Search the best hotels in Canary Islands
Best Hotels in Canary Islands
About Canary Islands
There's a lot more to the Canary Islands than the sun, sand and fun of the big beach resort towns. These seven Spanish islands boast rich and fascinating histories, with heritage architecture, cultural festivals and fabulous regional cuisine, all set against dramatic volcanic landscapes. Most of our Gurus’ recommendations for the best places to stay in the Canary Islands seek to look beyond the bustling beach resorts, and instead to highlight charming B&Bs, rural escapes and family-friendly boutique hotels by the ocean. Expect superb style and a very warm welcome, whichever island you choose to visit.
Some of our Canary Islands collections:
- 16 of the Best Hotels on the Canary Islands for Families
- 10 of the Best Beach Hotels on the Canary Islands
- 10 of the Best Luxury Hotels in the Canary Islands
- 13 of the Best Rural Hotels on the Canary Islands
- 10 of the Best Hotels in the Canary Islands for Walking Holidays
- 7 Great Guesthouses and B&Bs in the Canary Islands
The largest of the Canary Islands, Tenerife is famed for is sensational seaside resorts, many of which are clustered along the island’s western coast. Venture north for smaller, more off-the-beaten-track hotels in little villages, some of which offer easy access to the striking Teide National Park, home to the tallest mountain in Spain. Little La Gomera, which can be reached by ferry from Tenerife, is studded with banana plantations and laurel forests, perfect for keen explorers.
Lanzarote and Gran Canaria have long welcomed package holidaymakers, but times are changing and a burgeoning crop of characterful new hotels await on these islands, too. Discover dazzling landscapes on foot or by bicycle, or enjoy a lively city break to Gran Canaria’s La Palma, the seventh largest city in Spain. For big beaches and a laid-back atmosphere, look to Fuerteventura — also a UNESCO-recognised biosphere reserve. Finally, lush La Palma promises a restorative escape, whilst cliff-lined El Hierro will delight those looking to truly get away from it all. Our guide to the best places to stay in Canary Islands awaits!
The Best Places to Stay in the Canary Islands
For Heritage Charm
- Hotel Rural Mahoh is a traditonal 19th-century Canarian house with big four poster beds and exposed stone walls in atmospheric guest rooms. Ideal for heritage buffs, it offers a tranquil rural escape and a real sense of old Fuerteventura. There's a wonderful restaurant, too.
- Casa del Embajador, a former diplomat’s residence in Lanzarote's Playa Blanca, has 12 simple yet charming rooms with terracotta-tiled floors and blue or white-painted walls. With restaurants, shops and two beaches within walking distance, it's a lovely base for relaxed couples who might prefer not to hire a car. The sea-facing terrace is wonderful.
- Hotel San Roque is a heritage property in Tenerife’s seaside Garachico. A red-painted 18th-century mansion, this elegant 20 bedroom hotel now has a superb courtyard pool and a characterful interiors with warm blue-green walls. The best rooms are spread across two levels, connected by a wooden spiral staircase. Beautiful and romantic.
For a Beach Break
- Jardin Tecina is an impressive 460-room clifftop beach resort in La Gomera's bustling Playa de Santiago. Active families will adore the extensive facilities, including watersports, tennis courts, a golf course, swimming pools and beach volley ball. A seaside beach resort experience, suitable for guests of all ages.
- The Volcan in Lanzarote, built to resemble a classic white-washed village, is a chic seaside resort overlooking Marina Rubicón. Expect no fewer than five pools, squash courts, a gym, a rejuvenating spa and a fun kids club with plenty of activities for little ones. It's brilliant for family-friendly holidays at the coast. Five star style.
- The Ritz-Carlton Abama is a spectacular Moorish-inspired resort with Atlantic Ocean views in Tenerife. Beautiful rooms and suites promise elegant five-star style, and guests can savour terrific cuisine in ten restaurants, unwind at the deluxe spa, or hone their skills on the championship golf course.
- Avanti Boutique Hotel in Fuerteventura opened in 1969 as the only hotel on the beach in Corralejo. Following a substantial renovation, its 14 romantic blue-and-white guest rooms now have a light, relaxed feel, with striking sea views. The best rooms have private terraces, but the hotel's big draw is its lovely roof terrace, perfect for sipping sundowners. The excellent restaurant serves fresh seafood & local produce.
- Villa Vik is a two-storey 1970s villa with characterful interiors in Lanzarote's Arrecife. The 14 individually decorated rooms and suites — the best of which have hot tubs on private terraces — will delight couples, who share access to a refreshing swimming pool and an acclaimed restaurant. Adults only and ideal for romantic breaks or intimate weddings.
- Hacienda de Abajo is a gorgeous 17th-century plantation house in the Tazacorte area of La Palma. A careful restoration has preserved period features in 32 sumptuous guest rooms, perfect for a memorable romantic escape. Lush gardens, a refreshing swimming pool and an excellent restaurant complete the picture.
- La Hacienda del Buen Suceso is a wonderfully elegant escape in Gran Canaria, set within 50 hectares of banana trees. A traditional hacienda with an ochre-painted exterior and arched walkways, this is a charming and romantic hotel. The 18 rooms and suites boast original features, the barn has been converted into a relaxed restaurant, and there's a swimming pool and spa. Lovely and peaceful.
For Families and Groups
- Hotel el Mondalón is a traditional finca with 10 renovated bedrooms in Gran Canaria. Airy and chic spaces have wooden ceilings, white-washed walls and warm red tones. The largest rooms offer space for families, who will also appreciate the heated pool and pretty gardens. Great value for outdoorsy family holidays.
- Barcelo Castillo Beach Resort is an extensive beach resort with modern rooms and suites offering flexible options for families. The big draw is the plethora of activities, ranging from sailing to tennis and fishing, as well as the kids club and the popular evening entertainment. A lively holiday base for the whole family in Fuerteventura's Caleta de Fuste.
- Finca Malvasia is a stylish guesthouse in the heart of Lanzarote. Featuring Marimekko fabrics, crisp sheets and walk-in showers, the four cottages and laid-back guest rooms are brilliant for groups or longer-stay guests. The friendly owners will happily share their top tips and help with booking island excursions.
- Parador de La Palma will delight families and groups with its vast manicured gardens, large swimming pool and excellent regional restaurant, as well as its multiple events spaces. A typical white-walled Canarian building, the hotel has generous rooms with wooden balconies and expansive island views. Take the little ones to the beach or stroll into town to explore.
- Hotel Botanico is a five-star spa hotel set on a hillside overlooking Tenerife’s Puerto de la Cruz and the ocean beyond. Elegant rooms and suites have private balconies — the best have hot tubs. The Oriental Spa Garden is a delight, there are multiple dining options and little ones will adore the kids club. A luxurious break for the whole family.
FOR AN ADULTS-ONLY RESORT
- Secrets Bahía Real Resort & Spa is superb seaside resort in Corralejo on Fuerteventura with indulgent suites, six fantastic restaurants, a 3000-metre-square spa and a glamorous sense of style. Five star bliss for adults only, it's a terrific beachfront choice for those seeking all the facilities and amenities of a luxury resort.
- Lani's Suites de Luxe is a sophisticated seaside hotel in Lanzarote with swish contemporary suites. White-on-white interiors feel fresh and stylish, and make the dazzling sea views all the more striking. A luxurious adults-only spot with delicious Mediterranean cuisine and direct access to the beach.
- Bohemia Suites & Spa is a funky, ultra-modern oasis overlooking the ocean on Gran Canaria’s southern coast. Rooms and suites are clad in warm, earthy tones, with lots of red and orange. Adults-only, the hotel has a lively bar, two excellent restaurants and a soothing spa. Life centres around the swimming pool, and the vibe is appealingly convivial and romantic.
- Royal Hideaway Corales Beach is a grown-up seaside hotel in Tenerife with white-on-white interiors and a real sense of contemporary style. Adult-only, this is a top spot for a Costa Adeje honeymoon or wellness break, complete with an infinity pool, rejuvenating spa and dazzling rooftop restaurant. Gorgeous.
For a Rural Escape
- La Casona del Patio, set between the Teno Mountains and the Chinyero Nature Reserve in Tenerife, promises a comfortable rural escape. The seafood restaurant is excellent, the 20 bedrooms are very inviting, and there are hikes aplenty right on your doorstep. A country gem.
- Hotel Rural Ibo Alfaro is a tranquil and traditional 19th-century manor house offering superb views of the Hermigua Valley in La Gomera. This affordable guesthouse's 17 charming rooms each boast antique pieces, period features and verdant panoramas. A perfect base for days enjoying hiking and mountain biking.
- Buenavista Country Suites offers two superb suites with whitewashed walls and gorgeous art pieces in La Asomada. Family-run and very peaceful, it's a top B&B spot for romantic couples in Lanzarote. The mountain views are magical, as is the sense of seclusion.
- Eco Finca De Arrieta is a fabulously friendly eco-retreat in Lanzarote, made up of a collection of yurts and villas set within mango, banana and lime groves. Just 300 metres from a sandy beach, it's a favourite for trips with friends and family. Collect eggs from the hens for breakfast with the little ones, who will also love the play area and sunken trampoline.
- Hotel Rural Las Calas in Gran Canaria, has just six guest rooms. Intimate and tranquil, it's an idyllic mountain retreat for romantics and outdoorsy travellers. Explore quiet trails on foot, by bicycle or on horseback, before kicking back on shaded terraces or in laid-back rooms with exposed stone walls. A charming, timeless little haven.
For a Remote Clifftop Hideaway
- Hotel Balneario Pozo de la Salud is a superb spa retreat set atop a dramatic cliff edge on the western coast of El Hierro. Hide away in absolute bliss, with a sauna, hot tub, Turkish bath and marvellous massages. The 22 guestrooms are modern and comfortable, perfect for unwinding after days of hiking and diving.
- Parador de El Hierro is an enchanting seaside hotel on the eastern side of the island, where you'll find 45 attractive rooms and suites, many with private balconies and panoramic Atlantic Ocean views. The restaurant specialises in mouth-watering regional cuisine, and the feel is laid-back and romantic.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Each of the Canary Islands have their own airports — Tenerife, the largest of the islands, has two. For La Gomera, consider flying into Tenerife's much larger airport, and taking a 35-minute ferry across to the island.
- It's wonderful to explore your Canary Island destination with the freedom of your own transport. Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Sunny and warm for much of the year, the Canary Islands are particularly popular during the summer months and school holidays. Travel outside these times for fewer crowds, better room rates and a more tranquil experience.
STILL NOT SURE?
Hotel Emblematico San Agustin Icod de Los Vinos (Icod de los Vinos) 8 rooms from AU$118Local exploring - Ideally positioned to explore the town on foot.Sights nearby - Visit the 16th century Church of San Marcos and admire the carvings and relics.Great walks - Take long walks in the picturesque surrounding countryside.Full of character
Hotel Rural Victoria La Orotava 14 rooms from AU$127Value chicLocal markets - Traditional fiestas of Corpus, with their carpets of flowers, the Baile de Magos and the romería of San Isidro.Great walks - Fantastic walking and hiking countryTraditional
Finca Marisa Tinajo, Lanzarote 5 rooms from AU$82Great walks - Excellent walking trails in the Montañas de Fuego Mountains.Sights nearby - Visit the Campesino Monument.Traditional
Cheerful, traditional B&B in the small village of Tinajo. The traditional rooms are spacious and comfortable and from the communal terrace there are great mountain views. Take a day trip to Timanfaya National Park or hire a bicycle and go to La Santa. An excellent low budget option. See More
Casa Rural Villa Lola Y Juan Haría, Lanzarote 6 rooms from AU$147Romantic Break - Offering a great deal more intimacy than the vast resort hotels of Lanzarote, it's great for a romantic break.Local exploring - This country-style hotel is perfect for exploring the lesser travelled North of Lanzarote.Local markets - Browse the Mercado Tradicional de Haría and pick up some souvenirs to bring home with you.Sights nearby - Explore the fascinating Jardín de Cactus.
Villa Lola Y Juan is a laid-back country hotel brimming with character and personality. The rooms exude an understated elegance with simple furnishings and tasteful artwork. Relax by the deluxe pool or visit nearby caves. A far cry from Lanzarote's resorts it's ideal for an intimate escape. See More
La Casa de Vegueta Las Palmas de Gran Canaria 3 rooms from AU$106Value chicDesigner - Most of the furniture is designed by a renowned local architectSights nearby - Located in the heart of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria's Old TownLocal markets - 5 mins walk from the Vegueta food market
Hotel Rural Las Calas San Mateo, Gran Canaria 6 rooms from AU$127ContemporaryLocal exploringCountry EscapeActive HolidayRecommended by - I Escape, Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
Mahoh Villaverde, Fuerteventura 9 rooms from AU$127Country Escape - Tucked away in the countryside, away from all the mega seaside resorts, with stunning views of the mountainsFull of character - With exposed stone walls and plenty of antiquesGreat walks - This rugged landscape offers great walking, especially in the nearby Malpais de la ArenaSights nearby - Visit the charming fishing town of El Cotillo, six miles from the hotel
Mahoh is a traditional 19th century Canarian house, awash with heritage and charm. The rooms are dominated by great antique beds and are given added character from their exposed stone walls. Sample typical Canarian food at the hotel's restaurant. A delighful, low-cost option. See More
Barcelo Castillo Beach Resort Caleta de Fuste 382 rooms from AU$189Families - Packed with sports facilities, as well as a kids club and large family rooms it's a perfect getaway for all the family.Beach Life - Just two minutes walk from the beach, with access to a whole load of watersports facilities.Tennis - Enjoy a game of tennis on one of the hotel's multiple courts.Fishing - Fishing trips can be organised by the hotel and are a great way to explore the coast.
An excellent seaside resort on the east coast of Fuerteventura. Brimming with facilities, the hotel has plush rooms, several restaurants, three swimming pools and an onsite theatre. Packed with activities and large suites, it's perfect for a family holiday to Fuerteventura. See More
Hotel Rural Ibo Alfaro Hermigua, La Gomera 17 rooms from AU$122Country Escape - This rural retreat offers startling views from rooms and terraces, and there is plenty of gorgeous countryside to be explored.Sights nearby - Wander through the historic village of Hermigua and be sure to visit the remarkable "Santo Domingo" church.Great walks - Discover the picturesque surrounding valley on long rambling walks.Full of characterRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
A traditional property commanding epic views of the Hermigua valley. Each of the 17 individually styled rooms has its own charm; think quaint prints, antique furniture and original features. The perfect spot to start out on a days hiking. Ideal for those in search of complete tranquility. See More
Hotel Gran Rey Valle Gran Rey, La Gomera 99 rooms from AU$130Local exploring - Located right on the beachfront, it's perfect for exploring the sleepy town of La Puntilla and the surrounding coastline.Great walks - Make the most of the great walking trails in the nearby Parque Nacional de Garajonay.Local markets - Explore the local market at La Puntilla, and pick up some yummy regional treats.Tennis - Enjoy a relaxed game of tennis on the hotel's private court.
Hugging the west coast shoreline of La Gomera, Hotel Gran Rey exudes serenity and tranquility. With stunning ocean views, comfortable rooms and two swimming pools, it's perfect for a romantic break. Enjoy cocktails at the pool bar and delicious Canarian cuisine. A soothing, seaside gem. See More
Hotel San Telmo Santa Cruz de la Palma, La Palma 8 rooms from AU$122Local exploring - A small boutique hotel, perfectly placed for exploring the colonial history of Santa Cruz de La Palma.Local markets - Explore the local markets of Santa Cruz de La Palma and pick up some treats to bring home with you.Sailing - The ideal port of call for a sailing trip around La Palma.Sights nearby - Three miles from the fantastic Observatorio Astrofísico.
Hotel Benahoare Los Llanos, La Palma 18 rooms from AU$122Local exploring - Perfectly placed for exploring Los Llanos de Aridane and the surrounding valleys.Surfing - Great surfing on the nearby dark, lava sand beaches of La Palma.Great walks - Great walking routes in Los Tilos forest, a UNESCO Biosphere.Sights nearby - Visit the fascinating Observatorio Astrofísico.
Hotel Balneario Pozo de la Salud Frontera, El Hierro 22 rooms from AU$122Hideaway - With an end-of-the-world feel, it's perfect for a hideaway holiday on a cliff edge!Local exploring - The ideal base for exploring the remote and untrodden island of El Hierro.Great walks - Make the most of the stunning walks along the surrounding cliff coastline.Birdwatching - Great for observing El Hierro's cliff bird population.
With the raw energy of the ocean crashing into the nearby cliffs, it's an atmospheric spot for a modern hotel on El Hierro. The rooms are pleasant and spacious, affording great sea views. Relax in the spa or recline by one of the pools. Perfect for people looking for that edge of the world feel. See More
Parador de El Hierro Villa de Valverde, El Hierro 45 rooms from AU$170Hideaway - Set directly on a beach at the foot of cliffs, is this perfect hideaway spot, on an island once considered the end of the world.Total relaxation - Unwind on this tiny, tropical island of El Hierro, with sauna, hot tubs and massages available.Diving - Diving can be arranged by the hotel and is a great way to explore the island from another perspective!Great walks - Guests will love exploring the rugged coastline, or wandering towards the mountains.