Search the best hotels in Lake Como
About Lake Como
Zooming out of the tunnel on the train from Milan, Lake Como is laid out in front of you in all her spectacular beauty. Beauty based not solely on natural assets - the pristine waters, the mountainous backdrop, the sprinkling of small islands - but also on the charm of the little towns surrounding it, many of which host the best places to stay in Lake Como.
A lot of these towns are unspoiled by the area's popularity and many of the well dressed locals seem to prefer things to remain the same. In fact one of the charms of Lake Como is that despite all the visitors it receives, it still feels like a working region, rather than a tourist trap. The locals are friendly, not pushy.
Some of our Lake Como collections:
- 7 of Lake Como's Best B&Bs
- The 10 Best Hotels on Lake Como for Foodies
- The 10 Best Value Hotels on Lake Como
- The 8 Best Lake Como hotels for an Active Break
- The 8 Best Luxury Hotels on Lake Como
- The 10 Best Hotels with a View on Lake Como
- The 7 Best Hotels for Families on Lake Como
- The 10 Best Budget Hotels on Lake Como
- The Best Places to Stay in Como
- The Best Places to Stay in Bellagio
- The Best Places to Stay in Varenna
What not to Miss
- Lake Como's shoreline is dotted with pretty towns, including exquisite Bellagio, Laglio, Tremezzo and Menaggio, quiet old fishing village, Varenna, and centre of the region, Como and its close neighbour Cernobbio.
- Lecco is Lake Como's other major town, but there are plenty of smaller hamlets worth considering if you're looking for lovely places to stay in Lake Como. We'd recommend you check out Blevio and Lezzeno.
As well as its beautiful location, Como is also known for its Duomo, one of the best examples you can find of Gothic Renaissance Fusion, and for being the silk capital of the world.
One of the highlights of any trip to Lake Como has to be a boat trip. Most ferry you between Bellagio, Varenna, Menaggio and Cadenabbia.
Known as a hotspot for wealthy folks, Bellagio's glamour is so famous that it can be a bit overrun near the quay. But if you venture upwards, on the street which is all steps. you'll still find the old appeal.
It's not impossible to do Lake Como on a budget, and Varenna is one of the best places to stay in Lake Como if you're watching your wallet.
The best places to stay on Lake Como
For Traditional luxury
- If you're looking for ultimate luxury and relaxation in a truly glorious setting, the Casta Diva Resort and Spa is one of the best. Naturally it's five stars and the two restaurants are excellent. It also has a wonderful floating swimming pool and a subterranean spa hewn into the rock of the shoreline.
- Bellagio’s opulent Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni is an elegant grand dame with all the trappings of old fashioned luxury. Think doric columns, beautiful antiques, frescoed ceilings, grand sun terraces, spectacular lake views - of course - and a Michelin starred restaurant. They also have a private boat.
- With views across to Bellagio, the supremely elegant Grand Hotel Tremezzo has 89 rooms right on the water’s edge and five stars worth of beautifully understated interiors. Plus generous sun terraces, an excellent restaurant and spa and parklands surrounding the hotel. One of the pools actually floats on the lake!
- The Villa Lario is an all suite luxury property on Lake Como's shores. Here you'll find classic Italianate architecture with thoroughly modern interiors. There's just five suites and an independent villa, plus a private jetty, stunning infinity pool and restaurant serving modern Italian cuisine. A seriously stylish choice!
- Relais Regina Teodolinda is a six suite villa with breathtaking scenery all around. The charming accommodation oozes rustic-chic, whilst the property is surrounded by lovely gardens and boasts an outdoor pool.
For lakeside Location
- If you want to be right on the lake, take a look at the Villa d'Este. Villa d'Este is one of the more traditional five stars, the kind with grand state rooms, chandeliers, heavy fabrics, private balconies and private boats. So if you want classic Lake Como grandeur and glamour, this will be perfect.
- Like the Villa d’Este, Villa Flori is right on the water’s edge at Cernobbio. As well as the unbeatable setting, the Villa Flori has 52 contemporary chic rooms and suites, some with enormous balconies which hang out over the lake. Their restaurant offers alfresco dining from its Italian menu, plus there’s a lovely pool and spa.
- Owned by the same family for four generations, the Albergo Olivedo is a ten room townhouse hotel right on the lake. With rooms starting from less than £100 a night it's also a good choice if you're on a budget
- Or how about the Relais Regina Teodolinda in Laglio, which has gardens spreading right down to the water’s edge. There are just six suites, which have a relaxed, almost rustic charm with all the modern conveniences of course.
- Varenna’s Hotel du Lac is also lakeside. Here you'll find sixteen comfortable rooms, some with balconies, and a shaded dining area overlooking the water.
- If you're looking for ultimate luxury and relaxation in a truly glorious setting, the Casta Diva Resort and Spa in Lake Como is perfect. Naturally it's five stars and the two restaurants are excellent. But it also has a wonderful floating swimming pool and a subterranean spa hewn into the rock of the shoreline.
- La Canarina B&B is a charming bed and breakfast in the heart of Como with just two simple, airy bedrooms overlooking a beautiful private garden just 200metres from the lake. The decor is classical, with wooden floorboards and antique wrought iron beds.
- The B&B Vista Lago is a quiet B&B just up the hill from Como. As the name suggests, the lake views are panoramic and especially enjoyable when viewed from your own private sun terrace. There are just three rooms in the B&B and it’s ideal for a romantic break. No children.
- Casa Contrada Bella has just three chic rooms with stylish interiors and two with small kitchenettes. It's perfect for a romantic break with no kids allowed and is just steps away from Varenna's bars and restaurants.
- Albergo Milano is a one of our picks for families. As well as 13 double rooms and one triple, they also have three apartments within the hotel, so there's plenty of choice. But in addition to the practical features it's also quite charming! Set amongst the whitewashed town it's got wonderful views from its very good restaurant.
- Set in a lovely location surrounded by flower-filled gardens in Varenna, Casa Del Portico offers five simple but comfortable rooms as well as an apartment. A scenic stay in a top spot.
- The Nest on the Lake in Lezzeno is right by the lake with beautiful views from the five elegant rooms and self-catering apartments. Some of the rooms have four poster beds and private terraces, plus there’s a lovely sun deck and you can rent bikes and canoes.
- Alpe del Lupo has three chic bedrooms off the beaten track in Blessagno. The decor is traditional, but the furniture quite modern, plus there’s a huge communal dining room and lounge - both with large fireplaces. So this is a great one to take over if you’re travelling in a small, adults-only group.
- The Convento Sant'Antonio B&B is a converted convent just steps away from the Duomo in the hear of old Como. There are just three bedrooms/suites, decorated with fine antiques in amongst period features.
- The B&B Vista Lago is a quiet spot in the hills above the lake, so it’s the perfect place to escape to. There are just three rooms, each of them spacious and modern with its own sun terrace and panoramic lake views. It’s for adults only.
- Sightly off the beaten track you'll discover the delights of the Locanda Osteria Marascia. Situated in a quiet village just back from the lake the five rooms offers beautiful rustic chic interiors with oodles of original features. The fantastic cellar restaurant offers authentic Italian cuisine that has been honed over the years - the restaurant has been in the same family for five generations. Rooms start from just €80 per night B&B.
- The 3-room Alpe Del Lupo is a chic stay, combining modern Italian furnishings with traditional interior features. It's ideal for groups as you can take the whole place to yourselves, whilst there's also plenty to do in the surrounding area.
For great value
- For sheer elegance, one of the best places to stay is Hotel Florence. Bellagio is sophisticated as well as 'A-List Preferred' even though this is far from one of Bellagio's top priced hotels (doubles start from only £130 per night), it still offers a gourmet restaurant, an excellent spa and private balconies from which to absorb every inch of the glorious view that you can.
- For a similar room rate, one might also stay in the Relais Villa Vittoria, in Laglio. A wonderfully romantic hotel right on the edge of the lake. As well as beautiful views, this hotel has 11 delicately sumptuous rooms, an excellent restaurant and peaceful terraces overlooking the lake. Perfect for honeymooners.
- Owned by the same family for four generations, the Albergo Olivedo is a gorgeous ten room townhouse hotel right by the lake at Varenna. The decor is traditional with stone floors, pastel walls and private balconies. Family friendly and laid back, the Albergo Olivedo also has a lovely little Italian restaurant. Rooms start from around £90 per night.
- The Como Luxury Rooms are just two modern bedrooms in an ideal base in the heart of Como’s old town. Simplicity and comfort for around £80 per night.
For an Apartment or Villa
If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we recommend you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Milan’s Malpensa airport is just south of Como, about 45minutes drive away, and a good hub for major airlines, From the airport it’s possible to get a train down to Como Lago, which is close to the ferry and bus terminals you’ll need to go on to other towns and villages. If the connections are better for you, Milan Linate airport is about an hour and 20minutes away, as is Milan Bergamo. You can also arrive via Switzerland
- If you want to hire a car - which we highly recommend if you’re staying on Lake Como and want to see more than just one town - we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars
- Lake Como is beautiful all year round. The most popular time of year to visit is summer. The weather in July and August is idyllic. Though there’s really little wrong with the weather between March and November. In winter the snow is beautiful and desirable if you want to head up to Switzerland and the alps?
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Lake Como
Locanda Osteria Marascia Calolziocorte (Lake Como) 5 rooms from €80Value chic - With doubles from just €80 per night including breakfast, these smart rooms are excellent valueLocal exploring - Great location for exploring the Italian LakesGreat walks - Parco Regionale di Montevecchia e della Valle del Curone. There are good routes for all abilitiesSights nearby - Spend a day in Milan
Located in a quiet village just a short drive from Lake Como. This traditional hotel has a charming rustic chic feel with exposed beams, stone walls and antiques galore. The fantastic cellar restaurant serves home-made Italian dishes - the host's recipes have been perfected over five generations! See More
Hotel Villa Simplicitas San Fedele Intelvi, Lake Como 16 rooms from €80Country Escape - Surrounded by Italy's rolling hills this is a quintessentially bucolic experienceHideaway - A simple yet secluded escapeSailing - Sailing available on Lake ComoSights nearby - A short drive to Lake Como
Nestled in the hills above Lake Como and Lake Lugano, this charming unpretentious country house offers simple, unfussy bedrooms with gorgeous garden views. Relax in the lounge or play a game of billiards. The restaurant serves Italian dishes out on the veranda. A laid-back retreat. See More
Como Luxury Rooms Lake Como 2 rooms from €90Local exploring - Great location in the heart of Como Old Town - ideal for exploring on foot, or easy access to the lake and its boats.Value chic - This sleek property has two rooms with prices starting from just €90 per night including breakfast.Great walks - Ride the Funicolare to scenic walking routes
A boutique guest house with sleek modern bedrooms decorated in cool grey colours. An ideal base in the heart of Como Old Town - plenty to explore on the doorstep. Breakfast can be enjoyed in one of the many cafes on the street and coffee is provided in the room. Simplicity at its finest. See More
La Canarina B&B Como 2 rooms from €95Local exploring - Located in the centre of Como, you're ideally placed to explore on foot.Value chic - Beautiful rooms from just €95 per night B&B.Great walks - Travel up the Funicular and enjoy walks for all abilities overlooking the lakeSights nearby - Como Cathedral is just minutes away
A charming bed and breakfast in the heart of Como. Bedrooms are simple and airy with natural wooden floorboards and antique wrought iron beds, all overlooking a beautiful private garden. A good location to explore Como on foot with plenty to see from the doorstep and just 200m from the lake. See More
Alpe del Lupo Blessagno, Lake Como 3 rooms from €100Groups - With just three rooms, take over the whole property and make the place your own!Hideaway - A beautiful off the beaten track locationSights nearby - Hosts have local knowledgeRestrictions on children - Adults only
A chic off the beaten track B&B with three stylish bedrooms that combine modern Italian furniture with traditional interior features. Plus there's a large communal dining room and relaxing lounge both with large fire places - perfect for groups. Lots of activities nearby and excellent value too. See More
Taverna Bleu Lake Como 15 rooms from €116Great walks - Go explore one of the unforgettable mountainous hiking trails-a great way to fully appreciate the area's natural beautySights nearby - The Swiss-Miniatur amusement park and the Funicolare Como-Brunate cable car are both only a short drive away,Fishing - If you fancy a relaxing afternoon in the sun then pack a lunch and head to a quiet spot for a bit of fishingOutstanding location
The 3 star Taverna Bleu enjoys a fantastic location on the shore of Lake Como. It offers light-filled and spacious rooms decorated in a traditional manner, some come with private balconies. Be sure to dine at their fabulous restaurant specialising in local cuisine. A peaceful and charming stay! See More
Albergo Olivedo Varenna 10 rooms from €110Views - Great views over Lake ComoTraditionalSights nearby - Well located for major sights.Great walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Sawdays
Nest on the Lake Lezzeno 5 rooms from €110Views - Wonderful views over Lake ComoValue chicSights nearby - Some of Como's most spectacular villas are very close byKayaking - Rent one of the B&B's canoes
Casa Contrada Bella Varenna 3 rooms from €130Value chic - Stylish rooms which start from just €130 per night.Sights nearby - Situated in the historical centre of Varenna. 14th Century Church - Chiesa di San Giorgio is very close byGreat walks - Plenty of good walking routes in the area whether you want a gentle stroll or energertic hike.Sailing - Sail on the lake
A small guest house with three charming bedrooms - wrought iron bed heads, exposed wooden beams, exposed stone wall. Two with a small kitchenette and one with a balcony. Restaurants within walking distance and the beach is just steps away. A great value base for exploring the area. See More
Casa del Portico Tremezzo 5 rooms from €130Local exploring - Great location for exploring the southern end of Lake ComoHideaway - A lovely spot, slightly off the beaten track.Great walks - The Greenway or the Larian Mountain routesSights nearby - Visit local Private Villas and GardensRecommended by - Sawdays
Casa del Portico is a charming B&B with gorgeous flower filled gardens in a quiet spot. Simple yet stylish and comfortable rooms blend traditional and modern features and offer lovely lake views. And there's an apartment for independent sorts! Great value in a prime location for exploring Lake Como. See More
B&B Vista Lago Como 3 rooms from €139Local exploring - You can hire bikes or cars at the property, so it's an ideal base for exploring further afieldGreat walks - On the edge of Parco Regionale Spina Verde di Como, with fantastic walking on the doorstepSights nearby - Just outside Como and easy access to the best local sights.Views - All rooms have a private terrace with panoramic lake views
This quiet B&B, set in the hills above Lake Como offers guests spacious, modern bedrooms, each with a private sun terrace and panoramic lake views. With just three rooms and no kids allowed, it is ideal for a romantic break or as a base for exploring the surrounding area. See More
Convento Sant'Antonio B&B Como 3 rooms from €140Local exploring - The B&B enjoys a fabulous location in the heart of Como's old town and just steps from the Duomo.Great walks - There are lots of good hiking routes in the area for all abilities.Sailing - Enjoy a day sailing on Lake ComoFull of character
A quaint bed and breakfast situated in an old convent in the heart of Como. There are three unique guest suites stylishly decorated with fine antique furniture, period features and smart modern bathrooms. Warm, homely hospitality with good local knowledge and tips for day excursions and activities. See More
Casa Sull'Albero Malgrate 12 rooms from €142Back to Nature - Floor to ceiling glass walls bring the outside - insideTotal relaxation - Surrounded by parkland with lake viewsSecluded setting - For escaping.Local markets - Good for local colour.
Set in a scenic garden of tall trees with panoramic views of Lake Como. This modern villa has chic, contemporary bedrooms with floor to ceiling windows decorated in a minimalist style. Guests are invited to treat this as their home - come and go as they please and enjoy the honesty kitchen. See More
Casa Santo Stefano Cernobbio 4 rooms from €153Views - Stunning views over Lake ComoSights nearby - The small town of CernobbioGreat walks - Parco Spina Verde di ComoRestrictions on children - Adults only property
Casa Santo Stefano is an elegant, adults only guest house decorated in modern style with four chic guest rooms. Each has a small private lounge area and some have balconies with lake views. Unwind by the pool after a day exploring the surrounding area, and help yourself to the honesty bar! See More
Hotel Florence Bellagio 27 rooms from €160Views - Breathtaking views over Lake ComoHoneymoonsRomantic BreakRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - CN Traveller
Hotel du Lac Varenna Varenna (Lake Como) 16 rooms from €175Romantic Break - Draw back the curtains in the morning for unforgettable views of Lake ComoBack to Nature - Hills, lakes and stunning countryside on your doorstepSights nearby - Spend the day exploring nearby VeronaGreat walks - Enjoy walking in the nearby hills
A charming lakeside hotel with 16 comfortable air-conditioned bedrooms - some with lake views and private balconies. The hotel has a peaceful terrace overlooking the lake with a lovely shaded dining area. A family run property and the number one spot to explore the local area. See More
Tenuta De L'Annunziata Lake Como 21 rooms from €190Spa breaks - The extensive spa is worthy of a visit alone; relax in the Turkish bath before booking in for a treatmentFoodies - Sample exceptional Italian fine dining created using produce from the farmSights nearby - Make a trip to the quaint town of Cernobbio, located on the shores of Lake Como, yet not as touristy as towns on the other sideGreat walks - Take the Bioenergetic self-guided woods walk through the property's estate
Relais Villa Vittoria Laglio 11 rooms from €190Wellbeing - Treatments, whirlpool, steam room and relaxation areaViews - Breathtaking views over Lake ComoHoneymoonsLuxuryRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, CN Traveller
Albergo Milano Varenna 14 rooms from €190Sit-out Terrace - Fabulous restaurant terrace over Lake Como.Views - Great views from hotelFamiliesGroupsRecommended by - Sawdays
Villa Flori Cernobbio 53 rooms from €217Romantic - A fairytale setting and rooms to match!Views - Stunning views over the lake.Romantic BreakLuxury
Relais Regina Teodolinda Laglio 6 rooms from €225Views - Experience extraordinary views of Lake Como from all the suites and gardensGarden - Gorgeous gardens on the water's edgeLakesideRomantic BreakRecommended by - CN Traveller
Situated on the very water's edge of Lake Como, this six suite villa enjoys breathtaking scenery. The suites manage to evoke the rustic charm and relaxed atmosphere once typical for holidaymakers of the past, while injecting the odd bit of modern spice with their furnishings. Sophisticated luxury. See More
Hotel Belvedere, Bellagio Bellagio 64 rooms from €231Views - From its elevated position above Bellagio, the Belvedere enjoys fabulous lake views.Local exploring - A great base for exploring Lake Como and the surrounding area.Spa - With Turkish Bath, sauna and comfort zone with stunning mountain views, plus wide range of beauty, body and massage treatmentsSights nearby - Bellagio town centre is a 10-minute walk away.
Set back on a gorgeous hillside, this peaceful retreat has been run by one family for five generations. Enjoy the secluded garden spots shaded by olive trees and the heated infinity pool with a view. Elegant bedrooms and apartments with parquet flooring and Italian furnishings. A beautiful spot. See More
Palazzo Albricci Peregrini 22100 Como CO 6 rooms from €260Romantic Break - Set in a romantic and elegantly furnished old palazzo in the town, this is an ideal romantic hideaway close to tourist hotspotsSights nearby - In Como head to the cathedral and the Basilica di Sant’Abbondio; on the shores visit Villa Serbelloni and Villa BalbianelloDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Back to NatureRecommended by - Tablet
A tranquil boutique hotel set around a pretty courtyard garden. Elegant interiors feature bare brickwork and fine furniture, with local artwork and ornaments from around the world. Expect fine Frette linen in the high-ceilinged rooms painted in muted tones. The homemade breakfast is a highlight. See More
Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni Bellagio 95 rooms from €261HoneymoonsRomantic Break5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - CN Traveller
Opulent largesse and Five Star luxury at this elegant grand hotel. Bedrooms and suites have frescoed ceilings, Doric columns, and antique furniture. Michelin-run restaurant, spa, terraces, spectacular views of the lake, and a private boat to take you onto it. Romantic, pampering, historic. See More
Grand Hotel Tremezzo Tremezzo 89 rooms from €288Views - Wonderful views of Bellagio and the Grigne mountains5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Romantic BreakTotal relaxationRecommended by - Tablet, Kiwi Collection
Five Star Luxury from a Grand Hotel on the water's edge of Lake Como. Elegant interiors are understated, rather than overly lavish. Glossy parquet floors, brightly coloured walls, a mixture of contemporary and Baroque furniture, spectacular views from terraces. Excellent restaurant, spa, parklands. See More
Filario Hotel Lezzeno 13 rooms from €320Great walks - Good walking routesSailing - Sail on Lake ComoLocal markets - Good for local colour.Views - Great views from hotel
A super stylish design hotel with an outdoor infinity pool and private beach area on Lake Como. Bedrooms are decorated in cool earth tones with modern amenities and large showers. Restaurant with terrace overlooking the lake serves trad Italian fare. A chic spot in an excellent lakeside location. See More
Villa Lario Pognana Lario, Lake Como 5 rooms from €380Local exploring - Ideal luxury base for explore Lake Como and the surrounding areaViews - Stunning views over Lake Como to the mountains beyondGreat walks - There are great walks for all levels of fitness in the surrounding countrysideCooking classes - The chef runs cookery classes for hotel guests
Chic Italian architecture meets modern luxury. Elegant all suite accommodation (two corner suites with wrap around balconies), right on Lake Como's shore. Enjoy watersports from the private jetty or relax by the elegant infinity pool. A fine Italian restaurant and stylish lounge complete the picture See More
Casta Diva Resort & Spa Blevio 73 rooms from €442Spa - Subterranean spa hewn from the lakeside rockFoodiesViews - Great views from hotel5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Recommended by - Tablet, Small Luxury Hotels
Villa d'Este Cernobbio 152 rooms from €590Views - Stunning views over Lake ComoLuxuryRomantic BreakHoneymoonsRecommended by - CN Traveller, Tablet
Il Sereno Torno 30 rooms from €1045Honeymoons - This slice of paradise is the ideal spot for that extra special honeymoon. A pampering hotel in an unforgettable location.Romantic Break - Stunning accommodation, beautiful views and exquisite cuisine make Il Sereno a great destination for a romantic breakFoodies - Michelin star chef Andrea Berton is in charge of Il Sereno's menu- guaranteed to please!Great walks - Head along the banks of the lakes or if you're feeling more adventurous then tackle the many mountain hikes all around the areaRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Situated in Torno on the banks of Lake Como, Il Sereno offers luxurious designer suites boasting breathtaking views. Sit out on the terrace enjoying exquisite modern Italian cuisine from the restaurant! Head off on a boat tour and explore the area. An enchanting and romantic spot. See More