Search the best hotels in Indiana
From the forested uplands of Hoosier to the Ohio River, from the wide dunes of Lake Michigan to the rolling green fields of Prophetstown State Park, Indiana is a beautiful and mesmerising US state. Small and sparsely populated, it is a wonderful place to get-away-from-it-all and unwind amongst nature, ideal for hikers, bikers and history-lovers. With cities like Indianopolis boasting a great many museums, zoos and art galleries, quaint small towns like Corydon offering boat rides through ancient caverns, and the many lakes perfectly suited to fishing, sailing and sunbathing, there's a treasure trove of things-to-do. Some of our collection of the best places to stay in Indiana are right in the heart of Indianopolis, the capital city, whilst we've found others in Bloomington and an old inn that oozes Great Gatsby style.
Where to stay - which town/area?
- Indianopolis, the bustling capital city, is home to a handful of excellent art galleries, museums and a zoo. The gateway to the White River State Park, it's a hip cosmopolitan commmunity right in the heart of an enchanting landscape. This is also where you need to stay if you've come for the Indy 500 - the world's oldest major car race.
- Bloomington is a bustling little city south west of Indiana. It's home to the prestigious Indiana University and there's a burgeoning foodie scene with plenty of great restaurants. Stay here for a thriving arts programme and the great outdoors.
- Northern Indiana is where to come for historic towns and a rural landscape that is populated by a good number of Amish communities.
A great place to go for hikers, bikers and culture-vultures, the state will not disappoint whatever your reason for visiting. Use our guide to the best places to stay in Indiana and start planning your trip.
The best places to stay in Indiana
- Alexander Hotel features striking, contemporary decor and rooms on the top floors offer vibrant city views over Indianapolis. There are two in-house restaurants and a bar. Long stay facilities are available in residential style suites. Ideal for both business and leisure travellers.
- Conrad Indianapolis is a luxury giant in this vibrant city. Smartly designed suites offer reams of space and chic modern style. Functioning both as a hotel and an art gallery you can view works by Picasso or Dali before heading to the bar for a cocktail. The fine-dining restaurant is equally impressive.
- Ironworks Hotel is a an exciting new arrival on the Indianapolis scene. A huge complex with generously proportioned rooms complete with all the mod cons you would expect, and a design style that will pleasantly surprise. With three restaurants there is something for everyone.
- Graduate Bloomington is a smart, yet lighthearted, hotel inspired by nearby Virginia University. Rooms include beds with wood-panelled backdrops and large wooden desks set against light hues and simply patterned fabrics. Plus there's a lobby cafe and bikes to borrow. Superb!
- Grand Street Inn is an iconic and central establishment. Rooms are individually designed - some have an old-world elegance, others feel more contemporary. The wrap-around porch is perfect for unwinding with a good book. A charming stay.
For an Historic inn
- Charley Creek Inn is a striking Georgian building in Wabash, that's been meticulously refurbished to give a feel of 1920s elegance. Designed for luxury, rooms are decorated in terracotta tones and feature original hardwood floors; the best have four poster beds. Dining is an equally elegant affair. A romantic choice.
For an apartment or villa
- Check out our partner Booking.com for their self-catering accomodations in the nearby area.
- Fly to Indianopolis Airport.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
- The winters are cold; the summers are wet and hot! Best time to visit is between June and August, when the temperature ranges between 17 and 29 degrees celsius.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Indiana
New Harmony Inn Indiana 90 rooms from AU$101
A resort and conference hotel located in a quiet town in Louisiana. Bright rooms are simply styled with floor to ceiling windows leading out on to the garden. Boasting a spa, two pools, and an array of activities there is plenty to keep busy with here. A setting designed to recuperate and recharge.Business meetings - Specialising in corporate meetings the hotels has numerous conference rooms and is able to cater for up to 400 peopleWeddings - A romantic setting for a wedding with staff who are very experienced at organising eventsGreat walks - Take long scenic walks along the marked trailsSwimming Pool - Indoor pool
Graduate Bloomington Bloomington 150 rooms from AU$139
Inspired by its neighbouring academic institute (Indiana University) this is a smart, yet lighthearted, hotel. Rooms include beds with wood-panelled backdrops, large wooden desks set alongside light hues and simply patterned fabrics. Plus there's a lobby cafe and bikes to borrow. Superb!Local exploring - Located by Indiana University making this perfect for visitors to the campus but also well placed for exploring the cityCity Style - A stylish hotel that's cleverly used university inspired design to smart effectSights nearby - Astrological enthusiasts should make a trip to the nearby Kirkwood ObservatoryGreat walks - Take a scenic walk around Griffy Lake Nature ReserveRecommended by - Tablet
Grant Street Inn Bloomington 40 rooms from AU$233
Comprising a whole block, made up of five properties, Grant Street Inn is an iconic and central establishment. Rooms are individually designed - some have an old-world elegance, others feel more contemporary. The wrap-around porch is perfect for unwinding with a good book. A charming stay.Local exploring - Ideally positioned close to Indiana University, Bloomington's entertainment and arts district and many state parks and lakesFishing - A number of nearby lakes allow fishing including Griffey Lake and Lake MonroeLocal markets - Sample local produce at the buzzing Saturday Farmers MarketGreat walks - Take a hike in the scenic Hoosier National Park
Charley Creek Inn IN, Indiana 30 rooms from AU$248
A striking Georgian building that's been meticulously refurbished to give a feel of 1920s elegance. Designed for luxury, rooms are decorated in terracotta tones and feature original hardwood floors; the best have four poster beds. Dining is an equally elegant affair. A romantic choice.Romantic Break - Experience some old-world luxury with your loved one in this hotel that channels Great Gatsby styleGreat walks - Take a stroll through the scenic Paradise Spring Historical ParkFull of characterRomantic - Good for couples.
Conrad Indianapolis Indianapolis (IN) 247 rooms from AU$286
A luxury giant in this vibrant city. Smartly designed suites offer reams of space and chic modern style. Functioning both as a hotel and an art gallery you can view works by Picasso or Dali before heading to the bar for a cocktail. The fine-dining restaurant is equally impressive.Artworks - The hotel's own gallery includes works by Picasso, Warhol and Dali. This property is bound to please any art connoisseurCity Style - Featuring luxury suites, renowned artworks, a spoiling spa and fine-dining restaurant, this hotel has reams of styleSpa - Evan Todd Spa and Salon offers a wide range of body and hair treatements using AVEDA productsSights nearby - Visit the Indiana State Capitol and admire the majestic architecture
Alexander Hotel Indianapolis (IN) 209 rooms from AU$292
Striking, contemporary decor - rooms on the top floors offer vibrant city views. Includes two in-house restaurants and a bar. Long stay facilities available in residential style suites. High-speed internet and 24-hr room service. Ideal for both business and leisure travellers.Local exploring - Conveniently located in the downtown area, close to important sitesFamilies - Suites available with 2 bedrooms including full kitchensCity Style - Artfully designed rooms with all modern amenitiesLively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Tablet
Ironworks Hotel Indianapolis (IN) 120 rooms from AU$306
This new build industrial style hotel is an exciting new arrival on the Indianapolis scene. A huge complex with generously proportioned rooms complete with all the mod cons you would expect, and a design flare that will pleasantly surprise. With three restaurants there is something for everyone.City Style - Hands-down the most stylish hotel in town, an industrial style new build filled with exposed pipes and salvaged barn woodSights nearby - The Ruoff Home Mortgage Music Center, an outdoor amphitheater that holds a rotation of musical events throughout the yearRomantic - Good for couples.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Tablet