Search the best hotels in Manteigas
Mantiegas is situated in the Guarda district of central Portugal. It lies at an altitude of 700m above the Rio Zezere in the high mountain air of the Serra da Estrela. The best places to stay in Manteigas are perfect for enjoying this unique and off-the-beaten-track part of the country.
The town itself dates back to moorish times when the settlement was possibly established close to the hot springs at Caldas de Manteigas. It is full of pretty whitewashed houses lining cobbled streets and the vibe is very much one of stepping back in time.
The approaches by road are both dramatic and stunningly beautiful. High peaks and forest covered slopes dominate the views in all directions.
Set amid the Serra da Estrela, Portugal’s highest mountain range, Manteigas is a walker's and hiker's paradise. The Glacial valley above is all terraced meadows and shepherd’s huts…You can also ski here in the cold winter months.
WHAT NOT TO MISS
- The Burel Factory - a factory manufacturing a felt like material from wool which at one stage employed 1000 people. It was closed a decade ago but was recently reestablished by an enthusiast. The tours are free and fascinating.
- Poco do Inferno - Hell’s well is a spectacular ravine/waterfall best visited in the spring when there is a lot of water. It involves a 6 km walk through pleasant forest paths, but it's worth it when you get there!
This town may be off most people's radars, but if you want to be sure of a room in one of the best places to stay in Manteigas during the peak seasons, book well ahead.
THE BEST PLACES TO STAY IN MANTEIGAS
For a country escape
- Casa das Obras is full of history and country house charm and is set amid rolling countryside. The rooms are traditional with stone floors, antiques and art. There are panoramic views of the valley below. A great getaway from it all
- Casa das Penhas Douradas is a chic mountain retreat; very quiet and pampering. The rooms are cleanly elegant and decorated in warm colours, and the views are spectacular. There is an unpretentious restaurant serving first class food. The environment is stunning making this an ideal choice for a romantic break.
- For a five star luxury property overlooking the stunning Glacier valley, book the Casa de Sao Lourenco. Rooms boast hand selected pieces from renowned Portuguese designers, and the views from the floor to ceiling windows are to die for.
For a holiday villa or apartment
- If you'd like the flexibility of a self catering property, check out the options with our partner, booking.com.
- The nearest major airport is Porto, around 210km north west of Manteigas.
- For car hire options, see the range with our partner, Rentalcars.
- July and August are the best months to visit if you're looking for warm dry weather with average highs of around 22 degrees celsius.
Still Not sure?
- Expand your search to include all our recommendations in the Serra da Estrela,
- Or nearby Viseu.
- Alternatively, contact a friendly guru for advice.
Monthly Weather in Manteigas
Best Hotels in Manteigas
Casa das Obras Manteigas 6 rooms from AU$111Sights nearby - Glacier Valley of Zêzere, the Poço do Inferno Waterfall, Caldas de Manteigas.Great walks - Good for walkers.Romantic - Good for couples.Traditional
A beautiful country house with plenty of history and charm. Set in the rolling countryside just outside a famous little village. Traditional rooms have stone floors, paintings on the walls, antique furnishings, and sweeping views over the valley below. A country escape with lots of peace and quiet. See More
Casa das Penhas Douradas Manteigas (Penhas Douradas) 18 rooms from AU$277Romantic Break - An ideal for couples retreat with chic interiors, good food, great wine and superb views from the floor to ceiling windows.Eco break - Set in the heart of Serra da Estrela, built using all natural materials, the hotel repects its natural enviroment.Writing a novel - Draw inspiration from your stunning surroundings in this peaceful and charming spot.Great walks - Guests should set aside some time to walk to the Manteigas hot water springs- truly magical!Recommended by - Great Small Hotels , I Escape, Sawdays
A chic mountain retreat offering peace, quiet and pampering. Elegant and clean cut rooms in warm, natural colours with spectacular views right from your bed. The unpretentious restaurant serves up fresh healthy flavoursome food, without messing around. Make the most of your stunning surrounds. See More
Casa de São Lourenço Manteigas (Serra da Estrela) 21 rooms from AU$285Active Holiday - With hiking, skiing and cycling all available close to the hotel, this makes a great active holidayBack to Nature - Set in a tranquil mountain setting, this hotel is perfect for a retreat to natureRomantic Break - The luxurious suite, spa and restaurant make this a popular hotel for couplesGreat walks - With 250km of marked hiking trails to explore in Serra da Estrela, there are lots of opportunities for walkers
This five-star luxury hotel occupies a renovated 1940s building overlooking the beautiful Glacier Valley. Rooms boast hand-selected pieces by renowned Portuguese designers; the best suites have private terraces with panoramic views. Sample seasonal local produce in the restaurant. A stand-out hotel. See More