Search the best hotels in Chefchaouen
Tucked in the craggy Rif region and painted blue since 1492, charming Chefchaouen is one of the prettiest towns in Morocco. Popular with both backpackers and an increasingly chic crowd of travellers, this heritage gem boasts a wide array of accommodation options, suitable for a range of budgets. Many of the best places to stay in Chefchaouen are within the ancient medina, but one of our favourite spots is a rustic farmhouse in the nearby mountains, ideal for hiking and birdwatching.
Nestled two hours inland from Tangier, Chefchaouen boasts oodles of history, culture and fabulous food. A delightful blend of Moroccan and Andalusian elements converge throughout the town, best explored with the help of a knowledgeable guide. Amble along narrow lanes, under archways and up steep stone steps to admire bright blue houses with red-tiled rooftops, before pausing in lively Plaza Uta El Hammam, at the heart of the medina. Don’t miss marvelling at the 15th-century kasbah, complete with an appealing Andalusian-style garden, a museum and an art gallery, for a sense of the town’s complex past. If it’s creative crafts that you’re after, try Ensemble Artisanat, where you can watch talented artisans at work, or peer into tiny independent shops and tour the medina's thriving markets. There are also excellent eateries dotted throughout Chefchaouen, cooking up spicy tagine feasts and all manner of regional specialities in simple, classic settings.
Head to the northeastern gate of the medina to see the picturesque waterfall of Ras El Maa, traditionally used by Chefchaouen women for clothes-washing, or catch spectacular sunsets from the grounds of the abandoned hundred-year-old Spanish Mosque.
Beyond the town itself lie the Rif Mountains, a fantastic region for ramblers or birdwatchers to explore. Trek through the forests of the beautiful Bouhachem Regional Nature Reserve to spot myriad birds, reptiles and Barbary monkeys. There are lovely villages hidden amidst the verdant landscape, too.
A hugely attractive destination for relaxed travellers, Chefchaouen provides a lovely balance of tourist-focused activities and laid-back authenticity. Whether you’re eager to wind your way through the historic medina or to discover the mountains on foot, the best places to stay in Chefchaouen promise a welcoming holiday retreat, topped with delicious home-cooked fare.
The Best Places to Stay in Chefchaouen
For an intimate stay
- La Petite Chefchaouen boasts five cosy, contemporary bedrooms hidden within the kasbah walls. Expect soft linens perfect for sinking into after a long day of exploring the town, beautiful panoramas from the rooftop terrace, and a warm welcome. A little hideaway for couples and foodies -- who will adore the evening feasts.
For rustic charm
- Auberge Dardara is a traditional Berber-style farmhouse with rustic bedrooms featuring tiled floors topped with homespun rugs, large stone fireplaces and bright bedspreads on wrought-iron beds. Pick this place for its laid-back feel and the flavoursome food served in the no-frills restaurant. Ideal for walkers, hikers and birdwatchers eager to discover the green hills beyond Chefchaouen.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Tangier airport or to Gibraltar, Seville or Málaga, and take the ferry to Tangier. It's then a two-hour taxi or three-hour bus ride inland to Chefchaouen.
- Alternatively, contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the summer months (May to September) for the best weather, when temperatures average between 24 and 29°C. Come at the beginning or the end of the season to avoid the crowds!
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Tangier.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Morocco.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Chefchaouen
Best Hotels in Chefchaouen
Auberge Dardara Chefchaouen 21 rooms from AU$115Active Holiday - Set in a picturesque rural position with numerous outdoor pursuits on offer.Cooking classes - Take a cooking class and learn how to make Jbala northern Moroccan cuisine.Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolTraditional
La Petite Chefchaouen Chefchaouen (1er Rif Andalouss) 5 rooms from AU$135Local exploring - Ideally placed to explore Chefchaouen and its surrounding countryside.Local markets - Scour the Souk el had (market) for local handicrafts (open on Sundays).Views - Great views from hotelTraditional
1,850 ft high up in the Rif mountains in northwestern Morocco sits the striking blue-washed city of Chefchaouen. La Petite Chefchaouen is a small contemporary boutique hotel within the kasbah walls with modern comforts, roof terrace (two of the rooms have private terraces) and innovative cooking. See More