Search the best hotels in Stirlingshire
Beautiful Stirlingshire is a hugely attractive destination for outdoor enthusiasts keen to explore Scotland’s striking landscapes, as well as to discover historic Stirling. There is a small range of charming country house hotels and rural B&Bs in the area, suitable for a whole host of budgets and areas of interest. Our pick of the best places to stay in Stirlingshire includes some gorgeous hideaways nestled amidst spectacular scenery, ideal for a Scottish escape.
Stirling itself is famed for its impressive Old Town and well-preserved fortified castle set atop an extinct volcano — recently voted one of the UK’s top visitor attractions. Once home to Mary, Queen of Scots, Stirling Castle offers a fascinating chance to step back in time, a feeling that continues along the cobbled streets of the Old Town, too, which are lined with medieval buildings. Don’t miss the imposing Gothic monument to folk hero William Wallace, who had one of his great victories at Stirling Old Bridge.
The area around Stirling is filled with places of historic interest. Bannockburn, site of one of Robert the Bruce’s military triumphs over the English during the First War of Scottish Independence is close by, as is the monument to the 1746 Battle of Falkirk Muir, in which the Jacobites defeated Henry Hawley’s government forces.
Often considered the gateway to the Highlands, Stirlingshire boasts stacks of striking scenery, too. Stroll along the banks of Loch Lomond, clamber up Ben Lomond — Stirlingshire’s highest peak — admire the Carron Valley Reservoir and enjoy hiking or birdwatching in the Trossachs National Park or the Campsie Fells. Visitors to Stirlingshire are also well-placed to experience many of Scotland’s most famous spots, with the lively cultural cities of Edinburgh and Glasgow, as well as pretty St Andrews, just an hour’s drive from Stirling.
Whether you’re an avid history buff, an eager golfer, happy hiker, kayaker, birdwatcher or keen on fishing, there’s no shortage of activities to absorb nature lovers in the region. Most of the best places to stay in Stirlingshire are old historic houses — now elegant hotels or intimate B&Bs — set in peaceful rural surroundings and offering the perfect opportunity to soak up the area’s many wonders.
The Best Places to Stay in Stirlingshire
For a rural escape
- Lake of Menteith Hotel is a beautiful New England-inspired country hideaway facing Scotland’s only lake, with superb views over the Trossachs National Park. Pick this place for pretty floral bedrooms, an award-winning restaurant, and lots of rambling, hiking and bird-watching. One for outdoor explorers in search of a view.
- Powis House is a gorgeous three-bedroom B&B in a Georgian house set amidst lovely grounds just a few miles north-east of Stirling. Expect friendly owner-managers, cosy traditional bedrooms and heaps of recommendations for picturesque walks across the Central Belt and the Ochil Hills. Also a great base if you’re looking to discover historic Stirling.
- Cromlix is a glamorous country house hotel owned by the famed Andy Murray. Rooms are elegant and comfortable, but it’s the communal areas which really shine. Imagine sipping cocktails whilst perched on lime green or deep blue sofas in the striking bar and savouring terrific food at the restaurant, managed by Chez Roux. Activities include tennis courts — with tennis coaching — trout fishing on the hotel loch, and exploring the 34 acres of gardens. Romantic, intimate and wonderfully luxurious.
For a holiday cottage
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Edinburgh International Airport and hop aboard a bus or train to Stirling, or travel to Glasgow Airport, and catch a bus into Glasgow before continuing to Stirling by bus or train. Either route should take less than 1.5 hours.
- There are also regular trains from London to Stirling via Edinburgh, and the journey takes around 5.5 hours.
- Alternatively, contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car. Stirlingshire is a wonderful region to explore by road, and having your own transport gives you the most flexibility.
- Visit between May and September for long days and warmer temperatures (peaking at around 22°C in July). This is still Scotland, though: bring your raincoat and wellies if you plan to explore, but there’s plenty of potential for beautiful sunny days and the drizzly moments make country house hotels all the more cosy.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Edinburgh.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Scotland.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Stirlingshire
Best Hotels in Stirlingshire
Nether Glenny Cottages Port of Menteith, Stirlingshire 4 rooms from AU$188Romantic Break - Book one of the secluded cottages with an outdoor hot tub for the perfect setting for romanceBack to Nature - Surrounded by the Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park, this is a true escape to natureGreat walks - There are miles of walking trails to explore starting straight from the propertyMinimum Stay - Three or four night minimum stay except low season when 2 nights may be possible
Four secluded and luxurious cottages are set in a remote and scenic setting in Trossachs National Park. Interiors have a scandi-chic feel with wood-burning stoves, plenty of wood, and smart kitchens. The best have romantic outdoor hot tubs. Homemade dishes are offered. A perfect rural hideaway. See More
Powis House Stirling 3 rooms from AU$207Country Escape - A stunning country house set in mature gardens with numerous country pursuits in the area.Sights nearby - Visit the National Wallace Monument and trace the story of William Wallace.Secluded setting - For escaping.Full of characterRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide
An intimate, owner-managed, B&B boasting a secluded and beautiful setting. Traditionally dressed rooms feature open fireplaces, polished parquet floors and cast iron beds. Indulgent breakfasts are served in the elegant dining room. The perfect destination for a walking holiday or rural hideaway. See More
Victoria Square Stirling 10 rooms from AU$218Local exploring - From historic Stirling to the surrounding national parks, there is plenty of culture and activities to explore locallyGreat walks - With the Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park nearby, there are miles of trails whether you want an amble or a hikeSights nearby - Take a tour of Stirling Castle or climb the Wallace MonumentRestaurant - British fine dining at the Orangery RestaurantRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide
An elegant small hotel and restaurant set in historic Stirling. Beautifully styled rooms are traditionally dressed with antiques, patterned wallpaper, and sash windows. A fine dining restaurant serves innovative British cuisine. With an adult atmosphere, this is ideal for a couples' escape. See More
Lake of Menteith Hotel Stirling, Stirlingshire 17 rooms from AU$259Country Escape - A remarkable lake side property in gorgeous rural Scottish countryside, observe the high diving osprey and migrating wildfowl.Sights nearby - The nearby Stirling Castle makes for a great family day out.Great walks - Hike through the beautiful forests of The Trossachs.Views - Great views from hotel
Cromlix Nr Dunblane, Stirlingshire 15 rooms from AU$470Country HouseRestaurant - Superb food in the Chez Roux conservatory restaurant with open kitchen.Fishing - Trout fishing in the hotel's lochTennis - Two courts on siteRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, CN Traveller