L'Isle sur La Sorgue
Search the best hotels in L'Isle sur La Sorgue
About L'Isle sur La Sorgue
L’Isle sur la Sorgue, 25 kilometres South East of Avignon, lies at the foot of the Vaucluse plateau on the River Sorgue and has been called the ‘Venice of the Comtat’ due to its network of canals. The best places to stay in L’Isle sur la Sorgue are right in the centre of town where you can soak up its charming atmosphere.
Historically, the town’s economy was based around fishing and milling, and as a result of this there are still many picturesque working mills all along the river.
Nowadays, L’Isle sur la Sorgue is most renowned for its arts and antiques. Indeed it's the most important centre for the antique trade in France after Paris. The town is full of shops and galleries, and there's an antique market every Sunday (this market has been in existence since 1596) with over 300 stalls - for bargain hunters, it's not to be missed. For more serious dealers there is a large International Antiques Fair twice a year (at Easter and during August).
What not to miss
- La Collegiale Notre Dame des Anges, the town's church, is a Baroque masterpiece that's bound to impress.
- Culture-vultures will enjoy spending an afternoon at the Fondation Villa Datris. Have a wander around their most recent collections (with a special emphasis on sculpture and textile art) before enjoying a walk in the lovely gardens.
- A visit (or two) to the bustling local market, which takes place on Thursdays and Sundays, is an absolute must.
Don't forget that the town will be busy during the summer months and especially when the International Antiques Fair is on. So if you want to be sure of a room in one of the best places to stay in L'Isle sur la Sorgue during those periods we recommend you book well in advance!
The best places to stay in L'Isle sur la Sorgue
La Prevote, an intimate, five bedroomed, bed and breakfast was once a seventeenth-century convent. The rooms are tasteful with period furniture and soft furnishings, and there's a restaurant serving gourmet French and Mediterranean cuisine in the courtyard.
B&B Artishow is a renovated 15th-century townhouse that's bound to impress. Their individually-decorated rooms and quirky and stylish, whilst there's also a pool and a hot tub to enjoy.
- La Maison sur la Sorgue is a former eighteenth century mansion turned boutique ‘maison d’hote’. It has four large tasteful rooms furnished with antiques and all ensuite. Plus there's a lovely garden and pool.
Sophisticated French style
- Grand Hotel Henri is a historic building in the centre of town. Rooms ooze French chic style and there's a gourmet restaurant serving seasonal Provencal dishes.
Just out of town
- Le Mas des Gres is just 6.5km from the town. It's a lovely converted farmhouse with rustic-chic interiors an outdoor pool for lounging, and wonderful French cuisine.
- Hotel du Poete has been created from one of the former mills along the river. The rooms and suites are traditionally elegant and there's a lovely riverside pool and terrace.
- Slightly further away to the north we'd recommend Chateau la Roque. With stunning views, luxurious rooms and suites and delicious table d'hote dinners, it's the perfect, intimate rural stay.
For an apartment, holiday home, or villa
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- You can fly into either Avignon Airport or Marseille Airport before taking a train across to L'Isle sur la Sorgue.
- Weather-wise, L'Isle sur la Sorgue is at its nicest in July and August when the average temperature reaches 20°C.
- If you'd like to explore more of the surrounding area then consider hiring a car with Rentalcars.
Nothing here for you?
Best Hotels in L'Isle sur La Sorgue
Le Mas des Gres L'Isle sur La Sorgue (Provence) 14 rooms from AU$155Cooking classes - Available for adults and childrenSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolGreat walks - Good for walkers.Fishing - Excellent fishing nearby.Recommended by - Sawdays
Hotel du Poete L'Isle sur La Sorgue (Fontaine de Vaucluse) 24 rooms from AU$160Full of character - Each room draws its inspiration from one of the musesGreat walks - Explore the beautiful lavender covered countrysideKayaking - 1km awaySecluded setting - For escaping.
Nestled in an enchanting village this former water mill is a delightful hotel. It has a wonderfully intimate feel and the elegant, sophisticated rooms have a traditional Provençal ambiance. Listen to the river in the lovely garden, by the pool or in the jacuzzi and bask in the rare true tranquility See More
Grand Hotel Henri L'Isle sur La Sorgue (1 Cours René Char) 17 rooms from AU$194Romantic Break - An enchanting and romantic spot, with sumptuous suites, elegant interiors, great food and pampering service.Foodies - The on site restaurant has gained critical acclaim for its fine French cuisine.Sights nearby - The Thouzon's Cave is a must for anyone interested in the history of the area.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
An historic hotel located in the centre of L'Isle sur la Sorgue, oozing timeless elegance and sophistication. The rooms epitomise French chic - decorated in soft colours, chandeliers and antique furnishings. The courtyard restaurant is brought to you by Michelin starred Chef Pascal Gin. See More
La Prevote L'Isle sur La Sorgue 5 rooms from AU$245Local exploring - From outdoor persuits to antique shops located down cobbled streets - a charming stayFoodies - Sample gastronomic French and Mediterranean cuisineLocal markets - Browse the picturesque antique fairs of L'isle sur la Sorgue.Sights nearby - Stalagtites and Stalagmites in Thouzon's cave.
An intimate B&B set in an old 17th century convent. Its tastefully decorated rooms feature unique period furniture and soft furnishings. In the evening, sit out in courtyard and enjoy a gastronomic dinner. Perfectly placed to explore the quaint beauty of Isle-sur-la-Sorgue. See More
Chateau La Roque L'Isle sur La Sorgue 5 rooms from AU$293Outstanding location - Set between the most famous vineyards of the Southern Rhône Valley (Chateauneuf du Pape, Gigondas, Vaqueras, Ventoux, Luberon).Views - Stunning views over vineyards and laveder fields.Romantic Break - A stunning setting and a luxurious chateau.LuxuryRecommended by - Sawdays
A stunning chateau in in the heart of the most famous Southern Rhône Valley vineyards. Panoramic views over valleys and lavender fields, luxurious creamy rooms and suites, large pools to swim in and a fabulous table d'hote to return to after a days wine tasting. Very romantic. See More
B&B Artishow L'Isle sur La Sorgue (Isle-sur-la-Sorgue) 5 rooms from AU$408Romantic Break - Sip on a drink in the rooftop hot tub while you soak up the panoramic views- utter bliss!Local exploring - Explore the gorgeous town of Isle de la Sorgue and take long walks alongside its canals.Local markets - Check out the nearby market, the largest outdoor market in the Luberon area!Swimming Pool - Both an indoor and an outdoor pool!
La Maison sur la Sorgue L'Isle sur La Sorgue 4 rooms from AU$456Local markets - There is a world renowned Sunday Antiques Market.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool in courtyardFull of characterTraditionalRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
An 18th century mansion turned boutique hotel, in picturesque L'Isle sur la Sorgue. The four large, tasteful suites come with antique furnishings, chic en suites, a lovely garden and pool. The breakfast is divine and can be taken in bed listening to the birds chirp, true heaven. See More