Search the best hotels in Kavala
Lots of visitors pass through Kavala on their way to the other islands in the Northern Aegean. On seeing Kavala's palm trees, charming old town and beautiful Byzantine fortress, many probably wish they were going to spend more of their holiday in one of the best places to stay in Kavala.
Kavala is a city - a local capital even - but still a beautiful place rising like an amphitheatre around a sparkling harbour. Though it might not appear on your 'bucket list', Kavala is a great base for exploring the little-visited eastern side of the Greek mainland, nearby Thassos island and the rest of the Northeastern Aegean islands. If you're looking for the real Greece - sometimes in Ottoman clothing - then you'll find it in Kavala.
The old town, with its narrow, cobbled alleys and tiny squares lined with atmospheric cafes is on the eastern side of Kavala. While the western side has squares which sprawl, surrounded by modern architecture and shopping arcades. The harbour and waterfront are the other part of town. This area has more cafes, more palm trees and rows of little fishing boats.
As well as the Byzantine castle, it's worth visiting the Kamares which is the name of the 16th Century aqueduct, the Turkish Imaret - a building with no less than 18 domes overlooking the harbour - and the archaeological museum.
It is hard not to find yourself fascinated with the history of Kavala and when this mood hits you'll know it's a good time to take a stroll along the old city walls.
What not to miss:
- Visit the ancient city of Philippi, an important archaeological site in Eastern Macedonia.
- Take a tour of the Castle of Kavala, known to date back to the 5th century BC.
- Marvel at the Kamares Aquaduct built in 1550 by Suleiman the Magnificent.
- The Archaeological Museum of Kavala makes a fascinating stop.
- Take a day trip to the paradise Island Of Thassos.
In order to secure a room at one of the best places to stay in Kavala be sure to plan ahead as properties can get booked up quickly.
The best places to stay in Kavala
- Imaret is a local institution, a magnificent five star hotel originally built in 1817 by the Imaret of Mohamed Ali Pasha. The entire hotel is like a museum to the opulence of the Ottoman age with every room and suite lavishly decorated as a fantasy from the 1001 Arabian Nights. It is easily one of the best places to stay in Kavala if you like your luxury with added character.
For an apartment or villa
- If you're travelling with family or a group of friends it may be a better option to book a villa or apartment. For a wide range of properties for all tastes and budgets we recommend you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to the "Alexander the Great" airport, located about 30 km east of Kavala. There is also a major port with numerous ferries connecting to several north Aegean islands.
- Travel between the months of April - September for warm days when temperatures range between 22? - 31? with the hottest month being August.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Kavala
Anthemion House Kavala 7 rooms from AU$106Local exploring - This hotel's location makes it the perfect base for local exploring in the city; start at the neighbouring Aqueduct monumentCity Style - Set in a beautifully restored heritage property in central Kavala, this hotel has lots of local city charmRomantic Break - The beautifully appointed suites at this hotel make an elegant backdrop for a romantic break on the coastSights nearby - Start your sightseeing at The Aqueduct of Kavala, popularly known as the Kamares, situated next to the hotel
Situated next to the landmark Aqueduct monument, this hotel offers a sophisticated stay in Kavala. The property's neoclassical facade gives way to elegant, contemporary apartments with custom-made furniture and unique design pieces. Enjoy a refreshing Greek breakfast before you set out sightseeing. See More
Imaret Kavala 26 rooms from AU$424Spa - A wide range of hamam, massages, baths and facials are on offer.Full of characterLocal markets - Good for local colour.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - I Escape, Kiwi Collection, Small Luxury Hotels