Search the best hotels in Northumberland
One of our favourite counties, vast, beautiful and relatively little visited, Northumberland feels far from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Our pick of the best places to stay in Northumberland are perfect bases to explore this stunning region (many are pet friendly too), whether you're here for the beaches or the pretty villages and market towns.
There are miles of empty golden sandy beaches and stunning countryside set amongst two areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and the rugged Northumberland National Park. The county is home to countless castles and the birthplace of English Christianity, the Holy Island of Lindisfarne. The pretty towns and villages make for the perfect setting ideal for hikers, mountain bikers or couples looking to find a romantic country escape.
What not to miss
- Visit Haridan’s Wall, a long, tapering Roman structure along the coastal country-side. Known to be Roman Britain’s biggest building project, the Wall leaves a lasting impression. All along the Wall, you will find countless mini Roman structures such as milecastles, temples and forts.
- Northumberland National Park is a great spot for long treks in authentic English countryside. A beautiful place to escape to acres of land filled with clear air, clean waters and deep, dark skies.
- The Holy Island of Lindisfarne is well-known as the ancient epicentre of Christianity in Anglo Saxon times. Despite years of Viking raids and harsh weather conditions, this island remains a significant place of pilgrimage even today.
- Discover some of the country’s most legendary walking paths or visit charming market towns like Alnwick for fresh, locally sourced meals.
- Enjoy the Northumberland Coast, and stay in Bamburgh for its wonderful castle.
The region offers a variety of accommodation and we have scoured the lands, inspecting numerous establishments and discarding most as ordinary. The remainder, rest assured, are the ones that stood out and are the best places to stay in Northumberland.
The Best Places to Stay in Northumberland
For the coast
- Close to what is arguably one of Northumberland's prettiest beaches, Beadnell Towers may be unassuming on the outside, but inside you're in for a treat. Design-led interiors combine with lovely original features to create a seriously stylish boutique property. The restaurant serves exceptional food too.
Northumberland's Best Country Inns
Most of our selection of the best places to stay in Northumberland come in the form of country inns. These traditional hostelries now offer tasteful accommodation, plus all the benefits of a pub with rooms. Our favourites are:
- The Battlesteads Hotel & Restaurant located right in the heart of Northumberland, is a great choice for cosy comfort in a modern lodge-style accommodation. This off-beat property has carved a niche for its eco-principles and inventive menus.
- The Angel Inn at Corbidge is a traditional property also in the middle of rural Northumberland. The rooms are simple, comfortable and offer a warm setting of fire places and iron beds. Expect delicious meals inspired by the local produce.
- Located right in the middle of the National Park is The Pheasant Inn. It serves as the perfect base for fishing or walkers interested in a nearby stroll in the park.
- The Duke of Wellington Inn is a stylish yet relaxed country pub with classy rooms. What’s more, despite being off the main tourist track, it has built up a great following for food. Accessible by both Northumberland and Newcastle places it in a unique spot.
- St Mary’s Inn is a great place to start your exploration of the county as it is in close vicinity of Hadrian's Wall and Newcastle. A great choice for delcious food and a warm bed.
Northumberland's Best Country House Hotels
- The lovely Thistleyhaugh is an old Georgian farmhouse B&B owned by the same family for the last one hundred years! It is full of antiques and period features with wonderful views of the region's country side.
- Another luxurious property is Chatton Park House. Former home of the Duke of Northumberland, it boasts a stately character that makes for a remarkable stay. Rooms are Edwardian in proportions with large sash windows. The four acres of land hold individual cottages and tennis courts. And of course, don't miss the full English breakfast served in grand spendour.
- Located on the stunning north-east coast is St Cuthbert's House. This award-winning B&B was once a Presbyterian church. A great escape from city streets for a picturesque, sea-side vacation.
- Eshott Hall is a beautiful and relaxed 17th century property. The entire house is filled with period features, including original William Morris stained glass. Rooms are elegant, filled with delicate antiques, ideal for art enthusiasts.
- Walkwick Hall, a handsome Georgian house almost sits on Hadrian's Wall. It has a fresh, country-house style with peerless views over the beautiful landscape. To top it off, it offers smart food as well as a bijou leisure centre and spa!
The Best Northumberland Town Hotels
- The Bondgate Boutique is a miniature Georgian townhouse in the centre of historic Alnwick village. Stylish in decor, this beautiful building mixes classic with a smart urban feel. With castles and gardens on the doorstep, it offers an ideal base to explore the nearby scenery as well as the nearby pubs and restaurants.
- The Victoria Hotel is located in the historic coastal town of Bamburgh. A great place to explore nearby treasures, including lovely beaches and coves! The rooms are spacious and comfortable with spectacular castle views.
Northumberland Golf and Spa Resorts
- The Matfen Hall brings you tasteful luxury in the midst of the country parkland. Rooms are cheerful and modern with top notch facilities including an 18 hole golf course, golf academy, spa and much more.
For a holiday cottage
- If you want your own little place in Northumberland, why not rent a holiday cottage or apartment. We recommend the selection with our online partner Booking.com.
- The closest aiport in the region is the Newcastle International Airport (a 45-minute drive to Alnwick). Youu can also reach Northumberland from the Durham Tees Valley International Airport, just over an hour’s drive south of Morpeth.
- Alternatively, trains run from London’s Kings Cross to Newcastle, Morpeth, Alnmouth and Berwick-upon-Tweed.
- The region boasts a charm of its own for every season, however, the best time to vist is the spring for the fresh blossoms in the nature reserves and the summer to enjoy a peaceful seaside vacation.
- If you wish to hire a care, which we adivse if you plan to tour the region, we recommend you check out our online partner Rentalcars for the best prices.
Still not sure?
- Browse our selection of the best places to stay in Northumberland and start to plan your visit.
- Alternatively check out our full list of recommendations in Cumbria or Durham.
- Or contact a friendly guru for advice.
Monthly Weather in Northumberland
Best Hotels in Northumberland
Charlton Hall Alnwick (Northumberland) 22 rooms from €114Boutique - With its mix of traditional and contemporary plus a selection of quirky objets Charlton Hall ticks all the boutique boxesRomantic Break - With stunning interiors and a gorgeous rural location this a fabulous romantic boltholeWeddings - Charlton Hall is primed for hosting exclusive and extravagant weddings!Opulent
An opulent country hall turned luxury wedding venue/B&B just outside Alnwick. Individually designed suites both in the main house and additional outbuildings ooze contemporary style, yet merge beautifully with the original period details. A stunning property either for a romantic getaway or party. See More
The Whittling House Alnwick 10 rooms from €161Families - With a laidback feel, beaches on the doorstep, and even the dog welcome - this is perfect for a family breakCountry Escape - The lovely coastal setting, rural chic rooms, and fabulous restaurant make this an idyllic country staySights nearby - Alnwick Castle, UK’s second largest lived-in castle & home of Duke of Northumberland plus the setting of Harry Potter filmsRestaurant - Locally sourced seasonal British dishes are served in the restaurant
A restaurant with rooms set close to the beach in pretty Alnmouth. Rural chic rooms feature pastel hues, modern art, and stylish modern fabrics. The buzzing restaurant serves very good seasonal British dishes and there's a convivial bar too. A smart coastal stay suited to families or couples. See More
Beadnell Towers Beadnell, Northumberland 22 rooms from €167Romantic Break - The Muckle Hoose is cunningly designed for 2 with its pair of copper tubs, twin drench showers, and an enormous sink-into bedFamilies - There's a very family-friendly atmosphere. Expect kids menus in the restaurant and you can even bring the dog too!Great walks - There are several coastal routes, ideal for building up an appetite for the hearty pub fareRestaurant - Local ingredients are used to create contemporary pub food with a speciality in seafood
A stylish yet relaxed seaside boutique hotel, rich with original features. Design-led bedrooms are individually styled with standout patterned headboards, and exposed stonework, many have copper tubs. Downstairs, a lively restaurant serves exceptional food. A laidback, dog-friendly coastal stay. See More
Chatton Park House Alnwick, Northumberland 5 rooms from €229Great walks - The Cheviot Hills have many walking paths and great views along the way.Sights nearby - Alnwick and Bamburgh Castle are both nearby.Restrictions on children - Children over the age of 18 permitted.Full of character
Former home of the Duke of Northumberland, this stately property makes for a luxury adult-only country stay. Rooms are Georgian in proportions with large sash windows and a 'Country Living' style as well as a separate cottage. There are 4 acres of gardens. A very private place to stay. See More
The Bondgate Boutique Alnwick (Northumberland) 7 rooms from €63Great walks - Alnwick Garden is within walking distance and pretty place to wander around.Sights nearby - The medieval Alnwick Castle is a must.Boutique
A miniature Georgian town house converted into stylish, boutique accommodation with a smart, urban feel. In the centre of historic Alnwick - with castle and gardens on the door-step - it offers great value and is strolling distance to pubs and restaurants. See More
The Walls B&B Berwick-upon-Tweed 3 rooms from €92Sights nearby - Visit Northumberland castles at Etal, Lindisfarne and Bamburgh.Local markets - Browse Berwick Market on Wednesdays and Saturdays.Full of characterSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Luxury townhouse B&B magnificently set on Berwick’s town walls with stunning views over the River Tweed estuary. Rooms are light and elegant, breakfasts a highlight and the atmosphere relaxed. It's a great base from which to explore the town and surrounding coastline. See More
The Pheasant Inn, Northumberland Hexham, Northumberland 8 rooms from €98Sailing - On nearby Kielder Water.TraditionalFishing - Excellent fishing nearby.Great walks - Good for walkers.
The epitome of a traditional inn - downstairs is a cosy pub with a roaring fire, beamed ceilings, horse brasses adorning the walls and local ales being pulled at the bar. Food is unpretentious and hearty while rooms are simple and cosy. See More
The Victoria Hotel Bamburgh 29 rooms from €88Local exploring - Perfect for exploring the historic town of Bamburgh, and the lovely beaches and coves further along the coast.Tennis - The hotel has its own tennis court, spend an afternoon working up a sweat.Sights nearby - Visit the magnificent Bamburgh Castle, less than ten minutes walk away.Views - Great views from hotel
Lying in the shadow of Bamburgh Castle, the Victoria Hotel is a great place to stay while exploring the picturesque surroundings of Northumberland. The rooms are comfortable and spacious with many affording views of the castle. An idyllic countryside escape in Northumberland. See More
Thistleyhaugh Morpeth, Northumberland 5 rooms from €104Secluded setting - For escaping.House party feel - Be prepared to meet people.Remote - Off the beaten track.Restaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
Lovely Georgian farmhouse set in sprawling farmland See More
St Mary's Inn Morpeth, Northumberland 11 rooms from €104Sights nearby - Hadrian’s Wall and Newcastle are both nearby.Sailing - Take a boat out to the remote Farne Islands.Great walks - Into the woods of nearby Hartburn Glebe.Restaurant - Recommended.
Large and handsome - cosy, welcoming downstairs and cool, stylish bedrooms upstairs. A great choice of food, and with a muddle of dogs, walkers and locals in the bar, it’s a friendly and welcoming base for exploring Northumberland or a useful stop-over for journeys between the south and Scotland. See More
William de Percy Inn Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland 25 rooms from €104Local exploring - A great base from which to explore the charms of Northumberland.Great walks - The surrounding countryside is full of lovely walking routes.Sights nearby - Visit the stunning nearby Woodhill Hall.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
An unexpected boutique-hotel find in the middle of wild Northumberland. Fun and flirty bedrooms mix with rustic-chic public areas that include a lively bar-restaurant. It’s also a popular, and very quirky, wedding venue See More
Angel Inn at Corbridge Corbridge, Northumberland 7 rooms from €109Country Escape - Traditional British inn set in rural Northumberland, with all the trimmings and even a fish and chip takeaway!Local markets - Hexham Farmers' Market takes place every second and fourth Saturday of the month, head down to pick up some fresh local produce.Great walks - Wonderful walking from the hotel around the surrounding countryside.Sights nearby - Corbridge Roman Site is only a ten minute walk away.
A former coaching inn, in the centre of a charming market town, with a rustic-chic makeover, smart bedrooms and a buzzy bar that's also a locals’ favourite. Sun-trap terrace, too. See More
Carraw B&B Humshaugh, Hexham, Northumberland 9 rooms from €111Country Escape - Boasting a secluded spot, cosy interiors and fabulous walking country.Sights nearby - Major Roman sites, such as Vindolanda and Housesteads, are within 10 to 20 minutes’ drive.Great walks - Northumberland National park provides endless beautiful walking trails.Restrictions on children - Adult only
Luxurious B&B in a stunning position on Hadrian’s Wall with horizon-stretching views and walks on the doorstep. Choose between characterful farmhouse rooms or airy Scandi-style rooms in a modern chalet. Excellent home-made food, too. See More
Langley Castle Hexham, Northumberland 27 rooms from €115Great walks - The castle has some lovely walking trails through the surrounding woodland.Sights nearby - If you want to see more castles visit Bywell or Prudhoe Castle.Romantic - Good for couples.Traditional
Northumberland is known for its castles, and here you can stay in one: a 14th-century affair that won’t disappoint with its battlements, massive walls, grand rooms and huge fireplaces. Sprawl in the vast drawing-room, dine amidst candles and sleep either in the castle or with castle views. See More
The Hadrian Hotel & Hjem Restaurant Northumberland 11 rooms from €115Country Escape - A charming hotel, complete with superb food and roaring fires, surrounded by some of Northumberland's prettiest countrysideFoodies - The fine dining restaurant which serves Scandinavian cuisine is both ambitious and very well executedGreat walks - Walk alongside Hadrian’s Wall and through Northumberland National ParkSights nearby - Visit the Roman sites of Housesteads Fort, Chesters Fort and Vindolanda
With its choice of creative dining or robust pub food, plus a location near Hadrian's Wall, this village coaching inn appeals to both adventurous foodies and walkers. Bedrooms are simple yet comfortable, the staff are welcoming and the views terrific. See More
Doxford Hall Hotel & Spa Alnwick, Northumberland 36 rooms from €126Country Escape - Beautiful setting in the Northumberland countryside, a true escape.Sights nearby - Alnwick Castle and Garden is just a short drive away.Sailing - Boat trips to the Farne Islands leave from Seahouses.Great walks - Set out on the Northumberland coastal path.
Georgian country-house hotel in large grounds, with spacious and elegant rooms yet a laidback and friendly atmosphere. Fine-dining restaurant, spa and pool, and popular for family celebrations as well as couples on weekend breaks. See More
St Cuthbert's House Bamburgh (Seahouses) 6 rooms from €127B+B - England's best B&B 2014.Country EscapeRestrictions on children - Only children over 12 welcomeFull of character
Presbyterian church turned award-winning bed and breakfast on the stunning north-east coast. If searching for an escape from a busy lifestyle, or for a picturesque tourist visit, this bed and breakfast is ideal. See More
The Beaumont, Hexham Hexham, Northumberland 33 rooms from €133Families - With five of the suites offering an extra bed at no additional cost and a kids' menu, this is a family friendly stayBoutique - An upgraded Victorian Hotel offering funky modern design and a noteworthy restaurant - a boutique havenFoodies - Modern British cuisine is beautifully presented and very tasty - a real lureGreat walks - There are some beautiful walks in the surrounding countryside
A beautifully renovated Victorian hotel with a noteworthy restaurant in the market town of Hexham. Individually styled rooms vary in size but all have pops of bright colours, chic patterned wallpaper, and large windows. The modern British fare is a real lure as is the location by the abbey. See More
Battlesteads Hotel & Restaurant nr Hexham, Northumberland 22 rooms from €133Great walks - Hadrian's Wall & Keilder WaterRestaurant - Home grown foodBirdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.Traditional
In the heart of Northumberland, yet still accessible, this traditional coaching inn has carved a niche for its eco-principles. Menus are inventive, much from the kitchen garden, while rooms offer a choice of cosy comfort or modern lodge-style. See More
Post Office House Bamburgh (Northumberland) 3 rooms from €135Local exploring - Ideally located to access Northumberland's delights from beaches to castles and countryside.Sights nearby - Visit St Cuthbert’s Cave, under the care of the National Trust.Great walks - Discover the Cheviot Hills on long scenic walks.Restrictions on children - Adult onlyRecommended by - Sawdays
A quaint B&B - the former Post Office - in the charming village of Belford. Lovingly renovated throughout, the rooms feature cast iron beds, classic fabrics and sash windows. Feast on hearty breakfasts complete with espressos before exploring the picturesque region. See More
Duke of Wellington Inn Newton, Northumberland 7 rooms from €138Sights nearby - Hadrian’s Wall, Newcastle’s museums, galleries, historic attractionsGreat walks - including Hadrian’s Wall long-distance pathTraditional
A stylish yet relaxed country pub with classy rooms that has built up a great following for its food despite being off the main tourist track. It makes a good base for exploring both Northumberland and Newcastle and has stunning views south across the Tyne valley. See More
Eshott Hall Northumberland 16 rooms from €138Great walks - The property has its very own arboretum as well as formal gardens. With 35-acres there is plenty to explore here.Sailing - Off Northumberland's rugged coastline. Enquire with the hotel for information regarding sailing trips.Tennis - The property has it's own tennis courts which guests are free to enjoy.Sights nearby - The historic Alnwick castle is a must visit.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
This wisteria covered 17th century property promises a relaxed country house stay. Following a Herculean restoration owners have maintained period features (including an original William Morris stain glass) and created elegant rooms filled with antiques. A formal dining room serves a gourmet menu. See More
Collingwood Arms Cornhill-On-Tweed, Northumberland 15 rooms from €150Total relaxation - Chill in the charming garden, settle in by the roaring fires and feast on the wholesome food.Sights nearby - Nearby historic sights include Melrose and Kelso Abbeys and Bamburgh and Lindisfarne Castles.Fishing - Just yards from the River Tweed, this is a very popular spot come fishing season.Great walks - Get your wellies on and explore the Muirs and Hills of the Scottish Borders.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
A wonderful converted coaching inn on the River Tweed. The elegant rooms are tastefully decorated with neutral tones and crisp linens. Choose between the informal pub and the parquet floored restaurant, both serving wholesome gourmet cuisine. A great country escape with wonderful walks and fishing. See More
The Joiners Arms Northumberland 5 rooms from €161Great walks - This is ideal great walking country with something for all abilities.Restaurant - Great quality home style cooking using fresh local produce.Sights nearby - Farne Islands, Alnwick Castle, Holy Island.Outstanding location - Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
A romantic ‘weekend treat’ gastropub, close to one of Northumberland’s prettiest beaches. Rooms are big and sexy, the decoration eclectic, and the food smart and hearty. Surrounded by lovely walks and peaceful countryside, too. See More
The Percy Arms, Northumberland Northumberland 5 rooms from €161Country Escape - A charming rural retreat surrounded by picturesque Northumberland countryside.Sights nearby - Visit the historic castles at Bamburgh, Chillingham, Dunstanburgh or Alnwick.Great walks - Walk along the pristine beaches and through the beaches and Cheviot Hills.Sailing - Take a boat trip to the Farne Islands.
This relaxed country inn, with a contemporary-rustic freshness and low-key country-house style bedrooms, is beautifully peaceful and well-placed for exploring both Northumberland's coast and countryside. See More
The Northumberland Arms Felton, Northumberland 6 rooms from €161Sights nearby - Alnwick Castle & Garden, Warkworth Castle, and many National Trust properties to visitGreat walks - Coastal paths or country hikes, this is excellent walking countryLocal markets - There are regular farmers' markets in both Alnwick and MorpethRestaurant - Serving pub classics/modern British cuisine
A handsome Georgian coaching inn, in a charming Northumberland village, with six spacious, boutique bedrooms. With a relaxed, rustic-chic feel, it’s good for a stylish, country getaway whether you want to be active or read a book around one of the wood-burning stoves. See More
Matfen Hall Hotel Matfen, Northumberland 53 rooms from €172Country Escape - A charming 19th-century Gothic mansion surrounded by 300 acres of parkland, with a rose-filled gardens and plenty of walking.Foodies - The Library Restaurant has been awarded 2 AA Rosettes for its robust, yet refined Northumbrian cuisine.Local markets - Check out what local produce Hexham has to offer, as well as nearby Corbridge.Great walks - With 300 acres to explore the park is full of walking and jogging trails.
A stately mansion, wrapped in parkland, that has carefully added a spa, leisure centre and golf courses without losing its grandeur. Bedrooms are contemporary-classic or old-style grand, and there’s a choice of eating options from fine-dining to pub classic. A has-it-all country escape. See More
The Cookie Jar Alnwick 11 rooms from €184Great walks - The nearby coast has some beautiful beaches for a long walk.Sights nearby - Alwick Castle is just on the doorstep.Restaurant - Weekend Bistro.Full of character
The former Convent of Mercy now converted to a fabulous boutique hotel in the heart of Alnwick. Rooms are individually designed and have character with contemporary furnishings and fabrics. The garden with terrace and fire-pit is a great place to relax. Excellent cuisine served in the weekend Bistro See More
St Valery Alnwick, Northumberland 4 rooms from €196Active Holiday - There's plenty to keep busy with locally whether you want to cycle, walk, golf or horse rideRomantic Break - Choose one of the rooms with an in-room bathtub large enough for two for a romantic settingSights nearby - Both Holy Isle (Lindisfarne) and Bamburgh Castle are a short drive awayGreat walks - Head out on strolls along the coast or on longer walking trails
A small boutique B&B set in a Victorian villa just moments from the beach. Beautifully designed rooms boast Egyptian cotton sheets, fireplaces, sash windows, & some have oversized in-room bathtubs. Complete with an honesty bar & standout breakfasts, this adult-only stay is ideal for romantic breaks. See More
Marshall Meadows Hotel Northumberland 27 rooms from €202Romantic Break - Pick the Master Suite for its grand four-poster and free-standing bath or a suite with a private hot tub for a romantic stayCountry Escape - With spacious grounds, fine dining, and beautiful countryside to explore - this is a spoiling rural getawayShort break - Edinburgh and Newcastle are only 40 minutes by train, making this ideal for a quick rural weekend getawayGreat walks - Cocklawburn, Cheswick and Goswick, south of Berwick, offer long sandy stretches for walks and fossil-hunting
Overlooking the sea, close to the English-Scottish border, this gem of a Georgian manor house has been carefully modernised without losing its charm and elegance. Bold seaside colours, a handful of hot tubs, smart dining and an airy conservatory make for a relaxing stay. See More
Walwick Hall Hexham, Northumberland 10 rooms from €225Sights nearby - Walk along Hadrian's Wall and visit the sights of Chesters, Housesteads and Vindolanda Roman Forts.Great walks - Great walking through the surrounding Northumberland countryside.Local markets - Visit the Hexham market.Views - Great views from hotel
A handsome Georgian house that practically sits on Hadrian's Wall, with a fresh, country-house style and peerless views over the countryside. Smart food plus a bijou leisure centre and spa. See More