- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ Book Online Now
Serra da Estrela
Search the best hotels in Serra da Estrela
About Serra da Estrela
The beautiful row of peaks and high plateaus which make up the Serra da Estrela - or 'Star Mountain Range', includes the highest point on mainland Portugal. It's a spectacular plateau which has the unusual bonus of being reachable by road. As you might imagine some of the best places to stay in the Serra da Estrela are ski resorts, but this isn't just a destination for the winter, it's a place of outstanding natural beauty in summer too.
What not to miss
- In the winter months people are drawn to the area for its skiing and the region is home to some lovely resorts.
- Part of the Serra da Estrela's appeal is its unusual craggy silhouette, which drops quickly into deep gorges lined with mountain streams and lakes. And with those expansive plateaus you can expect some pretty unique views. On a clear day you might even be able to see the sea, more than 150kms away.
- There are a number of well known walking routes crossing the Serra da Estrela, including a number of great day trips.
- As well as snow and scenery, the Serra da Estrela is know for it's ancient soft cheese, made from a two thousand year old recipe. Don't leave the area without trying it.
- Linhares is definitely worth a visit, one of Portugal's official Historical Villages, with an impressive 13th Century castle.
Our selection of the best places to stay in Serra da Estrela are all in the heart of the National Park and are also phenomenal value for money.
The Best Places to Stay in the Serra da Estrela
For great value
- Casa das Obras offers country house charm and traditional furnishings throughout. Great value too, with rooms from just €68 per night.
- Casas da Lapa is a great option for couples and famiies alike with contemporary rooms and two apartments for four. There's a great table d'hote too - just make sure you book ahead!
For a luxurious moutain retreat
- The stunning Madre de Água Hotel Rural is set on a beautiful farm outside Gouveia. Sample the farm's delicious cheese, wine and olive oil in the restaurant and enjoy the hotel's chic rooms. Perfect for a relaxing rural retreat.
For an apartment or villa
- Explore the options at our online partner Booking.com.
- The nearest airport to the reach is Porto (80 miles).
- For car hire, visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- If your looking for skiing, the best time to visit Serra da Estrela is from December to March, however our pick of the best time to visit is from June to September.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Serra da Estrela
Madre de Água Hotel Rural 10 rooms from £105Gouveia, Serra da Estrela
Madre de Água Hotel Rural is situated on a wine, cheese and olive oil producing farm outside Gouveia. It offers chic, modern accommodation, some rooms even feature their own fireplace. Be sure to eat at their excellent restaurant serving regional cuisine! A peaceful and rejuvenating spot.Back to Nature - Madre de Água offers a variety of expediitons and trips for you to fully appreciate the area's natural beautyCountry Escape - Forget about all your worries at this tranquil rural spot outside GouveiaSights nearby - Head into the quaint and historic city of Gouveia, just a five minute drive awayGreat walks - Go hiking up the Serra de Estrela and take in the fantastic surrounding views
Casas da Lapa 8 rooms from £72Seia, Serra da Estrela
A wonderful Portugese country house surrounded by stunning mountain landscape. Contemporary chic rooms and two apartments (sleep 4 each), wonderful pool and sun deck, good table d'hote, and plenty of outdoor activities and wildlife to discover. Perfect for families.Active Holiday - The Serra de Estrela has a lot of wildlife and landscape to explore.Value chicFamiliesSights nearby - The caves of Moura and Suma.Recommended by - I Escape
Casa das Obras 6 rooms from £60Manteigas, Serra da Estrela
A beautiful country house with plenty of history and charm. Set in the rolling countryside just outside a famous little village. Traditional rooms have stone floors, paintings on the walls, antique furnishings, and sweeping views over the valley below. A country escape with lots of peace and quiet.Sights nearby - Glacier Valley of Zêzere, the Poço do Inferno Waterfall, Caldas de Manteigas.Great walks - Good for walkers.Romantic - Good for couples.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor