Love The Hotel Guru ! Jackie Maillard.
Search the best hotels in Woodbridge
Woodbridge isn’t quite on the Suffolk coast, which is probably why it’s so often overlooked, but it’s right on the river Deben with fabulous boating opportunities and a working tide mill. So the best places to stay in Woodbridge make ideal bases if you're looking for a holiday full of water based pursuits.
What Not To Miss
- Woodbridge has an historic riverside market which is a great place to pick up some lovely local produce.
- And it’s very close to one of the UK’s most important Anglo-Saxon sites, the excavated burial mounds of the Sutton Hoo.
- Many of the Sutton Hoo’s treasures are now housed in the British Museum, but the Woodbridge Museum is still home to some and to some excellent replicas. There’s also a detailed exhibition about the 1939 find and its relevance.
- Woodbridge’s other claim to fame is as a ship-building and rope-making centre and Edward III and Sir Francis Drake both had vessels built here.
- Woodbridge is just a small town but it’s has some impressive Tudor, Georgian and Regency architecture.
Peaceful and charming, many of the best places to stay in Woodbridge offer a perfect Suffolk break opportunity, with great food and ale, in a great location.
Best places to stay in Woodbridge
- The Crown at Woodbridge is a chic gastropub with ten rooms. The interiors are cool and luxurious and the restaurant is great - offering plenty of local produce including Suffolk ales to wash it all down with. Romantic and foodie-friendly.
For a country house
- A bit out of town, Kesgrave Hall is a handsome Georgian house converted into a charming 23 room hotel with a bustling bar and brasserie and a great terrace - when the weather is right. Commandeered as a American Air Force base during WW2, it’s also been a school. Today there a relaxed family-friendly atmosphere, lots of bold fabrics, art by local artists and great lighting.
- Seckford Hall is a beautiful historic property just outside Woodbridge with 32 rooms and suites. Set amid gorgeous manicured gardens and boasting both an excellent restaurant and newly refurbished spa, it's perfect for a luxury getaway.
For an apartment or cottage
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday, don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a selection of properties perfect for exploring this charming town.
- Fly to London Stansted Airport located 93km (58 miles) from Woodbridge with a range of domestic and International connections including to Europe and Africa.
- Or catch a train to Woodbridge with rail links to major destinations including Ipswich.
- If you want to rent a car to explore the county or visit the coast - for prices visit our online partner Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - the summer months from June to early September provide typically the nicest weather for enjoying the nearby beaches and countryside.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Woodbridge
Kesgrave Hall Ipswich, Suffolk 23 rooms from £135
Good food, good service, and a good night's sleep in a handsome Georgian house. Bustling bar and brassiere, lovely sunny terrace & family-friendly relaxed atmosphere.Great walks - Good for walkers.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.
Hill House Hall Woodbridge 3 rooms from £105
Truly historic and luxury B&B in the classic English town of Woodbridge. Two 14th century rooms and one contemporary room all with en-suite. Original historic decor with beams & ships timbers and delicious breakfast served in the original medieval kitchen. Stunning one of a kind!Writing a novel - Writers and novelists will be inspired by the truly historic architecture and character of Hill House.Sights nearby - The Anglo-Saxon burial site at Sutton Hoo is a short drive away.Restrictions on children - This is an adults only property
Seckford Hall Woodbridge (Suffolk) 32 rooms from £110
A majestic building set in beautifully manicured gardens. Elegant rooms are light and spacious with traditional furniture and fabrics. The best (the Seckford or Tudor rooms) feature antique four poster beds. A spoiling spa and excellent restaurant make this a special stay.Country Escape - Easily accessible from London and surrounded by some of Suffolk's most beautiful countryside.Great walks - Take long walks along the coastal path.Sights nearby - Visit the Viking site of Sutton Hoo.Swimming Pool - Indoor pool
The Crown at Woodbridge Woodbridge 10 rooms from £125
Well known, chic Woodbridge gastropub with rooms, close to Sutton Hoo, in a charming Suffolk village of cafes and boutiques. Good food and local ales.Restaurant - Gastropub foodSights nearby - Sutton Hoo treasures are two miles awayRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays