourbon Trail are spread widely, but places like Louisville, Lawrenceburg, Lexington, Shelbyville and Bardstown, have multiple distilleries, so obvious destinations to include in any trail planning. We've scoured the region and selected the best hotels for the Kentucky Bourbon Trail, based not only only on their location, but also their style, service and amenities. This means that you can choose from chic city pads, to grand luxury hotels and rustic country B&Bs — there's a property for all tastes and budgets!
For the Album
- The Kentucky Castle is a new-build castle hotel set on 55 acres of farmland, just outside Lexington. It’s suitably impressive, and more castle-like than many much more authentic castles, with turrets, towers and battlements, but all the plumbing built in, and great wifi. The 14 rooms and suites are enormous, and decorated with contemporary style in lots of white, and nicely chosen antiques. There spa has its own cottage, complete with cryotherapy chamber. The restaurant uses produce farmed onsite, including their own truffles and grapes and mushrooms.
- Maple Hill Manor is a Greek Revival antebellum mansion turned seven room inn. It’s grand, and elegant, with huge windows, fancy antique beds and fireplaces in all seven rooms. There’s a wide porch and mature gardens, complete with swings and hammocks. Plus an alpaca and llama farm, and a farm shop. There’s no restaurant, but they offer a gourmet breakfast, homemade deserts and 24hour drinks list. Historic and romantic. It's located in Springfield right on the Bourbon Trail.
- With just four rooms, the Charred Oaks Inn is one of the smallest properties on our list of the best hotels for the Kentucky Bourbon Trail. It’s also very charming, and well positioned in delightful Versailles, Lexington — which is close to the Woodford Reserve Distillery, Wild Turkey and Four Roses. The guestrooms and public spaces are decorated with antiques, and cheerful fabrics, and they serve a delicious, hearty breakfast.
- The Seelbach is one of Louisville’s historic landmark hotels, a grand and glorious building in the centre of town, with more than three hundred rooms and suites. These historic hotels are known for their grand lobbies and public spaces, and The Seelbach has a wonderful collection which includes a fine dining restaurant and a breakfast room, and a traditional Kentucky bar with a fantastic list of cocktails — and lots of bourbon. Bring your pets and children.
- A Storybook Inn is a small, luxury inn in the historic Versailles region of Lexington. With its white facade and lush gardens, it looks every bit a storybook from the outside, and the inside is the same, with its seven rooms and suites littered with charming art and antiques. There’s a pool in the garden, and a farm-to-table breakfast is served in a light conservatory. Homely, but elegant.
- The Hotel Distil is on Whiskey Row, Louisville, overlooking the Ohio River and right next door to a distillery. Its 205 rooms and suites are cool and contemporary, with an industrial edge that really suits the fantastic city and river views. The fabulous roof terrace bar and restaurant is one of few in the area, and it’s a trendy place to visit, and sip bourbon. Even if you don’t stay in this hotel, this is an historic spot, and all of Whiskey Row comes alive of an evening.
- Housed in the historic Fayette National Bank Building, 21c Museum Hotel, Lexington is a contemporary art museum and hotel — with plenty of original art in both. The 88 rooms and suites are simply decorated in contemporary, white style, with splashes of bright colour, and art. The restaurant specialises in local ingredients, and offers in-room dining until midnight, and there’s a super chic bourbon bar.
For Historic Charm
- Dupont Mansion is an elegant, historic mansion in “Old Louisville”, which has been carefully converted into a seven room B&B, run by considerate owners. The rooms are all large and individually decorated with antiques, plus they feature fireplaces and huge whirlpool tubs. The public areas are charming and welcoming, and include a lounge, library, dining room, and large garden. Surrounding the Dupont Mansion are the many, many properties making up the second largest Historic Preservation District n the U.S..
- The Louisville Bourbon Inn is a grand Victorian mansion, also in “Old Louisville”, converted by the owners into an elegant B&B. Period decor adds to the historic charm, and there are plenty of open fireplaces around which to arrange beautiful antiques. Some of the eight rooms also have private balconies and whirlpool tubs. A bourbon-inspired breakfast is served in the smart dining room.
- The Montgomery Inn B&B is an historic, 11 room inn in Lexington. Welcoming owners are a font of knowledge about the local area, and its bourbon, and the comfortable public spaces, including a library, parlour, porch, and railway-themed breakfast room, provide a warm, relaxed atmosphere. A gourmet Southern breakfast is included, and they offer refreshments all day.
For Great Value
- Moxy Louisville Downtown is a fun, affordable hotel on Whiskey Row, downtown Louisville, close enough to the river so that some rooms have river views. In addition to 110 rooms and suites, the Louisville Moxy has a hip bar with a cool glassed-in fire and plenty of bourbon, plus a chilled lounge, a gym, workspace, and a 24 hour restaurant called Zombie Taco.
- Lexington’s Origin Hotel is big, trendy and well located. Its 120 rooms and suites are well proportioned, with big beds and spacious bathrooms. Downstairs there’s a fantastic bourbon bar and Southern comfort food restaurant. As well as the Bourbon Trail, Origin is great for the racehorse scene, and bluegrass lovers. And it’s a good pick for parents and pet owners too.
- Bourbon Manor B&B is a grand and historic inn in pretty Bardstown, known for its bourbon and hundreds of historic buildings. The huge windows of the manor’s ten guest rooms — all named after drinks — look out onto leafy, mature gardens, and inside there are period antiques and original features in spades. There’s also a day spa, and a list of bourbon related tasting tours, outings and recommendations. And while there isn’t a restaurant onsite they do offer breakfast.
- The Chateau Bourbon is a four bedroom B&B in a vibrant part of Louisville. The decor is romantic, there are huge, decorative beds, whirlpool baths and open fireplaces, plus pillars on the outside of the building, and an elegantly comfortable sitting room. Breakfast is a three course, Southern-style affair, including homemade bourbon granola. And they offer bourbon tastings onsite.
Still not sure where to book?
- You could browse our recommendations for all the best places to stay in Kentucky
- Or refine your search to the best places to stay in Louisville or the best places to stay in Lexington
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Bourbon Manor B&B Bardstown, Kentucky 10 rooms from £161Local exploring - Offering a perfect central location for Bourbon Country excursionsSights nearby - Wander through the pretty downtown area of Bardstown, home to over 200 historical buildingsRestrictions on children - Children cannot be accommodated unless it involves a cottage or full property rentalSpa - The property's day spa has a range of massages, accupressure, and reflexology
A historic inn set in beautiful mature gardens within pretty Bardstown. Bourbon inspired, each room is named after one of the drinks. Interiors are beautifully maintained with period antiques, fireplaces, and heavy-set antiques. Complete with a spa, this is an indulgent base for local exploring. See More
Chateau Bourbon Louisville 4 rooms from £202Sights nearby - Visit Kentucky Kingdom a seasonal amusement & water park with both thrill & children's rides, plus waterslides & wave poolsGreat walks - Walk around Cherokee Park's with a 2.4-mile Scenic LoopRestrictions on children - Children over 6 are welcomeWhirlpool Bathtub
An upscale B&B in the heart of the vibrant area of Norton Commons, Louisville. Rooms are elegant, some with four-poster beds, fireplaces and whirlpool tubs. Enjoy all things bourbon with on-site tastings while at breakfast sample homemade bourbon granola! Simple, impeccable, Southern-hospitality. See More
The Seelbach Louisville 308 rooms from £147Local exploring - The downtown location means that some of the city's best museums, theatres, shops, restaurants and nightlife are nearbyRestaurant - Three dining options include a breakfast room, a traditional Kentucky bar serving regional cuisine, and StarbucksFull of characterTraditional
A landmark historic hotel set in downtown Louisville. Traditionally styled rooms keep their original features and are filled with antiques. A range of dining and drinking venues offer casual dining, fine dining, and standout cocktails. An atmospheric and well-positioned stay. See More
Hotel Distil Louisville 205 rooms from £137Business meetings - Spaces include a grand ballroom, meeting rooms, and private dining, plus it's only 10 mins walk to Kentucky Convention CenterCity Style - Perfect base to dip into the infamous prohibition past with all the conveniences and comforts of the presentRestaurant - Head to Repeal for atmospheric steakhouse with popular wrap-around bar; it takes inspiration from the prohibition eraSights nearby - Watch the races at nearby Churchill Downs, home of the famous Kentucky Derby
Luxury hotel on famous Whiskey Row with a rich past and historic facade. Contemporary rooms feel warm and welcoming with sleek industrial touches and fab river views. Indulge in glam dining at the steak restaurant or enjoy a bourbon or two on the stylish rooftop bar and terrace. City-centre cool. See More
21c Museum Hotel, Lexington Lexington (KY) 88 rooms from £124Artworks - Original art work in rooms and interesting installations in the barRestaurant - In-room dining till 12 midnightViews - Great views from hotelFull of character
An inspiring, contemporary art museum come boutique hotel in the historic Fayette National Bank Building. White on white rooms with contemporary furnishings, splashes of pop colours and original art on the walls. Restaurant championing local Bluegrass ingredients. Lively and super-artsy. See More
Moxy Louisville Downtown Louisville 110 rooms from £138Business Centre - In addition to a high-tech working space, rooms have been designed for work; enjoy LED TV, USB outlets & super fast free Wi-FiBusiness meetings - In addition to 11,000 ft of function space, you're next to KFC Yum! Center & two blocks from Kentucky Intl Convention CenterBar - The heart of the hotel. Check-in (with complimentary cocktail), meet friends, enjoy craft beers and small sharing platesLocal exploring - Fab central location on Whiskey Row means that sites, night life, dining, museums, parks and shopping surrounds you
Downtown boutique-style hotel offering a fun, affordable & well-located stay. Cleverly designed rooms with river views offer what you need for both work & leisure. A happening bar, lounge & workspace provide endless opportunities for mingling, as do the haunts of Whiskey Row. A hip modern choice. See More
Origin Hotel Lexington 120 rooms from £101Local exploring - Fantastic location for exploring the racehorsing scene and enjoying the best bourbonsRestaurant - A modern Southern-inspired restaurant offering seasonal menusSights nearby - Horse Country Farm Tours
A trendy hotel, well located in Lexington for exploring local sights. Comfortable and stylish rooms offer huge beds with luxury linens and spacious bathrooms. Enjoy delicious Southern comfort food, craft cocktails and curated bourbons lists at the restaurant. An exquisite stay! See More
Maple Hill Manor Springfield, Kentucky 7 rooms from £137Romantic Break - McElroy room - known as the honeymoon hideaway - is a romantic choice with a spa bath, sunset deck and atmospheric fireplaceLocal exploring - Ideally located amongst four major tourism trails; learn more about bourbon, wine, Abhraham Lincoln and Civil War historyRiding - For horse enthusiasts the area offers riding stables, thoroughbred horse farms, racing and Kentucky Derby Museum nearbyCountry Escape - Enjoy farm tours, visit wineries or go hiking, cycling and kayaking in the surrounding countryside
Award-winning Greek Revival antebellum inn surrounded by acres of farmland. Traditional rooms with impressive period decor look out over mature gardens with hammocks, a swing and patio. The property boasts an alpaca and llama farm, a nature reserve, vineyard and farm shop. Authentic historic charm. See More
Dupont Mansion Louisville 7 rooms from £153Local exploring - The historic local neighbourhood - “Old Louisville” - is the country's second-largest National Historic Preservation DistrictRomantic Break - Be transported back into the past with a stay in the Hattie Bishop Speed Room; the four poster bed is to die forWeddings - Offers a range of affordable packages for sophisticated weddings of all sizes; from elopments to formal affairsSights nearby - The owners can help organise a fantastic Bourbon Country Tour featuring an 8-hour tour of three local Bourbon Distilleries
Elegant historical mansion turned into a sophisticated owner-run B&B. Opulent suites decorated in Victorian style boast four-poster beds, fireplaces & gigantic whirlpool tubs. There's a library, lounge & large garden for relaxing after breakfast in the dining room. A charming base to explore from. See More
Louisville Bourbon Inn Louisville 8 rooms from £161Local exploring - Well located to explore both the neighbourhood's rich array of historic buildings and the city's top sitesSights nearby - Take a guided tour of Old Louisville - the neighbourhood is America's second largest National Historic Preservation DistrictWhirlpool Bathtub - Most rooms come with jetted tubs, some are oversized and ideal for couplesViews - Certain rooms overlook the city's Central Park
Grand Victorian mansion turned into an elegant owner-run B&B. Rooms have been decorated in line with the building's origins; think ornamental fireplaces and antique furnishings - many have jetted tubs and balconies. A bourbon-inspired breakfast is served in a smart dining room. Historic city haven. See More
Montgomery Inn B&B Lexington 11 rooms from £154Whirlpool Bathtub - Every rooms comes with a spa bath with the exception of The Sleeping Car; certain feature romantic heart-shaped tubs for twoLocal exploring - Welcoming base with a historic feel that's an ideal base for sightseeing and exploring the areaKayaking - One of the most scenic ways to enjoy the Kentucky River Palisade is by kayakFull of character
Historic B&B run by welcoming owners. In addition to a railway-themed breakfast room, guests can relax in the library, parlour & media room. A series of unique and colourful rooms, with an eclectic take on traditional decor boast spa baths and fireplaces. Delivers a stay filled with Southern charm. See More
A Storybook Inn Lexington 7 rooms from £226Local exploring - The inn is the perfect base as it is closely located to all of Versailles and Lexington's attractionsNo restaurant - A farm-to-table breakfast is includedWhirlpool BathtubSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
A luxurious boutique inn set in historic Versailles. Rooms are spacious and stylish with antique furnishings, whirlpool tubs and walk-in rain showers. Enjoy a farm-to-table breakfast with fresh ground organic coffee. Take a dip in the pool and relax in the garden. A homely base to explore from. See More
Charred Oaks Inn Lexington 4 rooms from £179Local exploring - Great location for exploring the famed horse attractions of LexingtonViews - Terrace and garden viewsFour poster beds - For romantics.Adult Only
A small, charming Southern colonial-style B&B in Versailles, only minutes away from Keeneland racecourse. Large, spacious and floral rooms feature magnificent king four-poster beds and antique furnishings. Delicious and hearty breakfasts are served. A tranquil and homely base. See More
The Kentucky Castle Versailles, Kentucky 14 rooms from £207Country Escape - Set in 55 acres and offering everything on-site from indulgent dining, walking trails, & a pool — perfect for a rural unwindFoodies - Much of the produce comes from the grounds which include a vineyard, truffle orchard, and gourmet mushroom garden!Weddings - The grounds, a music room, ball room, and roof terrace give endless choice for stunning wedding backdropsSpa - A spa located in a cottage offers a cryotherapy chamber, sauna, massage and body treatments, facials, waxing and aesthetics
An imposing castle set in 55 acres of farmland and estate. Interiors have been beautifully renovated to create a clean modern feel with a traditional aesthetic. Rooms & suites are enormous and filled with antiques. With true farm-to-table dining and a cottage-based spa, this is a luxe rural break. See More