Congratulations - your website is looking brilliant. Libbla Kelly.
Search the best hotels in Ayrshire
Set alongside the southwestern coastline of Scotland, Ayrshire is an ideal destination for a rural break. Boasting a landscape of rolling green hills seemingly ruffled by the wind, a gleaming coastline of rugged sandstone cliffs overlooking the dark grey Irish Sea, it is an area of breathtaking natural beauty. The home of Scotland's national bard, Rabbie Burns, Ayrshire teams with stark castle ruins once inhabited by the lowland clans, as well as over 50 golf courses, but Ayrshire's specialty lies in its sumptuous cuisine: whether it's beef, lamb or mutton, Ayrshire farmers are renowned throughout the world for their quality produce, which you will find being served in hotels, restaurants and old traditional pubs. Picturesque, simple and revitalising, and only 40 minutes from Glasgow. The accommodation is varied with something for everyone. Our pick of the best places to stay in Ayrshire range from charming rural cottages to luxury hotels.
What not to miss
- Take the ferry out to the Isle of Arran and explore the beautiful island's rugged coastline and looming mountains, like Goat Fell.
- Enjoy a round of golf at one of the 50 golf courses in the region.
- Head over to Alloway, on the outskirts of Ayr, and visit the thatched cottage once the home of Robert Burns.
- Place a bet on a horse at the Ayr Racecourse.
- Immerse yourself in industrial history at the Scottish Industrial Railway Centre.
- Explore Culzean Castle, an elegant 18th century castle that once housed the Kennedy clan.
- Check out the Maclaurin Art Gallery in Ayr - featuring modern art dating largely from the early 20th century onwards.
Full of outstanding natural beauty, superb food and a great range of activities, Ayrshire is the perfect place to go for a family holiday in Scotland. Browse through our collection of the best places to stay in Ayrshire to start planning your trip.
The best places to stay in Ayrshire
- Ladyburn House: indulgent breakfasts, traditionally-furnished rooms adorned with antiques and award-winning manicured gardens, this gorgeous country house is amazing value for money. Set amidst woodland and rolling fields, it is the perfect place for a rural getaway.
- Dumfries House Lodge: a cosy lodge set in the Dumfries House estate, offering traditional rooms with chintz fabrics and antique furniture and an elegant lounge with a roaring fireplace. An authentic Scottish experience! Perfect hideaway nest for couples.
- Cosses Country House: in the heart of the valleys of Crailoch Burn, this 17th century house offers acres of gardens, pastel-coloured rooms and locally-sourced, hearty rural food. Delightful!
- Glenapp Castle: you can't get more authentically Scottish than this. A family-owned baronial castle in the heart of the lowlands, with fairytale turrets and towers, offering oak-panelled rooms with fine antiques and rich fabrics, not to mention an award-winning restaurant. Pure Scottish luxury.
For an apartment or cottage
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of cottages and apartments in the nearby area.
- The best time to go is during the summer when the temperature ranges between 11 and 20 degrees.
- Fly to Glasgow International Airport and get a train to Ayr from where you can get a taxi or bus to your destination.
- If you want to rent a car we recommend contacting our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Scotland
- or the United Kingdom
- or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Ayrshire
Ladyburn House 5 rooms from €91Maybole, Ayrshire
An elegant country house set within award winning gardens. Traditionally dressed rooms feature antique furniture, chintz fabrics and the best have four posters. A 'granny flat' offers privacy for families. Indulgent breakfasts are served and there's a host of rural pursuits in the area.Country Escape - A tranquil spot, set in beautiful gardens and surrounded by pristine countryside.Restrictions on children - Children above 12 are welcome in the main house and children of all ages can stay in the granny flatFishing - Fly fishing can be arranged on the Kilkerran stretch of the Water of Girvan.Full of character
Dumfries House Lodge 22 rooms from €103Ayrshire
A cosy lodge situated on the Dumfries House estate. Rooms are traditionally dressed with chintz fabrics, antique furniture and patterned wallpaper. An elegant lounge with open fireplace is ideal to unwind after a day spent outdoors. An authentic Scottish experience.Country Escape - A traditional Scottish lodge, with crackling fires and cosy rooms, placed on a larger estate ideal for a rural escape.Sights nearby - Take a tour of Dumfries house built for William Crichton-Dalrymple, the 5th Earl of Dumfries between 1754 and 1759.Great walks - Take long walks through the manicured gardens and surrounding parkland.Remote - Off the beaten track.
Cosses Country House 5 rooms from €125Ballantrae, Ayrshire
The valleys of Crailoch Burn are home to this 17th century property. There are open log fires, 12 acres of manicured gardens and pictures of the family black labs! Country house in style, rooms have pastel colours and floral fabrics. Locally sourced food is served. A Scottish home from home!Sights nearby - Visit the historic Culzean Castle or the birthplace of the famous Scottish bard Robert "Rabbie" Burns.Great walks - Beneraird Hill and the old road from Ballantrae to New Luce are excellent walking routes.Birdwatching - Ballantrae Bird Sanctuary has Gannets, Peregrine Falcons and even Puffins can be seen.Fishing - Catch your very own Scottish salmon in the River Stinchar.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
Lochgreen House 32 rooms from €279Southwood Troon
A luxurious rural property boasting a secluded spot within its own gardens and woodlands. Elegant rooms are traditionally and individually styled. Downstairs there are grand sitting rooms with roaring fires, an award winning restaurant and spoiling spa. An ideal spot for completely unwinding.Total relaxation - A country house hotel set in 30 acres of woodlands and manicured gardens and also featuring an indulgent spa.Great walks - Find miles of scenic walking trails to be explored.Remote - Off the beaten track.Full of character
Glenapp Castle 17 rooms from €496Ayrshire
A family owned and occupied baronial castle in the south west of Scotland's historic lowlands. Underneath its fairytale turrets and towers there are oak-panelled rooms, rich fabrics and fine antiques, as well as modern award winning cuisine and impeccable service. The perfect country escape.Fishing - Salmon and trout fishing can be organised from the hotelSecluded setting - For escaping.Outstanding locationFull of characterRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux