Search the best hotels in Carcassonne
The stuff of fairytales, the medieval walled town of Carcassonne is an Aude icon. With fortified ramparts surrounding 53 towers, ancient stone buildings and winding cobbled lanes set atop a hill encircled by vineyards, this is a magical spot. Carcassonne’s beauty and fame mean that it attracts crowds from within France and further afield, so there’s an excellent choice of accommodation options for a range of tastes and budgets. Whilst many of the best places to stay in Carcassonne are set close to the medieval city itself, some of our favourite hideaways stud the nearby countryside, offering the best of both worlds.
Rise early to stroll around the UNESCO-protected Cité de Carcassonne, admiring ivy-clad stone houses, some with half-timbered exteriors, tiny windows and asymmetrical doorways. The city has a rich history, and guided tours are a brilliant way to delve into Carcassonne’s past. Visit the Basilica of Saints Nazaire, the Counts’ Castle and other highlights before venturing to the lively lower town, where you’ll find the market hall, Place Carnot and the idyllic Canal du Midi.
Venture beyond the city for tours and tastings at superb vineyards, to amble through little villages and to swim or pedalo on the Lac de la Cavayère. Hiking, mountain biking, horse riding, kayaking and barge trips are also wonderful opportunities to see the area. Return to the best places to stay in Carcassonne to savour delicious regional cuisine and to cool down in the pool. Do be aware that these top spots fill up fast during the summer months!
The Best Places to Stay in Carcassonne
- Hôtel du Château sits alongside the ramparts of medieval Carcassonne. A historic façade gives way to more contemporary interiors bedecked with rich textiles, indulgent bathrooms, a superb spa and a very swish swimming pool area. For design-conscious couples, in a top location.
- Les Chambres d'Aimé offers a stylish stay for grown-ups in a 19th-century stone house in central Carcassonne. Tuck in to generous breakfasts, unwind on the terrace or soak up the sun by the pool before retreating to one of five well-proportioned rooms. A couples' favourite.
- Hôtel Pont Levis is renowned chef Franck Putelat's second hotel, offering 12 sleek, modern rooms — some with private terraces and hot tubs — in an 18th-century bastide close to the Narbonne Gate. A luxurious choice for romantics and fans of smart design. There's also a swimming pool.
For Families or Groups
- B&B Demeure Saint Louis is an 18th-century guesthouse just outside the medieval city. As well as having five B&B rooms, the building boasts five expansive apartments — some with contemporary furnishings, others with classic antiques — providing space for 4 to 10 guests. Ideal for a group or family holiday, with the benefit of superb city views and well-equipped kitchens.
- Le Château de Palaja has simple, white-on-white rooms and suites within a historic mansion in the lovely village of Palaja. With family suites, a swimming pool, extensive gardens, table tennis, pétanque and bikes for hire, this is a brilliant family or group holiday choice. There are hiking, horse riding and biking trails in the area.
- Le Parc Hôtel is a swish, seven-guestroom property just outside the medieval city. Think sliding glass doors leading to private terraces, big beds and inviting seating areas. The highlight is the two Michelin-starred La Table de Franck Putelat, where the chef seeks the true essence of his ingredients through creative set menus, such as 'Emotion' and 'Action Reaction'. Very sophisticated.
- Le Domaine d'Auriac offers an immensely luxurious stay, minutes from the city. Elegant rooms and suites feature high ceilings and classic interiors. The golf course is fabulous, but the real foodie draw is the Michelin-starred Bernard Rigaudis Restaurant, where Chef Philippe Deschamps serves mounth-watering regional dishes in a traditional setting. Try the 'Grand Menu de Saison'.
- Hôtel de la Cité is an enchanting neo-Gothic property, tucked within the medieval ramparts. Feast on chef Jérôme Ryon's gourmet, Michelin-starred cuisine in the Barbacane Restaurant, marvel at the views from the terrace, and retreat to sumptuous rooms and suites. Gorgeous.
For a Rural Escape
- Château de Cavanac promises an idyllic, ivy-cloaked rural retreat, with traditional guestrooms featuring floral prints and big, garden-facing windows. With a pool, tennis court and traditional restaurant, this is a restful countryside choice.
- Domaine Michaud is an elegant, family-run B&B with soothing cream and white rooms, an inviting dining room for big breakfasts, and events spaces for intimate weddings. The garden boasts a pool, hot tub and stunning views of Carcassonne and the mountains. Very intimate.
- La Bastide Saint Martin has 15 rooms with stone floors and cosy beds in a pretty sandstone country house with blue shutters. The swimming pool, large gardens and restaurant are great, and the feel is low-key and relaxed. A charming escape for couples, friends or families.
For Great Value
- Ecuries de Sainte Croix is a rustic stone farmhouse with two rooms and three self-catering cottages. Expect simple furnishings, garden access, hearty breakfasts and a laid-back feel. Affordable and owner-run, perfect for quiet couples or keen hikers.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY Villa
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Carcassonne Airport, just outside the city, and continue your journey by car or bus. Visitors from regional hubs — such as Paris, Toulouse, Lyon, Dijon or Marseille — can easily travel to Carcassonne by high-speed train.
- Aude is wonderful for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Visit between May and September for temperatures ranging from 21°C - 30°C, but do be aware that this is also peak season and the city gets very busy. For fewer crowds, great hotel deals and cooler temperatures, travel in April or October.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Narbonne.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Aude.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Carcassonne
Best Hotels in Carcassonne
Ecuries de sainte Croix Carcassonne 3 rooms from AU$122Value chicFamiliesGroupsSights nearby - Just outside Carcassonne. Great base for discovering the region
A gorgeously rustic stone farmhouse B&B just outside Carcassonne. The perfect spot for a more relaxed holiday for families, groups of friends, or romantic getaways. Three simple rooms and two cottages. Very charming. See More
Chateau de Cavanac Carcassonne (Languedoc Roussillon) 27 rooms from AU$124FamiliesFoodiesSights nearby - Ideal base for exploring CarcassonneRestaurant - Serves local specialitiesRecommended by - Sawdays
Stunning ivy covered country house with an excellent restaurant. Bedrooms, suites and family rooms with four poster beds, fireplaces and tapestries. Beautiful grounds and terraces, swimming pool, billiards and a tennis court. Great for families, groups, and foodies. Excellent value. See More
La Bastide Saint Martin Carcassonne (Avenue de Saint-Martin) 15 rooms from AU$139FamiliesSwimming Pool - 12x6 outdoor poolLocal markets - Good for local colour.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.
A pretty sandstone country house with blue shutters. Rustic rooms and family suites with stone floors, wooden beds, and doors that lead into the garden. A luxurious swimming pool and sun deck for lounging. Ideal relaxation for families, groups, or couples. See More
Les Chambres d'Aime Carcassonne 5 rooms from AU$165Local exploring - The house is located in the heart of downtown Carcassonne, ideal for exploring its cultural sights, bars and restaurantsSights nearby - Visit the nearby Saint Michel Cathedral and Place Carnot, and opposite the house is the Maison du SénéchalSwimming Pool - Seasonal outdoor poolRestrictions on children - Adults onlyRecommended by - Sawdays
A large 19th century stone house in the historic centre of Carcassonne. The charming hosts provide a generous breakfast and there is a relaxing terrace and pool area for lounging about in the sun. Tasteful rooms have whitewashed walls, antiques and large sash windows. A stylish base. See More
Chateau de Palaja Carcassonne (Palaja) 12 rooms from AU$196FamiliesSights nearby - Just five minutes from the centre of CarcassonneRestaurant - At the chateau but run independentlySwimming Pool - Outdoor Pool
A beautiful white stone castle with a house party feel. Simple, modern rooms and suites with wooden beamed ceilings and white washed walls. Great restaurant, extensive gardens with a swimming pool, and a spa. A great choice for families or groups of friends. See More
Domaine Michaud Carcassonne (Roullens) 6 rooms from AU$212Total relaxation - With a tranquil rural location offering a pool and hot tub all nestled in beautiful rugged landscapes perfect for relaxationGroups - The hotel owners offer exclusive use of their property for corporate events, private parties and weddingsLocal exploring - Languedoc-Roussillon possesses a wealth of historical and cultural gemsSights nearby - Visit the famed medieval city of Carcassonne, a UNESCO-listed heritage site of stunning beautyRecommended by - Sawdays
This pleasant B&B is nestled in beautiful French countryside offering views of Carcassonne and the Pyrenees. The charming rooms feature antique wood furnishings, exposed beams and old-stone walls. Offering a continental breakfast and a pool and hot tub set in the quaint garden. A beautiful location. See More
B&B Demeure Saint Louis Carcassonne 5 rooms from AU$212Local exploring - Only a ten minute walk from the ancient walls of Carcassonne's medieval centre.Total relaxation - Enjoy the stunning garden or take a long walk around the ancient citadel.Full of characterTraditional
A stunning 18th century guesthouse, just outside the medieval city of Carcassonne. The spacious and comfortable rooms are traditionally decorated and boast en suite bathrooms. Enjoy breakfast in the elegant dining room, or in the leafy garden- perfect for sitting out and enjoying the weather. See More
Hotel du Chateau Carcassonne 16 rooms from AU$310Sights nearby - Located next to the chateau in central Carcassonne. Walking distance to all the major attractions in the city.Swimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolLocal markets - Good for local colour.Short breakRecommended by - Michelin Travel
Medieval exteriors and contemporary interiors at this chic hotel within the castle's ramparts. Rooms and suites with vaulted ceilings, exposed stone, and rich silk fabrics. Enjoy indulgent pampering from the spa, and relax on the terraces or by the swimming pool. See More
Hotel de la Cite Carcassonne 61 rooms from AU$336Outstanding location - Atop the medieval walls of Carcassonne.Foodies - Michelin star.LuxuryRomantic BreakRecommended by - Tablet
Utterly romantic, utterly unique. A hotel nestled in the ramparts of Carcassonne's citadel and surrounded by beautiful gardens. A fairytale building with turrets, exquisite bedrooms, a Michelin star restaurant, and a swimming pool. A special spot for anyone who can afford it. See More
Le Parc Hotel, Carcassonne Carcassonne 7 rooms from AU$391Foodies - Housing a two star Michelin restaurant which offers innovative modern French cuisine.Sights nearby - Visit the Chateau Comtal, an expansive castle dating back to the 12th century.Restaurant with roomsRomantic - Good for couples.
A contemporary hotel located just outside the medieval city of Carcassonne. Chic accommodation offers expansive glass sliding doors leading onto a private terrace and garden along with every modern luxury. The restaurant is the real star of the show however, boasting two Michelin stars. See More
Pont Levis Hotel Carcassonne 12 rooms from AU$359Active Holiday - Carcassonne lies on the Cathar Castle trail which afford plenty of hiking possibilities around the surrounding countrysideCity Style - Carcassonne is a vibrant cultural hub and the hotel is placed at the center of this ancient city's contemporary lifestyleLocal exploring - Within 50m's of La Porte Narbonnaise and commanding views of Carcassone's historic old town, a UNESCO siteGreat walks - Carcassonne lies on the Cathar Castle Trail that affords great hiking trails and spectacular medieval castles
Previously an inn and museum, this slick hotel overlooks the fortified walls of Carcassonne and fits into the city's ancient heritage. The rooms have an edgy modern decor and come with en suite bathrooms. There is an outdoor pool and buffet breakfast served daily. Perfect for visiting Carcassonne. See More
Le Domaine d'Auriac Carcassonne 24 rooms from AU$447Foodies - Housing the Bernard Rigaudis Restaurant which holds a Michelin star and serves undeniably fantastic regional cuisine.Golf - Play a round on the hotel's own 18 hole course.Great walks - Explore the surrounding vineyards on long walks starting straight from the property.Sights nearby - Visit the Chateau Comtral dating back to the 12th century.
A luxury hotel set in a tranquil spot just minutes from the medieval city of Carcassonne. Elegant rooms are classical in style with floor to ceiling windows, floral motifs, high ceilings and antiques. Boasting both a golf course and a Michelin starred restaurant, this is an indulgent break. See More