Search the best hotels in Guadalajara
There are quite a number of reasons Guadalajara is one of our favourite Mexican cities to visit, but topping that list is the way it’s both historic and progressive, and really vibrant with it; it feels authentically Mexican, so it’s cool; and it’s got Latin America’s largest indoor food market, which is surrounded by a thriving culinary scene. And the best places to stay in Guadalajara are surprisingly affordable, so it’s easy to come here for a proper explore!
If you want to stay near the Mercado San Juan de Dios, the 40,000square metre leviathan of commerce, with space for almost four thousand different stalls, the Centro area is probably the best place to base yourself. This part of town has a cluster of Guadalajara’s colonial architecture, and is also where you’ll find the wonderful cathedral and impressive Instituto Cultural de Cabañas. Foodies might also appreciate a visit, or a stay, in the Chapultepec neighbourhood, which is bustling with innovation and hipster zeitgeist.
Arcos Vallarta is where you’ll find some of our most stylishly contemporary recommendations, and it’s very close to the centre of town too, while Tlaquepaque is a somewhat residential feeling area great for local handicrafts, and the Zapopan district is another part of town with elegant colonial buildings, including an imposing stone archway and the majestic 17th-century basilica.
A number of very Mexican treasures have developed in Guadalajara, including mariachi music, and the Mexican hat dance, and the corresponding wide-brimmed sombreros. But, and here’s the clincher, Guadalajara is just across the beautiful stretches of blue agave fields from the small town of Tequila, and its incredible 200-year old distillery.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Guadalajara all ensure a classy stay in this fascinating city, whatever your taste or budget.
The Best Places to Stay in Guadalajara
For a city break
- The Demetria Hotel is a super contemporary hotel in Arcos Vallarta, which is very close to the heart of town, and the cathedral. Its 39 rooms and suites feature plenty of glass: floor to ceiling in many rooms, so you can enjoy city views from your bed! There’s a rooftop pool and terrace, and a hip art shop and gallery too.
- Just around the corner is the Casa Fayette, another cool, contemporary hotel. Expect more glass here too, and beautifully designed rooms with clean lines and modern details. There are 37 rooms and suites here, and a small pool and terrace with a chic cocktail bar.
- If you’re looking for something a bit more luxurious and intimate, try the Quinta Real Guadalajara, which is in a quiet, leafy, residential neighbourhood just a short walk from the city centre. The Quinta Real has 76 rooms and suites, all of them elegantly laid out with antique furniture and marble bathrooms, and the suites are especially large. The pool is memorable too.
For great value
- Tucked within a colonial-style building in the heart of historic Guadalajara, the Casa Pedro Loza is a charming, 12 room hotel, which would easily slip right into both of our other categories because it’s so central, and so elegantly romantic, with its high ceilings, regional artwork and traditional furnishings, and balconies with city views. But it’s just such good value.
- The Villa Ganz is our other great value pick; a boutique-feeling, ten room property in a quiet, central neighbourhood. Family owned and run, whoever did the decor has styled the ten suites so that they complement the building's original design (local antiques and art sit side by side).
Prefer an Apartment or Villa?
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we recommend you visit our online partner, booking.com.
- Guadalajara International Airport is 12 miles from the centre of town, and to get between the two there’s a choice of the airport shuttle bus, regular buses or a taxi. At Guadalajara Airport there’s a system with taxis, and you buy a ticket there in advance, which means you can’t negotiate a price, but also that you can’t be ripped off!
- If you’re thinking about hiring a car we recommend checking what our online partners, Rentalcars have to offer.
- Our Gurus recommend visiting Guadalajara between October and December, for both the warm, dry weather, and the number of festivals that happen during this period! Guadalajara is hot all year, with most days hovering within a few degrees of 30, but between June and September it’s hot and rainy, and those aren’t the best sightseeing conditions. March through May are lovely weatherise, but there aren’t quite as many festivals.
Still not sure?
- You could expand your search to include our recommendations for the best places to stay in Jalisco
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Monthly Weather in Guadalajara
Best Hotels in Guadalajara
Casa Pedro Loza Guadalajara 12 rooms from €85Romantic Break - Couples love the romantic rooms at this heritage hotel; book a luxury suite for two balconies and city viewsLocal exploring - Located in the historic centre of Guadalajara, this hotel is perfectly placed for local exploringCity Style - Set in a beautifully restored, 19th-century property, this hotel has reams of local city styleSights nearby - Visit the Guadalajara Cathedral, a minor basilica built in the Spanish Renaissance style and a local landmark
This charming hotel occupies a colonial-style building in the historic centre of Guadalajara, Mexico. Guestrooms feature a blend of modern and heritage furnishings, plush linens and regional artwork; book a luxury suite for two balconies with city views. Dine at the chic restaurant; a refined stay. See More
Villa Ganz Guadalajara 10 rooms from €94Local exploring - Set in the desirable Zona Rosa, walking distance from museums, restaurants, galleries, and boutiquesGreat walks - Walk through the neighbourhood and admire the pretty colonial architectureSights nearby - Visit the nearby archaelogical area of Los GuachimontonesRomantic - Good for couples.
A family-run boutique property in the quiet and central neighbourhood of Zona Rosa. The ten suites are beautifully styled in homage to the building's original design; filled with antiques and local artefacts. With the city's main attractions nearby, this is a luxurious and convenient choice. See More
Demetria Hotel Guadalajara (LAFAYETTE-GUADALAJARA-JALISCO) 39 rooms from €116City Style - A hip spot complete with regional art, rooftop pool and cool contemporary style.Sights nearby - Just a short stroll from the impressive city Cathedral.Views - Great views from hotelSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Tablet
An uber contemporary hotel located in the heart of Guadalajara. Sleek rooms feature floor to ceiling windows allowing for epic city views to be enjoyed right from your bed. Plus a hip art shop, gallery and rooftop pool. With easy access to the city's main attractions this is a winning choice. See More
Casa Fayette Guadalajara (Guadalajara, jal) 37 rooms from €138Local exploring - Located in the hip neighbourhood of Zona Minerva and within easy reach of the historic centre.Sights nearby - Visit the Cathedral to Teatro Degollado in the historic centre.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Romantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Design Hotels, Tablet
An ultra-cool contemporary hotel in an equally hip part of town. Beautifully designed rooms are all glass, clean lines and modern fixtures. Unwind over a massage, try your hand at meditation, lounge by the pool or sip a cocktail at the chic bar. Well located for exploring the city. Superb. See More
Quinta Real Guadalajara Guadalajara (Vallarta Nte) 76 rooms from €189Local exploring - There are a number of worthwhile sights within walking distance of the propertyValue chic - Beautiful, romantic accommodation at a wonderfully affordable price!Great walks - Meander around the city's streets getting a feel for its atmosphereSights nearby - Be sure to go see the historic Guadalajara Cathedral
Quinta Real Guadalajara is nestled in a leafy residential area, a short walk from the city centre. Feel like a VIP in their elegant suite-style accommodation featuring antique furnishings and marble bathrooms! Hop in the pool after a busy day sightseeing for a refreshing dip. Utterly charming. See More