Search the best hotels in Málaga
Far more than just the gateway to the ever-popular Costa del Sol, Málaga is an historic Mediterranean port city brimming with cultural sites, beautiful buildings and superb food. There is a broad range of accommodation on offer, from simple guesthouses to high-end hotels, catering to a whole host of budgets. Whether you’re dreaming of plush rooms with Cathedral views or blissful days at a seaside spa, our pick of the best places to stay in Málaga promises something superb for everyone.
Home to a fascinating fusion of cultural influences, Málaga is bursting with gorgeous architecture and intriguing history to unravel. Explore the ancient remains of a Roman theatre, before visiting the medieval Alcazaba, a beautiful Moorish palace-fortress. Gaze down at the city from the Castillo de Gibralfaro, an 11th-century Islamic hilltop fortress, and admire the impressive Gothic Cathedral in the charming historic centre. Stroll the narrow pedestrianised streets of the old town for lovely boutiques, lively bars and popular cafes spilling out onto the cobbles. Málaga has a burgeoning foodie scene, and there’s lots to savour both in the historic centre and along the renovated seafront.
Recent investment in the city and in the old port has led to extensive restorations and the opening of some excellent museums. Don’t miss the Centro Pompidou Málaga — the first outside France — or the astounding collection of the Museo Picasso, home to 204 works by the great artist, who was born in the city. The Botanical Gardens are a real favourite, whilst the quirky Museo Automovilístico Málaga features a blend of fashion and cars that dazzles and delights.
Enhance your understanding of the city’s past with a guided walking tour, unwind on nearby La Malagueta beach, or venture east of the city for days of soaking up the sunshine on lovely beaches.
Our selection of the best places to stay in Málaga offers funky seaside spots, family-friendly properties and luxurious resorts ideal for a trip to remember.
The Best Places to Stay in Málaga
For a City Break
- Room Mate Larios is a lovely townhouse with simple, modern rooms and a smart, contemporary feel. It’s a short stroll from the main sites, and boasts a fantastic rooftop terrace and bar. Consistently excellent, ideally located and great value.
- Molina Lario is a delightful hotel set right opposite the Cathedral, in the very heart of Málaga. Featuring plush, contemporary rooms, an atmospheric bar and stunning views over the city’s rooftops, this is a chic, romantic spot for a city break.
- Posada del Patio is a smart five-star hotel in the historic centre of the city. Rooms boast minimalist designer furnishings with bright pops of colour, as well as private balconies. There’s a striking rooftop pool with exceptional city views, and ancient ruins directly underneath the hotel! A super central base.
- Petit Palace Plaza offers modern, airy rooms in a charming old townhouse right in the centre of Málaga. Flexible family room configurations — some of which include bunk beds — make this a great spot for the whole gang. There’s free bike rental and special gifts for little ones, too. Pets are also welcome!
For sea views
- Room Mate Valeria is a stylish design hotel with bright blue and green decor, mirroring its striking seaside and verdant garden setting. Think fresh, funky decor, bright cocktail spots and a great location near the harbour. It's just 10 minutes' walk to La Malagueta beach.
- Gran Hotel Miramar is a striking historic hotel overlooking lovely La Malagueta beach. Think beautiful Moorish and Andalusian design, spacious, luxuriously-appointed rooms, a stellar spa and a whole host of delectable restaurants.
Prefer an Apartment or Villa?
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Málaga Airport is an easily accessible hub, with connections to many airports. Regular buses from the airport to the city leave every 30 minutes.
- Contact our partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car. We highly recommend doing so if you’re planning to explore more of the Costa del Sol!
- Málaga is a year-round destination, with sunshine aplenty. It’s often sunny and mild enough to perch outdoors at lively cafes in December and January, whilst the city is at its busiest over Easter. Do book your stay well in advance as this is a hugely popular place to visit!
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Marbella.
- Alternatively, see our pick of the best places to stay on the Costa del Sol, or all our recommendations in Andalucia.
- Or, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Málaga
Best Hotels in Málaga
Petit Palace Plaza Málaga 66 rooms from €81FamiliesSights nearby - Central location next to Larios Street and the Cathedral. Picasso and Thyssen-Bornemisza museums close by.Local markets - Good for local colour.
Room Mate Larios Málaga 45 rooms from €89Views - Stunning city views from the rooftop terraceDowntown - Very centrally positioned.Sights nearby - Bang in the centre of town. A short walk from the Cathedral and the Picasso MuseumSailing - Can be booked nearby.
Room Mate Valeria Málaga 61 rooms from €85Local markets - Five minutes walk from Atarazanas Market.Sights nearby - Five minutes walk from Malaga Cathedral.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Romantic - Good for couples.
Posada del Patio Málaga 106 rooms from €104City Style - A chic stay in the centre of Malaga, close to all its attractionsViews - Superb views over the city from the rooftop terrace5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Sights nearby - Located in the historical centre of Malaga. Cathedral & Picasso Museum are close by. Arab & Roman ruins below the hotel
Molina Lario Málaga 103 rooms from €161Local markets - Five minutes walk from the Atarazanas Market.Sights nearby - A stone's throw from Malaga Cathedral.Lively area - In the thick of the action.Lively - Hip and happening.
Gran Hotel Miramar Málaga 190 rooms from €247Beach Life - Right by the beach in the smart Caleta area, with a seaside promenade and plenty of beach bars in easy reachCity Style - Grand style meets contemporary luxe at this hotel, with full-on urban seaside grandeurSights nearby - The Alcazaba fortress, the Roman theatre just beyond the Alcazaba and the baroque-renaissance Malaga Cathedral are all a mustLocal markets - Sample local produce and tapas at the covered Ataranzas Market
Seeped in history, this grand luxury hotel is set on pretty Malagueta beach. Combining Moorish and Andalusian finishes, with grand archways and leafy courts. Rooms are bright and modern with generous beds. Offering a wide choice of restaurants, a superb spa and a huge pool to unwind besides. See More