Search the best hotels in Fontevraud L'Abbaye
About Fontevraud L'Abbaye
A small stone village in the Loire Valley which became home to what was once the most powerful abbey in France, Fontevraud L‘Abbaye is a beautiful destination for a relaxed retreat. Accommodation options include pretty village B&Bs, as well as lovely boutique hotels fit for a whole host of tastes and budgets. Our recommendations for the best places to stay in Fontevraud L‘Abbaye are ideal for travellers looking to kick back in charming heritage surroundings, with food, wine and cultural attractions aplenty within easy reach.
Established in 1101, the Royal Abbey of Fontevraud is one of the best-known in France. Now a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Abbey was founded by itinerant preacher Robert of Arbrissel and later flourished with the support of the Plantagenets. Eleanor of Aquitaine, wife of King Henry II took up residence in the complex — she is now buried in the Abbey alongside her famous son, Richard the Lionheart. Napoleon turned the complex into a prison in 1804, and the buildings suffered significant damage. Following an extensive renovation in the late 20th Century, the complex is now a fascinating hub for cultural events and exhibitions. Do find out what's on during your trip!
Beyond the Abbey itself, the village is tranquil and picturesque. Spend your days perched in cafés with a croissant or two, pop into the Eglise Saint-Michel and stock up on traditional soaps at Martin de Candre or delicacies at the market. Venture further afield to tour the many surrounding châteaux and wineries of the Loire Valley. Follow cycling and walking routes, try horse riding or kayaking, and feast on delicious food and wine in the area’s delightful eateries. The sophisticated nearby town of Saumur is a particularly appealing spot for foodies.
Whether you’re dreaming of visiting the Abbey or simply unwinding amidst bucolic scenery, the best places to stay in Fontevraud L‘Abbaye promise a serene French escape.
The Best Places to Stay in Fontevraud L'Abbaye
For a central stay
- La Croix Blanche is a family favourite, with a small outdoor pool and flexible accommodation options in a comfortable coaching inn-turned-hotel. Set right alongside the entrance to the famous Abbey, the pretty property is well-placed for exploring the area. Enjoy classic French cuisine at the relaxed eatery.
- Fontevraud l’Hotel promises an elegant, romantic stay within the grounds of the Royal Abbey itself. Expect sleek, stylish interiors, an award-winning gourmet restaurant and magnificent architecture. For couples and travellers looking to immerse themselves in Fontevraud's 1000-year heritage.
For Riverfront Views
- La Marine de Loire is a charming spa hotel in the village of Montsoreau (about 4km north of Fontevraud), on the banks of the Loire River. Pick this place for riverfront views, attractive rooms, suites and apartments and a soothing spa complex. For couples and families looking to explore the villages and vineyards lining the Loire.
For quirky design
- La Demeure de la Vignole is a fantastic property in what was once a traditional troglodyte village (just to the north of Fontevraud). The striking mix of architectural styles means that some rooms have been carved into the rock, whilst others are nestled in a 17th-century building. Well-suited to families or groups, the apartment sleeps up to five people. Interiors are quirky and characterful, and the swimming pool is a particular highlight! Very unusual.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR Villa
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Nantes Airport and travel by bus, train or car to Fontevraud L'Abbaye via Saumur. Alternatively, you can travel by train from destinations across France.
- The Loire Valley is brilliant for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Expect warm weather between June and September. For a quieter trip and great hotel deals, come in the spring (April - May).
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Saumur.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the Loire Valley.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Fontevraud L'Abbaye
Best Hotels in Fontevraud L'Abbaye
La Croix Blanche Fontevraud L'Abbaye (Loire Valley) 24 rooms from £74Local exploring - An excellent base for exploring all that the Loire Valley has to offer from chateaux to bike rides.Sights nearby - The Royal Abbey of Fontevraud is next door! Loire valley chateaux are within easy reach.Restaurant - Recommended.Traditional
An unpretentious hotel located in the heart of the Loire Valley between Tours and Angers, bang next door to the historic abbey at Fontevraud. Large suites and cosy family rooms, plus an outdoor pool. The restaurant has relaxed outdoor dining and serves classic french dishes. Good for families. See More
Demeure de la Vignole Turquant, Loire Valley 12 rooms from £80Sights nearby - A visit to the 900 year old Royal Fontevraud Abbey and the ancient monument of Chateau BrezeFull of character - Individually decorated, unique bedrooms and quirky furnishings.Local markets - Fresh produce from the market in Turquant.Swimming Pool - Heated pool carved into a rockRecommended by - Sawdays
Nestled into the slopes of the Loire sits a unique hotel which was once part of an ancient troglodyte village. Chic, bright furnishings work beautifully alongside atmospheric architecture dating back to the 12th and 17th century. The hotel boasts a fabulous swimming pool carved out of rock. See More
La Marine de Loire Montsoreau, Loire Valley 11 rooms from £100Romantic Break - Unique, pretty bedrooms, sunny gardens, indoor pool and spa treatmentsSights nearby - Mariners’ village of Candes St MartinLocal markets - Local brocante market on weekendsTennis - Courts in the gardenRecommended by - Sawdays
Fontevraud L'Hotel Fontevraud L'Abbaye (33 Rue Saint-Jean de l'Habit) 54 rooms from £134Families - The Duplex Rooms can sleep upto four persons and are ideal for families, plus the restaurant runs a special menus for kids.Foodies - An award winning young chef Thibault Ruggeri runs the in-house restaurant serving incredible regional cuisine.Value chic - It is remarkably good value cosnidering the magnificent settling, Loire Valley location and elegant rooms.Eco break - This eco-friendly hotel uses all natural materials in rooms like solid oak and steel.
Soak up a thousand year old heritage, at this unique hotel set within Fontevraud Royal Abbey. Sleek and stylish rooms embrace modern and contemporary design. Award winning gourmet food and a cool interactive bar bring this already remarkable and majestic setting to life. In a world of its own! See More