- ✓ Book Online Now
- ✓ Save time, save money
Devon’s Most Romantic Hotels
Peacefully beautiful in places and dramatic and impressive in others, Devon offers the romance of a windswept walk over heathlands or moorland and the sensual crash of the waves on the shore and the feeling of sand between the toes. And all in one day. Possibly followed by a perfect evening of fish and chips on the beach or a gourmet extravaganza in a setting as stylish as any. The north coast has Exmoor and the south Dartmoor, and in between are thatched, whitewashed cottages, traditional stone longhouses and graceful manor houses - some of which have now been converted into Devon’s most romantic hotels.
There are plenty of idyllically lovely properties to choose from when curating a list of Devon’s most romantic hotels, but our Gurus have come up with a wonderfully varied collection which includes both traditional favourites and some of the region’s chic new offerings.
Devon’s Most Romantic Hotels
Devon’s Most Romantic Hotels with a View
- The Cary Arms is a boutique hotel with the charm of a Great British pub and an enviable clifftop position. There are eight, chic, white-washed rooms, glorious spa and a hearty, gastro-pub style restaurant.
- The Hotel Endsleigh is a great honeymoon choice for outdoors-folk, with its intimate, stylish decor by Olga Polizzi and beautiful views over a private stretch of river. Converted from a hunting lodge, this is still a great place for fishing, shooting and rambling, and at the end of the day there are fairytale suites, gourmet cousins and fireside sofas.
- Dartmouth’s Dart Marina Hotel is right on Dartmouth’s busy harbour and offers 49 chic rooms a luxurious spa and a AA Rosette awarded restaurant. The decor is chic, in pale shades and there are self contained apartments as well as rooms and suites.
- The Salcombe Harbour Hotel is on the edge of pretty, bustling Salcombe, and offers spectacular estuary views, wonderful terraces, a spa, pool and cinema.
Devon’s Best Hotels for a Romantic Country Escape
- Tor Cottage is an idyllic B&B hidden away down a quiet country lane surrounded by 28 acres of beautiful countryside. The owner is known for doing a fabulous full English, plus most rooms have a log burning stove and a private terrace. There’s also a pool. Sigh. Great for walkers too.
- Blagdon Manor has just seven rooms, so it’s more like a restaurant with rooms than a proper country house hotel, but it comes have the rural, secluded, relaxed feel of the best country house hotels, plus beautiful established gardens and spectacular views over Dartmoor. The cuisine is excellent, and makes the best of the wonderful local produce on offer.
- The Old Rectory Hotel is right by to the coast within the Exmoor National Park, so the views are incredible and the atmosphere is relaxed and peaceful. You’re 500meters from the Exmoor coast path and a 30minute drive from beautiful Woolacombe Beach.
Devon’s Most Romantic Hotels for Foodies
- Kentisbury Grange is a converted manor house surrounded by pretty gardens right on the edge Exmouth National Park. The grange has 16 rooms, decorated in a contemporary style and a superb restaurant by Michelin-starred chef, Michael Caines.
- Gidleigh Park Hotel is a super luxurious Dartmoor retreat on 107 ares of beautiful land. There are 24 plush rooms, all with original art and antiques and huge sash windows, plus a Michelin-starred menu served in a grandiose, atmospheric dining room.
- The Arundell Arms Hotel has beautiful views across Dartmoor, and is surrounded by beautiful gardens which slope gracefully down to the river. The 21 rooms are spacious and comfortable and there’s an award-winning restaurant, and an award-winning fishing school.
Romantic Devon Hotels with Hot Tubs
- Orestone Manor Hotel in Torquay is a Georgian manor house overlooking Lyme Bay, turned 11 room vintage chic hotel with bold wallpapers, antique furnishings and a lovely private garden. The food is also very good, and if you book the Garden Suite you’ll have your own private terrace with an outdoor hot tub.
- The Soar Mill Cove Hotel also has rooms with private outdoor hot tubs, plus spacious self-catering options and generous rooms and suites. The food is delicious, with an emphasis on local produce, there are stunning sea views from private patios and the Devon Coast Path is right on the doorstep.
- The Watersmeet Hotel is a classic seaside hotel with 25 rooms and fabulous views over the north Devon coast. The restaurant is good, serving locally sourced food, and you’ve got direct access to the South West coastal path and the beach.
If those properties appeal to you why not check out our Guru’s full collection of hotels with hot tubs in Devon
Devon’s Most Affordable Romantic Hotels
- The elegant Horn of Plenty Hotel is a luxurious country house in the beautifully rural Tamar Valley, right on the edge of Dartmoor. There are 16 modern, comfortable room and fine dining in the 2 AA Rosette rated restaurant. Rooms start from around £110 per night.
If you haven’t found your idea of Devon’s most romantic hotels on our Guru’s list you could:
- Consult our Ultimate Guide to the Most Romantic Hotels in the UK,
- browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Devon,
- or our Guru’s collection of hotels with hot tubs in Devon,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Devon’s Most Romantic Hotels
Cary Arms 8 rooms from €222Torquay (South Devon)
A boutique hotel with the charm of a British pub. The cliff top position makes for stunning views. Chic white washed rooms mix traditional features with modern simplicity. Hearty gastro-pub styled food is served at the restaurant. A glorious spa. An excellent choice for a family holiday.Total relaxation - Lazy days eating seafood on the terrace, followed by customised holistic treatments in the spa using Yon-Ka products.Families - Three cottages with three, four or five rooms are ideal for families.Great walks - Jump onto the South West Coast Path National Trail spanning for 630 miles through stunning landscapes.Fishing - The Inn provides rods for the pier and nets for fishing in rock pools.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Johansens, Sawdays
Hotel Endsleigh 18 rooms from €217Milton Abbot, Devon
Historic shooting lodge offers an intimate, Olga Polizzi styled stay. Relax in the stunning grounds or in the library. Beautiful rooms overlook the valley and stretch of private river. Italian meets Spanish cuisine with Jose Graziosi's delicious dishes. Good for outdoor-types and families.Exclusive offer - Special OfferFamilies - Babysitting and monitors available plus such delights as picnics (complete with lanterns and blankets) in the grounds.Honeymoons - Fairytale suites, gourmet cuisine, cosy fireside sofas and incredible grounds for strolling hand in hand- enchanting!Country Escape - Extensive grounds for fishing, shooting, and rambling, plus plenty of comfy armchairs for the weary walker!Sights nearby - The National Trust and its stately homes make for a great day exploring - Cothele House, Saltram House and Castle Drogo.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Good Hotel Guide, Kiwi Collection
The Old Rectory Hotel 15 rooms from €205Martinhoe, Devon
A very relaxed hotel nestled in the Devonshire countryside. A secluded escape with well-styled rooms and excellent, locally-sourced food. Guests can take many delightful walks to local beauty spots within Exmoor National Park. The perfect place for a quiet weekend away.Fishing - Woolacombe Beach is just a 30 minute drive away.Great walks - 500 metres from the Exmoor coastal path.Surfing - On nearby Woolacombe Beach.Kayaking - Can be arranged locally.Recommended by - Sawdays, Johansens, Good Hotel Guide, I Escape
Tor Cottage 5 rooms from €171Devon
Situated down a quiet country lane amidst 28 acres of Devon's finest countryside you might just miss this property. From her famous full English to the old school country charm, owner Maureen runs an idyllic B&B. There is a pool and most rooms have a working log burner and private terrace.Sights nearby - The National Trust properties of Lydford Gorge, Cotehele House and Buckland Abbey are all worth a visit.Great walks - Wonderful walking for all abilities in the surrounding countryside, plus Dartmoor on the doorstepBack to Nature - Spot the odd deer or pheasant wondering past from the comfort of your own bed or private terrace!Local markets - Open six days a week you have no excuse not to visit the 900 year old Pannier Market.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
Soar Mill Cove Hotel 20 rooms from €181South Devon
Relaxed family friendly hotel a couple of miles from Salcombe. Spacious rooms and suites, some with private patios and stunning sea views. Delicious food with an emphasis on local specialities. Wonderful walking on the doorstep and a warm welcome for canine guests too!Great walks - The Devon Coastal path is on the doorstepFamiliesPrivate Hot Tub - Book one of the Ocean View self catering units for your own outdoor hot tub.Spa - Wide range of treatments on offer from facials to massages to reflexology.
Blagdon Manor 7 rooms from €177Beaworthy, Devon
Quiet and secluded country house hotel overlooking peaceful rural landscape. Primarily a restaurant with rooms the chef serves up quality food inspired by the local produce. Charming rooms feature chintz fabrics and wooden beams. Established sweeping gardens. Ideal for a relaxing weekend.Country Escape - A beautiful country property with roaring fires and homely feel, set in a charming village with spectacular views over Dartmoor.Foodies - Excellent cuisine making use of all that Devon has to offer from local partridege, to homemade chutney with West Country cheese.Great walks - Some of the most beautiful Devon walks start from very near the manor such as Germansweek Trail and Tetcott Trail.Fishing - Fish for salmon, sea trout, brown trout, grayling and coarse across a number of sites in Devon and Cornwall.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
Gidleigh Park Hotel 24 rooms from €308Chagford (Dartmoor)
Super luxurious and pampering Dartmoor retreat, on 107 acres of mature grounds. The plush rooms come with antique furnishings, original art and huge sash windows. The Michelin stared food is served in an atmospheric and grandiose dining room. Peaceful, restful and totally heavenly.Fishing - Fly fishing on the River Teign - licenses and tuition providedRestaurant - Michael Wignall's award-winning restaurantGarden - Beautiful landscaped gardenGreat walks - There are inumerable lovely walking trails both on thr 107 acres of mature grounds and on nearby Dartmoor.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Frommers, Johansens, Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux, Sawdays, Michelin Travel
Arundell Arms Hotel 21 rooms from €182Lifton, Devon
A truly English hotel overlooking Dartmoor, close to the Cornish border. Beautiful gardens, sloping down to the river, with an award winning fishing school. Spacious and comfortable rooms with sleek country house interiors. Dine on local produce at the award winning restaurant. Bliss.Exclusive offer - Make Sunday Special OfferFoodies - Award winning restaurant, run by famed head chef Steven Pidgeon- plus a fine wine list and spectacular service.Active Holiday - Perfect for an active holiday with plenty of fishing, walking and shooting available in the local area.Great walks - Close to Dartmoor - true definition of English countryside, with plentiful walks for all levels of commitment.Fishing - On a 20 mile stretch of the River Tamar with private fishing rights and equippment for guests.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
Watersmeet Hotel 25 rooms from €153Woolacombe, Devon
Classic seaside hotel with fabulous views over the North Devon coast. Tastefully refurbished rooms reflect the beach side location and the restaurant offers delicious food sourced from local ingredients. An romantic hotel for a seaside break and ideal for a family holiday too.Spa - In room treatments available plus steam room and jacuzziViews - Amazing sea views from all but two of the bedroomsOn the beach - Direct access to a sandy beach below the hotelGreat walks - South West coastal path on the doorstepRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Johansens
Dart Marina Hotel 49 rooms from €182Dartmouth (South Devon)
This property, in Dartmouth's buzzing harbour has a luxury spa and an AA Rosette awarded restaurant. Chic rooms in pale palettes are bright with large windows overlooking the River Dart. There are also self-contained apartments. This property is perfectly located to explore Dartmoor.Sailing - This hotel is places perfectly for sailing enthusiasts of all abilities.Sights nearby - Dartmouth and Kingswear Castle are both nearby and a great day out!Romantic - Good for couples.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide
Kentisbury Grange 16 rooms from €148North Devon
Kentisbury Grange, a converted manor house, situated in pretty gardens on the edge of Exmouth National Park. Rooms are contemporary in style with crisp white linen, roll-top baths and soft hues. Boasting a superb restaurant by Michelin-starred chef Michael Caines. The ideal country escape.Foodies - Boasting an award winning restaurant headed by Michelin-starred chef Michael Caines.Country Escape - A charming rural property in the pretty county of Devon.Sights nearby - Make a trip to the pretty coastal villages of Lynton and Lynmouth.Great walks - Explore the miles of trails that run through Exmoor National Park.
Orestone Manor Hotel 11 rooms from €125Torquay (South Devon)
Georgian manor house hotel, overlooking Lyme Bay. Most of the spacious rooms feature Mediterranean views across Torbay. The decor is vintage chic with antique furnishings and bold print wallpaper. Excellent food, secluded lawns and peaceful porches, a haven.Garden - Attractive outside space.Great walks - Exe Estuary boasts miles of cycle and foot paths, exceptional views, beauttiful sandy beaches and is teeming with wildlife.Private Hot Tub - Book the Garden Suite for your own private terrace with outdoor hot tub and wonderful sea views.Sights nearby - Torre Abbey and The Agatha Christie Mile are both nearby and great informative day trips!Recommended by - Frommers
Horn of Plenty Hotel 16 rooms from €148Tavistock, Devon
Luxury and elegance make up this country house in rural Tamar Valley on the edge of Dartmoor - a peaceful stay in stunning grounds. Modern, comfortable rooms are unique in style and capture the view. Fine dining at the 2 AA Rosettes restaurant. A perfect adult retreat.Groups - If you want your own country house just for the weekend then this is the place for you. Exclusive use is avaliable.Foodies - The award winning restaurant tantalises your taste buds with its locally sourced, seasonal and inventive menu.Great walks - With all of Dartmoor on your doorstep there is no excuse for sitting inside.Sights nearby - Dartmoor National Park and The Eden Project are both nearby.Recommended by - Johansens, Sawdays