Search the best hotels in Malcesine
Malcesine is one of Lake Garda's best loved towns with its stunning Castello Scaligero overlooking the water, and Monte Baldo to the rear (you mustn't miss the restaurant at the top with its spectacular views!). Our pick of the best places to stay in Malcesine includes properties with panoramically jaw-dropping views, plus a collection of charming villas turned friendly guesthouses, chic B&Bs, and a contemporary, family-friendly waterfront hotel — with its own private beach. It's an eclectic bunch and has plenty to suit most tastes and budgets.
Malcesine’s fans cite the town’s narrow, medieval streets (unspoiled due to the difficulty of developing anything much in the narrow gap between the mountains and the lake) and its pretty beaches, especially Val di Sogno, as more reasons to adore it above other Lake Garda charmers. They also rate the proximity to the Dolomites, which means that it's a good base for paragliders, sailors, water-skiers, climbers, mountain bikers, golfers etc. etc. etc., and in the winter skiers.
One of the best places to stay in Malcesine, as far as our Gurus are concerned, is right beside the Castello Scaligero in the historic part of town, its rooms overlooking tiled rooftops and window boxes filled with bright geraniums. Built in the 14th Century the castello is an exciting place to explore with winding tunnels and battlements and a high tower, which you can climb for fantastic views of the lake, plus a hall dedicated to Gothe’s art. Once you’ve visited the castle, explored the narrow streets, and relaxed on the beaches, don't forget to take a trip up Monte Baldo (there's a cable car if you can't face the hike or hire mountain bikes at the bottom, take them up in the cable car and then ride them down!)
The Best Places to Stay in Malcesine
For the View
- The Bellevue San Lorenzo is a striking, Belle Epoque villa in beautiful, cypress-planted grounds, that stretch to the surrounding villas, which have now also become part of San Lorenzo. The main villa has the rooms our Gurus like best, with the best lake views, and proportions, but there are 52 rooms in the hotel now, all decorated with contemporary simplicity. Plus there’s a restaurant with a view, a pool with a view and a small spa and fitness centre, which also have wonderful views!
- Calling your property the Guesthouse Grand View creates quite a sense of anticipation, but the property does live up the name, with panoramic lake views from its hilltop location that definitely qualify as ‘grand’. And the infinity pool with a view is a memorable touch too. The guesthouse itself has been converted from a stone villa, with a contemporary bar and breakfast room extension. There are just five bedrooms, all simple, but stylish, and all with either a balcony or private terrace. No children allowed.
For Great Value
- The Hotel Castello is a small, contemporary hotel right on the edge of the lake, with just a small sandy beach and parasols between the grounds and the water. Inside are 36 rooms and suites, all decorated with contemporary style, the best with private balconies overlooking the lake. The restaurant is excellent, and has a very pleasant terrace, and there are places to sit in the garden too. The Hotel Castello would work well for some families, but the views make it a romantic choice too.
- Porto Vecchio 10 is a delightful B&B tucked away on the cobbled streets of Malcesine. It has just two rooms, which feature the area’s charming architectural features: exposed stone walls, wood beams, and wrought iron, but the furnishings are comfortable and contemporary.
Prefer a Self-catering Apartment or villa?
- Sometimes a villa or apartment is the best option if you're travelling in a larger group, so if you decide that you'd prefer a self catering option, check out our online booking partner, booking.com for some inspiration.
- Malcesine is on the eastern shore of Lake Garda, positioned between several international airports: Verona-Villafranca and Brescia-Montichiari. It’s also about 200kms from Venice Marco Polo airport or Milan’s Linate and Malpensa. Verona-Villafranca is closest, around an hour away by car, or about four hours by public transport. Brescia-Montichiari is about an hour and a half drive, but about the same by public transport.
- If you want to hire a car — which we strongly advise if want to explore further afield — we recommend you visit our online partner, Rentalcars.
- Malcesine is very popular in the summer months, so if you want to join the crowds at this time of year you’d be advised to book your hotel/s and restaurants early. The town is charming well into autumn and winter too, and spring is also very beautiful. May and June are a good compromise if you’re still hoping for warmth and sunshine, with temperatures reaching about 25°C, and September is similar, but with a different set of plants flowering.
Still not sure where to stay?
- You could expand your search to include all the best places to stay on Lake Garda?
- Consider including other local towns in your search like Torri del Benaco, Garda and Bardolino to the south or Riva del Garda or Arco to the north?
- You could also consider refining your search by the kind of accommodation you’re looking for, be it the best hotels with a view on Lake Garda, the best family hotels on Lake Garda or the best hotels on Lake Garda for foodies?
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly gurus for personalised advice.
Monthly Weather in Malcesine
Best Hotels in Malcesine
Hotel Castello Malcesine 36 rooms from CA$179Romantic Break - An idyllic lakeside setting complete with a romantic terrace restaurant, a perfect choice for a romantic holidayLocal exploring - Perfectly positioned to enjoy Lake Garda and just a stroll from the historical downtown areaSailing - Hire a boat and spend the day cruising across the lakeSights nearby - Visit the the ancient battlements of Castle Scaligero
A small contemporary hotel on the edge of Lake Garda. Contemporary chic rooms, some with private balconies overlooking the lake. Excellent restaurant and terrace and its own private pebble beach with deck chairs. A good value spot for a romantic holiday, family friendly too. See More
Guesthouse Grand View Malcesine (Lake Garda) 5 rooms from CA$205Romantic Break - With just five rooms, views to die for and no children allowed, this is perfect for romanceTotal relaxation - A charming off the beaten track location offers the chance to completely unwindHideaway - A lovely secluded spot in the hills above MalcesineGreat walks - There are paths from the property leading directly down to Lake Garda
Overlooking Lake Garda with fantastic views from its hillside location, this secluded rustic guesthouse is a relaxing spot, off the beaten track. Simple but stylish bedrooms have either a terrace or balcony for enjoying the views, plus there's an infinity pool in the pretty garden. See More
Porto Vecchio 10 Malcesine 2 rooms from CA$217Active Holiday - With the lake offering watersports and the mountains ideal for hikers, this is a perfect spot for active holidaymakersLocal exploring - Perfectly placed for exploring Malsecine and Lake GardaGreat walks - Superb walking in the nearby Monte Baldo range.Sights nearby - Five minutes walk from Castello Scaligero.
Set on the cobbled streets of Malcesine, Porto Vecchio 10 is a delightful, small B&B. The original townhouse brims with rejuvenated character and the rooms are cosy and comfortable. With Lake Garda on the doorstep, it's the perfect quiet spot for couples looking for a romantic holiday. See More
Bellevue San Lorenzo Malcesine 52 rooms from CA$290Total relaxation - This chic hideway is perfect spot to recharge, with Hammam, sauna and sleepy gardens overlooking the lake.Country Escape - Surrounded by beautiful gardens, sloping down to the shores of Lake Garda.Views - Wonderful views of Lake Garda.Great walks - Walk along the promenade to the picturesque Val di Sogno, a superb spot for lake bathing and water sports.
Popular belle epoque villa with lovely grounds overlooking the lake. Five Italian Villas with simple yet stylish rooms. Highlights include a restaurant with a view, outdoor pool, fitness centre and small relaxation spa. Good value for a stunning spot. See More