Search the best hotels in Halkidiki
The Halkidiki Peninsula drops three long fingers into the Aegean, all lushly forested and lined with white sandy coves. Kassandra is the peninsula with the lively infrastructure, it's not busy, but this is where you'll find the most glamorous resorts and the villages with the best restaurants and bars and many of the best places to stay in Halkidiki. Sithonia has the most beautiful of the white, sandy beaches and the best camping. Athos is famed for the ancient Mount Athos monastic community. Our Guru's pick of the best hotels in Halkidiki covers all three peninsulas, and there truly is a property for everyone from a traditional inn in the undiscovered inland region to luxury family friendly resorts where all ages will be kept amused.
Despite Halkidiki's proximity, and comparable beauty, to the Greek islands, this coastline region is relatively quiet in terms of visitor numbers. Up until the last few decades it's been best known by pilgrims and those searching for historic treasures, so its development has been restrained and feels largely unspoiled. It still gets busy in the summer though and popular with Greeks too, so book ahead - even if you're planning to stay in one of Sithonia's many campsites or self-catering apartment or villa.
Halkidiki is a great springtime destination with water temperatures in the high teens and air temperatures around 20 degrees. The countryside is lush, green and covered in wildflowers. It's also nice in September.
Where to stay - which area/resort?
- Most of Halkidiki's beach resorts are on the east coast of Kassandra with Sani being the largest centre with the best nightlife and Skala Fourkas a close second. Book here if you're looking for something with a little action!
- As well as the most beautiful beaches, sleepy Sithonia also has the oldest mosaics ever found in Greece in the excavation of Olynthos. Sithonia also has some lovely old villages. This the region for you if you want undiscovered Greece, quiet beaches and a smattering of culture.
- Halkidiki's rugged interior is also a fascinating landscape to explore if you like walking or hiking.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Halkidiki offer something for everyone, whether you're looking for a budget guesthouse, family friendly resort or romantic luxury hideaway.
The best places to stay in Halkidiki
Best Beach Resorts
- Danai Beach Resort & Villas on the Sithonia peninsula is the place to come to be pampered in quiet luxury. Villas and suites have their own private pools and the hotel has its own semi-private beach.
- By a perfect blue lagoon on the Sithonia peninsula, the Ekies All Senses Resort has stylish, modern, designer decor and every luxury.
- Antigoni Beach Resort offers light and airy accommodation with splendid views, as well as all the mod cons. for a lovely beach break; a spa, an outdoor pool, private beach access and three restaurants to choose from.
- Ikos Olivia features tasteful contemporary rooms, a large outdoor pool and plenty of activities to keep the whole family entertained (including a Kids Club if the parents fancy a break!).
- Eagles Palace Hotel & Spa is a more upmarket choice, with understatedly luxurious accommodation decorated in a typically Greek colours - some of which even feature private pools! Choose from four terrific on site restaurants and spend your days soaking up the sun on their private beach.
- Afitis Boutique Hotel features stylish contemporary accommodation, two restaurants, a private beach and a lovely pool - what more could you possibly need? Idyllic and impressive.
- The Petrino Suites are by beautiful, ancient Athitos, on the Kassandra peninsula. A beautifully designed hotel converted from a traditional style stone house, with an excellent restaurant, this complex also has family accommodation more like spacious apartments than conventional hotel rooms.
- Skites boasts an array of comfortable and unfussy accommodation in Ouranopolis - including apartments which are ideal for families. With a restaurant and its own pebbly beach to boot, it's a splendid all round family choice.
- If you're looking for somewhere traditional yet unique the Alexandrou Inn is definitely one of the best places to stay in Halkidiki. From the outside it looks more like Tuscany than Greece, but this inn is full of character, and in a great location, by Arnea, a little market town. As well as ten rooms, this inn also has two family suites.
For An Apartment Or Villa
- Often renting a holiday villa or apartment is the best option. So for a wide range of self-catering accommodation throughout Halkidiki, we recommend you check out the properties with our online partner Booking.com.
- Halkidiki's nicest weather-wise in the summer, with the average daily temperature reaching 26°C in July.
- That said, this is peak tourist season, so if you fancy the beaches to yourself consider coming in May, September or October.
- International visitors can fly into Thessaloniki Airport, 80km south, before taking the bus to Halkidiki.
- easyJet fly direct from Gatwick to Thessaloniki, whilst Ryanair go from Stansted.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Halkidiki
Petrino Suites Afytos, Halkidiki 33 rooms from £61
Attractively designed oasis of calm in a uniquely unspoilt village, with excellent dining facilities. Apartment style rooms are situated around the pool, and lavish style gardens. The Beaches are close by, with Halkidiki's many beach bars a short drive form the hotel.Swimming Pool - Sit back and relax by the hotel pool and soak up the Greek sunshine.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Great walks - Good for walkers.Traditional
Gkeea Boutique Hotel Halkidiki,, Halkidiki 16 rooms from £62
A smart modern hotel, well positioned close to a number of beaches. Interiors are minimal and sleek with simple contemporary fittings, while comfortable rooms, in a subdued grey and mauve palette, are decorated with minimalist style and feature luxurious bathrooms. A great base, and good value too!Beach Life - Just 100m from the beach, with 70 more beautiful blue flag beaches within easy reach, an ideal spot for a seaside holidaySights nearby - Explore ruined cities, castles and Byzantine churches and feel the palpable history of this regionSailing - Hire a boat to sail around Mount Athos to see the incredible cliffside monasteriesGreat walks - Hike along the many marked trails through pine forests and along the coast
Alexandrou Inn Arnaia, Halkidiki 12 rooms from £65
A traditional and beautifully restored traditional inn in the hinterland of undiscovered Halkidiki of rich farmland and wooded hills - good base for local exploring, full of character.Sights nearby - Being in the centre of the region it is a great place from which to explore.Full of characterGreat walks - Good for walkers.Traditional
Rigas Boutique Hotel Halkidiki 34 rooms from £65
A modern cliffside hotel with amazing sea views from the rooms and terrace. The open-plan restaurant spills onto the pool terrace creating a fun atmosphere, while hip interiors feature sleek grey sofas and contemporary fittings. Chic, unfussy rooms have a palette of greys and stylish Scandi pieces.Beach Life - Situated on a prime clifftop position within easy reach of the lovely local beachLocal markets - The shops in nearby Kassandra stock traditional ceramics, handwoven textiles, olive wood carvings and Halkidiki honeySailing - Go on a day trip sailing around Mount Athos to see the fascinating 9th-century monasteries hugging the cliffsSights nearby - Visit the pretty Agios Dimitrios Church in Athios and the ancient site of Olynthos just 25 minutes away
Art Boutique Hotel Halkidiki 18 rooms from £72
This art hotel is nestled in the charming seaside town of Pefkochori in Greece. Guestrooms have palettes themed around different artists and feature luxurious upholstered headboards and rich linens. Relax with a cocktail and sea views on the hotel roof terrace after a day on the beach.Romantic Break - With beautifully appointed suites, luxury linens and a romantic roof terrace, book this hotel for your next couples' getawayLocal exploring - This hotel's location makes it great for day trips; organise a tour of Athens or see the ruins at Vergina and OlympusBeach Life - Set on the coast in a charming seaside town in Greece, book this hotel as a base for your next beach breakSights nearby - Go on a sightseeing tour of the Monasteries of the Holy Mountain of Athos on a cruise to Mount Athos; book through the hotel
Ekies All Senses Resort Vourvourou, Halkidiki 69 rooms from £74
Pretty resort hotel with designer rooms on a lovely sandy beach. Good restaurant, lots of activities, ideal for families. A popular haven.Swimming Pool - Soak up the sunshine by the pool and enjoy the adjoining bar.Romantic - Good for couples.SpaOn the beach - In front of the hotel.Recommended by - Tablet
Skites Ouranopolis, Halkidiki 25 rooms from £74
Marvellous blend of simplicity and sophistication - small collection of pretty bungalow rooms and apartments with a pebbly beach, good food and a pool.Views - Great views from hotelTraditionalSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorOn the beach - In front of the hotel.Recommended by - I Escape
Hotel Liotopi Halkidiki 16 rooms from £77
A charming family-friendly boutique hotel located right on the seafront. Understated yet chic rooms, are airy and bright with crisp white linens and freshly cut flowers. The best offer sea views. Home-cooked meals are seasonal and delicious featuring traditional local dishes - a real highlight!Families - It’s not one of those places that offers all kinds of child diversions but simply a charming, laid-back, classic family hotelBeach Life - In a lovely sandy bay, beside the promontory where Aristotle was born, sits the small town of Olympiada and the Hotel LiotopiHalf Board - The price quoted is on a half board basis, and represents exceptional value for money!Great walks - Many pretty walks in the area, including one to the beautiful Varvara Waterfalls, and many in the foothills of Mt Olympus
Antigoni Beach Resort Sithonia Halkidiki 50 rooms from £87
An elegant hotel situated on one of Halkidiki's finest beaches. Light, airy rooms & suites with white washed walls and stunning views, and some with private hot tub. Lovely outdoor pool, private beach & glorious spa to keep everyone occupied. Three restaurants to choose from - ideal for families.Families - A beachside property with plenty of activities to keep all entertained.Beach Life - Set on one of the most pristine white sand beaches of Halkidiki.Diving - Scuba instruction in the crystal clear waters of Sithonia Halkidiki.Private Hot Tub - Two of the Sea View suites have a private outdoor jacuzzi
Ikos Olivia Halkidiki 291 rooms from £109
A 'has it all' resort with lovely gardens reaching down to the shore. The rooms are immaculate with crisp linen and large glass windows lead to great garden or sea views. Boundless activities are on offer for children and adults alike. An ideal destination for a family holiday.Families - The Kids Clubs will keep children occupied and active while parents sun themselves with a good book and a cocktail.Active Holiday - The hotel provides an endless array of activities from beach volleyball to tennis, cycling and canoeing.Diving - Beginners classes are held in the hotel pool before you head out to sea.Great walks - No better spot for a sunset stroll than along the picturesque shoreline.
Eagles Palace Hotel & Spa Ouranopolis, Halkidiki 165 rooms from £130
Full-service resort with its own beach, an abundance of activities and excellent seaside restaurants. Contemporary and luxurious rooms stay in keeping with traditional Greek colours, and provide lots of space. Suites and villas with private pools are also available for that added luxury.Kids Club - Thekids are sure to be entertained with their own pool and activities program. There is also a babysitting service on site.Spa - Take a break and feel refreshed and re-energised from one of the many spa therapies on offer.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Tablet, Small Luxury Hotels
Afitis Boutique Hotel Halkidiki 50 rooms from £132
A luxury property set directly on a white sandy beach. Contemporary rooms are light and airy whilst the best rooms have private terraces. Offering two restaurants, a pristine pool and a private beach - this hotel encourages complete relaxation. Ideal for those looking for an idyllic beach holiday.Sights nearby - Take a wander around the pretty Afitos village and then head to its gorgeous beach to completely unwind.Views - Breathtaking views across the palm trees and out to seaSwimming Pool - Two outdoor swimming poolsSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Sani Beach Hotel Halkidiki 446 rooms from £148
A luxury hotel with a lagoon-style pool and gorgeous beach, with a choice of quality restaurants and bars. Sleek, marble-clad interiors feature white modern furniture and quirky decor, while the fresh, bright rooms have floor-to-ceiling windows with super views. Great for both couples and families.Local exploring - On a rocky penisula, surrounded by a 1000 acre pine forest, an idyllic base from which to explore Halkidiki’s coastlineBeach Life - Guests will love the handy beach access right at the foot of the gardenBirdwatching - Explore the scenery and discover an amazing array of birds on a private tour of the magical Sani WetlandsKids Club - Offering a large variety of activities, from forest treks, adventures courses and watersport activities
Sani Dunes Halkidiki,, Halkidiki 136 rooms from £156
A stunning luxury resort on the beach with a choice of pools as well as an indulgent spa and several great dining options. Sophisticated interiors have chic, simple decor and designer furniture, while the luxurious, comfy rooms in beige and pastels feature slick art and natural materials.Total relaxation - Great for an indulgent stay just relaxing and lounging around, with everything you'll need provided on siteBirdwatching - Go on a tour to discover the amazing array of birds on the stunning Sani WetlandsGreat walks - Enjoy kilometres of excellently-maintained forest trailsSwimming Pool - Indoor and outdoor pools
Eagles Villas Ouranoupoli, Halkidiki 42 rooms from £304
This family-run resort comprises a collection of luxury villas overlooking the coast in Ouranopolis. Each villa unfolds around a plunge pool, with contemporary interiors and terraces that offer spectacular sea views. Be sure to sample the tasting menu at the beautiful hotel restaurant, Lofos.Beach Life - Boasting a private beach and sea views from every suite, book this hotel for your next luxury seaside getawayFamilies - Larger villas are great for a family stay, offering bigger swimming pools and extra living spaceRomantic Break - These discreet, private villas with sea views make a picturesque setting for a romantic breakSights nearby - Take a boat trip departing from the gulf to the historic monasteries on Mount Athos, know as the Holy MountainRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Small Luxury Hotels
Avaton Luxury Villas Resort Halkidiki 16 rooms from £325
Luxury villas and suites with private pools surrounded by lush gardens leading right to the beach which is peppered with comfy loungers. Interiors are sleek and stylish with quirky artwork. Enjoy a romantic meal under the canopy of pretty fabric gazebos while gazing at the sea. A coastal treat!Beach Life - These luxury villas have easy beach access making it an easy and relaxing seaside baseSights nearby - Head to ancient Stagira, an important ancient city of Halkidiki, and Zigou, the oldest monastery in the Athos peninsulaGreat walks - Wander around the picturesque Artistotle Park in StagiraSwimming Pool - Villas with private poolsRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Danai Beach Resort & Villas Nikiti, Halkidiki 60 rooms from £347
Romantic, pampered, barefoot elegance in this luxurious hideaway, with private pools and a sandy beach. Excellent food. Ideal for a honeymoon or romantic break.Foodies - You'll be spoilt for choice with four restaurants or for a more private meal, dining within your room, suite or villaSpa breaks - An extensive range of Holistic therapies and facilities, such as beach massages and an indoor poolKids Club - Fully staffed.Cooking classes - Check for timings.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection