- ✓ Book Online Now
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Saumur
Saumur is right in amongst wine producing land, picturesquely positioned between the Loire and Thouet Rivers. As well as producing fine wines this land also produces food in abundance and this is a great spot for foodies. Saumur is also close to a number of châteaux - some of which have now been converted into hotels and B&Bs and are some of the best places to stay in Saumur - and is famously home to the National Cavalry School.
What Not To Miss
- Saumur is well known by history fans for its role during the Second World War, and there are a number of military memorials and both a cavalry museum and a tank museum in the area.
- Most of Saumur’s buildings are made from a distinctive local stone, so there’s quite a magic to the look of the town, perched between the white cliffs which line the rivers to both sides of town.
- Enjoy a taste and a tour of the local vintage at one of the area's wineries where visitors can sample numerous different vintages and see the complete wine making process.
- Chateau de Saumur looms over the town and is fascinating from a historical perspective and houses many works of art and artefacts. The views from the Chateau over La Loire are also definitely worth enjoying.
- Or for something totally different visit the Musee du Champignon - the Mushroom museum situated in caves interesting in their own right! Unsurprisingly there are many different types of mushrooms and visitors can learn all sorts of facts.
The Loire Valley is a hugely popular tourist destination, so the best places to stay in Saumur get booked up well in advance. Our recommendations are all small properties, so we'd advise you to get organised and plan ahead.
The best places to stay in Saumur
For riverside location
- The Château de Beaulieu is a splendid château hotel right on the banks of the Loire. There are just five, elegant rooms, all decorated uniquely with four poster beds, antique furniture and chandeliers. There are also beautiful riverside gardens and vineyards, a billiards room and library, a heated outdoor pool and superb cuisine.
- Manoir Plessis Bellevue is a refined 18th century guest house with river views, outdoor pool and pleasant lawns. Guests can enjoy the peaceful drawing room with large fire place and grand piano. Bedrooms are traditional in style with high ceilings, large windows, four poster beds and period furnishings.
For Chateau B&B
- Château Bouvet Ladubay is a charming, four room B&B set within its own one and a half hectare park. Rooms are elegant, with traditional French decorated plush bathrooms. Plus there’s a heated outdoor pool and pretty breakfast room. This is a lovely, quiet, romantic choice.
- Château de Naze is another converted château, this time dating from the 15th Century and surrounded by its own gardens and an orchard. There are just four plush rooms, with chandeliers and large bathrooms. There’s also a library.
For a central location
- Chateau de Verrieres is a charming Chateau with a stunning 4 acre park. Ten bedrooms, and each beautifully decorated in their own unique style, all equally comfortable. Located just a short walk away from the historic town of Saumur, this Chateau is both the perfect idyll and a launchpad for exploring the region.
For an apartment
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday - don't hesitate to visit our online partner, Booking.com for a selection of properties ideal for exploring the town and the vineyards beyond.
- Fly to Tours Val de Loire Airport located 87km (54 miles) from Saumur with a selection of flights across Europe and to the UK.
- Alternatively, catch a train to Saumur with rail links to Paris via Tours.
- If you want to rent a car to explore the town and charming region - click here for prices and booking with our online partner Rental Cars.
- Best time to visit - the summer from June to August for warm temperatures, ideal for exploring the town and Loire Valley.
Still not sure which to book?
Best Hotels in Saumur
Manoir Plessis Bellevue 5 rooms from £105Saumur
A refined 18th century guest house with river views, outdoor pool and pleasant lawns. Guests can enjoy the peaceful drawing room with large fire place and grand piano. Bedrooms are traditional in style with high ceilings, large windows, four poster beds and period furnishings.Sights nearby - Ideal location for explore the chateaux of the Loire ValleySwimming Pool - Outdoor pool with views over the Loire river.Secluded setting - For escaping.Traditional
Chateau de Verrieres 10 rooms from £129Saumur
A charming Chateau with a stunning 4 acre park. Ten bedrooms, and each beautifully decorated in their own unique style, all equally comfortable. Located just a short walk away from the historic town of Saumur, this Chateau is both the perfect idyll and a launchpad for exploring the region.Local markets - A traditional Saturday market in the nearby town of SaumurGreat walks - Enjoy lovely walks alongside the Loire riverSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool heated from May to SeptemberSights nearby - A visit to the Royal Abbey of Fontevraud
Chateau de Naze 4 rooms from £110Vivy, Loire Valley
15th century chateau within an orchard. Gorgeous rooms have princess-style beds, exposed beams, chandeliers and large bathrooms. Outdoor pool, extensive gardens and library. Secluded, authentic and great value.Romantic Break - Plush rooms with classic French details, large orchard to take a picnic and vineyards in driving distanceSights nearby - Chateaux of the Loire: Saumur, Langeais, Villandry, Ussé, Azay-le-RideauGreat walks - Through hotel's orchard and woods covering more than 17 acresLocal markets - Every Thursday in Longue-Jumelles
Chateau Bouvet Ladubay 4 rooms from £118Saumur (Saint-Hilaire Saint-Florent)
Charming B&B in a park. Elegant rooms have chandeliers, wooden floors, traditional French decor and plush bathrooms. Heated outdoor pool, plant-filled conservatory, neat gardens and pretty breakfast room. A lovely and quiet choice for a country weekend of wine tasting.Country Escape - Set within a 1.5 hectare park, enjoy heated pool, peaceful plant filled conservatory and a trip to nearby wine cellarsSights nearby - Château de Brézé and Château de MontgeoffroyFull of characterGreat walks - Good for walkers.
Chateau de Beaulieu, Saumur 5 rooms from £105Saumur
Splendid chateau B&B on banks of the Loire. Unique rooms exude elegance some with four poster beds, antique style furniture, chandeliers and tiled bathrooms. Heated outdoor swimming pool, gardens and vineyard, billiards room and library. Romantic, with friendly owners.Romantic Break - Four poster beds, roaring fireplace, heated outdoor pool and wine tasting just next door all add up to classic French romance.Sights nearby - Château de Saumur (2.5 km) and the famous ‘Cadre Noir’ Riding SchoolGreat walks - Through the local vineyards and along the banks of the River LoireSwimming Pool - Heated outdoor swimming poolRecommended by - Sawdays