Search the best hotels in Lake Placid
About Lake Placid
Tucked amidst New York’s breathtaking Adirondack Mountains, Lake Placid gained fame as a 1980 Winter Olympics venue, and continues to charm year-round visitors with its abundance of natural wonders. Accommodation options range from simple rural hideaways to luxurious lakeside lodges, fit for a whole host of tastes and budgets. Whether they’re at the water’s edge or hidden in the surrounding countryside, the best places to stay in Lake Placid brim with warmth and character.
With 46 peaks over 4,000 feet, the Adirondack Mountains are marvellous for thrill-seeking explorers. Come during the winter months for skiing, snowboarding, ice skating, tobogganing, snow shoeing and dog sledding in stunning surroundings. Local businesses are well-equipped for both experienced sports fans and eager beginners, so this is also a great family choice. Summer visitors can hike, horse ride or mountain bike. Whiteface Mountain — the only one of the peaks which can be summited by car — is brilliant for expansive views towards New York, Vermont and Canada. Head to Lake Placid or Mirror Lake for sailing, kayaking, fishing and swimming.
Back in town, don’t miss the Lake Placid Olympic Museum, the Historical Society Depot Museum or the burgeoning crop of great bars and eateries. Popular with couples, friends and families throughout the year, the best places to stay in Lake Placid can book up very quickly. It’ll be hard to believe that you’re just five hours’ drive from New York!
The Best Places to Stay in Lake Placid
For Lake Views
- Mirror Lake Inn is an indulgent lakeside hotel with 131 sumptuous rooms and suites, decorated in a classic Arts and Crafts style. Expect floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the lake, an indoor swimming pool, three onsite eateries and a soothing spa. For couples, friends or families.
- Lake Placid Lodge sits on the western shore of Lake Placid, offering guests 30 comfortable rooms and suites with plenty of period charm. Highlights include an elegant restaurant, big stone fireplaces and lots of lake-focused things to do. Children aged 12+ are welcome.
- The Haus on Mirror Lake is a collection of one- and two-bedroom lofts with self-catering facilities, a cool, contemporary feel and superb lake views. Great for families or groups, and within easy reach of heaps of outdoor activities.
For a Rustic Hideaway
- Lake Placid Stagecoach Inn offers rustic rooms in the oldest building in the area. Expect wood-panelled walls, quilted bedspreads and an old-fashioned cabin feel. This is a rural retreat with a trendy twist: think gourmet breakfasts, handcrafted cocktails and s'mores by the fire. For outdoorsy couples or groups eager to experience all the nearby activities.
- The Whiteface Lodge is a deluxe hotel for keen explorers of all ages, with all-suite accommodation featuring handmade Adirondack-style furnishings, fireplaces and fully equipped kitchens. The 8,000-square-foot spa, outdoor and indoor swimming pools, bar and restaurant are a welcome treat after days on the slopes, river or forested trails. Kamp Kanu offers activities galore for little ones. A family hideaway favourite.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY COTTAGE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Adirondack Regional Airport, 30 minutes from Lake Placid by bus or taxi. The closest Amtrak station is in Westport, 40 miles away.
- Alternatively, contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Time your trip for the summer months (June to September) to enjoy warmer temperatures, ranging from 20 - 25°C. Autumn is slightly cooler, but the blankets of red, orange and yellow leaves are seriously striking. Winters are wonderful for skiing, with the best snowfall expected between December and March.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Saratoga Springs.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in New York State.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Lake Placid
Best Hotels in Lake Placid
Mirror Lake Inn Lake Placid 131 rooms from €161Secluded setting - Set among the waters and woods of upstate New York far from the hustle and bustle of modern life.Swimming Pool - Seasonal outdoor poolOn the beach - Private beach accessViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
Lakeside inn with rustic accents and plush home comforts. Interiors are decorated in a simple Arts and Crafts style with emphasis on wood panelling, calm neutrals and well-crafted furniture. Floor-to-ceiling windows open rooms up to panoramic lake views. Three dining establishment and on-site spa. See More
Lake Placid Stagecoach Inn Lake Placid 5 rooms from €220Active Holiday - Have a real adventure with hiking trails, kayaking and canoeing, snowshoe, cross country and downhill skiing trails, all nearbyGreat walks - Explore and discover the hiking trails surrounding the innRestrictions on children - No children under the age of 13Kayaking - Available locally.
A vintage boutique inn set in the most historic building in Lake Placid. Five authentic, luxury and spacious suites with antique furnishings, molten brown products and sweeping vistas. Enjoy a delicious two-course gourmet breakfast on the porch. Sit by the fire pit and sip on handcrafted cocktails. See More
The Whiteface Lodge Lake Placid 94 rooms from €252Back to Nature - Go hiking through the dirt-and-pine scented woods, sample freshly tapped maple syrup or even jump in the lake for the brave!Swimming Pool - Year-round heated outdoor swimming pool with view of the Adirondack Mountains. Also indoor pool.Lakeside - The Whiteface Lodge is 5 minutes’ drive from Lake Placid and is 1.6 km from Mirror Lake.Kids Club - Kamp Kanu is an on-site program for entertaining children with activities and games.Recommended by - Tablet
Rustic deluxe hotel for outdoorsy folk who like a cosy bed to snuggle into after a day on the slopes, the river, the road or the trail. All-suite accommodations feature wood panelling and kitchens, and some have fireplaces and hot tubs. Two pools, gym, sauna, spa, salon. Ice parlor, restaurant, bar. See More
The Haus on Mirror Lake Lake Placid 10 rooms from €345Back to Nature - Unbeateable lakefront location means days are spent admiring calming lake and mountain views; they're stunning all year roundGroups - Several suites feature two bedrooms, full kitchens and spacious living and dining areas to hang out after a day of exploringActive Holiday - Eastern Mountain Sports is located next door, meaning getting kit for the area's many outdoor activities couldn't be easierRomantic Break - Book Suite 10 for a special weekend. It boasts outdoor fireplace, private deck, special lake access and a loft bedroom
Luxurious apartment hotel on the banks of Mirror Lake. Cool loft-style apartments with period arched windows and tall lakefront balconies feature contemporary decor and fully-stocked kitchens. Options include multi-bedroom suites, jetted tubs and fireplaces. No restaurant but endless options nearby. See More
Lake Placid Lodge Lake Placid 30 rooms from €359Hideaway - Nip out of your hectic big city lifestyle and tuck yoruself away into this charming location with its natural splendour.Back to Nature - From the wood panneling of the hotel itself to the fresh air, clear lake water and healthy forestland all around.Views - Watch the sun rise and set over Lake Placid from your room.Sights nearby - A mere 10-min drive from the Olympic Jumping Complex.Recommended by - Tablet
Lake Placid Lodge caters to creature comforts with traditional Adirondack hospitality. Nestled on the west shore of Lake Placid, rooms and suites offer panoramic lake views. Stone fireplaces, wooden beams and authentic pieces for sale add to the charm. Elegant restaurant serves fresh artisanal fare. See More