- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Search the best hotels in Byron Bay
About Byron Bay
Byron Bay, or just ‘Byron’ is probably one of Australia’s best known beach towns. It’s got the spectacular beaches that this whole strip of coastline has and a wonderfully relaxed vibe which flows down from the hippy communities in the hills surrounding the town - Nimbin being the most famous. So it’s fun and relaxed, which is what a lot of people are looking for when they visit Australia… And of course the surfing is excellent. The best places to stay in Byron Bay can be found both grazing the ocean and up in the hills where the views are spectacular and the breezes much cooler.
Cape Bryon Lighthouse marks Australia’s most easterly point and if you can get down here for daybreak you’re in for a beautiful sight. In fact one of our Guru’s recommendations for the best places to stay is just a few minutes stroll away. That’s the best way to do things in Byron, take strolls, enjoy your food at a leisurely pace, relax into the evenings, amble along the beach and don’t come in until it’s really time for bed.
Byron Bay’s natural assets don’t stop at the coast and the sunrise though, there’s great diving, opportunities for whale watching, or to surf in amongst dolphins and a wonderful interior just ripe for exploration.
Byron Bay is just 175kms south of Brisbane and 800kms north of Sydney, so it’s a very popular place to stop along the Pacific Highway, it has a reputation for visitors who turn local, beguiled by the community spirit, reputation for home-based businesses and of course the famously relaxed lifestyle.
Byron is also a bit of a mecca for spiritual pilgrims, and you’ll find plenty of meditation workshops, yoga classes and the like.
What not to miss:
- Rise early and take advantage of the excellent surf.
- Explore under the sea on a diving or snorkelling excursion.
- Hire a boat to spot majestic whales.
- Practice your downward facing dog in a yoga class.
- Visit the Cape Byron Bay Lighthouse perched atop a rocky cliff.
However being such a popular destination means that if you want to guarantee a bed in one of the best places to stay in Byron Bay, you'll need to get organised and book well ahead!
The best places to stay in Byron Bay
- The Bangalow Guesthouse is a heritage property just up the ‘hill’ from Byron Bay in Bangalow. There are only four rooms and the decor is elegant with clean, white lines and original artwork. Enjoy breakfast overlooking Byron Creek from the verandah.
- The Victoria's at Ewingsdale is also just outside Byron Bay, set in four acres of lush gardens near Ewingsdale. The rooms and suites have their own balconies, or else open on to the courtyard. Breakfast is served on the terrace by the palm fringed salt-water pool.
For great value
- The Byron Palms Guest House is a nine bedroom beach house B&B just ten minutes stroll from the centre of town. The house is calm and peaceful and the decor is simple, but smart and spacious. A communal breakfast is served in the sunny garden. Rooms start from around £60 per night.
- Victoria's at Wategos is right on the beach just minutes from the Cape Byron Lighthouse. It has just ten guest rooms, most with private terraces and wonderful ocean views. The interiors are stylish - expect four-poster beds, marble bathrooms with spa baths, and subtle shades of cream, plus there are open fires in the cooler months.
- The Byron at Byron Resort and Spa is a 92 room luxury resort hotel set in 45 acres of rainforest just minutes from the beach. The rooms are light and airy and some have their own kitchens and/or huge freestanding bathtubs. As well as the pool and spa they also offer daily yoga classes.
For an apartment or villa
- If you're travelling with family or a group of friends it may be a better option to book a villa or apartment. For a wide range of properties for all tastes and budgets we recommend you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- The nearest airport is Ballina/Byron Airport around 30 minutes drive away at Ballina (domestic flights only). There is also the Gold Coast Airport around 1 hour away at Coolangatta with domestic and international flights from New Zealand, Singapore, Malaysia, and Japan.
- Byron bay has consistent sunshine. From June to March expect some rain but essentially this is a year round destination.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Holiday Autos.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Byron Bay
Bangalow Guesthouse 4 rooms from $145Byron Bay
A heritage property in landscaped gardens, a stone's throw from the centre of Bangalow. Four elegant bedrooms with clean white lines and original artwork. Wide shaded verandas provide the perfect spot to enjoy breakfast whilst overlooking Byron Creek. A stylish base for exploring the area.Sights nearby - The ideal base for exporing both coastline and interior. Minyon Falls are easily accessibleViews - Lovely views over Byron CreekGreat walks - Explore Byron BayLocal markets - Bangalow Market
Byron Palms Guest House 9 rooms from $78Byron Bay
Stylish beach house B&B just a 10 minute walk from the centre of Byron Bay. Bedrooms are smart and spacious and the house feels calm and peaceful. Enjoy communal breakfasts with owner Peter and relax in the sunny garden before exploring everything Byron has to offer.Value chicSurfing - Surfing Lessons with Black Dog SurfingKayaking - Go Sea Kayaking Byron BayRestrictions on children - No children
The Byron at Byron Resort and Spa 92 rooms from $195Byron Bay
Set in 45 acres of tropical rainforest and minutes from the beach, this luxury hotel offers comfort and style in surfing town Byron Bay. Rooms are light, airy and all have private balconies, kitchens and massive freestanding bathtubs. Great facilities include daily yoga, pool & spa.Lively - Hip and happening.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Fishing - Excellent fishing nearby.Great walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Victoria's at Wategos 10 rooms from $271Byron Bay
Located by the beach and minutes from the Cape Byron Lighthouse, ten guest rooms boast private terraces with wonderful views. Stylish interiors feature four poster beds, white and cream furnishings and marble bathrooms. Fully air conditioned, and open fires for the cooler winter months.Private Hot Tub - All bathrooms have their own spa bathsGreat walks - Cape Byron Lighthouse 15 minute walkSights nearby - Close to Byron Bay centreRestrictions on children - Must be 16 or over
Victoria's at Ewingsdale 9 rooms from $199Byron Bay
Country manor styled luxury guesthouse just outside Byron Bay, set in four acres of lush gardens. Chic rooms and suites feature private balconies or open onto the courtyard. Breakfast is served on a terrace by the pool and picnic hampers can be organised.Swimming Pool - Palm fringed outdoor salt water poolLocal markets - Byron Bay weekend marketsGreat walks - To Cape Byron LighthouseRestrictions on children - Must be 12 or over