Search the best hotels in Simon's Town
About Simon's Town
Taking its name from a Dutch governor, Simon van der Stel, who was stationed in Simon's Town during the 17th-century, it's a historic spot with plenty of tales. It is most popular for its laidback feel, high street lined with antique shops, inviting coffee shops, and is known for its fresh seafood restaurants. Another big draw is Boulder's Beach, South Africa's largest colony of African penguins, where travellers can walk amongst their nesting grounds, and swim and sunbathe next to them. Used to visitors, they're pretty non-plussed and are very happy for a photo opportunity - just don't get too close! Our collection of the best places to stay in Simon's Town showcase the best family-run, quirky, boutique hotels, right along the coast.
Located on the shores of False Bay, Simon's Town is also the home of South Africa's Naval Base and has a long maritime history, which can be explored at SA Naval Museum. A delightful reminder of this, is a larger than life statue of Just Nuisance, in Jubilee Square, a Great Dane whose famed escapades in the 1930s, resulted in him becoming the first dog ever to be officially enrolled in the Royal Navy.
What not to miss
- A day at Boulder's Beach, amongst the African penguins, is a must!
- Take an audio tour of Simon's Town's "historic mile" with local author Maureen Miller.
- Simon's Town has plenty of well-priced and interesting museums include The Simon’s Town Museum, SA Naval Museum, and Warrior Toy Museum.
- A local favourite, Bertha’s is widely considered the best spot for fresh seafood with an ocean view.
- Take a boat out to Cape Point with Simon’s Town Boat Company - from whale spotting (in season) to exploring ocean caves.
Our collection of the best places to stay in Simon's Town showcase the best places to stay in this sleepy seaside town.
The Best Places to stay in Simon's Town
For a great value stay
- Right along Simon's Town's buzzy harbour lies Aha Simon's Town Quayside Hotel. Contemporary, smartly decorated, best of all? It's excellent value.
- The only thing smaller than The Hermitage is its room numbers. With just two suites this Victorian townhouse turned guest house provides excellent value plus period features.
- Well-priced, well-located, Chartfield Guest House comes highly recommended. Enjoying an enviable location in the charming seaside town of Kalk Bay.
For a quirky stay
- Each of A Boat House's five rooms is nautically themed. This owner-managed guesthouse is an idiosyncratic stay - one that guests rave about long after they've returned home!
For a B&B stay
- Delightful B&B with sumptuous suites and a hearty breakfast, Mariner's Guesthouse provides great value too. What more could you want!
- The family-owned Simon’s Town Guest House, located in the residential Dido Valley provides a laidback stay within easy reach of Kalk Bay and Boulder's Beach. Personalised service, great value, plus an excellent breakfast included in the rate.
For a contemporary stay
- Stylish modern villa, Residence William French provides superlative service and an intimate stay - walking distance from Boulder's Beach.
- Exquisitely decorated, Tintswalo at Boulders is a very sophisticated stay, moments from Boulder's Beach.
For a heritage stay
- Explore the cobbled streets of Kalk Bay from the Edwardian Inn at Castle Hill. Filled with antiques and original features: sweeping parquet floors, original artwork, roll-top baths, and a wrap-around lattice verandah, it is excellent value.
- The historic St James Guest House overlooks the vibrant fishing village of Kalk Bay. Excellent dining, you're just a 1 km walk from its picturesque harbour.
For a couples' holiday
- Sophisticated suites, sea views, and over 16's only, Watercolours House is a very grown-up stay.
- If you want to rent self-drive to explore the Western Cape, visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- Cape Town International Airport is under an hour’s drive - taxis can be booked easily.
- Best visited in the months of October-November and February-March, December and January can get very hot and dry.
Still not sure?
- Widen the net to include our recommendations in Cape Town and the Western Cape.
- Or contact one of our gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Simon's Town
Best Hotels in Simon's Town
Tintswalo at Boulders Simon's Town (Simon's Town,) 13 rooms from €78Beach Life - Nautical inspired interiors with rooms opening out onto ocean viewsSights nearby - Boulder's Beach and its African Penguin colony is a must visit - moments awayGreat walks - Take a stroll down to the charming Simonstown HarbourSailing - Take a sunset cruise
This 13 bedroom property provides a superb stay within walking distance of Boulder's Beach and its resident penguins. Decorated in nautical palettes it provides a charming stay from which to explore. There's an inviting infinity pool with ocean views plus a delicious breakfast is served. See More