Search the best hotels in Selcuk
Though Selcuk sits beside the ancient city of Ephesus - one of the most popular tourist attractions in Turkey - the town is often overlooked by tour companies. However, Selcuk is a fascinating and beautiful place in itself: steeped in history, teeming with museums and restaurants, and an ancient aqueduct inhabited by storks, it is the perfect place to go for history-buffs intent on soaking themselves in the noble ruins and dust of antiquity. There's plenty to do here from visiting an ancient theatre to exploring the perfectly preserved frescoed terraced houses of the super rich of the ancient world or seeing for yourself the (alleged) house of the Virgin Mary. The best places to stay in Selcuk are small, quaint and rustic, promising sanctuary and intimacy.
What not to miss
- Visit the house where the Virgin Mary allegedly lived after the death of her son.
- Find solace in St. John's Basilica, the final resting place of the gospel writer.
- Immerse yourself in ancient history at the Ephesus Museum.
- Walk down the main street of Ephesus - Curetes.
- Check out the Cave of the Seven Sleepers. Legend has it that a group of young men, persecuted for their Christian beliefs, fled to the cave and fell asleep; on the orders of the State, the cave was sealed for 300 years, and 300 years later, they emerged, surprised to find Christianity as the state religion.
- Head to the Great Theatre, built in the Hellenistic 3rd century BCE.
Steeped in history and full of beauty, Selcuk is the quintessential destination for history lovers. Browse through our collection of the best places to stay in Selcuk to start planning your trip.
The best places to stay in Selcuk
- Markiz Konaklari is a lovely traditional Turkish country house. Rustic chic rooms have four-poster beds, stone walls and wooden beams. Gorgeous gardens, terraces, and a cosy restaurant. Total relaxation with no fuss.
- Gullu Konak is a beautiful country house in a tranquil village. Rustic chic bedrooms are all individually decorated and named after roses in the garden. Expect cosy living areas, a traditional restaurant, and stunning gardens. A lovely country escape.
- Naz Han is a small hotel with a roof terrace and leafy courtyard in the heart of Selcuk's old quarter. Traditional fabrics and artefacts bring colour to whitewashed rooms with exposed stone. Home cooked food served is in the courtyard. A well priced property to explore the local area.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- The best time to go is during September when you will miss the heaving crowds of tourists and the temperature averages at around 17 degrees.
- Fly to Adnan Menderes Airport in Izmir (55km away) and from the airport you can get a (rather packed) train to Selcuk.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay on the Turkish Aegean Coast
- or browse through all our option in Turkey
- or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Selcuk
Best Hotels in Selcuk
Amazon Petite Palace No:33 Selcuk 10 rooms from AU$70Local exploring - Located in the heart of Selcuk and ancient Ephesus with many of the sights within walking distanceSights nearby - Visit the Ephesus ruins, which includes the remains of a temple which was one of the Seven Wonders of the ancient worldRestaurant - Serving traditional Turkish cuisineSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
A charming traditional property set in the heart of historic Selcuk. Characterful rooms feature wooden floors, beamed ceilings and exposed brickwork. Set around a courtyard that houses a small pool (ideal for a post sightseeing dip) this is a friendly and well-priced base for exploring the area. See More
Naz Han Selcuk (1044 Sokak) 12 rooms from AU$114Local exploring - Relaxed and well located, just steps away from St. John's Basilica in Selçuk with a shuttle service to the famed Ephesus.Sights nearby - Explore Ephesus the trade centre of the ancient world.Restaurant - Home style cooking.Traditional
Quaint small hotel with roof terrace and leafy courtyard in the heart of Selcuk's old quarter. Traditional fabrics and artefacts bring colour to white washed rooms with exposed stone. Home cooked food served in the courtyard. A well priced property to explore the local area. See More
Kalehan Hotel Selcuk 45 rooms from AU$108Local exploring - Surrounded by a host of archealogical monuments this is the perfect base for a cultural adventureGreat walks - Take a 3km stroll from the hotel to Ephesus, one of the largest libraries of the ancient WorldSights nearby - Grand Fortress of Selcuk is walking distance from the propertySwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
A charming family-run hotel offering a spectacular location with a backdrop of the Grand Fortress of Selcuk. Cosy rooms have a traditional feel with antiques and the original features remaining. Breakfast is an indulgent affair and there is a large pool to unwind besides after a day's sightseeing. See More
Nisanyan Houses Selcuk 20 rooms from AU$147Local exploring - Situated just 10 minutes from Ephesus (one of Turkey's most famous sights)Foodies - Expect 'mon and pop' cooking in the widely celebrated restaurantSights nearby - Visit the ruins of Ephesus which dates back to 6000 b.c. and is just 10 minutes from the hotelSpa - The property has an authentic Turkish Bath - treat yourself to cleansing and massage
A collection of village houses artfully transformed into a charming hotel in the village of Sirince. Each house offers a secluded stay and all are individually designed. Original features remain but the feel is fresh and contemporary. A homely, yet stylish, base to explore this historic region. See More
Markiz Konaklari Selcuk 8 rooms from AU$148Country EscapeSights nearby - Located in the centre of Sirince, ideal if you want to visit EphesusViews - Lovely views over the rooftops of SirinceRestaurant - Specialising in authentic Turkish dishes
Stonehouse Byipek Selcuk (Selçuk) 8 rooms from AU$179Families - A child friendly property offering rooms for families and there's a playground in the garden for little onesLocal exploring - Set in an historic village with numerous archealogical sights to view in the area including nearby Ephesus.Sights nearby - Visit the famed ruins of Ephesus dating back to 6000 b.c.Restaurant - The restaurant serves typically Aegean cuisine
A picturesque traditional house set in a large garden within the historic village of Şirince. Interiors are delightfully quaint with antiques, fireplaces, exposed beams and traditional fabrics. A large pool lies within the grounds as does an amphitheatre and a scattering of hammocks. Charming! See More
Güllü Konak Selcuk 12 rooms from AU$220Country EscapeViews - Great views from hotelRestaurant - Serving regional specialitiesSights nearby - Just 7km from Ephesus