Search the best hotels in Iruya
Iruya is a small town in the Altiplano region of northwest Argentina. It is not the most accessible of destinations - you have to negotiate fifty kilometres of unpaved road through mountainous territory to get here. However many tourists make the trip, lured by the timeless beauty and tranquility of the place. The best places to stay in Iruya boast stunning views, enabling intrepid travellers to soak up the joys of this splendidly isolated town.
The town is perched on the side of a mountain at an altitude of over 9,000 feet (definitely not one for the faint-hearted or those who fear altitude sickness) and its origins date back to the time of the Incas. There is a church (from around 1690), adobe houses and steep narrow streets and the atmosphere is very evocative of days gone by. People come to Iruya as a place of peace and meditation.
But for those looking for more action you can also hike, go horse riding or simply take in the flora and fauna. It it's culture you're after, check out nearby Titiconte - a pre-Colombian village just 5km away. In October every year is the Fiesta de Nuestra Senora del Rosario, an annual gathering for pilgrims, locals and merchants.
What not to miss
- Explore the beautiful town centre, with history dating back to the Inca's.
- Iruya' church dates for the 17th century - so is well worth an explore!
- Aside from the mountainous tranquility, the more active amongst us can enjoy horse riding and fantastic hiking around the mountains offering spectacular views.
If you plan to visit during this week of celebrations all the best places to stay in Iruya will be very busy, so book well ahead.
For a complete escape
Hosteria de Iruya is a wonderfully remote property with fabulous views of the Andes. The rooms are contemporary and neutral in tone and the restaurant specialises in local cuisine. Quite simply a fantastic ‘get away from it all’.
- The closest airport is the Gobernador Horacio Guzmán International Airport, 179km away from Iruya
- The best time of year to visit Iruya is between November and March, with the temperature peaking at around 20-23 degrees celsius
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars for the best prices.
Still not sure?
Browse our list of the best places to stay in Iruya,
Or contact a friendly guru for advice.
Monthly Weather in Iruya
Best Hotels in Iruya
Hosteria de Iruya Iruya 15 rooms from £79Back to Nature - Wonderfully remote, surround yourself with the epic scenery of the Argentine Andes.Sights nearby - Visit the colourful cemetery next to the property and take a walk up to the Iruya Cross.Birdwatching - This area is home to whole host of birdlife, try your hand at spotting a view varieties.Great walks - Take the San Isidro walk and admire the stunning scenery along the route.Recommended by - I Escape