The 7 Best Country Hotels in the Yorkshire Dales
A trip to the Yorkshire Dales is really all about being in the great outdoors. A rugged and wild part of the United Kingdom - this is a place to come for long walks, hearty meals, and evenings spent by roaring fires. So, picking a hotel in a secluded and scenic spot is highly recommended. Our hotel experts have taken the legwork out of searching for a hotel for you by compiling a concise list of the 7 best country hotels in the Yorkshire Dales. Whether you are looking for a cute cottage or a luxury hotel on a grand estate - we have something for everyone.
For outdoor pursuits
- The Traddock is a charming Georgian country house hotel set in stunning surroundings on the edge of the Dales. Interiors are traditional and the cuisine is organic and award-winning. With a wide choice of country pursuits on the doorstep - particularly good for cyclists - this is a great choice for an active stay.
- The Burgoyne Hotel is a welcoming village hotel with a country house feel. Plush, comfortable rooms boast superb views and excellent modern British dinners are served in an elegant restaurant. Set in a stunning part of the Dales, ideal for all manner of outdoor pursuits from fishing to hiking.
- The Devonshire Fell Hotel is a colourful, contemporary hotel, on the Duke of Devonshire’s Yorkshire estate, with stunning views over a picturesque Wharfedale village. Ideally placed for walks, exploring local villages or picnicking by the river.
For a little grandeur
- Swinton Park Hotel is a striking, castle-like stately-home set in sweeping parkland and offering plenty of on-site activities from fishing and golf to a cookery school and a sleek spa. Expect vast rooms, beautiful views and a choice of two restaurants. Stately grandeur, which is also family friendly, at its best.
- The Devonshire Arms Hotel and Spa is a gorgeous country hotel situated on the Duke of Devonshire's Bolton Abbey estate. Come here for traditionally grand accommodation, excellent food and a very spoiling spa!
For the charm
- Beck Hall is a charming white house set in picturesque and rugged countryside. Traditionally designed rooms have a warm rustic feel, with hardwood furniture and exposed beams. The superb restaurant serves modern British fare using local produce. An utterly idyllic rural retreat.
- Don’t be surprised to see a Maserati or Bentley in the car park, The Yorke Arms really is top of the class with Michelin dining to impress even the harshest of critics, Rolls Royce service and up to date cosy bedrooms. This is a rural abode in full perfection.
Still not sure where to book?
- Expand your search to include the best boutique hotels in the Yorkshire Dales or the best pet friendly hotels in the Yorkshire Dales or the best B&Bs in the Yorkshire Dales.
- Alternatively, browse through all our picks of the best places to stay in Yorkshire.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
The Traddock Austwick, Yorkshire 12 rooms from £125Active Holiday - Set right within the Yorkshire Dales this is the perfect destination for hikers, cyclers, and horse ridersCountry Escape - Cosy interiors, roaring fires, wonky walls, and lovely gardens make this a characterful rural escapeFoodies - The award-winning restaurant serves organic, locally sourced cuisineKayaking - With Yorkshire Dales GuidesRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
Comfortable, charming Georgian country house hotel in stunning surroundings on the edge of the Dales. A picturesque garden, cosy bedrooms and sitting room. Award-winning restaurant with organic food and lovely views. Great country pursuits on the doorstep - a good spot for cyclists. See More
The Devonshire Arms Hotel and Spa Skipton (North Yorkshire) 40 rooms from £168Hideaway - Mouthwatering food, wonderful service, plenty of activities and old school suites complete with fourposters and walk in showers.Active Holiday - With miles of walking, plus clay pigeon shooting, fly-fishing, and falconry available at Bolton Abbey Estate.Spa - The Devonshire is a peaceful oasis with pool, treatment rooms, sauna, hot tub, Rasul temple & relaxation areaFishing - Fly fishing for brown trout and grayling along a 4.5 mile stretch of River Wharfe.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Great Small Hotels
The former Coaching Inn on the Duke of Devonshire's Bolton Abbey estate is now a romantic hideaway spa hotel. Classic rooms exude comfort and style. 3 AA Rosette fine dining, a brasserie, indoor pool and stunning parkland setting makes this a popular place for families, wedding parties and romance. See More
Beck Hall Skipton, Yorkshire 18 rooms from £85Active Holiday - With abundant hiking trails, natural scenery and wildlife to explore, you will spend your days on foot and evenings by the fireFamilies - With a laidback feel, plenty of outdoorsy activities, and the dog welcome too - this is an easy choice for a family breakHideaway - Tucked away in the magical Yorkshire Dales, the village of Malham is a true escapeSights nearby - Visit Wensleydale Creamery to see how England's famous cheese is producedRecommended by - Sawdays
A charming white house set in the picturesque and rugged scenery of the Yorkshire Dales. Traditionally designed rooms have a warm rustic feel, with hardwood furniture and exposed beams. The superb restaurant serves modern British fare using local produce. An utterly idyllic rural retreat. See More
Burgoyne Hotel Richmond, Yorkshire 11 rooms from £167Local exploring - With both the Yorkshire dales and historic sites such as Richmond and Bolton Castle to explore - there's plenty to do locallyActive Holiday - Whether hiking, fishing, horse riding or cycling is your thing - this is a great base for an outdoorsy breakCountry Escape - Charming rural idyll; stone walls, sheep grazed pastures, small hamlets, farmsteads and stone cottagesFoodies - The smart one rosette 1783 Bar and Restaurant serves memorable à la carte menusRecommended by - Sawdays
Devonshire Fell Hotel Skipton (North Yorkshire) 16 rooms from £177Foodies - Feast on the locally sourced 1AA Rosette cuisine in the stylish restaurant, followed by a drink in the cosy barCountry Escape - On the edge of the Yorkshire Dales National Park, surrounded by rolling hills and scenic countryGreat walks - Bring your dog and head out rambling among rolling hills, country lanes and along the River WharfeSights nearby - The UNESCO heritage sights of Bolton Abbey Estate and Fountains Abbey are a short drive awayRecommended by - Sawdays
Swinton Park Hotel Ripon, Yorkshire 32 rooms from £245Families - Magical Yorkshire hideaway in a castle with pkenty of space, interconnecting rooms, and fun activities for kidsCooking classes - Variety of courses run throughout the year at the on site cookery schoolCountry Escape - In a great locality to explore this beautiful and rugged part of the UKHoneymoons - A perfect spot for newly weds to hideaway in rural luxuryRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Frommers