Search the best hotels in Ludlow
Ludlow is a walled and picturesque medieval town nestled between South Shropshire and the Welsh Marches. Described by John Betjeman as "the loveliest town in England", it is the ideal destination for a romantic weekend away. With charming Georgian houses strewn along a hill, overslooking the River Teme and centred around the imposing might of Ludlow Castle, it is steeped in history. Crammed full with indepedent shops and local markets - from antiques fairs to farmers' markets - you will find yourself lost in a world that seems older, quieter and slower than the usual modern life. Some of the best places to stay in Ludlow can also be found just outside the town itself in the lovely Shropshire countryside.
Within the old town walls, the historic centre of Ludlow is as old as it is beautiful. With over 500-listed buildings - a mix of medieval, Tudor and Georgian architecture - there is much to see. Ludlow Castle should be your first port-of-call: originally built in the 11th-century by the Normans, it stands above the River Teme and provides gorgeous panoramic views of the Shropshire countryside.
Then move on to the lovely St. Laurence's Church - like the castle it was built in the 11th-century, while being added to further in the ensuing centuries. With a 135ft tower, it is the largest parish church in Shropshire and is known as the "Cathedral of the Marches".
Ludlow is also a great base from which to explore the hills of Shropshire and the Marches. The Shropshire Hills are a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and are ideal for a walking holiday.
Ludlow is home to many fairs, festivals and markets throughout the year. In Castle Square, there is a market nearly every day, whether it's the Farmers' Market or antiques fair. The real attraction is the Medieval Christmas Fayre - held between the 23rd-24th of November - which is not to be missed. Full of storytellers, falconry, folk musicians and duels between armoured knights. The Ludlow Food Festival, held in late September, is world-renowned and extremely fun to visit.
What not to miss
- Head over to Ludlow Castle and walk around the imposing Norman structure, admiring the gorgeous scenery of the rolling green Shropshire hills from your vantage point atop the cliffs.
- Ludlow Museum, found within the historic centre, spins a great historical yarn of the town, tracing the social and architectural history through creative interactive experiences.
- Go for a stroll in Whitecliffe Common and enjoy the panoramic views.
- Check out St. Laurence's Church, a pretty 11th-century church with a gorgeous 135ft tower.
- If you're there in late November, the Medieval Christmas Fayre is a real spectacle. An entertaining mix of good food, ale, storytellers, falconry, folk music and duels between armoured knights.
Our collection of the best places to stay in Ludlow tend to be small quaint properties with just a handful of rooms so in order to ensure your reservation we recommend planning your trip well in advance.
The best places to stay in Ludlow
- Dinham Hall: ideal for those looking to explore Ludlow, this gorgeous townhouse offers 13 traditionally furnished rooms and a fantastic gourmet restaurant.
- Old Downton Lodge: beautifully refurbished 18th-century farmhouse, offering 9 rustic-chic rooms with exposed wooden beams and four-poster-beds. Ideal for a romantic getaway.
- The Graig: a truly elegant B&B set in a beautiful country house, offering 5 luxurious and bright rooms. Ideal for a hiking holiday. Just 3 miles from Ludlow.
- Timberstone: an idyllic stone cottage welcoming families and hopeless romantics to its quiet hideaway location. A lovely rural escape.
For an apartment or cottage
- If self-catering is your preferred option we recommend you check out the options with our partner Booking.com.
- Trains run frequently from London directly to Ludlow with the fastest connections taking just over two hours.
- If you want to rent a car, contact to our partner Rentalcars.
- During the summer, the temperature in Shropshire is lovely and clement, ranging between 18 and 21 degrees.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Shropshire
- or look through all our options in neighbouring Herefordshire,
- or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Ludlow
Best Hotels in Ludlow
The Clive Arms Ludlow 17 rooms from €100Foodies - The restaurant is the focal point with good modern British fare served, and much of the produce sourced within 3 milesCountry Escape - Expect interiors offering modern comforts with a cosy traditional feel, hearty food, and beautiful walking countryRomantic Break - For couples, pick one of the rooms with an in-room freestanding bathtubSights nearby - There are several stately homes and castles in the area to visit including Croft Castle and Ludlow Castle
A pretty red brick country inn boasting a spectacular setting amidst the 8000-acre Oakly Park Estate. Interiors are contemporary rural with exposed beams, chequered blankets, & some rooms with freestanding tubs. The restaurant is the real lure with modern British fare. Laidback rural perfection. See More
Timberstone Ludlow (Clee Stanton) 4 rooms from €113Country Escape - An idyllic part of the English countryside to escape to for a weekend of rest and rejuvenate.Active Holiday - Climbing the Clee Hill, browsing the local markets, exploring the local castles and more.Families - With a family room, and plenty of activities to keep the kiddies entertained.Sights nearby - Stokesay Castle is a short drive away. The location for the film 'Atonement' with Keira Knightley and James McAvoy.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
An idyllic stone cottage welcomes families and hopeless romantics to its quiet hideaway location. Exposed beams, calming colours and soak tubs make up the comfortable rooms. Breakfast is worth waking up for and sets you in good stead for a day of local exploring and nature rambling. See More
The Graig Ludlow (Shropshire) 5 rooms from €133Foodies - Although The Graig does not serve dinners, Ludlow is renowned for its excellent retaurants and annual Food FestivalLocal exploring - The Graig is ideally located for exploring Ludlow and the surrounding countryside.Great walks - The Graig is located on the edge of the Shropshire Hills Area of Outstanding Beauty, which has a wide range of great walksSights nearby - You're just 3 miles from historic Ludlow
An elegant B&B situated in the Shropshire hills just outside Ludlow. The five bedrooms are individually decorated and all boast luxurious touches including Egyptian cotton linens and walk in wet rooms. Lovely mature gardens and stunning panoramic views. The perfect base for local exploring. See More
Dinham Hall Hotel Ludlow 13 rooms from €167Local exploring - Set in a beautiful market town, the whole region offers numerous cultural and outdoor activities.Great walks - Take long walks through the picturesque Mortimer Forest.Local markets - Peruse the famers market in Ludlow's Market Square.Sights nearby - Take a tour of the neighbouring Ludlow Castle.
An imposing town house located in the historic market town of Ludlow. Traditionally dressed rooms feature antique furniture, high ceilings and large sash windows draped with heavy curtains. The restaurant is worthy of a visit alone and the surrounding region has plenty to do. See More
Old Downton Lodge Ludlow 9 rooms from €225Foodies - Enjoy locally sourced seasonal produce crafted into an innovative and creative tasting menu by their award winning chefBack to Nature - With Downton Gorge National Nature Reserve on your doorstep, this is the perfect spot to get back in touch with natureCountry Escape - Old Downton Lodge is the ideal place to rejuvenate far away from the hustle and bustle of modern lifeFishing - Ludlow has plenty of top fishing spots, head out with Peter Giles, their Advanced InstructorRecommended by - Sawdays
This stunning refurbished Shropshire farmhouse, expertly blends old with new. Some rooms come with four-poster beds and all have modern bathrooms. Enjoy meals in the elegant dining room over the weekend. This 18th-century getaway is a great choice for a quiet country retreat! See More