- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Search the best hotels in Halkidiki
The Halkidiki Peninsula drops three long fingers into the Aegean, all lushly forested and lined with white sandy coves. Kassandra is the peninsula with the lively infrastructure, it's not busy, but this is where you'll find the most glamorous resorts and the villages with the best restaurants and bars and many of the best places to stay in Halkidiki. Sithonia has the most beautiful of the white, sandy beaches and the best camping. Athos is famed for the ancient Mount Athos monastic community.
It still gets busy in the summer though and popular with Greeks too, so book ahead - even if you're planning to stay in one of Sithonia's many campsites or self-catering apartment or villa.
Despite Halkidiki's proximity, and comparable beauty, to the Greek islands, this coastline region is relatively quiet in terms of visitor numbers. Up until the last few decades it's been best known by pilgrims and those searching for historic treasures, so its development has been restrained and feels largely unspoiled.
Halkidiki is a great springtime destination with water temperatures in the high teens and air temperatures around 20 degrees. The countryside is lush, green and covered in wildflowers. It's also nice in September.
What To Expect
Most of Halkidiki's beach resorts are on the east coast of Kassandra with Sani being the largest centrewith the best nightlife and Skala Fourkas a close second.
As well as the most beautiful beaches, sleepy Sithonia also has the oldest mosaics ever found in Greece in the excavation of Olynthos. Sithonia also has some lovely old villages.
Halkidiki's rugged interior is also a fascinating landscape to explore if you like walking or hiking.
What Not To Miss
- Take a boat trip from the tip of the Sithonia peninsula towards Mount Athos - the views are amazing. You can see the rows of Byzantine cliffside monasteries above the water and the sea life below. You can't visit without a permit, which must be applied for six months in advance. Women can't visit at all as there are still about 1,800 monks living here today.
- Explore Halkidiki's history in places like the picturesque, ancient village of Athitos, founded in 3,000BC, or the ruins of an ancient temple to Zeus at Kallithea, or the temple to Poseidon in Posidi;
- If you fancy unwinding from all the sightseeing then you can also visit the thermal baths at Agia Paraskevi.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Halkidiki offer something for everyone, whether you're looking for a budget guesthouse, family friendly resort or romantic luxury hideaway.
Best Beach Resorts
- Danai Beach Resort & Villas on the Sithonia peninsula is the place to come to be pampered in quiet luxury. Villas and suites have their own private pools and the hotel has its own semi-private beach.
- By a perfect blue lagoon on the Sithonia peninsula, the Ekies All Senses Resort has stylish, modern, designer decor and every luxury.
- Antigoni Beach Resort offers light and airy accommodation with splendid views, as well as all the mod cons. for a lovely beach break; a spa, an outdoor pool, private beach access and three restaurants to choose from.
- Ikos Olivia features tasteful contemporary rooms, a large outdoor pool and plenty of activities to keep the whole family entertained (including a Kids Club if the parents fancy a break!).
- Eagles Palace Hotel & Spa is a more upmarket choice, with understatedly luxurious accommodation decorated in a typically Greek colours - some of which even feature private pools! Choose from four terrific on site restaurants and spend your days soaking up the sun on their private beach.
- Afitis Boutique Hotel features stylish contemporary accommodation, two restaurants, a private beach and a lovely pool - what more could you possibly need? Idyllic and impressive.
- The Petrino Suites are by beautiful, ancient Athitos, on the Kassandra peninsula. A beautifully designed hotel converted from a traditional style stone house, with an excellent restaurant, this complex also has family accommodation more like spacious apartments than conventional hotel rooms.
- Skites boasts an array of comfortable and unfussy accommodation in Ouranopolis - including apartments which are ideal for families. With a restaurant and its own pebbly beach to boot, it's a splendid all round family choice.
- If you're looking for somewhere traditional yet unique the Alexandrou Inn is definitely one of the best places to stay in Halkidiki. From the outside it looks more like Tuscany than Greece, but this inn is full of character, and in a great location, by Arnea, a little market town. As well as ten rooms, this inn also has two family suites.
For An Apartment Or Villa
- Often renting a holiday villa or apartment is the best option. So for a wide range of self-catering accommodation throughout Halkidiki, we recommend you check out the properties with our online partner Booking.com.
- Halkidiki's nicest weather-wise in the summer, with the average daily temperature reaching 26°C in July.
- That said, this is peak tourist season, so if you fancy the beaches to yourself consider coming in May, September or October.
- International visitors can fly into Thessaloniki Airport, 80km south, before taking the bus to Halkidiki.
- easyJet fly direct from Gatwick to Thessaloniki, whilst Ryanair go from Stansted.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Halkidiki
Ekies All Senses Resort 69 rooms from £75Vourvourou, Halkidiki
Pretty resort hotel with designer rooms on a lovely sandy beach. Good restaurant, lots of activities, ideal for families. A popular haven.Swimming Pool - Soak up the sunshine by the pool and enjoy the adjoining bar.Romantic - Good for couples.SpaOn the beach - In front of the hotel.Recommended by - Tablet
Petrino Suites 33 rooms from £61Afytos, Halkidiki
Attractively designed oasis of calm in a uniquely unspoilt village, with excellent dining facilities. Apartment style rooms are situated around the pool, and lavish style gardens. The Beaches are close by, with Halkidiki's many beach bars a short drive form the hotel.Swimming Pool - Sit back and relax by the hotel pool and soak up the Greek sunshine.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Great walks - Good for walkers.Traditional
Skites 25 rooms from £75Ouranopolis, Halkidiki
Marvellous blend of simplicity and sophistication - small collection of pretty bungalow rooms and apartments with a pebbly beach, good food and a pool.Views - Great views from hotelTraditionalSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorOn the beach - In front of the hotel.Recommended by - I Escape
Eagles Palace Hotel & Spa 165 rooms from £130Ouranopolis, Halkidiki
Full-service resort with its own beach, an abundance of activities and excellent seaside restaurants. Contemporary and luxurious rooms stay in keeping with traditional Greek colours, and provide lots of space. Suites and villas with private pools are also available for that added luxury.Kids Club - Thekids are sure to be entertained with their own pool and activities program. There is also a babysitting service on site.Spa - Take a break and feel refreshed and re-energised from one of the many spa therapies on offer.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Tablet, Small Luxury Hotels
Afitis Boutique Hotel 50 rooms from £133Halkidiki
A luxury property set directly on a white sandy beach. Contemporary rooms are light and airy whilst the best rooms have private terraces. Offering two restaurants, a pristine pool and a private beach - this hotel encourages complete relaxation. Ideal for those looking for an idyllic beach holiday.Sights nearby - Take a wander around the pretty Afitos village and then head to its gorgeous beach to completely unwind.Views - Breathtaking views across the palm trees and out to seaSwimming Pool - Two outdoor swimming poolsSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Danai Beach Resort & Villas 60 rooms from £351Nikiti, Halkidiki
Romantic, pampered, barefoot elegance in this luxurious hideaway, with private pools and a sandy beach. Excellent food. Ideal for a honeymoon or romantic break.Foodies - You'll be spoilt for choice with four restaurants or for a more private meal, dining within your room, suite or villaSpa breaks - An extensive range of Holistic therapies and facilities, such as beach massages and an indoor poolKids Club - Fully staffed.Cooking classes - Check for timings.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection
Alexandrou Inn 12 rooms from £66Arnaia, Halkidiki
A traditional and beautifully restored traditional inn in the hinterland of undiscovered Halkidiki of rich farmland and wooded hills - good base for local exploring, full of character.Sights nearby - Being in the centre of the region it is a great place from which to explore.Full of characterGreat walks - Good for walkers.Traditional
Antigoni Beach Resort 50 rooms from £88Sithonia Halkidiki
An elegant hotel situated on one of Halkidiki's finest beaches. Light, airy rooms & suites with white washed walls and stunning views, and some with private hot tub. Lovely outdoor pool, private beach & glorious spa to keep everyone occupied. Three restaurants to choose from - ideal for families.Families - A beachside property with plenty of activities to keep all entertained.Beach Life - Set on one of the most pristine white sand beaches of Halkidiki.Diving - Scuba instruction in the crystal clear waters of Sithonia Halkidiki.Private Hot Tub - Two of the Sea View suites have a private outdoor jacuzzi
Ikos Olivia 291 rooms from £111Halkidiki
A 'has it all' resort with lovely gardens reaching down to the shore. The rooms are immaculate with crisp linen and large glass windows lead to great garden or sea views. Boundless activities are on offer for children and adults alike. An ideal destination for a family holiday.Families - The Kids Clubs will keep children occupied and active while parents sun themselves with a good book and a cocktail.Active Holiday - The hotel provides an endless array of activities from beach volleyball to tennis, cycling and canoeing.Diving - Beginners classes are held in the hotel pool before you head out to sea.Great walks - No better spot for a sunset stroll than along the picturesque shoreline.