Search the best hotels in Alnwick
Alnwick is a historic ducal town - home to the Duke of Northumberland, who made his home in imposing Alnwick Castle. The castle is one of the town’s main sights, little changed since the 14th Century with some incredible artworks and a sumptuous interior. Much loved by location scouts - Alnwick Castle played Hogwarts in the first few Harry Potter films and appeared in Blackadder. Better still the castle gardens were planned by Capability Brown. The best places to stay in Alnwick are perfect bases for enjoying the town and countryside.
What Not To MIss
- As mentioned above, the castle is certainly a must-see spot in the town.
- As well as the castle grounds, Alnwick also has a beautiful garden, arranged around an impressive 120 jet fountain cascade.
- Alnwick also has another 4.8 hectares of other gardens, from the Ornamental Garden to the Rose Garden and even a garden for poisons.
- Immerse yourself in literature at England’s second largest second-hand book shop, Barter Books based in the old railway station.
- Or stretch your legs at the vast and tranquil Embleton Bay with miles of golden sand - there's even a ruined castle for visitors to see.
Our Guru’s list of the best places to stay in Alnwick also include some of the best places to stay around the town.
Best places to stay in Alnwick
- The Bondgate Boutique is a miniature Georgian town house converted into stylish, boutique accommodation with a smart, urban feel in the centre of historic Alnwick. Castle and gardens are on the door-step - it offers great value and is within strolling distance to pubs and restaurants.
For a remote escape
- The Thistleyhaugh is a remote converted farmhouse just south of Alnwick. It was built in the Georgian era and has an elegance you might not see from a more modern farm, but it’s still surrounded by farmland and the five rooms are great value, starting from £90 per night.
For the views
- The Joiners Arms is a family-friendly pub with five uniquely designed rooms. North of Alnwick, the Joiners Arms is close to the coast in an area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Inside you’ll find four-poster beds and exposed brickwork, outside are some wonderful views.
For an apartment or cottage
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday, don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a range of quaint properties, perfect for enjoying the lovely town and stunning countryside.
- Fly to Newcastle Airport located 54km (34 miles) from Alnwick with a numerous links to domestic and International destinations including Europe and North America.
- Catch a train to Alnmouth, only 4 miles from Alnwick with direct rail routes to London, Edinburgh and Newcastle amongst other destinations.
- If you want to rent a car to explore the vast unspoiled countryside - for prices visit our online partner, Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - for the warmest weather for enjoying the countryside and beaches, visit in summer from June to early September.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Alnwick,
- Alternatively, expand your search to include our recommendations in Northumberland or County Durham
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Alnwick
Best Hotels in Alnwick
Charlton Hall Alnwick (Northumberland) 22 rooms from CA$167Boutique - With its mix of traditional and contemporary plus a selection of quirky objets Charlton Hall ticks all the boutique boxesRomantic Break - With stunning interiors and a gorgeous rural location this a fabulous romantic boltholeWeddings - Charlton Hall is primed for hosting exclusive and extravagant weddings!Opulent
An opulent country hall turned luxury wedding venue/B&B just outside Alnwick. Individually designed suites both in the main house and additional outbuildings ooze contemporary style, yet merge beautifully with the original period details. A stunning property either for a romantic getaway or party. See More
The Whittling House Alnwick 10 rooms from CA$236Families - With a laidback feel, beaches on the doorstep, and even the dog welcome - this is perfect for a family breakCountry Escape - The lovely coastal setting, rural chic rooms, and fabulous restaurant make this an idyllic country staySights nearby - Alnwick Castle, UK’s second largest lived-in castle & home of Duke of Northumberland plus the setting of Harry Potter filmsRestaurant - Locally sourced seasonal British dishes are served in the restaurant
A restaurant with rooms set close to the beach in pretty Alnmouth. Rural chic rooms feature pastel hues, modern art, and stylish modern fabrics. The buzzing restaurant serves very good seasonal British dishes and there's a convivial bar too. A smart coastal stay suited to families or couples. See More
The Bondgate Boutique Alnwick (Northumberland) 7 rooms from CA$93Great walks - Alnwick Garden is within walking distance and pretty place to wander around.Sights nearby - The medieval Alnwick Castle is a must.Boutique
The Cookie Jar Alnwick 11 rooms from CA$270Great walks - The nearby coast has some beautiful beaches for a long walk.Sights nearby - Alwick Castle is just on the doorstep.Restaurant - Weekend Bistro.Full of character
The former Convent of Mercy now converted to a fabulous boutique hotel in the heart of Alnwick. Rooms are individually designed and have character with contemporary furnishings and fabrics. The garden with terrace and fire-pit is a great place to relax. Excellent cuisine served in the weekend Bistro See More