Search the best hotels in Luxembourg City
About Luxembourg City
A place steeped in medieval history and filled with museums and sights, Luxembourg is a fascinating city to visit. There's plenty to explore here; from discovering its vast complex of underground tunnels, marvelling at Roman mosaics in its National Museum or hiking through the green and pleasant Petrusse Valley. There's a wide range of accomodation in the city and our collection of the best places to stay in Luxembourg City has something for everone, from boutiques to luxury hotels.
Founded in 963, the city was built between deep gorges fashioned by the Azlette and Petrusse rivers. By the 16th century, the fortress, built atop a great rock, was considered to be one of the most impregnable in Europe and by the 17th century, engineers had created a 23km series of underground tunnels where citizens would take refuge in times of war. Both of these sights are UNESCO-listed and are open to the public, even in spite of the castle's dismantling in the 19th century.
In terms of museums, visitors are truly spoilt for choice. The Luxembourg City History Museum boasts a fantastic detailing of the city's history, while the National Museum of History and Art boasts arguably the most impressive Roman mosaic north of the Alps; as for art, check out the Casino Luxembourg Forum of Contemporary Art.
The pedestrianised areas of the Old City are ideally suited to shopping sprees as they teem with high-end boutiques and antique shops; the streets themselves are old, and medieval houses seamlessly blend with the newer avant-garde architecture. Buildings like the Notre Dame cathedral stand stark and beautiful against the skyline, while the gorgeous medieval facades of buildings like the Grand Duke's Residence shine brightly.
Luxembourg City is a truly international place for more reasons than one. With a population with over 170 nationalities, it is also the beating heart of the European Union, being home to the European Court of Justice, the European Investment Bank and the General Secretariat of the European Parliament.
What not to miss
- Head out of the city towards the Petrusse Valley and drink in the clean country air and majestic green scenery.
- Check out the Luxembourg City History Museum to immerse yourself in the city's rich and varied history.
- Take a guided tour of the underground medieval tunnels, the Casemates.
- Visit the fortress and marvel at the superior workmanship.
- Stand awestruck at the beautiful Flemish Renaissance facade of the Grand Duke's Residence.
- For some art viewing, check out the Casino Luxembourg Forum of Contemporary Art.
This is a fabulous city to visit, particularly if you're keen on history. Browse through our collection of the best places to stay in Luxembourg City to start planning your trip.
The best places to stay in Luxembourg
- Hotel Simoncini: a lovely small hotel in the heart of the city, offering plush contemporary rooms with whitewashed walls and modern art. Great for families.
- Les Jardins d'Anais: a small and stylish hotel in a great location, offering rooms that blend modernity with traditional decor. Think white linens, antique furniture, pastel hues and parquet flooring. Expect fine dining at the restaurant and attentive service.
- Hotel Parc Beaux Arts: light, airy and utterly romantic, this hotel is ideally suited to couples. Light wooden floors, whitewashed walls and splashes of art adorn the rooms. The restaurant is sumptuous and the sit-out terrace is incredibly relaxing.
- La Pipistrelle: offering jaw-droppingly indulgent breakfasts and beautiful rooms blending minimalist design and traditional aesthetics, with exposed stone walls and contemporary artworks.
- Le Place d'Armes: chic, romantic and intimate, this brilliant hotel offers gorgeous rooms that combine neo-Baroque furnishings and contemporary amenities finished with a designer flair. Fantastic French cuisine, outdoor terraces and a Michelin-star restaurant. The full 5 stars.
- Le Royal: a luxurious 5 star hotel in the city centre, offering comfortable and elegantly furnished rooms, gorgeous cityscape views, a pampering spa and a delightful piano bar. Totally divine, a haven of tranquillity.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- Fly to Luxembourg Airport.
- If you want to rent a car we recommend contacting our partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to go is during the summer when the temperature ranges between 11 and 23 degrees.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Luxembourg
- or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Luxembourg City
Best Hotels in Luxembourg City
Hotel Simoncini Luxembourg City 6 rooms from AU$248Local exploring - Ideally located in the heart of the city with many cultural attractions within walking distance.Sights nearby - Visit the majestic Grand Ducal Palace.
A chic boutique hotel in the heart of Luxembourg City. Contemporary rooms are light and airy with polished wooden floors, whitewashed walls, crisp white linen and modern art. Friendly staff are always willing to advise on where to visit and many of the city's attractions are just a stroll away. See More
Les Jardins d'Anaïs Luxembourg City (Clausen) 7 rooms from AU$245Business meetings - Close to the city centre with a stylish resturant and cigar lounge, this hotel is perfect for business meetingsLocal exploring - Well positioned close to the city centre and its main attractionsGreat walks - Enjoy scenic strolls along the River AlzetteSights nearby - Close to the beautiful Parc des Trois Glands
A small stylish hotel ideally positioned in the heart of the city. Seven elegant and individually styled rooms have a pared-back traditional aesthetic with pastel hues, a choice selection of antiques and beautiful parquet flooring. Expect attentive service and fine dining in the chic restaurant. See More
Hotel Parc Beaux Arts Luxembourg City 9 rooms from AU$248City StyleLocal markets - Good for local colour.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Boutique
La Pipistrelle Luxembourg City 4 rooms from AU$306Local exploring - Located in the heart of Luxembourg City with many attractions within walking distance.Sights nearby - Visit the Grand-Ducal Palace famous for its Flemish Renaissance façade.Sailing - Spend the afternoon sailing on the lake of the Upper Sûre Dam.Great walks - Take long walks through 'Luxembourg's Little Switzerland'.
A chic boutique B&B in the heart of Luxembourg City. Four elegantly dressed rooms mix contemporary and traditional styles with exposed stone, minimalist furniture, whitewashed walls and contemporary art. Indulgent breakfasts are served and the city's main attractions are within walking distance. See More
Le Place d'Armes Luxembourg City 18 rooms from AU$302Romantic - Good for couples.City StyleSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRestaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Le Royal, Luxembourg City Luxembourg City 210 rooms from AU$424Total relaxation - With five star service, elegant rooms and an extensive wellness centre, it's the perfect place to unwind in the city.Sights nearby - Just a five minute walk from the Place D'Armes.Opulent5* Luxury - Very high service standards.
A plush five star hotel in Luxembourg city centre. Rooms are comfortable and luxurious with elegant furnishings and cityscape views. Relax in the hotel's extensive spa and in the evening enjoy a cocktail in the intimate piano bar. A great spot for those on business trips. See More