Search the best hotels in Jalisco
Nestled on Mexico’s western side, the fascinating state of Jalisco offers an impressive array of experiences for adventurous travellers — including historic cities, spectacular Pacific coastline and lush, jungle-clad hills. The home of tequila and mariachi music, this is a bright, bold and brilliant destination for those looking to experience classic Mexico. Accommodation options are wide-ranging, with everything from laid-back B&Bs to swish city hotels catering to a whole host of budgets. Whilst many of the best places to stay in Jalisco are in the region’s vibrant cities, some of our top spots are tranquil and secluded, perfect for a romantic retreat.
Begin your explorations in the state capital of Guadalajara, notable for its grand colonial architecture, fabulous food and lively local art scene. This cultural hub features excellent museums and an exciting annual programme of food, art and music festivals. Other intriguing towns include Tequila — where excellent distilleries invite tours and tastings — and the cool mountain town of San Sebastián del Oeste. Dotted amidst the remote hill villages of the state’s interior are extensive haciendas, ideal for active families looking to hike, ride, cycle and visit archaeological sites, or for relaxed romantic couples eager to unwind at serene spas.
If you’re dreaming of pristine Pacific beaches, on the other hand, make your way to Puerto Vallarta, famed for its cobbled Old Town and botanical gardens, as well as world-class diving, snorkelling and whale-watching. Follow the coast further south to Majahuitas, Quimixto and Yelapa for beautiful beaches and treks into the jungles of the interior. Within the verdant greenery, there are nature reserves and eco-projects aplenty to discover, as well as horse-riding, waterfall swims and wildlife-spotting.
Whether you’re tempted by the hip and happening food and festival scene, looking to kick back in a swanky heritage hotel, or hoping to hide away in absolute seclusion, our pick of the best places to stay in Jalisco promises a seriously special Mexican escape.
The Best Places to Stay in Jalisco
For a Contemporary City Stay
- Demetria Hotel is a contemporary city pad in central Guadalajara. Its 39 rooms feature floor-to-ceiling windows for amazing views, there's a rooftop pool, and a funky art shop and gallery. A trendy city stay with industrial materials and a minimalist feel.
- Casa Fayette promises cool, crisp interiors, with plenty of glass, brass accents and touches of colour against an otherwise white-on-white palette. This Guadalajara gem boasts 37 swish rooms and suites, a small plunge pool and a chic cocktail bar. Great for hip grown-ups eager to party and see the city.
- Hotel Amapa is a wonderfully romantic adults-only hotel in Puerto Vallarta's Old Town. Pick this place for its stylish, slow living vibe, striking sunsets and community-minded atmosphere. Highlights include glorious sea views, a rooftop infinity pool, great beach club and soothing wellness treatments. Ideal for couples keen to experience both the city and the coast.
For Luxurious Opulence
- Hacienda San Angel is a beautiful colonial property set high above Puerto Vallarta's cobbled streets. The 20 elegant, luxurious suites feature traditional textiles and antiques, and the superb rooftop restaurant boasts spectacular views. Intimate, adults-only bliss.
- Hotel Solar de Las Animas promises a bold, sophisticated stay close to the Santiago Apostol Church in Tequila. Think carved wooden headboards atop big cosy beds, vintage rugs and striking old town views. The two characterful bars are perfect for sipping the hotel's many tequilas as the sun sets.
- Casa Kimberly offers nine lavish, antique-filled rooms in a romantic villa overlooking the Bay of Banderas in Puerto Vallarta. Book a suite for a private plunge pool, unwind in enormous bathrooms with free-standing tubs, and feast on Mexican specialities at the Iguana Restaurant. A sumptuous couples' hideaway.
- Quinta Real Guadalajara is an expansive, opulent property in a leafy residential neighbourhood within walking distance of central Guadalajara. The 76 rooms and suites features antique furnishings, spacious marble bathrooms and flexible spaces for couples or families. Lounge by the pool and savour impressive buffet breakfasts before heading out to see the sights.
For a rural hacienda
- Hacienda Labor de Rivera is a classic countryside escape for families or couples. Just an hour from Guadalajara, the traditional property has 20 large and lavish rooms, as well as extensive grounds with an array of activities, including horse-riding, kayaking, cycling, walking trails, holistic treatments and fantastic Mexican food. A tranquil spot with lots for the whole family to see and do.
- Hacienda Sepulveda features 25 gorgeous rooms and suites in rural Jalisco. Ideal for couples, the hotel offers horse riding opportunities, a swimming pool and an indulgent spa with rejuvenating treatments. Traditional interiors boast vintage pieces, exposed stone walls and lots of character. One for romantic couples dreaming of a secluded spa break with gourmet fare.
- Hacienda El Carmen Hotel & Spa promises a spoiling spa retreat in a majesitc hacienda. Nestled in Ahualulco de Mercado, this historic property offers spell-binding Tequila Volcano views and stacks of old-school grandeur. Families will love the onsite mini-golf course and the free bicycles. The elegant library is a particular highlight, too. Great for couples or families.
For an Eco Retreat
- Cuixmala is a beautiful beachfront eco-resort, set on a 30,000-acre nature reserve. Hide away in one of 40 gorgeous suites, casitas and villas. Think orange-painted exteriors and white interiors with striking pops of colour and handwoven textiles. Charming and luxurious, the property boasts delicious Mexican fare, as well as heaps of activities — from surfing to horse-riding — in a pristine natural environment. There are impressive eco-projects, too. One for families, groups or honeymooners.
- Las Alamandas is a fun and funky boutique beach resort tucked amidst a 1,500-acre nature reserve. Featuring just 16 suites, this is an intimate choice for couples, groups or families, with bright, bold design, excellent facilities — including an indulgent spa — and fabulous food. A tranquil eco-hideaway.
- Verana is a remote eco-lodge built into the jungle. Arrive in Yelapa by boat and hike through the lush forest to find a collection of ten bedrooms and bungalows nestled on the hillside. The views over the bay are spectacular, there's a fantastic spa, and umpteen activities on land and sea, including riding, hiking, fishing, snorkelling, waterfall swims and cookery classes. A secluded jungle oasis for adventurers.
- Xinalani is a rustic, adults-only yoga retreat 12 miles south of Puerto Vallarta. Only reachable by boat and with limited internet access, this is the perfect place to reconnect with nature. Enjoy twice-daily yoga sessions, meditation, health-conscious food and an appealingly indoor-outdoor feel. A stunning coastal escape for yogis.
For Great Value
- Casa Pedro Loza is a charming heritage hotel in the heart of historic Guadalajara. Pick this place for its central location, romantic elegance — think high ceilings, vintage furnishings and local artwork — and great value.
- Villa Ganz offers ten gorgeous suites in the quiet, central neighbourhood of Zona Rosa, within easy reach of Guadalajara's main sights. A tranquil, family-run B&B, this is a top choice for an affordable boutique stay in a historic building.
- Grand Hotel Boutique is an adults-only pad in Tepatitlán de Morelos, in the Jaliscan Highlands. Stay here for European architecture, 13 distinctly themed suites — the lavish Marie Antoinette suite boasts an appealing hot tub — and the onsite art gallery. A lovely base for discovering the region's many attractions. Very reasonably priced.
- Gran Casa Sayula promises a wellness-focused stay, with a brilliant onsite spa, and 20 blue-and-white guestrooms in a restored 18th-century property. There's lots to see and do in Sayula, and guests of all ages are welcome at the hotel. A well-priced historic base for a Mexican spa break.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Mexico City, and take a short connecting flight to Puerto Vallarta or Guadalajara, both in Jalisco. Alternatively, fly directly to either of those hubs, and travel by bus or car to your destination.
- Jalisco is a great region to explore by road. Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Expect balmy temperatures throughout the year, and dry weather from November to May. Do consider avoiding the rainy season (June to September), unless you're happy to spend some of the day hopping from one cafe to another!
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Guadalajara.
- Consult our recommendations of the 15 Best Beach Hotels on Mexico's Pacific Coast.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Mexico.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Jalisco
Best Hotels in Jalisco
Doña Francisca Hotel Jalisco 22 rooms from £64Local exploring - Set in the historic centre; there are cultural sites, restaurants, cafes, and markets all within walking distanceFamilies - Several of the rooms come with two queen size beds making them a comfortable choice for familiesBoutique - A charming small hotel set in a historic building yet with fresh modern interiorsSights nearby - Visit the Basílica de Nuestra Señora del Rosario de Talpa which dates back to 1782
A charming boutique hotel located in the heart of Talpa de Allende. Beautifully renovated rooms keep the building's original features (exposed beams and tiled floors) but the walls are whitewashed and there's modern furniture. With a terraced restaurant and bar, this is an easy city base. See More
Square Small Luxury Hotel Col. Vallarta San Lucas, Guadalajara 40 rooms from £65Local exploring - Located ten minutes from the Historic District, this is an convenient base for city exploringValue chic - With chic modern style and rooms starting below the $100 mark, this is a good value baseSights nearby - Stop by some of the city's histoirc sites such as the cathedral and the Hospicio Cabañas (a World Heritage Site)Great walks - Wander through the picturesque he Historic Centre of Tlaquepaque and catch a mariachi band along the way
A smart modern hotel located just outside the Historic District. Spacious rooms are simple and clean in their design with large swathes of glass, crisp white linen, and dark wood furniture. The roof terrace with a pool, bar, and restaurant is the real lure. A well-priced city stay. See More
Casa Pedro Loza Guadalajara 12 rooms from £73Romantic Break - Couples love the romantic rooms at this heritage hotel; book a luxury suite for two balconies and city viewsLocal exploring - Located in the historic centre of Guadalajara, this hotel is perfectly placed for local exploringCity Style - Set in a beautifully restored, 19th-century property, this hotel has reams of local city styleSights nearby - Visit the Guadalajara Cathedral, a minor basilica built in the Spanish Renaissance style and a local landmark
This charming hotel occupies a colonial-style building in the historic centre of Guadalajara, Mexico. Guestrooms feature a blend of modern and heritage furnishings, plush linens and regional artwork; book a luxury suite for two balconies with city views. Dine at the chic restaurant; a refined stay. See More
Grand Hotel Tepatitlan Tepatitlán de Morelos, Jalisco 13 rooms from £75Romantic Break - Couples love the romantic master suites at this hotel; book the Marie Antoinette suite for a private hot tubLocal exploring - Nestled next to the Plaza de Armas, this hotel is perfectly placed for local exploring in JaliscoCity Style - With luxury interiors and a central location, this hotel has reams of chic city styleSights nearby - Visit the Parroquia de San Antonio, a landmark local church which blends baroque and neoclassical architectural styles
Discover a fusion of European architecture, Mexican design and luxury amenities at this boutique hotel in the Jaliscan Highlands. Elegant suites are styled around distinct themes; book the Marie Antoinette suite for 18th-century opulence and a hot tub. Visit the hotel art gallery; an indulgent stay. See More
Hacienda Labor de Rivera Teuchitlán, Jalisco 21 rooms from £81Local exploring - Well located to explore the tequila route, historical sights and the state capital of Guadalajara is only an hour away tooWeddings - The hotel lends a beautiful backdrop, there is a chapel on site and the team can cater for upto 600 peopleCountry Escape - Set in picturesque countryside ideal for walking or riding the hotel's horses throughSights nearby - Visit Guachimontones, one of the most important archaeological sites in Western Mexico
An historical hacienda, surrounded by picturesque countryside, close to the archaeological zone of Guachimontones. Airy, colonial style, rooms have been carefully restored with antiques and traditional fabrics. Expect horses wandering outside, hammocks slung beside the lake and traditional cuisine. See More
Villa Ganz Guadalajara 10 rooms from £82Local exploring - Set in the desirable Zona Rosa, walking distance from museums, restaurants, galleries, and boutiquesGreat walks - Walk through the neighbourhood and admire the pretty colonial architectureSights nearby - Visit the nearby archaelogical area of Los GuachimontonesRomantic - Good for couples.
A family-run boutique property in the quiet and central neighbourhood of Zona Rosa. The ten suites are beautifully styled in homage to the building's original design; filled with antiques and local artefacts. With the city's main attractions nearby, this is a luxurious and convenient choice. See More
Hacienda Sepulveda Lagos de Moreno, Jalisco 25 rooms from £99Romantic Break - Couples should opt for Casa Santiago with its candles and in-room marble hot tub.Spa breaks - Offering an extensive treatment list in utterly tranquil surrounds.Great walks - Take romantic strolls starting straight from the property door.Restrictions on children - Children over 13 are welcome.Recommended by - Tablet
A stunning boutique property set in picturesque rural Jalisco. Individually designed rooms are traditional in style with high beamed ceilings, exposed stone, hanging tapestries and antique furniture. Gourmet cuisine is served in the converted barn and exemplary massages offered in the spa. Fabulous. See More
Demetria Hotel Guadalajara (LAFAYETTE-GUADALAJARA-JALISCO) 39 rooms from £101City Style - A hip spot complete with regional art, rooftop pool and cool contemporary style.Sights nearby - Just a short stroll from the impressive city Cathedral.Views - Great views from hotelSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Tablet
An uber contemporary hotel located in the heart of Guadalajara. Sleek rooms feature floor to ceiling windows allowing for epic city views to be enjoyed right from your bed. Plus a hip art shop, gallery and rooftop pool. With easy access to the city's main attractions this is a winning choice. See More
Hacienda El Carmen Hotel & Spa Portes Gil, Jalisco 27 rooms from £108Country Escape - Set on a traditional hacienda in the Jalisco countryside, this hotel offers an authentic escape to the countryRomantic Break - Couples love the peaceful atmosphere at this hacienda hotel; book a couples' massage for a romantic evening inGreat walks - Explore the beautiful natural landscape surrounding the hotel on a long walkViews - Great views from hotel
This historic hotel is located on a majestic hacienda in Ahualulco de Mercado, overlooking Mexico's Tequila Volcano. Rooms feature preserved heritage details; original tiles are softened by oriental rugs and period furniture gives an elegant feel. The spa is utterly spoiling. A refined luxury hotel. See More
Gran Casa Sayula Sayula, Jalisco 20 rooms from £116Spa breaks - With a traditional spa on-site featuring a hammam, steam room and massage, book this hotel for your next Mexican spa breakLocal exploring - Located in central Sayula, this hotel is perfectly placed for local exploring in the areaCity Style - Set in a beautifully restored heritage property, this hotel has lots of local city styleSights nearby - Take a day trip to Lake Sayula, a lesser-known wetland which is home to a great variety of flora and fauna
This chic, heritage hotel is located in an 18th-century property in Sayula, Mexico. Guestrooms are bright and spacious, with traditional tiled floors and dark wood accents; book a suite for extra living space. Dine at the charming restaurant after booking into the Terracotta Spa; a stylish getaway. See More
Casa Habita Guadalajara (Guadalajara, jal) 37 rooms from £119Local exploring - Located in the hip neighbourhood of Zona Minerva and within easy reach of the historic centre.Sights nearby - Visit the Cathedral to Teatro Degollado in the historic centre.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Romantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Design Hotels, Tablet
An ultra-cool contemporary hotel in an equally hip part of town. Beautifully designed rooms are all glass, clean lines and modern fixtures. Unwind over a massage, try your hand at meditation, lounge by the pool or sip a cocktail at the chic bar. Well located for exploring the city. Superb. See More
Hotel Solar de Las Animas Tequila, Jalisco 93 rooms from £124City Style - Set in the heart of Tequila in a beautifully restored colonial-era property, this hotel has lots of local city charmLocal exploring - With a prime, central location in Tequila, this hotel makes the perfect starting point for local exploringRomantic Break - Couples love the romantic atmosphere at this luxury hotel; book a couples' massage for a cosy night inRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Nestled beside the landmark Santiago Apostol church, this colonial-style hotel sits in the heart of Tequila. Creole design permeates the guest suites, with statement wooden furniture, traditional textiles and dramatic Mexican architecture. Relax by the outdoor pool; a luxury city bolt-hole. See More
Chantli Mare La Manzanilla, Jalisco 6 rooms from £148Families - With family suites, a dedicated kids' pool, and the beach right there — this is an easy choice for a family beach breakBeach Life - Set directly on a private stretch of beach, this property is all about time spent on the sandsSwimming Pool - Large outdoor pool overlooking the beach and a dedicated kids' pool tooRestaurant - International dishes are served in the restaurant overlooking the sea
A vibrant small hotel set on the beach in La Manzanilla. Rooms are contemporary and bright with bold colours, dark wood furniture, and large glass sliding doors leading onto private terraces. There are two outdoor pools and a popular international restaurant. A relaxed choice for a beach break. See More
Quinta Real Guadalajara Guadalajara (Vallarta Nte) 76 rooms from £164Local exploring - There are a number of worthwhile sights within walking distance of the propertyValue chic - Beautiful, romantic accommodation at a wonderfully affordable price!Great walks - Meander around the city's streets getting a feel for its atmosphereSights nearby - Be sure to go see the historic Guadalajara Cathedral
Quinta Real Guadalajara is nestled in a leafy residential area, a short walk from the city centre. Feel like a VIP in their elegant suite-style accommodation featuring antique furnishings and marble bathrooms! Hop in the pool after a busy day sightseeing for a refreshing dip. Utterly charming. See More
Verana Jalisco 10 rooms from £265Weddings - The hotel offers a range of events packages, including a private wedding ceremony. Enquire at the hotel for detailsHideaway - The hotel is reached via a hike in the jungle after a boat ride, making this a truly hidden bolt-holeBack to Nature - Set in the heart of the jungle in Jalisco, this hotel offers a unique back-to-nature retreatOutstanding locationRecommended by - I Escape
Nestled on a hillside surrounded by native jungle, this bolt-hole is the best-kept secret of Yelapa. In the individually designed suites, exposed stone juxtaposes with thatched roofs and open-air terraces with ocean or jungle views. Book the Pool House for a private pool; a unique eco hotel. See More
Las Alamandas Jalisco 16 rooms from £282Total relaxation - A tranquil resort set within lush gardens and overlooking a stunning white sandy beach.Sailing - Take a scenic boat ride up the San Nicolas river.Surfing - The beach has great waves for surf enthusiasts.Romantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - I Escape, Small Luxury Hotels, Tablet
A tranquil resort set amidst a private ecological reserve and just steps from a white sand beach. Rooms mix traditional charm with contemporary style; think beamed ceilings, white washed walls with bright pops of colour. Feast on healthy fresh Mexican cuisine and unwind under the sun. Bliss. See More
Hacienda San Angel Puerto Vallarta (Centro) 20 rooms from £340City Style - Hacienda San Angel is situated in a perfect location for those looking to get to know quaint Puerto VallartaGreat walks - Stroll through the streets of Puerto Vallarta getting a feel for the city or wander down the coast at sunset and enjoy the viewsRestrictions on children - Adults onlySwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Located high above Puerto Vallarta's cobblestone streets, the elegant Hacienda San Andres features colonial architecture and turn-of-the-century furnishings. Their 20 luxurious suites offer wonderful views whilst their rooftop restaurant serves up exquisite cuisine. A truly magnificent spot! See More
Casa Kimberly Puerto Vallarta 9 rooms from £382City Style - A romantic adult-only property with style harking back to a more elegant era.Sights nearby - Visit the Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe just a short walk from the property.Great walks - Wander along the sculpture-filled seafront Malecon.Restrictions on children - Adult only.
A wonderfully romantic villa boasting stunning views of the Bay of Banderas. Individually designed, colonial style suites feature white washed walls, exposed beams, dark antique furniture and heavenly bathrooms. Iguana Restaurant serves contemporary Mexican cuisine. Utterly beautiful. See More
Cuixmala La Huerta – Jalisco 48850 40 rooms from £429Total relaxation - Set amidst the jungle and just minutes from a stunning beach - paradiseSurfing - Head to Arroyo Seco for excellent surf conditionsViews - Great views from hotelSecluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Find tropical paradise in Sir James Goldsmith's former property. Large rooms are light and airy with white washed walls contrasted by bright turquoise splashes. Dine on Mexican delicacies in the restaurant (private casas get their own chefs) and enjoy any of the numerous activities. Fabulous. See More
Xinalani Puerto Vallarta South Shore 23 rooms from £519Eco break - Rooms only have three walls to allow the seabreeze to act as a c02 free AC, all natural building materials and sustainable foodTotal relaxation - Geared towards yoga fanatics, this health centric retreat offers massage, shamanic rituals and twice daily yoga sessionsYoga - Two daily yoga sessions are included, with three studios- Sand Terrace, Jungle Studio, Meditation Cabin, or GreenhouseOther Activities - With limited WIFI, no tvs, no ipads and no distractions it is time to kick back, relax and be at one with yourselfRecommended by - Tablet
A rustic-chic yoga retreat on the stunning coast 12 miles down from Puerto Vallarta. Only reachable by boat, limited connectivity, open-air bathrooms and daily yoga sessions guarantee that you will get in touch with nature. The food is health conscious and they cater for vegan and gluten free. See More