The Ultimate Guide to the Most Romantic Hotels in the UK
It doesn’t have to be expensive or luxurious. It doesn’t have to be in the middle of nowhere. And it doesn’t have to have four-poster beds, private hot tubs or complimentary champagne. All of these are romantic touches, but our Guru’s recommendations for their ultimate guide to the most romantic hotels in the UK are a magical mixed bag of obvious choices and less-known-treasures.
They’ve broken the list up not by location but by the kind of hotel you’re looking for - so if you do want all out luxury or an intimate hideaway then you’ll find their top picks easily. And you’ll soon be booking yourself in to one of the most romantic hotels in the UK. Sigh…
The Most Romantic Hotels in the UK
The Most Romantic Hotels in the UK For a Special Occasion
- Cliveden House is a grand neoclassical country pile, a National Trust treasure, and probably still best known for its part in the Profumo affair. But it seems like everyone who’s ever been anyone has stayed here, from Churchill to Chaplin and Lawrence to Lennon. There are 44 rooms and 15 suites, but staying here still feels like you’re staying in a country home rather than a hotel. There are original Old Masters on the walls, a spa which boasts Canadian cedarwood hot tubs as well as a whirlpool jacuzzi, boats on the river, two pools and a truly wonderful afternoon tea.
- The Corinthia Hotel isn’t the most famous of London’s grand hotels, but it’s probably the most irresistibly seductive. Beautifully restored and the the right amount of glitz and glamour, the decor is creative and impeccable, the flowers are always perfect, there’s an exceptional choice of dining options, and an excellent afternoon tea service, plus an award winning spa. And you’re right in the heart of things.
The UK’s Best Honeymoon Hotels
- The Torridon is a remote country escape on the shores of Upper Loch Torridon, with just 18 rooms and 53 acres of park and woodland. The decor its a wonderful mix of Scottish country house opulence and contemporary design. And there’s a seriously good restaurant and whisky bar.
- It’s not overseas, but it is over the sea, Longueville Manor in St. Saviour, Jersey, is a 14th century manor house turned 30 room hotel, surrounded by lovely gardens. There are tennis courts and a croquet lawn, plus fine dining in the 3 AA rosette restaurant, four-poster beds and every luxury you might need.
The UK's Most Romantic Country House Hotels
- Danesfield House Hotel and Spa is a spectacular Italian Renaissance mansion turned country house hotel, just outside Henley in Marlow-on-Thames. This 79 room property is a romantic charmer, surrounded by 65 acres of beautifully landscaped gardens leading all the way down to the river. As well as having a top spa, the hotel has an excellent restaurant.
- The Hotel Endsleigh is an historic shooting lodge in the Tamar Valley in Devon, now styled by Olga Polizzi into an intimate, 18 room hotel. There are beautiful rooms, two fairytale suites and a villa, many of them overlooking a private stretch of river. The Italian meets Spanish style food is very good and they arrange private picnics on the grounds - and babysitting if you need it.
The UK's Most Romantic Seaside Hotels
- Driftwood Hotel overlooks Cornwall’s Gerrans Bay, and has 14 light, airy, marine inspired rooms and a Michelin starred restaurant. Private and right on the coast.
- The Old Quay House Hotel in Fowey is a boutique, 11 room property with estuary views, crisp, minimalist rooms and an inventive restaurant.
- The Scarlet is a relaxed, adults only (a rarity in Cornwall) eco-friendly designer hotel overlooking Mawgan Porth beach. There are superb views and a great cocktail lounge and stylish restaurant. And the hot tubs here are very special indeed – they come heated by real log fires, and are outside, for fabulous sunsets, and star-gazing at night. Of all the many UK hotels with hot tubs, this is one of our favourites.
The Most Romantic Hotels in the UK for a City Break
- Prestonfield is a beautiful hotel surrounded by peaceful gardens - but just five minutes from Edinburgh’s Royal Mile. There are 23 bedrooms decorated opulently and with wonderful detail, plus there are spectacular public spaces: three drawing rooms, a whisky bar and a fine restaurant.
- It might not be a big obvious choice for London, but Hazlitt’s in the West End is a wonderful Georgian-built boutique hotel in the thick of the action on Frith Street in Soho. It’s elegant, a bit quirky and extremely memorable, with a wonderful literary heritage.
- Now here’s one of those big London names you were expecting, The Berkeley. A legendary institution with views of Hyde Park and easy access to the best of Knightsbridge. The restaurants, bar and spa are topnotch and the service is impeccable.
- The Witchery by the Castle is famous in another city, Edinburgh. Its nine rooms are superbly located on the Royal Mile, within a Gothic building known for its romantic and eccentric interiors and Scottish restaurant.
The Most Romantic Hotels in the UK with Hot Tubs
For many of us it’s the ultimate way to unwind, so if you love the idea of your own hot tub, check out our Guru’s ultimate guide to UK hotels with hot tubs, or consider these highlights:
- The Lake District boasts two excellent luxury hotels that offer the hot tub experience. The first, Gilpin Hotel and Lake House, offers a tempting offer of 'us and them', because if you splash out you get the much more private Lake House Suites, which have exclusive use of their own spa, as well as a romantic cedarwood hot tub on the lake edge.For romantic liaisons where you want absolute privacy amongst the finest landscape nature can offer, Gilpin Lodge is near unbeatable.
- Second, The Samling above Lake Windermere has long been a favourite of foodies and romantics – it's a small and charming country house hotel set amidst lovely walking country, overlooking the lake. Their outside hot tub is another with panoramic views.
- South Lodge Hotel is a classic country house retreat near Horsham, West Sussex, with 89 individually designed rooms and suites with handmade mattresses and pillow menus throughout. You’re surrounded by 93 acres of park and gardens and beyond that you have views of the South Downs. One of the restaurants has a Michelin star, the other two AA rosettes. Both the Godman and Farriers Suites have their own private terraces with hot tubs.
- The wonderful Vineyard at Stockcross, is a five star country escape close to Newbury, with a magnificent health centre and lovely grounds. The hot tub is inside, so good for all weathers, and can seat up to six comfortably. It's a great place to sip a glass of ice cold champagne before dinner.
The Most Romantic Hotels in the UK for Foodies
- The Great House in pretty, medieval Laverham, is a luxurious, five room hotel with a French chic restaurant with 3 AA rosettes. Rooms start from around £95 per night.
- Kinloch Lodge on the Isle of Skye is a wonderfully quiet 15 room lodge just a short drive from Skye Bridge. The rooms are traditional and filled with natural light and there’s a stunning Michelin starred restaurant.
The Most Romantic and Remote Hotels in the UK
- South of Belfast in rural Northern Ireland, Newforge House is a six room country house hotel. Built in the elegant Georgian era, the decor has been updated sympathetically where needed. One of the passionate owners is a professional, and accomplished chef.
- Ardanaiseig, on the beautiful banks of Loch Awe in Argyll is a glorious, and eccentric, baronial mansion turned 18 room country house hotel, with stunning views and award winning food. For real privacy choose the boat shed, which is right on the water.
- Also to the north of these isles, Duisdale House near Sleat on stunning south-east coast of the Isle of Skye, is a 19th century hunting lodge with 18 rooms. The gardens are beautiful. Great for those who love the great outdoors.
The Most Romantic Hotels in the UK for under £100 per night
- The Printworks in Hastings, is a hip, seaside haven converted from an old print works. There are just two rooms, decorated loft style, with a bohemian feel. Rooms start from around £80 per night.
- The Miller of Mansfield is a traditional, ivy-covered inn in the pretty village of Goring-on-Thames. There are 15 individually designed suites, views of the river and the restaurant is well reviewed. Rooms start from around £80 per night.
- Somerset’s The Swan is a wonderful gourmet pub escape in the charming village of Wedmore. The rooms are luxurious, with stand alone bath tubs, and contemporary decor, and there’s a fabulous restaurant with food by the River Cottage’s Tom Blake.
- Morecombe’s beautiful Art Deco Midland Hotel is also under £100 per night, and offers beautiful, chic rooms and stunning suites, all with sweeping sea views and access to an excellent spa.
- The Bailbrook House Hotel, just outside Bath, is a tastefully renovated historic house with 2 acres of private gardens and wonderful views.
If you haven’t found your idea of the most romantic hotels in the UK on our Guru’s Ultimate Guide to the Most Romantic Hotels in the UK you could:
- Browse our Ultimate Guide to UK Hotels with Hot Tubs for relaxing inspiration?
- Or consider our Guru’s list of 25 of the UK’s Best Country House Hotels?
- Or our Guru's list of the most romantic hotels just outside London?
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
The Most Romantic Hotels in the UK
Cliveden House 44 rooms from £468Taplow, Berkshire
Grand country house hotel close to London, expensive but luxurious, with historyExclusive offer - Kids stay freeSwimming Pool - Indoor and Outdoor PoolsCountry House - Grand neoclassical pileAntiquesRestaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Frommers, Kiwi Collection
Prestonfield 23 rooms from £252Edinburgh (Priestfield Road)
Opulent extravagance at the Prestonfield just 5 mins from the Royal Mile in Edinburgh. Come for attentive service, divine bedrooms and spoiling galore. Fine dining is served in an ultra romantic setting. The concierge have a 'nothing's too much' attitude. Best for a truly indulgent stay.Romantic Break - This hotel oozes glammour, romance and seduction, with its wildly opulent canopied beds, rich fabrics and roaring fires.Local exploring - The best of both worlds- set in 20 acres of spectacular parklands, yet within spitting distance of Edinburgh.Great walks - Don't forget your welly boots, there are 20 acres of parkland to explore.Restrictions on children - Adults onlyRecommended by - Frommers, Good Hotel Guide, Kiwi Collection
South Lodge Hotel 89 rooms from £315Nr Horsham, West Sussex
Classic luxury country retreat in 93 acres of parkland and woodland. Views over the South Downs, Michelin-starred restaurant, sumptuous rooms.Private Hot Tub - Book the Godman or Farriers Suite for your own private terrace with hot tubFour poster beds - For romantics.Views - Great views from hotelTraditionalRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Michelin Travel
Danesfield House Hotel and Spa 75 rooms from £279Marlow-On-Thames, Buckinghamshire
Romantic Italian Renaissance style country house set in 65 acres of beautiful landscaped gardens leading down to the River Thames. Individually designed rooms offer traditional or contemporary interiors and lovely views. Excellent restaurant and spa. Perfect for some downtime away from the city.Exclusive offer - Let the Summer B'Gin PackageSpa - The Spa Illuminata Danesfield House offers pool, jacuzzi, steam room and a vast range of face and body treatmentsSights nearby - Pretty Thameside town Marlow is just 3 miles away, plus Windsor and Henley are close byGreat walks - There are lovely walks round the gardens and plenty of riverside amblesSwimming Pool - 20m indoor poolRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
Longueville Manor 30 rooms from £170St Saviour, Jersey
Country estate style 14th century manor house hotel with lovely gardens around a pool. Excellent facilities including tennis court & croquet lawn, and fine dining. Four poster beds and traditional, luxury furnishings. Deeply comfortable.Traditional5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux
The Scotsman Hotel 59 rooms from £195Edinburgh
This historic hotel overlooking Edinburgh Castle, was formerly the HQ for the Scotsman newspaper. Come for Michelin star restaurant, close promiximty to Princes St and a world-class gym. Chic interiors in traditional rooms.Swimming Pool - State of the art stainless steel indoor poolGreat walks - Calton Hill, is just a short stroll from the hotel, enjoy 360 views of the city at the city's UNESCO World Heritage Site.Sights nearby - Overlooking Edinburgh Castle.Views - Good city views.Recommended by - Fodors, Frommers, Good Hotel Guide
Hazlitt's 27 rooms from £215London (West End)
This charming Georgian boutique is full of character and literary associations since 1718. This townhouse is in thick of it on vibrant Frith Street, home to lively bars and popular restaurants. Elegant wood paneled rooms are the perfect base, relax with a book or explore town as and when you wish.Lively area - In the thick of the action.Full of characterTraditionalRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet, Frommers, Good Hotel Guide
Driftwood Hotel 14 rooms from £220Near Portscatho, Cornwall
Sitting in privates acres, this chic and intimate hotel overlooks stunning Gerrans Bay. Light, marine inspired rooms are the perfect example of comfort meets plush. A Michelin Star at the restaurant makes dining a spoiling yet casual affair, matched by a fine wine list. A dream Cornish location.Great walks - Grab a hotel picnic and head out through the private estate right down to the coast and explore the beautiful beaches!Fishing - Right on the coast, there are plenty of fishing boats to rent for the day with equippment and guides if necessary.Hideaway - A hideaway location just off the beach and in extensive private gardens, why would you leave?Surfing - No trip to Cornwall is complete without a surf session in the bracingly cold Atlantic.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Sawdays
The Witchery by the Castle 9 rooms from £365Edinburgh (Royal Mile)
Superbly located at the gates of the Castle, on the Royal Mile, sits this intimate, Gothic hotel. The rooms are luxurious, romantic & eccentric – think candlelit, wood paneling and plenty of velvet. Enjoy delicious Scottish food in the equally atmospheric restaurant.Foodies - Serving Scottish beef, lamb, game, the Witchery's famous steak tartare, briny-fresh seafood platters and even some haggis.Romantic Break - The glamourous, plush yet cosy interiors with love seats, four poster beds, and plenty of candles are perfect for couplesSights nearby - In the heart of the Old Town on Edinburgh's famous Royal MileFull of character - Theatrical red & gold, velveted roomsRecommended by - Frommers, Good Hotel Guide
Old Quay House Hotel 11 rooms from £200Fowey, Cornwall
Boutique luxury in the heart of Fowey with ample amounts of sea air, estuary views and contemporary charm. Crisp, minimalist rooms are breezy and comfortable. The restaurant serves an inventive menu of local seafood delights. An ideal spot for a romantic mini break away from city life.Great walks - Wonderful walking all around this area, a particualr favourite is the picturesque Hall Walk, which ends in pretty Polruan.Sights nearby - The ruins of St Catherine’s Castle sit on the edge of the town and command spectacular views of the harbour.Sailing - Yacht rental is available nearby, head off with a professional skipper or simply charter your own course.Kayaking - Kayak rental is possible from the village of Golant, the perfect way to explore this stunning coast.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Kiwi Collection, Sawdays, Tablet, I Escape
Kinloch Lodge, Skye 15 rooms from £218Isle of Skye
Stunning scenery, dazzling food and plenty of peace and quiet just a short drive from the Skye Bridge. The elegant and traditional rooms are filled with natural light. A cosy sitting room with an open fireplace is the ideal spot to unwind with a whisky. Exceptional Michelin Star cuisine.Foodies - Foodies won't be able to resist the stunning Michelin Star restaurant- check out the taster menu with excellent wine pairings.Romantic Break - A picturesque south Skype romantic retreat offering excellent food, roaring fires, chic suites and long country walks.Great walks - Venture on a Wild Walk with resident naturalist Mitchell Partridge, packed lunches are provided on request.Fishing - The area won't dissapoint, keen anglers can fish for salmon, brown trout and rainbow trout.
The Vineyard at Stockcross 49 rooms from £194Newbury, Berkshire
5* country escape close to Newbury in Berkshire, just an hour from London. A 30,000 strong wine cellar in a luxury hotel with award winning spa for the ultimate pampering. Spacious rooms and suites offer elegant comfort. The perfect country getaway for romance, girlie breaks or simply a great meal.Foodies - Head chef Daniel Galmiche specialises in classic french/Mediterranean cuisine with a modern twist.Spa - Award wining spa with a wide range of therapies and treatments on offer.Sights nearby - 10 minutes from Highclere CastleGreat walks - On the South DownsRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House 31 rooms from £215Windermere, Cumbria
Immaculate, country house hotel, with luxurious bedrooms and private suites, plus a Michelin starred restaurant. A separate Lake House with suites, pool, spa and rooms with private Hot Tubs. Set in 40 acres of stunning surroundings with a picturesque lake and lots of activities to offer nearby.Foodies - Chef Hrishikesh Desai knocks it out of the park everytime, he crafts exciting menus using locally sourced wonderful ingrediants.Romantic Break - Six of the incredible suites come with their own private gardens and cedarwood hot tubs, ideal for a romantic getaway!Country Escape - 20-acre gardens filled with magnolia, cherry blossoms and copper beech, not to mention the stunnig private lake.Fishing - Fishing can be organised on site, either on the private lake or a day trip to somewhere nearby.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Relais & Chateaux, Sawdays
The Scarlet, Cornwall 37 rooms from £195Mawgan Porth, Cornwall
Relaxing, purpose-designed eco-friendly hotel overlooking Mawgan Porth beach. Contemporary furniture and modern local art adorns bedroom walls. Great sea views from the cocktail lounge and stylish hotel restaurant. Fantastic spa facility for ultimate relaxation and great outdoor activities nearby.Romantic Break - You, your loved one (and even the pooch) can enjoy an indulgent coastal staySpa breaks - Excellent spa with a range of Ayurvedic treatmentsSwimming Pool - Outdoor and Indoor PoolGreat walks - South West Coast Path.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
The Samling Hotel 11 rooms from £220Ambleside
A small luxury hotel boasting both chic interiors and fabulous views of Lake Windermere. Individually styled rooms are light and airy with bold colours, antiques and softly patterned fabrics. Offering exemplary cuisine and a choice selection of wines, this is a rural escape designed for indulging.Country Escape - A smart base offering access to arguably some of the UK's finest countryside.Active HolidayFoodiesSailing - Cruise across Lake Windermere and enjoy spectacular views.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Michelin Travel
The Torridon 18 rooms from £220Ross-shire
Country escape on the shores of Upper Loch Torridon. 53 acres of park and woodland provide many outdoor activities. Scottish country house opulence twinned with contemporary designs. Seriously good restaurant and whisky bar.Bar - Over 300 Malt Whiskies available in the Whisky Bar not forgetting their very own Arcturus Gin and Cushie Doos Tonic.Restaurant - 3 AA RosettesSailing - Sailing tours on S/Y a 13 m sailing yacht both within the loch and to the Isle of Skye and the Outer Hebrides.Sights nearby - Boat cruises available off the west coast for dolphins and if you're lucky whale watching.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
Ardanaiseig 18 rooms from £109By Taynuilt, Argyll
A glorious country house hotel, touched with eccentricity and a little bit of magic. Luxurious decor, stunning views and wonderful food on the banks of Loch Awe.Romantic - Book the 'away from it all' boat shed.Restaurant - Award winning food with 3 AA Rosettes.Fishing - Superb angling for trout, salmon, sea trout and perchViews - Fabulous views across Loch Awe
Hotel Endsleigh 18 rooms from £190Milton Abbot, Devon
Historic shooting lodge offers an intimate, Olga Polizzi styled stay. Relax in the stunning grounds or in the library. Beautiful rooms overlook the valley and stretch of private river. Italian meets Spanish cuisine with Jose Graziosi's delicious dishes. Good for outdoor-types and families.Families - Babysitting and monitors available plus such delights as picnics (complete with lanterns and blankets) in the grounds.Honeymoons - Fairytale suites, gourmet cuisine, cosy fireside sofas and incredible grounds for strolling hand in hand- enchanting!Country Escape - Extensive grounds for fishing, shooting, and rambling, plus plenty of comfy armchairs for the weary walker!Sights nearby - The National Trust and its stately homes make for a great day exploring - Cothele House, Saltram House and Castle Drogo.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Good Hotel Guide, Kiwi Collection
The Great House 5 rooms from £99Lavenham
In the heart of one of Suffolk’s most perfect and peaceful medieval villages is Lavenham, and the delightful Great House restaurant and small luxury hotel. French chic meets quintessential English charm; the combination is pretty special.Foodies - The restaurant has been awarded 3 AA RosettesSights nearby - Situated in the heart of medieval LavenhamRomantic - Good for couples.Four poster beds - For romantics.Recommended by - Sawdays, Good Hotel Guide
Duisdale House 18 rooms from £168Sleat, Skye
Escape to this rural nineteenth century hunting lodge on Skye's stunning south-east coastline. Explore the extensive gardens and local beauty, before retreating back to cosy four poster beds in surprisingly modern interiors. Look out for statement wallpaper. Great for a romantic weekend away!Traditional - A nineteenth century hunting lodge that has been converted into a hotelGreat walks - Skye is renowned for its fantastic walking for all abilities.Views - Great views from hotelSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Newforge House 6 rooms from £190Craigavon, Co. Armagh, County Armagh
Sophisticated family-run country house hotel with excellent food. Original Georgian interiors have been updated with modern elegance - fireplaces, large sash windows, paintings, and tasteful furniture are highlighted by lots of natural light and subtle tones. A romantic escape with plenty to offer.Foodies - Fine three course dining offering seasonal dishesGreat walks - Lurgan, Moira and Hillsborough ParksSights nearby - Lurgan Park & Brownlow HouseSailing - Kinnego MarinaRecommended by - Sawdays
The Berkeley 214 rooms from £480London (South West)
Stunning Grand Dame with impeccable service opposite Hyde Park, offering beautiful rooms and suites, some with terraces and many with great views, a rooftop pool, iconic bar, pampering spa and gourmet dining. The perfect luxury city break.Bar - The Blue Bar, a fashionable Art Deco institution popular with celebsSwimming Pool - Outdoor Pool with great viewsFull of characterRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Tablet, Fodors, Frommers, Kiwi Collection, Michelin Travel
The Printworks 2 rooms from £100Hastings, East Sussex
Hip seaside haven housed in an old printworks once home to the local rag. The property combines cosy comfort with loft style interiors to provide an upmarket bohemian sleepery an hour from LondonSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.
The Swan 7 rooms from £85Wedmore, Somerset
A gourmet little pub in a charming village with gorgeous rooms. Luxurious rooms have enormous stand alone bath tubs, contemporary furnishings and DVD players. Fabulous restaurant and acclaimed chef. The perfect spot for a romantic jaunt in the Somerset countryside.Foodies - Fantastic food from River Cottage's Tom Blake.Value chicSights nearby - The medieval cathedral in Wells.Great walks - Mendip Hills to the north.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
Midland Hotel 44 rooms from £94Morecambe, Lancashire
Fabulous Art Deco classic seaside hotel brought back from the dead and transmogrofied into a chic, sleek, ocean liner of a hotel. Sweeping seaviews, stunning suites and a spa. Plus Morecombe to explore.Views - Great views from hotelDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Spa
Miller of Mansfield 15 rooms from £90Goring on Thames, Oxfordshire
Traditional ivy-covered inn in village setting. Acclaimed restaurant, bar, individually designed suites, Overlooking the river.Romantic - Good for couples.TraditionalGreat walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
Bailbrook House Hotel 94 rooms from £95Bath (London Road West)
Newly renovated historic property on the outskirts of town. Set amid 20 acres of private gardens, Bailbrook House enjoys great views over both city and surrounding countryside. Ideal for both leisure and business travellers.Four poster beds - For romantics.TraditionalSights nearby - Well located for major sights.
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel 14 rooms from £100Luss, Argyll
Comfortable rooms, glorious views of beautiful Loch Lomond, excellent locally-sourced gastropub food and friendly service on the Luss Estate.Views - of lovely Loch LomondSailing - on Loch LomondFour poster beds - in one roomOutstanding location