Search the best hotels in La Paz
About La Paz
Nestling in a valley between two towering Andean peaks, La Paz is the highest administrative capital of the world, standing at 3,600m high! An exotic and colourful chaotic mess of narrow winding streets, old colonial facades and incense-heavy churches, shamanic open-air markets and rowdy all-female indigenous wrestling matches, the city is an urban jungle bereft of any obvious touristy sights. But therein lies the charm. The city itself is a museum of colour and tradition, and it boasts - according to several guides - one of the best nightlife's in the world for travellers. Ideally placed between the Amazon and the Andes, La Paz is the perfect stepping stone for exploring the wider region, whether you're taking a day trip to the gorgeous mountain lakes of Tuni Condoriri or Palca Canyon. Browse through our list of the best places to stay in La Paz to start planning your trip.
What not to miss
- Take the Mi Teleferico cable car system across the city.
- Watch some indigenous cholitas, (costumed female wrestlers) wrestle in El Alto.
- Explore Palca Canyon or Tuni Condoriri on a day trip.
- Visit the Feria 16 de Julio, Latin America's biggest open-air market, where you can buy anything from SUV's to herbal remedies.
- Check out the National Museum of Ethnography and Folklore, and immerse yourself in the local El Alto culture.
- Walk down Calle Jaen, La Paz's most well preserved colonial street, and visit some of the boutiques, galleries and museums there.
- Buy some shamanic potions, powders and amulets from the Mercado de las Brujas - the Witches Market!
Colourful, wild and brimming with life, La Paz is the perfect place for young backpackers looking for a truly authentic South American experience. Our collection of the best places to stay in La Paz has something for everyone from luxurious spa properties to charming boutiques.
The best places to stay in La Paz
- Stannum Boutique Hotel & Spa: offering chic and minimalist rooms adorned with crisp metallic colour schemes, with spellbinding views of the city, and a pampering spa. Ideal for young couples.
- Atix Hotel: sleek and modern, boasting fantastic views over the city, offering beautifully-designed minimalist suites. Enjoy a drink at the trendy bar, fine-dine at the gourmet restaurant or take a dip in the pool. Cosmopolitan luxury at its finest.
- Casa Grande: a gorgeous hotel on the outskirts of the city, offering stylish and chic-modern rooms, an atmospheric cocktail bar, gourmet restaurant and a pampering spa. Perfect for couples looking for relaxation and intimacy.
- Casa de Piedra: chic accommodation, right in the heart of the city. The traditional colonial-era property has been beautifully renovated perfectly mixing the old and new.
- Hotel Rosario La Paz: a charming guesthouse located in a colonial-era property in the centre of La Paz, Bolivia. Featuring warm and inviting rooms and superb traditional cuisine.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- The best time to go is between March and April when the temperature ranges between 6 and 18 degrees; during the summer months, the temperature reaches as low as -1 degree, and there is heavy rainfall.
- Fly to El Alto International Airport, 8 miles from La Paz, and get a shuttle bus to the city centre.
- If you want to rent a car we recommend contacting our partner Rentalcars.
- The cable car system of Mi Telegerico is great for hopping around the chaotic city.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include our options in Santa Cruz de la Sierra.
- Browse through all of our recommendations of the best places to stay in Bolivia.
- Or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in La Paz
Best Hotels in La Paz
Stannum Boutique Hotel & Spa La Paz (Torre Multicine) 40 rooms from £80Great walks - Beautiful walking through the nearby Botanic Gardens.Sights nearby - Visit the nearby Metropolitan Cathedral La Paz.Local markets - Explore the bustling La Paz street markets.Views - Great views from hotel
Stylish, contemporary hotel overlooking the city of La Paz. The aesthetic is definitively chic with minimalist rooms and crisp, metallic colour schemes. Its standout feature is the staggering views out over the city. Its location and business centre make it a good option for conference use. See More
Hotel Rosario La Paz La Paz City Centre 41 rooms from £69City Style - Sitting in a heritage property with a traditional interior courtyard, this hotel has lots of local charm and styleFoodies - Foodies will love the hotel's fusion restaurant, featuring a blend of local and international dishesLocal exploring - With a central location in La Paz, this hotel makes a great base for local exploringLocal markets - Visit the renowned Mercado de Las Brujas or 'Witches Market', a popular market for alternative remedies
This charming guesthouse is located in a colonial-era property in the centre of La Paz, Bolivia. The warm and inviting rooms feature local handicrafts and traditional furnishing, as well as comfortable double or queen-size beds. Sample Bolivian cuisine in the hotel restaurant; a welcoming city stay. See More
Casa de Piedra La Paz City Centre 15 rooms from £74City Style - Situated in a restored heritage property in La Paz, this hotel has lots of local city styleFoodies - Foodies will love the hotel's Bolivian restaurant, serving speciality Bolivian delicaciesLocal exploring - With its central location, this hotel is a great base for local exploring in La PazSights nearby - Visit the Metropolitan Cathedral of La Paz, the city's main Catholic church with an intricate interior
This hotel offers accommodation in a traditional, colonial-era property in La Paz, Bolivia. Rooms are spacious and boast unique heritage features, from wooden beams to part-exposed brick walls; book the king suite for extra living space. Sample Bolivian cuisine at the restaurant; a charming hotel. See More
Casa Grande, La Paz La Paz (Calacoto) 65 rooms from £112Total relaxation - With a deluxe pool and a range of hydrotherapy treatments on offer, it's a great place to relax.Local exploring - Perfect for exploring the Bolivian capital of La Paz.Great walks - Excellent walking in the nearby Cota Cota Park.Sights nearby - Visit the Metropolitan Cathedral La Paz.
Exuding a chic modernity, Casa Grande is a superb hotel on the outskirts of La Paz. Boasting stylish rooms, an atmospheric cocktail bar, an excellent restaurant and a range of beauty treatments, it's a great place to retreat to after exploring Bolivia's capital. A sleek stay. See More
Atix Hotel La Paz (between Julio Patiño and Sánchez Bustamante Calaco) 53 rooms from £131City Style - A design hotel for the uber hip. Sip on cocktails, revel in the sleek architecture and dine on fine cuisine.Local markets - Pick up local handicrafts at the Witches Market.Sights nearby - Marvel at the views from Tupac Katari Mirador.Romantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Design Hotels
A sleek design hotel boasting epic panoramic views. Beautifully designed suites and rooms are minimalist in style; think chic panelled head-boards, contemporary bathrooms and pops of colour set against a white background. Dine on modern Bolivian cuisine and sip cocktails in the hip bar. Fabulous. See More