Sao Tome and Principe
Search the best hotels in Sao Tome and Principe
About Sao Tome and Principe
If you're looking for a tropical paradise full of stunning nature and free from tourists, head to Sao Tome and Principe. Located just off the West Coast of Africa in the Gulf of Guinea, most of the best places to stay in Sao Tome and Principe are little tropical hideaways set besides outstanding beaches. There are also a growing number of eco-resorts for those who want a sustainably conscious escape.
Colonised by the Portuguese in 1470, the islands have been independent since 1975. Sao Tome Island offers dramatic landscapes with torrents and waterfalls interspersed with secluded beaches, tropical forests, and cacao plantations.
Principe lies to the northeast of Sao Tome and is often referred to as Africa's answer to the Galapagos. It is almost entirely covered by dense lush rainforests, 20% of whose trees, orchids and birds are claimed to be endemic. It also boasts deserted beaches and has become one of the best places to stay if you're looking for barefoot luxury or simply a romantic retreat.
Africa's second smallest nation (after the Seychelles), Sao Tome's attitude is to take everything slowly. Indeed, the vibe here is so laid back, it's almost horizontal!
Despite their tiny size, there is plenty to interest any visitor to Sao Tome and Principe. A rich cultural heritage will satisfy those who like a bit of sightseeing or for the more intrepid traveller, we suggest you explore the rainforests, gawk at the wildlife, including exotic birds, whales offshore and at certain times of year the nesting turtles.
Use our guide to the best places to stay in Sao Tome and Principe and start to plan your holiday in one of Africa's hidden gems.
The best places to stay in Sao Tome and Principe
- Bom Bom Island Resort is a lovely tropical stay, right on the beach and boasting 20 chic individual bungalows. What's more, they offer big game fishing and the opportunity to land your very own Blue Marlin or Great Barracuda. Enjoy a cocktail on the beach and wonderful meals from the restaurant.
For Sao Tome
- If you prefer the slightly larger Sao Tome island then one of the best places to stay is Omali Lodge. This eco friendly luxury property is perfectly situated for both exploring the Obo National Park (don't forget your binoculars if you're into birdwatching) and making the most of the colourful local scene - think dance, music, food and art! Plus, you're a mere stone's throw away from the beach.
For A Holiday Villa
- If you'd rather the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, booking.com.
- The best time to visit the islands is probably from June to September, the dry season, though be warned that the sky can often be cloudy even at this time of year. The temperature is pretty consistent year round at around 26°C, though in the winter there's a high chance of rainfall.
- You can either fly to Sao Tome International Airport or Principe Airport, depending on which of the islands you're visiting. From the airport, hop in a cab to your final destination.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still Not Sure?
- Take another look at our pick of the best places to stay in Sao Tome and Principe and start to plan your holiday.
- Alternatively, check out our recommendations in Mauritius or the Maldives.
- Or, feel free to contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Sao Tome and Principe
Best Hotels in Sao Tome and Principe
Omali Lodge Sao Tome and Principe 30 rooms from $141Tennis - Tennis court on siteSwimming Pool - Indoor PoolOn the beach - In front of the hotel.
Bom Bom Island Resort Principe, Sao Tome and Principe 21 rooms from $229Swimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Romantic - Good for couples.Birdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.
Tropical island resort situated on an islet just off the north coast of Principe - Africa's answer to the Galapagos. A selection of luxury bungalows extending across two beaches with lush rainforest as a backdrop. Ideal for a beach holiday with plenty to do for those who prefer a bit more action. See More