10 of the Best Budget Hotels in Copenhagen
Copenhagen is known for being hip and classy - which does not necessarily equate to inexpensive. But it’s actually not too challenging to make a modest budget go a long way here. There are lots of wonderful districts which are perfect for exploring and a spot of window shopping, and some of the museums, like the Danish Museum of Art and Design offer free entry on Sundays. Our Guru’s list of the best budget hotels in Copenhagen is a good place to start planning your visit.
If your budget is really limited our Guru’s recommendations includes a great hostel in the trendy Vesterbro district, where you can stay for around £25 per night (in dorm style accommodation). But if you’re looking for somewhere reasonably priced which still feels luxurious and is packed with Danish chic our Gurus have some great recommendations for under £130.
10 of the Best Budget Hotels in Copenhagen
Copenhagen's Best Budget City Break Hotels
- If you’re on a really limited budget then Urban House, which is in the trendy Vesterbro district and offers accommodation starting from £25 per night, is your best bet. It’s a hostel, with work space, a bar and even a tattoo parlour! There are a variety of room sizes, including dormitory style, and the decor is minimal with stripped wooden floors.
- Fans of Scandi style will love the Hotel Alexandra, a 61 room hotel just 200metres from the Tivoli Gardens and packed with wonderful mid-century Danish furniture. There’s an excellent restaurant, a trendy bar and a library.
- Citizen M Radhuspladsen is a modern and quirky, centrally located hotel in typical Citizen M style, and featuring murals and artwork by established Danish artists. The jazzy open-plan lobby is the real focal point, with a multitude of comfy bright sofas, statement lamps and carpets, and a hip bar. Rooms boast enormous beds and great views. A hip and buzzing base!
- M18 is a 12 room hotel in the heart of Copenhagen. Simply dressed rooms are decorated in monochrome tones and are light and airy. Expect a warm welcome, indulgent breakfasts in a simple breakfast room and excellent transport links.
The Most Romantic Budget Hotels in Copenhagen
- Guldsmeden Bertrams is another great option if you’re looking for something romantic and a bit different. This eco hotel in the Vesterbro district has 47 beautiful white on white rooms with four poster beds and balconies overlooking a lovely garden. There’s a lovely lounge and a lively kitchen cafe.
- The Avenue Hotel is a 68 room hotel converted from a graceful 19th century building decorated with stylish Danish designed furniture and Missoni throws. There’s a lounge with live music and fantastic cocktails.
The Best Value Hotels for Families in Copenhagen
- Ibsens Hotel is a great value boutique hotel in the colourful neighbourhood of Nansengade. There are plenty of restaurants and cultural attractions nearby, but you’re also right by an excellent transport hub, so you’re pretty close to everything.
- Wakeup is a huge hotel in central Copenhagen with 510 contemporary, white-washed, chrome-floored rooms with plenty of natural light and splashes of green. There are rooms of all shapes and sizes including some great suites, family rooms and family suites. And the rooms on the higher floors have amazing city views.
Copenhagen's Best Budget Hotels outside the City Centre
- The Ocean Hotel isn’t really a hotel at all, more of a B&B with seven spacious bedrooms. It’s in a pretty, residential suburb, which is also just minutes from the airport and yet there’s a metro stop nearby to whizz you into central Copenhagen.
- The Skovshoved Hotel is an elegantly restored hotel on the coast in Charlottenlund. There are just 22 romantic rooms featuring white-washed walls, four-poster beds, wooden floors and sea views. There also a Michelin recommended French/ Italian restaurant.
Once you’ve found your accommodation, here are a few tips they shared for getting the most out of Copenhagen.
- Skip the harbour cruise and opt for one of the Movia Harbour buses, which start at Refshaleøen island and will take you past the royal buildings, Christianshavn and Teglholmen.
- Hire a bike and get around town like the locals do - plenty of hotels offer complimentary bike hire.
- Copenhagen’s Noma is one of the world’s great restaurants, but there are other ways to taste great Scandinavian food, and the street food revolution is taking over here too, both in the centre of town and in a development around the warehouses of Papirøen Island.
- The Lego shop offers an alternative to Legoland.
Still not sure which one of our Guru’s recommendations for the best budget hotels in Copenhagen might be perfect for you? You could:
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Copenhagen?
- Or, if you’re travelling with your kids check our our Guru’s recommendations for 10 of the Best Hotels in Copenhagen for Families?
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
10 of the Best Budget Hotels in Copenhagen
Urban House Copenhagen (Vesterbro) 217 rooms from €29Value chic - Stylish budget accommodation in a great locationRestaurant - Food served all day from Breakfast bags to late night snacks.Sights nearby - Visit the stunning Opera House
A lively hostel in the trendy Vesterbro district of Copenhagen. There's a sociable bar, cool work space and even a tattoo parlour. Rooms vary from "shoebox" for singles to dorms. All are simple in style with minimal furnishings and stripped wooden floors. Ideal for groups or those on a budget. See More
Avenue Hotel Copenhagen 68 rooms from €139City Style - The classical perfection of the 18th century architecture meets cutting edge interiors by top Danish designers.Designer - Stunnig interiors by top Danish designers.Views - Great views from hotelFull of characterRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Frommers, Michelin Travel, Tablet
19th Century boutique offering a great value stay in Copenhagen. Clean, modern, well-equipped rooms (some sleep four) feature Danish designs & Missoni throws. Hang out in the lounge for live music, fantastic cocktails and small bites. A great choice for city visitors and families. See More
CitizenM Radhuspladsen Copenhagen 238 rooms from €131City Style - A stylish and arty central base great for shopping and sightseeingSights nearby - Head to the famous Tivoli Gardens and the Botanical Garden nearbyViews - Great views from hotelLively - Hip and happening.
A modern and quirky central hotel featuring murals and artwork by established Danish artists. The jazzy open-plan lobby is the real focal point, with a multitude of comfy bright sofas, statement lamps and carpets, and a hip bar. Rooms boast enormous beds and great views. A hip and buzzing base! See More
m18 Copenhagen 12 rooms from €146Local exploring - Ideally positioned in the centre of Copenhagen with excellent transport links.Sights nearby - View the iconic Little Mermaid statue.
Skovshoved Hotel Copenhagen (2920 Charlottenlund) 22 rooms from €218Restaurant - A Hereford Beefstouw specialises in quality steaks but also serves plenty of seafood and vegetarian dishes.Great walks - Walk to two of Copenhagen's best beaches Bellevue strand and Charlottenlund beachpark.Fishing - We will arrange guided tours in the historic fishing camp Skovshoved.Lively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - I Escape, Michelin Travel
A country and seaside retreat just outside Copenhagen. It oozes romance and elegance, but with a hip twist. Ethereal bedrooms with white washed walls, four poster beds, wooden floors and sea views. This chic, historical, family run hotel is a perfect place to stay, whoever you are. See More
Guldsmeden Bertrams Copenhagen 47 rooms from €143Sights nearby - Tivoli Gardens amusement park is a must for all visitors to the city.Restrictions on children - No children allowed.Lively - Hip and happening.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Tablet, Frommers
Hotel Alexandra Copenhagen 61 rooms from €121City StyleSights nearby - Just 200 metres from Tivoli Gardens and Town Hall Square.Restaurant - Vietnamese inspired cuisineLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Tablet
Wakeup Copenhagen 510 rooms from €81Value chicViews - The rooms on the higher floors have spectacular city viewsSights nearby - Tivoli Gardens, Town Hall Square.Lively - Hip and happening.
Ocean Hotel Copenhagen 7 rooms from €138Families - No need to leave anyone at home - you can even bring the dog along!Local exploring - Nearby metro station means you can get around like a localLocal markets - Bredgade is famed for its antique shopsViews - Views of the Øresund Bridge
Ibsens hotel Copenhagen 118 rooms from €156Spa - Oriental Ni’mat Spa at Ibsens' sister hotel Kong Arthur.Sights nearby - World-famous Little Mermaid statue.Local markets - Good for local colour.Restaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - I Escape, CN Traveller