Search the best hotels in Heidelberg
One single photo of the view between the Alte Brücke (the 'Old Bridge') and the stately dilapidation of the castle should be enough to convince you to visit Heidelberg. This part of beautiful, timbered, Baroque Germany at its best triggered the advent of German Romanticism. Songs, poems and stories were written, pictures were painted, and all in tribute to Heidelberg's beauty. Heidelberg is also famous for being a university town - it's often referred to as 'Germany's Oxbridge' -so there's a lively cafe culture, and plenty of choice when it comes to choosing the best places to stay in Heidelberg.
Heidelberg's Old Town is a beautiful, cobblestone warren of Baroque and timbered buildings sitting underneath the half ruined fortified castle. You can walk up to the castle or, if you're tired from all the sightseeing, take the 90-second funicular. After visiting the castle you can continue to take the funicular upward to the 'King's Throne', 1800 feet up. Your effort will be rewarded with Rhine views from a beer garden.
Not To Miss
- 400 years ago Heidelberg was home to the Hortus Palatinus, gardens dubbed 'The Eighth Wonder of the World' and the remains are still a wonderful arrangement of plants, statues and fountains. From here you can marvel at another spectacular view over the city.
- Some of the original university buildings, dating from the 14th century, are open to the public. Including the students gaol or Studentenkarzer, which is where students who disturbed the peace ended up. There are lots of great stories about student duels and pranks.
- In amongst the lovely buildings, the Gothic inspired Holy Spirit Church stands out as one of the loveliest. It's also a fascinating religious building in that, starting from 1706, it was used by both Catholics and Protestants at the same time - with only a wall separating them.
The town is seriously busy during the summer months, so if you want to book a bed in one of the best places to stay in Heidelberg you'll need to be organised and plan ahead. Alternatively, come in the off-season, when the streets are quieter and you can get a real feel for this atmospheric place.
For City Style
- Bergheim 41 is a stylish spot in the centre of town. Boasting chic whitewashed accommodation with large windows and private terraces, you can enjoy an indulgent breakfast each morning to set you up for the day.
- The riverside Villa Marstall, just a short distance from the centre of town, offers tasteful and traditional accommodation. A romantic base from which to get to know Hedelberg.
For classic luxury
- The Heidelberg Suites have grown-up class. The decor is modern but elegant, and there's plenty of notice-worthy art. The location, right by the 'Old Bridge', is in the centre of things, and it's one of the best places to stay in Heidelberg if you want to enjoy stunning views across the river to the old town and the castle. The hotel's restaurant is on a boat, so the views as you dine - and float - are an ever-changing pleasure. There's also a rooftop bar, which thankfully stays on the rooftop.
- Built in 1472, the Hotel die Hirschgasse Heidelberg is the oldest hotel in Heidelberg and the oldest student digs in Germany. Rooms and suites are traditional yet luxurious, and there are great views of the castle. What's more, the restaurant also has a Michelin star.
For An Apartment
If you think you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Heidelberg's nicest weather-wise in the summer months, with the average daily temperature rising to 21°C in July and August.
- This however is peak season, so if you fancy a cheaper and quieter alternative then consider visiting in May or September.
- International visitors can fly into Frankfurt Airport or Stuttgart Airport, with stations inside the terminal which will take you on the ICE train (running at 180mph!) to Heidelberg.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Heidelberg.
- Widen the net to include our recommendations for the best places to stay in Stuttgart or Frankfurt.
- Or, feel free to contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Heidelberg
Best Hotels in Heidelberg
Bergheim 41 Heidelberg 32 rooms from €104Local exploring - Ideally placed to see the region and very close to Bismarckplatz for trains and busesSights nearby - 2.5 km from Heidelberg Castle
Stylish hotel in the centre of Heidelberg. Chic rooms have wooden floors, large windows and good-sized bathrooms whilst some feature private terraces. The hotel's cafe offers a breakfast filled with fresh pastries et al and snacks served all day. Roof terrace with fantastic city views. Great value. See More
Villa Marstall Heidelberg 18 rooms from €145Local exploring - An elegant hotel overlooking the River Neckar, within walking distance of Heidelberg's main attractions and shops.Sights nearby - Ten minutes walk from Heidelberg Old Town, Old Bridge and Heiliggeistkirche.Great walks - Head out for a morning stroll along the beautiful River Neckar.TraditionalRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
A charming riverside hotel, in the centre of Heidelberg. The elegant rooms are beautifully appointed with classical furniture and cherry-wood floors. Just a short stroll from Heidelberg's old town, it's perfect for a weekend of exploring the city's famous baroque sights and streets. See More
ArtHotel Heidelberg Heidelberg 24 rooms from €182Local exploring - Well positioned to explore the town on foot.Sailing - Take a boat cruise through the Neckar Valley.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Traditional
An imposing historic building set in the heart of Heidelberg. Completely renovated interiors are light and bright throughout, with clean lines and a distinctly modern feel. Offering friendly service, and restaurant serving dishes using locally sourced produce, it's a popular pied-à-terre. See More
Hotel die Hirschgasse Heidelberg Heidelberg 20 rooms from €185Foodies - Michelin starred dining in Le Gourmet restaurantGourmetFamilySights nearby - All the major attractions are within walking distanceRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
Heidelberg Suites Heidelberg 18 rooms from €195City StyleRoof terraceSights nearby - All the major sights are easily accessible on foot. Located just next to the "Old Bridge"Restaurant - The restaurant is on a boat which meanders up the Neckar river while you dineRecommended by - Tablet, Small Luxury Hotels