The 11 Best Luxury Hotels in Washington DC
Washington DC is the beating heart of American politics, business and culture - a city steeped in history and a real must-visit. Luxury is somewhat synonymous with this city and, therefore, it is hardly surprising that there is a wide range of luxury hotels to choose from. Our hotel experts have compiled a collection of the best luxury hotels in Washington DC to make booking your next stay a hassle-free task. From grand Neo-classical buildings to urban cool crashpads, there is something for all tastes here. So why not browse through our collection to start planning your stay?
For classic luxury
- Four Seasons Washington DC is a glitzy and sophisticated stay filled with VIP guests. One of Washington's best classic luxury hotels, it prizes comfort and class above everything else: cream-white, contemporary, light-filled rooms, an enormous indoor pool, pampering spa, brooding bar and upmarket fine-dining in the restaurant.
For urban cool
- A grand neoclassical beauty in the heart of the city, Jefferson Hotel combines old-world sophistication with contemporary comforts. History buffs will love the swirling marble staircase and the huge collection of original framed letters written by Thomas Jefferson. However, it's the Michelin-star restaurant and the spoiling in-house spa - that make this a truly luxurious choice
- Riggs, once a grand neoclassical bank, now renovated into an artsy and uber-cool hotel does luxury very well. Expect marble columns, fireplaces, and chandeliers standing alongside bold colourful furnishings. Better yet, it boasts one of the most creative cocktail bars around, a classy bistro and even chic rooftop terrace.
- The Line DC is possibly Washington DC's most unique luxury hotel. Here's why: it's a renovated neoclassical church with a 60ft vaulted ceiling, original pews and dusty hymnals - all given an artsy makeover. If that's not enough, consider the vintage-chic rooms, the cafe, cocktail bar, rooftop areas or the 4 world-class restaurants. A real trendsetter.
- Smart and refined, Ritz Carlton Washington DC boasts spacious and contemporary rooms, a creative cocktail bar, and slick service geared towards the discerning traveller. With a fine-dining bistro and an expansive spa, this is a truly indulgent stay.
For a landmark hotel
- On the banks of the Potomac River, The Watergate is like a hotel from the future. One of Washington DC's most famous luxury hotels (etched into legend by its association with the downfall of the Nixon administration) it's primed for luxury. Complete with a whiskey bar, rooftop bar, glitzy restaurant, and uber-slick rooms affording truly astounding views.
- Rosewood Washington DC is undoubtedly one of the best luxury family hotels in Washington DC. In its leafy riverside setting, this sleek and modern hotel offers everything from babysitting services, cots and teddy bears, to baby skincare products and kids menus in the Grill Room restaurant. Plus, a rooftop infinity pool, extensive spa, swanky bar and elegant rooms will please the adults.
- The Hay-Adams is one of Washington DC's great luxury hotels for families. The family package gives lots of extra goodies for kids. The classic rooms are filled with light, the service is award-winning, and the fine-dining restaurant is superb. However, the vantage point - looking out towards the White House - provide once-in-a-lifetime views and make this a real standout stay.
- Mandarin Oriental Washington DC is at once homely yet sophisticated. This indulgent choice is another great luxury hotel in Washington DC for families. Expect toys on arrival, kids menus and babysitting services, while the spacious suites are perfect for families. The indoor pool is great for downtime, the sushi bar is delectable, and the quiet riverside setting - above the cherry trees - is beautiful.
For a romantic break
- Dupont Circle Hotel is magical, truly one of the most romantic luxury hotels in Washington DC. The stylish rooms are kitted out with plump four-posters and the best have private balconies. The bar is romantic and intimate with its spacious terrace affording spellbinding views. A great city escape pad for you and your significant other.
For great value
- The Melrose Hotel may be one of Washington DC's best luxury hotels, but it's also incredible value for money. A sleek marriage of minimalism and opulence with flashes of pop-art. The seasonal farm-to-fork cuisine at the restaurant is divine and there are some truly delicious cocktails at the speakeasy-style bar.
Still not sure where to book?
- Try this collection of famous hotels in Washington DC, our list of family hotels in Washington DC or checkout hotels in Washington DC near the Smithsonian;
- Discover the best boutique hotels in Washington DC or Washington DC's coolest hotels;
- Expand your search to include all hotels in Washington DC;
- Or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Four Seasons Washington DC Washington DC 221 rooms from CA$1152Local exploring - Georgetown is a lovely historic setting and the local neighbourhood is packed with restaurants and shops running along the canalCity Style - Upscale, elegant, and filled with VIP guests - this Four Seasons is a smart choiceFamilies - The concierge service will organise a multitude of activities for childrenSights nearby - A trip to the White House and Capitol building are an absolute must
Upmarket and elegant, a classic Four Seasons stay in historic Georgetown. Spacious rooms and suites are decorated in cream hues - the feel is classic but there are smart contemporary touches in the fixtures and fittings. Dining is an unsurprisingly glamorous affair. Luxury defined. See More
Jefferson Hotel, Washington DC Washington DC 96 rooms from CA$691Foodies - Fine dining Plume restaurant holds 1 Michelin StarFull of characterGreat walks - To The White House or The Washington National Memoiral are both a 15 minute walk away.Sights nearby - Washington DC is all walking distance.
A Renaissance revival with a statue of Thomas Jefferson and a grand marble staircase, high ceiling rooms exude luxury with big windows. Fine dining at Plume restaurant serves seasonal dishes and an extensive wine list. Explore the city at ease from this prime spot, or relax at the in-house spa. See More
The Hay-Adams Washington DC 145 rooms from CA$657Sights nearby - Farragut Square and the Admiral David G Farragut Statue are just around the corner to the hotel.Views - Great views from hotelFull of characterRestaurant - Recommended.
Award-winning hospitality, fabulous views of the White House. A prime location for Washington DC. Luxurious large rooms with Italian linens and modern bathrooms. The Lafayette is an upscale restaurant popular around town, or head to Off The Record for a cocktail. Prime spot for local exploring. See More
The Line DC Washington DC (DC) 220 rooms from CA$529City Style - A neoclassical church expertly transformed into a hip hotel- painted pews, brass features, prayer books and vintage furnishingsFoodies - There are four world class restaurants as well as a cafe, and a bar- each offering something completely differentSights nearby - The 18th-century Washington National Cathedral is nearby and as the second largest in the US is worth checking outLocal markets - This area boasts a couple of funky flea markets, as well as Idle Time Books filled with out of print treasuresRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
This neoclassical church has been expertly metamorphosed into a hip hotel in Adams Morgan district, Washington. Old and new have been meshed together to create a new ironic definition of worship, glorifying style and swagger above all else. Everything from rooms to restaurants will impress. See More
Ritz Carlton Washington DC Washington DC (Washington) 86 rooms from CA$446Weddings - Beautiful bridal suites, an expansive banquet hall, and a well-oiled hospitality team to make sure everything runs smoothlyCity Style - Luxurious, stylish, and unmatched service - it doesn't get much better than thisTraditionalRomantic - Good for couples.
A grand five-star set in the heart of the city (near Foggy Bottom metro). Interiors are beautifully styled with a fresh contemporary feel but with all the opulent grandeur of an era gone by. The slick bar serves innovative cocktails and Westend Bistro has superb fine-dining. A luxury stay. See More
Rosewood Washington Washington DC (Georgetown, North West DC) 55 rooms from CA$408Local exploring - The Hotel is ideally located to explore the trendy and cosmopolitan NW district, as well as the city centre attractionsCity Style - A stylish and modern hotel in a charming community with great access to DC's attractions and business centresSights nearby - A short distance from the National Mall, Lincoln Monument and Memorial and the closer Georgetown Waterfront ParkRestaurant - The on-site restaurant CUT by Wolfgang Puck is an exclusive and popular dining venue
An ideal destination for travellers to DC on business or for pleasure, featuring crisp and modern design, excellent dining courtesy of CUT by Wolfgang Peck, and captivating rooftop terrace spaces. The cosmopolitan and culturally rich atmosphere compliments the hotel's Georgetown location perfectly. See More
Mandarin Oriental Washington DC Washington DC 400 rooms from CA$362City Style - A luxury stay with all the expected trimmings included stylish design, a fabulous spa, and top-notch diningFamilies - A very family-friendly option - expect soft toys on arrival, babysitting services, and kids' menusSwimming Pool - 50 foot indoor heated poolOpulent
A five-star luxury stay set in a quiet cul-de-sac near the Tidal Basin. Expect all the luxury trimmings here: spacious suites that perfectly mix a homely feel with a touch of indulgence, a spoiling spa, and even a sushi bar. As suitable for families as for business people. See More
The Dupont Circle Hotel Washington DC 327 rooms from CA$357Sights nearby - Whether it's paying a visit to the White House, or to buzzing Gerogetown - this location makes it all easily accessibleRestaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Riggs Washington DC (Washington) 181 rooms from CA$391City Style - The hoteliers have done a stellar job here, blending the grandeur of the old bank building with some cool contemporary styleBar - Arguably one of the most inventive cocktail lists offered in the city in this elegant barSights nearby - Visit the iconic Washington Monument and the Memorial Mall or the U.S. CapitolDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.
This is a special place. An old bank building, with all the associated grandeur and large proportions, completely overhauled with gallery-worthy contemporary style. Rooms are all individually designed; there is a superb french bistro and a bar that's sure to keep you coming back! See More
The Melrose Georgetown Washington DC 240 rooms from CA$236Sights nearby - The White House, Lincoln Memorial, The Smithsonian Museums, The National Museums of Natural History and many more!Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Restaurant - Recommended.
Chic luxury hotel, in the upmarket area of Georgetown. Sleek, sophisticated and luxurious - the decor hits the perfect balance between modern minimalism and opulence. Experience the seasonal, inventive "farm-to-fork" cuisine at Jardenea Restaurant. An elegant and contemporary base in the capital. See More
The Watergate Hotel Washington DC 336 rooms from CA$626City Style - An uber slick hotel in the heart of the city.Sights nearby - Visit the oldest federal cultual institution in the states, the Library of Congress.Swimming Pool - 15m indoor heated pool with 3 lap lanes and a dedicated aerobics areaViews - Great views from hotel
A luxury hotel on the banks of the Potomac River. Smart rooms feature floor to ceiling windows, modern furniture, soft hues and plenty of space. Entertainment comes from the bevvy of food and beverage options with a whisky bar, rooftop bar and French-American restaurant. Fabulous. See More