L'Isle sur La Sorgue
Search the best hotels in L'Isle sur La Sorgue
About L'Isle sur La Sorgue
South-east of Avignon, the pretty little town of L’Isle sur la Sorgue lies on the River Sorgue in the Vaucluse region. Dubbed ‘Venice of the Comtat’ due to its many canals, the town has a fascinating history of fishing and milling. Nowadays, however, it has gained famed as the biggest antiques hub in France outside Paris. With both intimate B&Bs and restaurants-with-rooms clustered close to the old centre, L’Isle sur la Sorgue is a wonderful destination for couples, friends and families. Popular amongst antique-hunters and art lovers, the best places to stay in L’Isle sur la Sorgue boast long and curious histories of their own.
L’Isle sur la Sorgue has played host to a weekly antiques market since 1596, and you’ll find over 300 stalls to peruse on Sundays, along with the many shops and galleries which line the streets of the town itself. Pop into La Collegiale Notre Dame des Anges, the town’s Baroque masterpiece of a church, visit the Fondation Villa Datris’ extensive art collections, and feast on local wine and seasonal produce in restaurants and cafés aplenty.
Expert dealers to flock to the city during the annual International Antiques Fair at Easter and in August — expect the best places to stay in L’Isle sur la Sorgue to book up quickly at those times!
The Best Places to Stay in L'Isle sur la Sorgue
For an Intimate B&B
- B&B Artishow is a restored 15th-century townhouse with slick modern interiors, an indoor swimming pool and a rooftop hot tub. Each of the five suites has been individually decorated, and guests are offered breakfasts as well as access to a shared kitchen. Great fun for couples or friends.
- La Maison sur la Sorgue has just four classic suites, each furnished with antique pieces and heaps of charm. There's a lovely garden, pool and courtyard, and three-course breakfasts are very special. A boutique haven in an 18th-century residence.
- La Prévôté began life as a 17th-century convent, and has since been tastefully renovated to offer five guestrooms and a gourmet restaurant. Specialising in French and Mediterranean cuisine, the courtyard eatery is a foodie favourite, with a particularly delicious evening tasting menu. A real treat.
- Grand Hotel Henri is a sophisticated historic property near the heart of town. Think chic French style in 17 sumputous rooms, and evenings of champagne at the hotel bar, followed by fine dining delights at Chef Olivier Bouzon's Le Petit Henri restaurant. Luxurious refinement.
For a Rural Escape
- Hotel du Poète promises an elegant escape in a family-run former mill to the east of town, in the village of Fontaine-de-Vaucluse. A delightful hotel with an intimate feel, lovely gardens and a refreshing swimming pool. Great for keen walkers, wine lovers and cyclists.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Avignon-Provence Airport, 40 minutes' drive away, or to Marseille-Provence Airport, 50 minutes from L'Isle sur la Sorgue.
- Alternatively, catch the Eurostar from London — you'll be in Avignon in under six hours, and it's just 40 minutes onwards from there.
- Provence is brilliant for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- In the path of the famed Mistral wind, L'Isle sur la Sorgue is clear and sunny throughout much of the year. The heat hits its peak between June and September, averaging at around 28°C. Come during the spring for cooler weather and a quieter atmosphere, or in full summer to see Provence in bloom. Easter and August are especially busy.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Avignon.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Provence.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in L'Isle sur La Sorgue
Best Hotels in L'Isle sur La Sorgue
Hotel du Poete L'Isle sur La Sorgue (Fontaine de Vaucluse) 24 rooms from CA$198Country Escape - The vineyards, colourful landscapes, and relaxed way of life has charmed so many artists and authors: Cézanne, Van Gogh, GionoActive Holiday - There's plenty to do locally for those who want to keep active including hiking, cycling, golf, and kayakingFull of character - Set in a former water mill which has been elegantly converted yet still keeps much of its original charmTotal relaxation - A quiet hideaway complete with a hot tub, pool for lounging besides, and pretty parkland
Nestled in an enchanting village this former water mill is a delightful hotel. It has a wonderfully intimate feel and the elegant, sophisticated rooms have a traditional Provençal ambience. Listen to the river in the lovely garden, by the pool or in the hot tub and bask in the tranquillity. See More
La Prevote L'Isle sur La Sorgue 5 rooms from CA$219Foodies - Sample gastronomic French and Mediterranean cuisine in the restaurant that is the real hub of the propertyBoutique - With just five rooms, chic design, and a gourmet restaurant — this boutique has alot going for itLocal exploring - From outdoor persuits to antique shops located down cobbled streets — a charming stayFull of character - Set in a former 17th century convent, this property has bags of character
An intimate restaurant with rooms set in an old 17th-century convent. Its tastefully decorated rooms feature unique period furniture and soft furnishings. In the evening, sit out in courtyard and enjoy a gastronomic dinner. Perfectly placed to explore the quaint beauty of Isle-sur-la-Sorgue. See More
Grand Hotel Henri L'Isle sur La Sorgue (1 Cours René Char) 17 rooms from CA$234Hotel Entertainment - Start your evening with a glass of champagne at the hotel bar, followed by a spoiling array of culinary treats on the terraceRomantic Break - An enchanting and romantic spot, with sumptuous suites, elegant interiors, great food and pampering serviceFoodies - The on site restaurant has gained critical acclaim for its fine French cuisineElegant - Classic French chic with soft colours, wall mouldings, and antiques
A historic hotel located in the centre of L'Isle Sur la Sorgue, oozing timeless elegance and sophistication. The rooms epitomise French chic - decorated in soft colours, chandeliers and antique furnishings. The courtyard restaurant serves sophisticated regional cuisine. An elegant stay. See More
La Maison sur la Sorgue L'Isle sur La Sorgue 8 rooms from CA$483Local exploring - The hotel will happily organise guided walking tours around the town to allowing you to soak up the rich historyArtworks - There is an on site art gallery and shop which stocks designer interior pieces from porcelain to furnitureTotal relaxation - Cycle thorugh the picturesque streets, tour the famed vineyards or simply relax by the poolLocal markets - There is a world renowned Sunday Antiques Market nearby that is a real must visitRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
An 18th century mansion turned boutique hotel, in picturesque L'Isle sur la Sorgue. The four large, tasteful suites come with antique furnishings, chic en suites, a lovely garden and a pool. The breakfast is divine and can be taken in bed listening to the birds' chirp, true heaven. See More
B&B Artishow L'Isle sur La Sorgue (Isle-sur-la-Sorgue) 5 rooms from CA$483Romantic Break - Sip on a drink in the rooftop hot tub while you soak up the panoramic views — utter blissChic - Expect chic vibrant design set against characterful original features — a stylish stayLocal exploring - Explore the gorgeous town of Isle de la Sorgue and take long walks alongside its canalsOther Activities - Spend a leisurely afternoon relaxing by the swimming pool and working on your tan
A beautifully renovated 15th century townhouse, with a rooftop hot tub overlooking the charming village. Each quirky and artistic room has its own individual style. The perfect location to go off and explore Isle de la Sorgue's local markets and its picturesque canals. See More